It’s Raining Whales: Dishonored Has Dun An Addon

By Alec Meer on November 27th, 2012 at 6:00 pm.

Do not pass go, do not collect 200 bone charms

The somewhat underwhelming in concept first DLC for Dishonored is, as we already knew, Dunwall City Trials. It’s a challenge map pack rather than an expansion containing more long-game assassinations or world-building. This leaves me a little cold in principle, but perhaps there will be something to be said for using and combining the game’s many combat, stealth and movement systems unfettered and without the focus on meeting a specific objective.

The pack now has a release date, which is December 11, and a price, which is £3.99. And specific details, which are below. I’m nice like that.

There’ll be 10 challenge maps in total, and purportedly they make varied demands on you. Killing time trials, a horde survival mode and chaining drop assassionations are mentioned, as is a stealth treasure-stealing mansion missing. Oddest of all is this, though: “Try your hand in non-lethal challenges as you shoot down whale oil tanks raining from the sky.”

Uh.

I dunno. It doesn’t sound terribly Dishonored to me, but perhaps I’m being too narrow-minded – this is after all a game built around the concept of varied playstyles. But shooting raining whale oil tanks? Is this Corvo goes to the funfair or something?

N. E. Way. December 11, £3.99, and there’ll also be an online leaderboards for those who like to flout their digital genitalia. I’m much more interested in the two campaign expansions due next year, but maybe that’s just because I’m afraid of seeing my name appear next to a number.

, , .

1. SAeN says:

Dishonored DLC should be Batman-style timed challenge rooms. None of this racing rubbish.

• DyingTickles says:

That’s what I pictured when I first read they were challenges, and I was excited. This sounds….not for me.

Vandelay says:

Don’t have much interest in this DLC, but it is a good opportunity to say how much I am enjoying Dishonoured. Picked it up and the weekend and only put a couple of hours into it, but it is a wonderful game.

I wasn’t sure when I initially started and I’m still not certain whether I like the way it handles enemy sight, but they have managed to craft an excellent world and I’m liking the way the first mission proper is designed. I’ve been in the mission for about 40 minutes an I’ve barely looked at my main objective. Instead, I have been embroiled in a battle against street thugs and broken into a doctor’s home to steal samples from a plague rat. I hope all the levels include such great diversions.

Can we have more games like this please?

3. phelix says:

No ‘u’ in ‘Dishonored’? I am disappoint, sir.

• CKScientist says:

That would make as much sense as calling you Felix. It is not your name.

• grundus says:

As true as that is, I honestly seriously physically cannot make myself spell it properly, in much the same way as how I can’t make myself say ‘pinky’, ‘tummy’ and a few other things in real life.

felisc says:

what ? someone’s calling me ?
        oh…

• Syra says:

No ‘ed’ in dissapointed? I am dishonored.

• The Random One says:

Two S in disappointed, son? I am angry.

• Dervish says:

No pluralisation of S’s? How embarassing.

• Nevard says:

No not an apostrophe in Ss? Tsk tsk!

Actually the jury is still out on whether that’s OK or not, like many more obscure forms of English grammar, but I wanted to join in.

• Ich Will says:

No comma after “No”; Oh dear!

tomeoftom says:

Capitalizing the first letter that follows a semicolon? A disgrace.

• Dervish says:

I misspelled “embarrassing” as bait but no one took it.

• nyarlathotep says:

“bait COMMA but.” Separating two main clauses with a coordinating conjunction requires a comma. Whose embarrassed now?

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

You cant just put a big capitalized COMMA in a quote that wasn’t originally there!

• Otto says:

I was waiting for somebody to catch him up on “embarassing”. I can’t believe you guys sometimes…

• bladedsmoke says:

It’s a proper noun, so it’s spelt however the fuck the creator wants it to be spelled. Inglourious Basterds is spelt wrong too, but I don’t feel the need to correct it.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

That’s true, but Basterds is simply spelled incorrectly. At least Dishonored is regionally correct somewhere. Honestly it sounds a bit nationalistic (redneck where I’m from) to be so adamant about spelling Dishonored the way it would be spelled in your region. Goes from nationalist straight to jingoistic to be claiming your region’s spelling is the only “correct” way to spell it.

