Cyberdemon Monday: Doom BFG Source Code Out Now

By Nathan Grayson on November 26th, 2012 at 11:04 pm.

And one and two and three and get shot and jazz hands. OK, now take it from the top.

Doom 3 BFG Edition didn’t exactly make a graceful landing on PC. For one, it crushed the original version flat as Doom 1’s not-exactly-3D character models – leaving mod users without a convenient front door into Doom 3’s rather impressive library of user creations. Happily, however, id and Bethesda took the resulting outrage quite seriously and relisted Doom 3: The Version From Before Incessant Subtitles Took Over The World in short order. Further, they continued to promise that BFG Edition’s source code was on the way. And now, they’ve delivered.

If you’re hoping to mod the BFG Edition or at least take a peek at its RAGE-remodeled¬†guts, simply go here and make with the downloading.

Of course, the BFG Edition gained a rather dubious reputation for being surprisingly PC-unfriendly in terms of robust graphics options and other such standbys. Today, though, id also released a new patch that takes care of that somewhat, upping the ante for V-sync, shadow-casting projectiles, anti-aliasing, checkpoint-disabling, and FOV settings – among others. Elsewhere, a few minor bugs get squashed in the most violent of fashions.

So, right then, new source code. Hopefully this will allow modders to port their projects without too much hassle, but I’m no expert on the nuts and bolts of these things. Beyond that, though, is there any particularly strong interest in this? I mean, there’s some RAGE tech working underneath the hood, but the net effect on Doom 3 didn’t seem too tremendous. Is there more to it than meets the eye, though?

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. bruce_clare says:

just before I saw the receipt ov $7698, I be certain that my brother could actualy receiving money part-time at there labtop.. there aunt haz done this for only 15 months and resantly paid the mortgage on there mini mansion and got a top of the range Lancia Straton. I went here….. bit40 com

• kibble-n-bullets says:

Thank you, spambot. Oh my stars, your offer is tempting.

Edit: It feels like ID is somehow out of their league lately: They’re releasing tech demo’s instead of games and what they do release is fraught with issues.

It’s a path to obscurity, I tells ya.

• dE says:

Not a spambot, but highly relevant to the article – if a bit obfuscated! And it’s scandalous, let me tell you!

Let me translate: So his “brother” was working part-time. With a laptop. Must have been John Carmack hacking away at the source-code. And since we know it’s a pretty common thing to mistake them for brothers, surely we’re talking with Adrian Carmack here.
        So the story is, John Carmack has been working on the source code, getting it ready to release for the public. The real kicker is that their aunt (obvious metaphor for “The corporate man”) has been been messing with it for 15 months and got a mansion and a car from it. Goes to show that one mans honest work is exploited by another. The words “I went here” are merely an expression of “Yeas, I went there, I talked about it. What you gonna do?”

So the real story is:
        The corporate man ripped of Carmack, who had been enslaved to modify the source-code in ways no PC User could ever dream about. Explains the mod lock and console restrictions. The corporate man liked that. Earned shiny corrupted dollars with it. Now Adrian isn’t too happy about that, that’s why he picked this cryptic way to tell us about it.

Now dear brain, get back to sleep. No more caffein for you.

• kibble-n-bullets says:

What did I just read? It was in English. I’m sure of that. Full points on effort though.

• dE says:

I was going to offer you a tinfoil hat but damned, seems like I’m too late and they got to you first. Sorry man.

lazy8 says:

Well explained, great how you could explain such an complicated matter in such simple wording.

Well done..

• The Smilingknight says:

haha… nice one. but you should have gone into more lengthy details and strained family relations and spies and action and international intrigue and forbiden romance and the story of a little boy who found out he was supposed to be a messiah and went on a big search to find his destinay!

or…maybe not.
          anyway, i had a laugh, even in its decaffeinated state.

• Snids says:

Every time someone replies to a spambot, the bot reports back a positive Turing result. The spam-bot mother hive now knows that the bot has tricked the flesh swarm into believing it too, is of the flesh.

When this bot get subsumed back into mother-hive, it shares its learning with the network and reports weaknesses in our defences.

The problem is, we can’t help but be witty when responding to these comments. Mother-Hive knows it could easily send a bot to replicate convincing flesh-speak but she chooses to post gibberish. This way the comment pulls the wit of the human mind towards it. The cold machine-mind, unable to fathom the humour, wit and poetry of the flesh-speak is using us to cloak its true intentions. And we are willingly doing its infernal work. Damn your wit commenters! You’ll destroy us all!

