Planetside 2: Random Battle Report

By Jim Rossignol on November 27th, 2012 at 12:00 pm.

I thought I’d just drop into Planetside 2 on Sunday afternoon. Four hours later…

What is perhaps most satisfying about Planetside 2 is the sheer scale of the conflict. The continental maps contain meandering, rolling frontlines, with a continuous ebb and flow of battle that flickers in and out like a forest fire. Sometimes you’ll see some brief skirmishes, other times you are slammed beneath a blistering avalanche of advancing enemy units. It’s a sort of sprawling, complex hyperdeathmatch, in an arena that covers entire mountain ranges, ongoing and with no time-limit, with dozens of different vectors and variables to think about, or engage with.

What this means is that you can almost guarantee an interesting battle in any given session. It’s as if dozens of different public FPS games were all dropped into the same container, and play out across each other, intermingling their lines of attack and firefight objectives. Soloing loners mix with tank platoons. The guy who can drop in for twenty minutes joins a siege that’s been going on for two hours.

The RPS Vanu outfit – our gang on one of the three factions – had a platoon running for most of the afternoon. This is a group of squads linked up to allow each other to see their activities on the map, and in the HUD, and it was co-ordinated via the voice comms of the RPS Arma 2 community. The game has its own voice server, of course, but most large groups are finding it best to run their own voice – the quality is likely to be better, and folks have control over it.

A few people have said to me “yeah, Planetside just seems like a mess, I had no idea what was going on.” A few minutes later in the chat I realise these folks had not joined squads, had not really co-ordinated with anyone. And I get that, I do. Most of us want to explore games on our own. Drop in, mess about, see what we think. There are few games where that doesn’t work, though, and I think this is one of them. Most shooters are very easy to “solo” in on public servers, but realistically, unless you are going to become an ace pilot or a determined infiltrator, Planetside 2 means working with others. Voice comms are the first step into that.

Anyway, within moments of joining I’d checked my medic’s loadout, jumped into a scythe (the Vanu’s twin-bladed aircraft) and barrelled into the skies over Amerish, Planetside 2′s beautiful, craggy and temperate continent. I’m no pilot, of course, all I was doing was leaping into the exhilaration of seeing the map open up beneath me (and I dislike the flight handling) and then plummeting down on top of where my platoon was attacking an enemy base.

Crash-landing on the roof, I ran down into the base, and was immediately greeted with a close-quarters firefight. Green beams flicked out from fellow Vanu who had unlocked one of the faction signature weapons. I hugged the corners and rezzed and healed – I’ve seldom enjoyed playing a medic or a healer, but for some reason Planetside 2′s nudged me into that role. Not sure why, perhaps it’s just my time.

After some messy fighting back and forth, and some leaping around with drop-ships, we ended up pushing south, hard, and ended up taking a base not so far from the Terran Republic’s warp gate (their entrance to the map), called Auraxis Firearms Corp. What’s interesting about this location – one of dozens of geographically complicated capturable positions across the map – is that it’s only really accessible either via the air, or across a bridge. It’s up on a bluff, with cliffs around most of the edge. Once the platoon had stormed it, and flattened the light resistance, we were cut off by a much larger force. Sealing us into a siege.

What followed was a ferocious defence action that lasted almost an hour.

Once we were in, the enemy advance pushed past us, rapidly, and by the time we’d consolidated our position, we were just an island of purple on the map, a fragment that remained amid expanding lines of red. The enemy line pushed behind us and captured the territory we’d pushed through, meaning we we could strike out if we’d wanted to. But we decided to hold on. Part of the hostile force seemed to continue regardless of us, but a number of squads tried to take back the Firearms hill. As we resisted, so their attack escalated. We were pinned: the enemy had airpower overhead, and placed anti-air beneath our own air-spawn point. We couldn’t get aircraft away to break out, and it was all we could do to create vehicles and AA suits to combat being bombed into oblivion.

Our three squads struggled to clear the surrounding forces, shifting focus back and forth continuously from the capture point – which kept falling to enemies who got into the base – and the bridge, which was being stormed by infantry, and pounded by enemy heavy armour, which sat wisely on the other side of the pass. Were we even asking for reinforcements at a command level? I didn’t have time to ask. Too many bodies falling, too many infiltrators flickering into the base.

The fight rumbled on, never letting up, and at once point we’d cleared the enemies in the valley surrounding us, and pushed out across the bridge. But it was not to be. Eventually the enemy forced pushes forward and held the bridge. The tanks chose that moment to push, and their additional enormous firepower pushed the defenders back into the buildings. We realised it was over.

We pulled out. Back, back, regroup. Rearm.

Later, then, the flavour of the battle changed: this time we’d rolled south from a large base, where most of our platoon had spawned a vehicle or armour of some kind. We had other squads with us too, as we headed down south through a mountain pass. The front-runners began to report contact with enemy vehicles, and then, with a low thunder of ordnance that was audible on the other side of the mountain where I was, they hit a full-blown enemy column coming the other way.

“Don’t worry if you can’t see what’s happening,” said someone on voice comms. “Eventually the friendly tank in front of you will explode, and you’ll be able to fire.”

