Mad Minimum: Ravaged Drops Price And Demo

By Adam Smith on November 23rd, 2012 at 7:00 pm.

Last time I looked at Ravaged a demo had been released, which can be an effective way to entice new players into a purchase, but people notified me that the demo servers were the busiest of the lot. It’d be fantastic for the developers if all of those people decided to buy the game but their next move suggests that hasn’t been happening. The game launched at £22.99 and is currently £3.49 in the Steam sale. When the sale finishes it won’t revert back to the original price point though – instead it’ll be permanently reduced to £6.99. The demo will also be removed at the end of the sale. Along with those changes, free DLC is on the way and some of the new content can be seen in the video below.

The information is presented via the traditional method of a dubstep nightmare Skype(?) interview between the company’s marketing department and co-founder. There is footage of the game in the background though.

I haven’t actually tried Ravaged myself and I’ve heard mixed things, mostly negative, but would an influx of players help matters? I don’t know. Perhaps the tractor-tank knows.

Here he is. Let’s ask him.

Via Indie Game Magazine.

, , .

1. godofdefeat says:

I think that the drop-price MIGHT positively be for Ravaged.
    I havent played it yet, but i heard mostly negative stuff.

• xavdeman says:

Positive stuff.
      ‘Cuz people who say negative stuff regarding this game must not have played with the helicopters or experienced the rush of the Fuel (CTF, but without the limitations of waiting for your flag to come back, and vehicles) maps. I wholeheartedly recommend this game if you are looking for a bit more twitchy gameplay in Battlefield style maps with great post-apocalyptical art direction.
      You can go prone. No quick-melee. No “ranks” (soon you will optionally be able to play on servers that have ranks). The best looking UE3 game I have ever seen. And the devs seem committed (free DLC and another patch comming soon). Also: it’s and indie title, and it’s only 5 of your currency on Steam right now.

• killmachine says:

totally agree. i really never was a fan of battlefield style games but this game changed my mind. it’s so great how they connect the infantry and vehicle combat. it’s basicly like rage but with actual shooting.

people also compare it to mad max which i cannot understand. the original mad max wasn’t really about cars, races and stuff.

2. grundus says:

Why on earth would they remove the demo after the sale?

• SkittleDiddler says:

Because there were more people playing the demo than there were playing the paid game. The demo offered only two (?) maps, which sucked for paid players forced to get their fix from demo servers.

The latest sale has brought in a lot more people now, so there’s really no reason to have a system that allows demo players and paid players to browse on the same server list. IMO, instead of killing the demo completely, they should have made separate server browsers for each version.

• grundus says:

Surely they could have made it so the demo players play on full version servers but get kicked when a map they can’t use comes up? You know, just to make it inconvenient enough to make the purchase more enticing. But yes, I had forgotten it was multiplayer only, thank you for clearing that up for me. I wonder what effect the closing of the demo will have on the number of players online? I hope it doesn’t kill it completely, that would be a shame.

• MordeaniisChaos says:

Because multiplayer games with demos are a bad idea if they aren’t already going to sell gangbusters. ArmA 2 has the exact same issue, because you can play ArmA 2 Free, most play on the Free demo version, because they are lazy sad sacks who refuse to pay for anything.

• xavdeman says:

Exactly! I played the Battlefield 2 Demo (which only included Gulf of Oman) basically until the expansion for the real game (Battlefield 2: Special Forces) because that map really offered a good experience of the main game. The same with Ravaged, if I recall correctly it has the Bridge map in the demo, which is one of the best maps. So it offers a “Good Enough” experience at zero cost.

3. James Allen says:

Here’s me playing it and offering commentary for 45 minutes. It’s not terrible, but not super awesome. I think the lowered price is fair.

4. mehteh says:

I played the demo and it just didnt have that certain amount of polish I was expecting or looking for in an FPS. theyre very minor issues i have with the game, but its enough that it bothers me.

5. Magnusm1 says:

It’s ok.

6. The Random One says:

I don’t know – when I played the demo only one server had more than one person playing. I played it for a while and then the two people who knew how to play the game left. I was alone with one other demo noob and got stuck at the bottom of a chasm.

From my limited experiences I’d say the game is unfun and while aiming at asymmetry hits only imbalance. Which is too bad, since I’d love a multiplayer shooter which had vehicles and wasn’t Battlefield.