I mean, it’s not relevant in this case, but with other replies maybe…

• stiffkittin says:

I don’t get it. Is he hocking a lab-top? I’d be interested in one of those.

• beetle says:

The lab-top is a kind of budget centrifuge, not worth the $7698 price tag.

• solidsquid says:

I’d assumed it was like the inverted version of a laptop, a computer so big it needs an entire lab to house it

2. stiffkittin says:

I’ll be curious to see if the hyped new tech used in Rage is at all interesting for modders to port to. Particularly interested in that thief mod. My understanding though was that the Rage engine was mostly a fancy way of milking a bit more mileage out of ageing console hardware. I’m currently looking at the 17 GB install of Rage I picked up in the Steam sale and can’t say I’m all that impressed.

• Xzi says:

Your understanding is correct. And maybe this engine will be useful for porting games in five years when tablets are running hardware on par with or better than current consoles, but it’s an exercise in pointlessness for current PC hardware.

• Andrigaar says:

I picked up and played Rage over the weekend. After 5 hours of the main game and some side quests I’d had enough and moved on just plow the meat and potato missions to the end. Would have been only a few more hours if most of the enemies didn’t turn into Russian speaking bullet sponges all of a sudden… UGH.

Rage had graphics, and zero soul, personality or style. Total meh.

3. DickSocrates says:

Mega textures! Every texture stored as one giant texture! Why?! Dunno! Looks like shit when you turn around too quickly! Amazing!

Like most things John Carmack does, I’m sure it makes wonderful academic sense to him, personally. Can’t fault him up until Doom 3. Hopefully Doom 4 is where he gets his groove back and makes an engine that has a sturdier real world application. But maybe it’s too late and tech is too complicated now for an engine made by one man to become widely used?

• Gnarf says:

“Dunno!”

I think the idea was to “solve” some things for level designy types and artisty types.

So that those other devs did not need to deal with stuff like “textures should be this by that large” and “there can be this much textures in the level so now we have to reuse some or throw some away to make room”. Instead they could just texture entire levels more or less however they would like and let the engine (and things) deal with it.

It is probably kind of a long term thing, and something of a tradeoff. And you may or may not think that there is some other way that is the way forward and that this is not it. But I don’t think the “some games look better than Rage” arguments are very strong ones and they usually seem to miss the point a little (unless they’re just arguing that the tech is immature or something).

It is less like a fancy new feature that makes game look better*. More similar to stuff like game development moving to higher level languages.

(*Of course, the no repeating textures thing might matter a little on the player side of things. And so it has been marketed.)

• Xzi says:

If it were only that some games look better than RAGE, it wouldn’t be much of an issue. But it’s more like ALL modern games look better than RAGE. If you take a second to stop and actually LOOK at anything, that is. And that’s just speaking in terms of DX9. Anything in DX10 or 11 makes RAGE look like it comes from the previous console generation. Heck, most of the textures in that screenshot from Doom 3 are higher resolution than those in RAGE.

• Gnarf says:

I’m sure there’s also targeting consoles and 60fps and a bunch of other things in the mix. I’m not really sure if you’re alking about Rage the game or megatexture tech. I was responding to the “megatextures lol why” stuff of Socrates here.

Either way. Carmack appears to like to talk about nerdy stuff like this, and he’s pretty open about things. Lots of stuff people can read and watch/listen to if they’re actually interested in “why”.

• LionsPhil says:

The spin-on-the-spot pop-in seems a fairly fundamental design cock-up, though. The idea’s interesting, and overall fuzziness can be handwaved away with “first attempt” and “lol consoles”, but if it’s dropping textures behind you all the way to slow storage, that’s a pretty crazy assumption that people aren’t going to be turning around quickly in a first-person game.

• Xzi says:

I’m complaining about megatexture. Everything about it seems a step back, unless it was very poorly utilized in RAGE. And I highly doubt that this was the case, as the only way to convince others to use it would be to show it off properly in the first example.

Again, to be fair, it’s great for very old or weak hardware. But that’s not exactly a strong selling point for a modern AAA game. Carmack and iD abandoned their core base on the PC and didn’t attract half as many console players as they needed to make up for it. Big net loss.

