Blowing Hot And Cold: Frozen Hearth

By Jim Rossignol on November 27th, 2012 at 4:00 pm.

Doesn't look that frozen to me.
Epiphany Games send word that their new RTS, Frozen Hearth, has just been released. I have to be honest and say that this is the first I’ve heard of it, but initial eye-lookings and other journalistic data-gathering techniques have given me reason to believe it’s moderately interesting. It offers things such as a co-op campaign, and player-versus-player skirmishes, all set in a rather fetching fantasy world. They explain: “In Frozen Hearth, you will guide the fate of an entire people, known as the Danaan, as they face the greatest threat of all – extinction – as their homelands are ravaged and overrun by a bloodthirsty tide of supernatural ice monsters known as The Shangur, who are driven ever forward by an unstoppable wave of moving ice that covers and drains the life from all it engulfs.” (LAN support, too, which speaks of ages past.) I’ve popped the trailer below for good measure.

Anyone played this? Any thoughts?

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. brulleks says:

“Any thoughts?”

Don’t be silly, of course we haven’t. That’s what we rely on you guys for.

• Berzee says:

The best thing about this particular spam is that even with the high wages, the neighbour’s sister would have to be working 64 hours a week to achieve that monthly salary.

• luukdeman111 says:

And the fact that it is actually pretty relevant to the topic is also surprising…

Anthile says:

Just what kind of parents name their child Kryetar?

3. antoniodamala says:

Jeez the contrast in the graphics is killing my eyes.

4. whollyrandom says:

Oddly, I came across this on Gamersgate over the weekend and thought to myself, “This looks interesting. I hope RPS take a look at it soon and give some sort of entertaining-but-useful overview.”

Hop to it, chaps.

5. ScubaMonster says:

They needed to show more of the actual gameplay. Couldn’t really make much of it at all from that trailer. Maybe someone uploaded some gameplay videos on youtube, I’ll have to go look.

My initial impressions however is that this will be another lackluster RTS with nothing really memorable. There’s a lot of stiff competition in the RTS market.

aleander says:

They have something called “gameplay trailer“, though it’s not that much more. Seems a bit boring, and how boring it is of me to say that an RTS is boring. I’ll go have a nap.

• misterT0AST says:

I’d like to know where this “stiff competition in the RTS market” would be today in 2012.
      Aside from Starcraft II, which came out 2 years ago, I can’t really point out any competitors.
      And I’m not even saying good competitors. Just competitors in general.

The game does look derivative, but I’m just happy we’re getting something in that genre.

• Bhazor says:

Competitive multiplayer RTS games?
        Can’t think of any… except the two million DotA clones out there.

• misterT0AST says:

Now THAT can be called Real Time Strategy without any objection whatsoever.

• mittortz says:

Are you saying that to emphasize the lack of RTS games at the moment? You must be.

• Trithne says:

The thing is that Starcraft 2 IS the RTS market. It dominates it. It’s not even very good, but now all RTS games are assumed to kneel at the feet of e-Sports, which is a fool’s game because there’s little breaking into that market with a new title.

We’re a long way from the glory days of the early 2000s when RTS was an innovative and plentiful genre.

6. CobraLad says:

No Metacritic, no reviews on decent sites… Are there any soul, brave enough to play this game?

7. nimzy says:

Sounds like the plot to Game of Thrones to be honest, and the color scheme evokes multiple games to the imagination, like Settlers or Dungeon Siege. The emphasis on hero units evokes Warcraft 3. It’s the co-op campaign that really provides the exclamation mark for me. Is there a demo?

• Brun says:

Co-op campaign evokes Red Alert 3. As you said there seems to be very little in the way of original ideas here, just an amalgam of a bunch of other RTS mechanics.

8. mr.ioes says:

Yet another developer that posted on piratebay *hint*. Only “review” I have found so far declared it as a “pile of poo”. Hmm. I love this genre, but a trailer that doesn’t show actual gameplay is always alarming.

Any words on when or if this will be on steam?

9. inbilla says:

One of the Dev’s here, thanks for picking up on it RPS!

Shameless self plug:
    Vote it up on steam if you want to see it there! It’s in greenlight now.
    If you want don’t want to wait for steam, then it’s available via a number of other digital distribution platforms already, check out its website http://www.frozenhearth.com

We’re going to keep developing it, so expect patches and mod tools in the future!
    Take care!

10. macbane says:

If someone whats to do a proper review of the game, I can sent a serial number. frontdesk@epiphanygames.com.au. And please up vote on greenlight.

11. Manytanks says:

Yeah I played it to review it but the DRM and smoothness of its initial functionality was tedious and after about 40min of doin the tutorial I just didnt know what to say I was just that perplexed and bored, I should persevere I know but I just stopped in my tracks.