Thumping The Shark: Far Cry 3

By Adam Smith on November 23rd, 2012 at 5:00 pm.

What a difference words can make. If I’d seen this new Far Cry 3 video last week, my first reaction would probably have been to chortle about magical tattoo abilities. After reading Jim’s thoughts on the game, I’m too giddily excited by watching those abilities in action to spend any time laughing at minor bits of silliness. Far Cry 2 was a mess but it still managed to produce some of the finest moments I’ve ever experienced in an FPS, so when I see the words “it has kept what was good…and builds on everything else”, damn straight the lens through which I view the trailers changes. Very excited.

It is perhaps no surprise that a game set on an island has great difficulty crossing oceans. It’s out on November 29th in Europe, November 30th in the UK and December 4th in the US. Along with Assassin’s Creed 3, Far Cry won’t be available on Steam in the UK, although Ubi haven’t specified why and the situation may change. We’ll find out what we can.

Uplay won’t be the only option for purchase, with several other digital distributors gladly accepting British monetary offerings.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Utnac says:

Where’s best to buy this from then? First game I will have purchased Day 1 in ages and would usually go for Steam but that isn’t an option, really don’t want to have to run another piece of software to run the game, just want it to be standalone, will I have any luck?

Don’t have a Disc Drive or I’d go retail.

2. Hahaha says:

STAB MEN or STAB MEN or even STAB MEN

3. Loque says:

Is that a pre-alpha version? Graphics look looks ugly in this video…

4. SuperNashwanPower says:

I am honestly surprised that people were surprised that this is good
    @o@ << surprised face
    FEEL MY SURPRISE

5. brotherthree says:

Zzzzzzz Adam

6. Pindie says:

The vehicle combat is very familiar and I even spotted what seems to be a checkpoint.
    I am having flashbacks to FC2. Which is a bad thing. So far they have menaged to avoid bringing back its specter.

Also baddies getting killed. Yay?

I am sure it’s better than FC2 and yes I have enjoyed FC2 somewhat but my best memory of FC2 is finally earning enough diamonds and side missions to buy the M79 so I do not have to exterminate dismounts – from those god damn cars that kept chasing you everywhere and would always catch up to you – one by one.

7. Radiant says:

I’m disappointed no one cried in this news post.

8. The Random One says:

Geez, Adam, you trust that Jim guy from that glorified blog full of bias? I wouldn’t tell anyone about it.

9. Roz says:

“November 29th in Europe, November 30th in the UK”

Isn’t the UK in Europe?

????

10. DaftPunk says:

I dont like this tattoo abillities,its like we are all noobs for fuck sake..

11. mehteh says:

I was interested until i found out theyre still using Uplay

12. sabasNL says:

A game that comes out first in EU, then UK, then US?
    These are crazy times indeed! (luckily for me though, now I get to play earlier muhahaha)

Comment on this story