Break Time: Eador – Masters Of The Broken World

By Adam Smith on November 23rd, 2012 at 3:00 pm.

I was talking to someone about Crusader Kings II last weekend and about twenty minutes into a hand-waving sermon about how brilliant it is, I realised I’d described it as a turn-based strategy game. It isn’t turn-based, of course, but I spend so much time pausing and pondering that I’ve managed to convince myself that it is. The I started thinking – what was the best turn-based strategy game of the year? XCOM is tactical, I didn’t warm to Fallen Enchantress and Warlock was solid but unspectacular. Have I forgotten something? Eador looks like it might have learned a trick or two from Age of Wonders and even though it won’t be out for Christmas, beta signups have begun. Here’s a new video.

Eador is also seeking attention on Steam Greenlight.

Oh! Unity of Command! It didn’t come out this year but we found it this year and that’s how time works.

Edit: I forgot Endless Space!

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Fanbuoy says:

I tend to see CK2 as TBS as well. It may not be turn based, but i still has that “one more turn” feeling.

2. Zeewolf says:

You’ve forgotten Endless Space.

Eador looks great, though. Definitely looking forward to that.

3. caddyB says:

I clicked on their website, saw a woman actually covered in armor. I’m impressed.

LTK says:

On the other hand, they have cut two holes in the front because apparently the plate armor was too small for those massive knockers. You can’t win, I guess.

4. Entitled says:

Thechnically, CKII and the rest of the Paradox series ARE turn based, it is just that the turns are very short and quick days.

If it would be real time, then it would be possible for one thing to happen at a date’s morning, and then something else later that day while the date is still the same, but it can’t, because the days are turns. Time only moves forward when the calendar turns, not fluidly.

• takfar says:

Exactly. I have to keep reminding everyone of this, whenever they say Paradox titles are real-time. They’re not.

• Malawi Frontier Guard says:

This sentiment comes up again and again (see the people believing Baldur’s Gate is turn-based), but if we go down that road, basically every game is “turn-based” because there’s always some kind of minimal “turn” you can point to in a videogame.

Of course there is a fluidity between turn-based and realtime, like there is in every so-called duality, but these term are conventions to help us easily discern between different kinds of games.

If you call Paradox strategy games turn-based, how do you differentiate between them and the similar-looking but differently-playing Total War series? Wouldn’t it be better to call the Total War map turn-based and the one in Paradox games realtime?

5. mikmanner says:

I’m sorry but WHAT AN AMAZING KNIRFE! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbPWitSTe2k

Llewyn says:

…they rudely interrupted me. “Yes sir, but would you like fries with that or not?

7. mckertis says:

” Eador looks like it might have learned a trick or two from Age of Wonders”

Like…what ? Cant think of any mechanics that would be remotely similar to AoW.

8. Fumarole says:

The new King’s Bounty game?

9. dE says:

That scout picture @12-14 seconds is weird. Like in: really bloody weird. At first I thought it was usual fantasy cliché fare, big guy carrying an unconscious woman. Then I noticed the woman had butterfly wings.

Things only got weirder from there. Where the hell is his left arm? Is the unconscious fairy woman actually the arm? If that isn’t his (their?) arm, then where the hell IS the arm?
    Dear lord, that’s one weird picture.

Diziet Sma says:

Hahahah… holy cow you’re right. That is one bizarre drawing.

• Baines says:

Wow, I cannot figure out what is supposed to be going on in that picture, even with YouTube set to 720p and viewing full screen. The guy’s arm just seems to turn into a fairy’s body. If he was holding her, you should probably see some part of his hand, or at the least his arm or armor. And if he is holding her in a way where his hand is hidden, then its got to be uncomfortable for the fairy girl.

Its like Midori no Hibi, a Japanese comic where a guy wakes up to find his right hand has been replaced by the miniature upper body of a girl that liked him. Except I’m pretty sure that is not what the artist was going for.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Well, it certainly does look like that. Must be rather awkward to walk around like that all the time, too.

10. Slinkyboy says:

We’ll never have a game that’s better than HOMM3. I’m hoping for this though!

11. Triglav says:

Of course, why you didn’t warm to Fallen Enchantress, is beyond me…

One of the most sensible games I’ve played in a long while. After being conned by RPS into purchasing Xcom and shelving it after 35 hours, I’ve already clocked 125 hours on FE…

• Hawk52 says:

I don’t get the cold reaction to Fallen Enchantress from gamers and media. It’s a really amazing game with so much depth. I think it”s a game in five years people will look back on and wonder why it wasn’t a bigger deal.

• scottossington says:

I would say the cold reception has to do with the first game in the series. Gamers can be so unforgiving sometime.

12. Darthus says:

I don’t understand. They obviously put a lot of energy and money into their game and their engine. Couldn’t they get a native English speaking fan to check their video for grammar and narrate it? It’s actually hard to understand what they’re trying to say at some points.

“Unlike other real time strategies, heroes in Eador fight amongst their own army”. Did he mean fight alongside? I was like wait… it’s a feature that your heroes sometimes against their own armies? That sounds chaotic.

• Bios Element says:

It’s not hard at all to understand. It’s not perfect wording but ‘among’ as in with, alongside, etc, makes perfect sense and it’s a small criticism for an otherwise great trailer.