4. Chizu says:

It sounds like an interesting distraction that lets us play around with dishonoureds abilities a bit, whilst we wait for actual meatier story dlc.
    Though of course, I couldn;t give a shit about online leaderboards, they are almost always topped by a cheater. :v

• Trithne says:

I recall poking a game recently, maybe Mirror’s Edge, where the #1 position in a time trial was a time of 0 seconds.

Anyway – It sounds like it may make for a fun diversion, but it’s mostly just filler – Something that was probably initially thrown together in-house as a ‘look what it’s possible to do’ or a way to test abilities, and then fleshed out into a DLC to throw to the masses.

5. Teovald says:

Honestly I really like the idea.
    The last thing that Dishonored need is a DLC that try to add something to the story. It is already self contained in the original game, I fear that any addition would only weaken it.
    However, what I did not do during the story is use any of the awesome weapons I upgraded except for the crossbow with sleep dart since I was strongly encouraged to do not kill anyone.
    Giving me a trial context where I can have fun with the gun & grenades looks like a wonderful idea to me.

• Godwhacker says:

There seems to be a lot of hatred about for this and I can’t really understand why. It’s four quid and it’s focussing on the gameplay rather than the story. There’s going to be some story DLC next year.

• TheSplund says:

I was initially excited at the news but I’d also read elsewhere that there was some story-based DLC for next year so my expectations had dropped slightly before this article confirmed, what I believe, to be the worst.
        I wonder if there’ll be a Corvo based Whack-A-Rat game in it too?

• Ideas says:

I agree. I’m not done with the story yet but it seems like there’s a lot of interesting mechanics in the gameplay that you are somewhat discouraged from toying around with. A separate mode where I can go in and mess around with all the different weapons/enemies seems like a good idea right now (instead of making a separate save and then going and trying to fight tallboys and then killing myself when I win so that it doesn’t actually count against me in my game).

• gwathdring says:

Indeed. To be fair, there’s always a second play-through or the “Replay any mission you’ve completed so far” feature. But it would be nice to have a mechanical playground. The mechanics are quite fun and shiny to me and mucking about with them unfettered, as was said, sounds lovely.

6. MistyMike says:

the next one will be Dishonored-theme Bejewelled-like minigame, in which you match oil tanks, runes and flintlocks.

7. tobecooper says:

If these ‘whale oil tanks’ were oil-fueled tanks in the shape of a whale falling down from the sky, this DLC would be a beautiful thing.

• SominiTheCommenter says:

Wrong Game, you’ll want Dear Esteban.

• tobecooper says:

You are right! The Dear Esteban guy is responsible for imprinting flying whales on my brain.
        But it is my strong belief, sir, that sky whales would add value to any game.

Lamb Chop says:

They need to add some flower pots as well.

Oh, no, not again!

• tobecooper says:

But it makes sense too!
            “Throw flower pots out the window and watch them fall on the heads of your enemies!!”

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

It doesn’t make any sense. It’s infinitely improbable!

8. serioussgtstu says:

Hopefully this is just a delay tactic to keep the wolves from the door until after Crimbo when they can put out a more ambitious piece of content. If this is the case, then I’m glad they aren’t rushing it because Dishonored is a perfectly designed game for adding new missions and abilities!

9. Grey Ganado says:

I guess most of those challenges will take place in the void.

10. JoeGuy says:

I’d really rather mission packs that slot into the campaign nicely tbh.

11. scorpion_wins says:

This is for xbox people, yes?

• LennyLeonardo says:

Explain yourself, whelp.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

I can probably explain for him:
        This is for consoles. It will release for PC, but take a look at how we PC gamers respond to DLC, and then imagine that on PlanetXbox the comments are probably more like, “Awesome, new DLC for dishonored! Can’t wait!”

12. ten_six says:

I sure would love to play this game again.. except they haven’t fixed the Golden Car glitch that crashes me and a bunch of others back to the desktop (it even exists for some people on the xbox version).

• Ich Will says:

Golden car glitch? A google of that term brings your post out as the top result!

darkChozo says:

I’m guessing he meant to say Golden Cat. Dunno what glitch he’s talking about, but that would make sense from the game’s perspective. Unless Corvo gets a rather pimping ride that I missed.

13. Zogtee says:

If they throw in some puzzles, they will successfully have covered everything I didn’t want in DLC for Dishonored.

