Isles Asunder: Far Cry 3 Map Editor

By Adam Smith on November 26th, 2012 at 7:00 pm.

Do map editors normally have trailers nowadays? Far Cry 3′s has one. I know that some trailers have trailers and it’s only a matter of time until someone makes a trailer for a logo, so I guess something as functional as a map editor can appear in a video and say ‘hello’. The most notable thing about the editor for Ubi’s Jimpressing open island shooter is that it looks simple enough for an idiot like me to use. Terrain can be generated randomly, objects are dragged and dropped into position, and the whole thing can be populated with wildlife and AI baddies for solo play.

I am going to put so many sharks in watchtowers.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Low Life says:

Having a map editor is nice, but it’s still a far cry from proper modding tools.

2. Salt says:

Oh neat, didn’t know it could make single-player maps. I’m hopeful for some interesting stuff to be made with that. I guess it will lack any kind of scripting beyond just the default behaviours for animals and enemy humans, but still should produce some interesting things.

• LennyLeonardo says:

Yay for singleplayer map editor! If the original Far Cry had one I’d probably still be playing it. I will be recreating the jungle compound out of off of the beginning of Predator, natch. But with sharks.

• Unaco says:

Forgive me if I’m wrong, but I’m fairly sure the original Far Cry did have the Sandbox editor, for custom map making. Pretty sure it could handle AI placement and such as well, so could be used for SP Map making. I think I installed it when I played FC, and started it once maybe, but never jumped into it fully.

• Brun says:

Isn’t that basically just the first level from Crysis?

• El_Emmental says:

I posted :

- a link to a thread telling where to find the map editor on the Far Cry 1 (Steam/Steamapps/Common/far cry)

- a link to the Moddb page

- a link to the “Far Cry 2010″ mod (HD pack)

- a link to a short (but very good – really) SP campaign called “Matto4″ (the dev made a small map, a normal map and a bigger map before, called Matto, Matto2 and Matto3)

Sadly the spam filter blocked my comment, so people will have to google that :/

• orange says:

Honestly, that makes this a must buy!
      I wonder if there will be a map size limit? Would love to make my own massive open world game [map] with this editor.
      Steam Workshop would be great too :)

3. Badgercommander says:

Driver: San Francisco had a trailer for a logo or the box art, something like that.

4. DickSocrates says:

Fuck Cry 3.

5. Kelron says:

Far Cry 2′s editor paid for its simplicity by not letting you do anything more than make empty multiplayer maps. This looks like it could be a bit more interesting, but it would be nice to have something that combined ease of use for basic tasks with the depth of possibilities available in something like Arma 2 or Crysis.

6. WoundedBum says:

I have to say, it really seems like Ubisoft came good on this game. A good PC version, map editor etc. and no crazy DRM. Good to see.

7. Utnac says:

I greatly enjoyed mucking around in FC2′s map editor and it looks as though FC3′s builds on it well, overall it’s looking like a decent game. Shame about the lack of actual mod tools and dedicated servers and the certainty of minimal post-launch support or it might be up there for game of the year.

8. Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

I think I’ll do a Kickstarter for a trailer for a logo.

9. Crimsoneer says:

I’m hugely excited for this game :) Love the first two, so this can only end well. If only they’d release it already!

10. Shantara says:

Portal 2 and Grimrock had trailers for map editors before.

11. hosndosn says:

I like this quite a lot but kinda have to wonder: Are these the “real” map editors used by the developers? Because to get the full scope of depth, you’d need access to those. I just hope “custom maps” won’t become a Little Big Planet style gimmick toy where you can only create maps in some kind of “safety mode” with some of the deeper features removed.

• Salt says:

This is very much not the real map editor. Keep in mind that this same map editor is available in the console version.

The nature of modern FPSes is that there’s a huge amount of scripting built in to the levels which even when using pre-made assets means making a “proper” level considerably more complex. Compare to Doom (or Marathon, with its lovely bundled editor) levels that really are nothing but a bunch of 2d polygons with texture information and a load of item and monster spawn locations.

If you want to make levels outside of the type allowed by this kind of cut down editor, you should really check out the Unreal Development Kit. Unsurprisingly given its lineage, it’s set up so that making a FPS comes easily and you’ll be given all the tools you could possibly desire for making a complex creation as you wish.

12. derbefrier says:

Well I guess i am gonna have to buy this. I am way too lazy to use this myself but I will happily enjoy other peoples hard work! Hopefully it will have steam workshop integration along with it.

13. Drinking with Skeletons says:

Anyone remember the map editor from Disciples and Disciples II? Those were shockingly easy to use, albeit time-consuming to make anything worthwhile.

14. Colonel J says:

I know RPS doesn’t do review scores but ‘Jimpressing’ will do for me as a reliable summary benchmark on whether to buy something or not.

15. particlese says:

it’s only a matter of time until someone makes a trailer for a logo

Negative time, in Microsoft’s case:

Also: Hooray for mod support! *reads posts* Well, map editing, at least. That’s still a form of modding the way I split hairs, but whatever.

• The Random One says:

Hooray for a hesitant admission that allowing people to mod your game will boost sales in the long run while at the same time making sure those mods won’t interfere with your barrage of underwhelming DLC!

16. The Random One says:

It has beaten my cynicism and I actually think it’s interesting. A GTA level creator is something that was a long time coming.

I like the part in the trailer where all the wildlife is lined up as if they were about to race. GO CROCODILE

17. TechnicalBen says:

Is it me or did that video look like far cry 1 graphics?

18. Uncompetative says:

Wow. That looks good.

I hoped Halo 4 would let you place enemy patrol zones on its Spartan Ops maps to design your own coop campaigns as this would be easily enough done and a logical extension to Reach’s Forge abilities, but I was disappointed with reality, again.

19. Strangera says:

Actually Microsoft did a trailer for their new logo. :)

Comment on this story