Scoping Mechanisms: Sniper – Ghost Warrior 2

By Adam Smith on November 26th, 2012 at 12:00 pm.

Games about snipers tend to involve a lot of things that aren’t sniping and in the case of Ghostlier Warrior, stabbing men in the armpit will be a significant feature if this footage is to be believed. Men are shot from afar, it’s true, but the majority of a sniper’s working day is not spent squeezing the trigger after an intake of breath so sharp it could cause a lung to collapse. In order to entertain the masses, armpit-stabbing replaces hours of lying prone in the dark, weeing in the accumulated mulch and foliage, suppressing memories of home, silently awaiting the day’s first human contact which ends in a moment of detached violence. That would be a horror game and this is a game about war.

I’m guessing that armpits bleed excessively when punctured, or are generally unprotected, or provide a route to the lungs that doesn’t have barriers of bone? Whatever the reason behind the very deliberate insertion of a blade into their soft flesh, my brain has decided to imagine what it might feel like if somebody stabbed me in that very spot. I’ve reacted by protecting myself as best I can. Until this moment, I didn’t know that armpits could be clenched.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. MrMud says:

Armpits are typically not going to be protected by a vest.

• HisMastersVoice says:

And have an exposed artery ready to be stabbed.

• Grargh says:

Same is true for neck and throat, and that’s where any cries for help usually originate. He doesn’t even put a hand on their mouths in the trailer, that seems kind of stupid.

• HisMastersVoice says:

Well, he’s clearly not going for stealth kills, otherwise he wouldn’t bother targeting the circular system. I’m guessing cutting the windpipe or stabbing someone under the scapula was not considered graphic enough by the devs.

• MrMud says:

I believe that flak vests often have neck protection. At least I seem to remember that being the case from when I was forced to huff and puff around in one.

2. DutchDrunk says:

I wonder how big the scope of the game is going to be.

3. Carbonated Dan says:

I suspect ‘you like butchering, huh?’ is aimed at the target audience, not the poor bastard with the bloody pit-stains: these games’ glorious murder fetish would make even COD blush

want to experience sniping? try ARMA II’s ACE mod and after a short course in fluid physics, you too can spend hours accounting for air pressure and humidity

4. tigershuffle says:

about time they just used the monicker – ‘designated marksman’ ….just another shooter :-/

soo bored of the melon poppin obsessives……always taught to hit the mass in my day

thats about the scope of it…….and its about time they zeroed in on the problem

5. Scissors says:

Ghost Warrior Recon: Snipe fighter 9.

Game devs must spend a lot of time crying in the dark.

6. Syra says:

This game looks ridiculously pretty, and yet as much as I wish the concept could have some real depth to it, the horror game version would be far more interesting.

7. SocraticIrony says:

Thoroughly enjoyed the first one, but please leave the whole foot soldier with a machine gun bits out this time. I bought the game to play a sniper, not another block head with an uzi.

8. Dominic White says:

The sagely and scholarly Bro Team say all that needs to be said about Sniper: Ghost Warrior.

• Chorltonwheelie says:

Thank you. Just wasted an hour laughing them off.
      It’s educational too. I now know what The Great American Challenge is.

9. Apocalypse 31 says:

SNIPERFACE

10. Tams80 says:

“How does this feel?!” I don’t know annoying video game man, but I do want you to shut up!

11. Uncompetative says:

I pre-ordered the Limited Edition of this back in May. Roll on January!

12. BrightCandle says:

Sigh another sniper game with absolutely no attempt to try and introduce any of the concepts of using a rifle at range. A bit of wind and a scope that works like its meant to with bullet drop mechanics would be nice, instead we get armpit knife kills.

Comment on this story