14. TODD says:

my immersion~

15. Yglorba says:

Honestly, what the game would benefit from is a time trial for its regular missions. I guess you can do it yourself, but it’s not the same as having an official one built in.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

I have to disagree. This is one game that would not benefit from a time trial, it’s antithetical to the game itself. This is the game that you have force yourself to take it slow, because the game itself will allow you to quickly advance and miss all of the stuff.

16. rampofdeath says:

Having safely deposited young Emily upon the throne master-assassin Corvo gets completely off his head via copious quantities of acid. Navigate Corvo through the violent eddies of an apocalyptically bad trip as he attempts to avoid being eaten by walls or drowning in sandals.

At least it would offer some bare semblance of explanation for performing inexplicable and arbitrary actions, the raining oil canisters would sit nicely to.

Stellar Duck says:

I don’t care for this DLC. Not going to buy it.

Had they said that they would release a new mission once a month I would have bought that until the sun imploded.

The city of Dunwall begs to be explored and poked at. I can’t do that with this shitty DLC.

18. Runs With Foxes says:

So this is ‘underwhelming’ because it’s not all about ~story~? Okay.

You might have noticed the time trials in Mirror’s Edge, for example, were a really popular part of the game, and helped build a community there. The movement in Dishonored is just as good, and the combat is much better.

This is a natural addition to the game (should have been in already instead of charging more for it), and it’s all the better for showing off Dishonored’s gameplay instead of forcing some story down our throats like you people seem to want.

19. Shooop says:

Most of the comments here are echoing my exact sentiment.

Challenge rooms? Why? That’s kind of the anti-thesis of Dishonored!

20. gwathdring says:

I guess I feel that it not being very Dishonored-ish is exactly why it makes a great optional DLC content package. It had no place whatsoever taking time and money out of development for the game proper … but if people think they’d like it, here’s something that will add new (potentially rather silly) components to their game. I really LIKE the idea of a game that gives you something radically different and rather silly as an optional, cheap, DLC.

I understand not wanting to buy or play it, but this is the PERFECT place for the developers to put this kind of content into this kind of game. This is Bethesda not adding unnecessary bloat, tacked-on multiplayer and hollow mini-games to Dishonored on release but still wanting to offer something offbeat to fans should they enjoy it. I think it’s a fantastic attitude to have towards low-cost DLC.

Heck, if more developers whose games suffered from bolt-on multiplayer released it as an optional expansion or DLC (here differentiating between various scopes) instead, I wouldn’t give a damn and wouldn’t feel cheated by it. I also wouldn’t buy it though … so … er …

Maybe they’re planning on adding more fiction-based content as well, probably in a beefier, more expensive chunk. Then everyone wins, right? If not … oh well. The game is still a blast.

21. gwathdring says:

That’s precisely it though, in my opinion: the game proper encourages and often compels you to take your time and figure things out. The game allows you to muck around a bit in the FICTIONAL world and see lots of fictional color while enjoying slick mechanics that reward careful understanding of the building layout and equipment. This DLC, in principle, might allow you to muck around in the a primarily MECHANICAL space and not worry about fictional consequences as you figure out how to accomplish goals that might not have come up in the game proper or at least with a radically different focus.

I can see why fans would want to give it a pass. I don’t see why fans would think it’s an inherently awful idea.

• gwathdring says:

That’s fair I suppose. I guess for me, this sounds like a temporary answer to the “only rewards non-lethal options” bit, as it sounds like it wants to mix and match what it rewards in a given challenge. I haven’t gotten anywhere near finished with the game yet, so maybe I’ll start having problems later. But so far I haven’t really been harmed by my rather-lethal-but-very-stealthy methods. According to the wiki I just looked at the Chaos system assumes most players will kill here and there but mostly try and be sneaky so based on that and nothing else I guess I’m getting higher than their anticipated average chaos and not feeling punished for it. Perhaps being extra un-chaotic offers particular rewards that I haven’t even noticed I’ve been missing, though … in which case I guess it’s a shame the high-octane approach doesn’t similarly offer opportunities that I’m not noticing I’m missing. Fictionally it makes sense (again just going by what the wiki claims happens in super-chaotic mode), but you could also make fictionally sensible rewards for a high-chaos game.

Anyone who’s played on both extremes have a word on this? I’m curious what I’m missing, now.

22. Citrus says:

Yes, waste your time running around like a tard in these levels our crack team of TWO level designers spent last 2 months working on.