7. Kinth says:

Wanted to play it but can’t, during both the beta and the demo I can pay for a about 10 seconds and then I disconnect from the server, it doesn’t tell me that though, I just lose all control of my character and can’t do anything till I exit.

I’ve done all the port forwarding etc and it happens on every server. I just gave up trying in the end.

• SkittleDiddler says:

It’s not a problem on your end, and it’s been an ongoing issue. Random dropouts and freezes have been plaguing the game since release, but it seems like the devs have gotten it under control for the most part.

Ravaged is a fun little game when it works, but it still needs some serious love in the technical department.

• killmachine says:

i may be wrong but you may check if punkbuster is running.

• Adekan says:

It may also be that P(J)unkbuster is outdated, and not autoupdating as it should. I had this issue all the time whilst playing BFBC2. You can manually update it with their craptastic self update client here

• SkittleDiddler says:

Ravaged uses Punkbuster? I thought it was using something called FairFight Anticheat.

Chaz says:

A big OUUUUCH! For all those that payed £22.99.

Rikard Peterson says:

Well, if you buy a game at launch, you know that it’ll become cheaper in the future. Hopefully, they thought that the game was worth what they payed for it.

Chaz says:

Yeah but what, less than a month later it drops to £6.99 after a sale at £3.49! We all know the price of new games drops after launch but that’s pretty outrageous.

• MordeaniisChaos says:

Nintendo made it up to 3DS owners after several months, this guys should do something for people who paid more than three times as much as it was dropped to less than a month later.

9. skyturnedred says:

Cool…except the game won’t launch for me.

10. SominiTheCommenter says:

SephKing has some pretty amazing screenshots in the forums. Not really sure about the gameplay.

11. Shadowcat says:

Dear tractor-tank,

Would an influx of players help matters?

sincerely,
    RPS

12. Shortwave says:

I regret buying this game.
    This is one of the worst -feeling- fps games I have ever played.
    Which is likely exactly why the servers are empty.
    Along with the other game debilitating bugs.

It should probably just go free to play.

• Baines says:

TotalBiscuit’s WTFs certainly didn’t make it look that appealing. They gave it the vibe of an in-progress mod, not a full price game.

• Sheps says:

That was certainly the vibe I got from it. The game isn’t worth your time let alone your money.

13. killmachine says:

this game actually is a lot of fun and a breath of fresh air compared to the rest of the AAA mediocre modern titles. they managed to combine infantry and vehicular combat in a very fun way. team play is required, some vehicles require extra gunners or you will only able to drive those things on your own. the setting is awsome, the leveldesign is very good, sound assets are amazing, generally the graphics are very nice also and the game runs very smooth.

imho, it was a mistake to release a demo in the era of free2play. you basicly got the full game but only a few playable maps. why should i buy you ask? good question. they should have never released a demo.

you should buy the game anyways because the game does an amazing job considering the fact that it’s been developed only by a handful of indi developers that not even share an office or a workplace. for me this is an oldschool shooter that reminds me to the good old times. it has some bugs and it certainly is not a AAA title but it’s a 1st class indi first person shooter.

• -Spooky- says:

Wait? Old .. what? You are kidding us? Right? Their is no old, no school and nothing new around old fashion gameplay. I´m to old for this shit. Really. ;)

14. The_Great_Skratsby says:

I think the price point is almost perfect for the game. Picked it up during the flash sale, hooo, a bargain.

15. vasek45 says:

Got it during the flash sale yesterday and played for an hour.
    Like people before said, it’s far from good but far from terrible too. I can’t say I didn’t enjoy it for the hour I played it but honestly I just don’t want to play anymore. It’s plain boring with unsatisfying shooting.
    New price if fair though.

16. Scandalon says:

Dear devs – time limited demo on a multi-player only, lower-budget/lower-hype/visibility title!? Um, no. Either make a real demo, or F2P, but I’m not going to re-arrange my schedule to use my limited gaming time on a such a gamble, and I expect most others won’t either.

17. Sheps says:

Wow, that’s disgusting. The game has barely been out a month and the price has been reduced in price by over 50%.

No better way to spit in your early adopters faces than to drop the price so drastically so soon. I’m so ever thankful that I got my refund after playing the beta, what a stupid stupid move devs,