Maybe he should try to market megatexture to Sony and Nintendo for their handheld consoles. So far as I can see, that’s his only remaining potential market for it. Otherwise it was a huge waste of time and resources.

• Tin_man_Tex says:

There’s a few things at work here.

id Soft chose to have the same texure set across all platforms, which means a lowest common demominator to set the the data sets size. In this case it was the base x360 with no hard drive, so even less capacity as there is duplicated data for running game off dvd (for comparison the install from dvd style of the PC release actually has several GB free).
          Given that Virtual Texturing done right requires a large increase in data set this was a big blow to starve it like that.

While virtual texturing is actually more consistant fps wise compared to other texture streaming methods, the tile determination as well as transcoding takes time that other games would be using for flashy effect.
          And a target of 60fps (on console even) gives even less time.

4. kibble-n-bullets says:

Going to throw it out there:

I want ID shooter games to have a minor in Bethesda storytelling and Bethesda RPG’s to have a minor in ID shooting mechanics. I feel better now.

• stiffkittin says:

I had conservative hope for Prey 2 on that score. I really hope that game is able to come back from the Brink.

• El_Duderino says:

Well, since Bethesda always needed a course in Obsidian storytelling I am not sure where that would put us.

• Squishpoke says:

I might be in the minority, but I think Bethesda is garbage. Keep them away from id software.

Although it seems it’s a bit too late for that, now…

• LionsPhil says:

Bethesda storytelling

You want to make ID games worse?

5. The Random One says:

It crushed the original? Not telefragged it? That’s not the RPS I know and love.

• Nathan Grayson says:

Sincerest apologies. Ian Cacodemon’s on vacation right now, so his consultancy services weren’t available before this post went live. Truth is, we’re lost without him. I, for instance, have never even played a videogame before.

yoggesothothe says:

Pssshh, you don’t have to play video games to be an expert on them. Just ask Roger Ebert.

I should stop flogging that dead horse.

• The Random One says:

Apologies accepted, Nathan. I actually don’t even know what a videogame is, so I understand completely. (I’m one of those fake geek guys you’ve heard about and am only doing it for the attention.)

6. The Smilingknight says:

oh hey… another one. shirts. hats… and fashion!
    and they accept PYAPAL payments too!

– in Yollars…i expect.

hey spam bot… you actually seem like passing the Turing test – compared to some forum posters i know.
    I wish you could appreciate that although i acknowledge and accept that you dont have a mind to appreciate it with.

• SiHy_ says:

Spambots are the sort of thing our future robot overlords will demand reparations for.
      Reparations in blood…

7. RemoteMan213 says:

“come here quickly

Opportunity knocks but once”

My rapist sensors are tingling…

particlese says:

Thanks, of course, to id for doing this, and thanks also to Bethesda and Zenimax for actually allowing it! They probably had the right to be butts and block it, but here it is.

*pokes around in a conspicuously directed fashion*

Hey, how about that! Looks like an Oculus Rift pre-warp shader is in there:

Nifty! And much simpler than I was expecting.

• LionsPhil says:

The Doom 3 BFG Edition GPL Source Code release does not include functionality enabling rendering of stencil shadows via the “depth fail” method, a functionality commonly known as “Carmack’s Reverse”.

Thanks, software patents! Carmack can’t actually release one of the engine’s distinctive features because another pair of guys came up with the idea at roughly the same time and legalese’d up.

• Rhuhuhuhu says:

no worries, it’s here: https://github.com/TimeDoctor/iodoom3/commit/16532769d6eeebea83179adfec208cdec5c3b8f2

That there are patents in one country, doesn’t mean it goes for the entire world :D

From a practical point of view, there is not much use for this code. It would help the few mods that are available for Doom 3 but other things don’t really matter.

It’s to little, to late. Just buy the original version, Oculus Rift support will be in that version too, in a week or two.

emertonom says:

Oculus Rift source code was my first thought too. I expect a lot of the interest in this source will come from devs looking for an example implementation.

9. Velko says:

Jazz hands!

10. Radiant says:

Sometimes it seems that Id’s lack of heart, soul and ingenuity in their later games comes from where they are not just as a development house but physically.

I mean how much cultural influence and brain food can you get from a business park in the middle of nowhere texas?