We piled in, infantry leaping out of personnel carriers, which deployed as mobile spawn points. Snipers took vantage points. Heavies with rocket launchers tried to find positions to drop plasma shells on enemy armour. After an intense ten minute fire-fight across the top of the pass, the enemy column was destroyed, and fell back to two nearby bases. With the opposing force scattered we pressed the attack. It seemed deadlocked, and once again other enemy forces were pushing in behind us, without enough allied resistance to hold them. Things started to come apart.

Suddenly pinged back to the real world, I realised it was time for a cup of tea. Putting the kettle on, I got distracted by yelling at my damned cats or something. By the time I returned the battle had shifted again, with the platoon now attacking another, smaller base. Just as it had arrived, a similar-sized force had come up the road the other way. It was the perfect front-line deadlock: tanks spat at each other from ridges either side of the base, while engineers scurried around repairing them. Both sides had mobile bases deployed under trees, with anti-air units defending them from bombardment.

So it was down the infantry, who legged it through the dust and fire into the base building and swarmed over the capture point in a hail of lasers, bullets, and grenades bouncing and detonating mercilessly on friendly and for alike. It was the perfect pitched battle and – for all I knew – only one of many taking place across that packed server on a weekend afternoon. The game sang.

I healed heroically, throwing myself into firefights with AoE heal blazing, and my shiny new assault rile running our of ammo far too quickly. At one point a small group of us tried to flank the enemy and ended up on a glorious run that culminated in taking down a group of enemy MAX (heavy armoured suits) units, which had pinned our advance. Then we were flattened by a tank. It was a pure digital-death high, glory in simulated destruction.

This is what games do so, so well. We sprang back to life, ready to feast on more sensory overload.

And then the server crashed.

Fortunately, it was also time for Sunday dinner.

We’ll do the same again tonight. (Only without the abrupt end, hopefully.)

The game is free. Join us.

, , .

1. Flappybat says:

There was some awful server lag last week that was ruining the game. Teleporting players and vehicles exploding at random make it very hard to play.

• Snidesworth says:

I’ve been having that experience during peak play hours as well. It’s unlike anything I ever saw in the beta. Thankfully things start to clear up from 9pm onwards, but the game can be virtually unplayable at times. There have been times where my rockets weren’t registering as hitting for a good four seconds after I’d seen them explode.

Crimsoneer says:

and there is no way to see your ping, which doesn’t help.

• SuicideKing says:

True, and since you can’t switch servers without switching characters, it’s annoying. As in, finding the optimal server is annoying. At least, it seems annoying. :D

BTW does your battle rank remain the same across chars/fractions?

• Snidesworth says:

Nope, it’s tied to a character. Same with certs and any unlocks you’ve purchased.

• SuicideKing says:

Yeah tried it…kind of a sucky method really.

• LionsPhil says:

Really? People are still doing this?

How many years ago now did Champions Online (and it may not have been the first) realize “Hey, you know what’d be good for a massively multiplayer game? Being able to play with all your friends rather than having half of them being on one server and half on the other and never the twain shall meet”?

I refuse to believe there’s a solid technical justification for this, because it’s been solved.

• innociv says:

Yeah, LionsPhil.
            That’s why I decided to never subscribe to MMOs.
            I played WoW for 2 months, and I’d keep meeting people in IRC and such and the conversation would go something like “Oh, you play WoW too? Cool. Maybe we can play together. What server? … Oh, well that sucks.”

And then I saw a one time purchase game, Guild Wars, have none of those problems.
            Now, for years since, all these other games keep messing it up after Guild Wars did it right.

And a F2P game is the same as a subscription one when it has these problems, since your grind/$$$ is locked to a server.

• Heighnub says:

It’s a pity that RPS is on the EU Miller server. I haven’t had to queue for Mallory and it seems like there is far less downtime.

• MrStones says:

Quite fond of Mallory myself and it has my highest ranked character but unfortunately teamplay and coordination seems to be miles better on Miller. For example i don’t think i’ve seen a squad objective beacon once in all my pub squad hopping on Mallory but on Miller even the random squads seem to have spawn beacons, Sunderers and full Galaxies.

Maybe i just haven’t found the right group on Mallory but Miller seems to be a lot more fun to jump onto.

• ninjadeath says:

I have been playing on Mallory as well and find the same problems. If you want to add me and you are Vanu I will join up when I am on. My in game stupid name is ninjadeath1805.

• TechnicalBen says:

Same here. I actually spawned underground and lost my first Saunderer. :(

• Phantoon says:

I found that was the case until the patch two days ago. Now it’s running like a dream.

This doesn’t help you since I play on US servers.

2. Lord Byte says:

Planetside 2 is like all the cool bits of Arma 2, without the hassle of it being Arma 2 (endless patch differences, variations, expansions and mods, and shitloads of bugs).
    It does have the shitloads of bugs, but never as annoying as Arma 2.

3. N says:

Played a bit and man, I don’t really get how people consider this the be-all end-all multi fps.

Honestly, it seems as if I there are a bunch of people running around the map doing all kinds of crap that does not add up to anything.

It reminds me of those TF2 maps where you have “infinite tickets” and people just shoot each other ad nauseam with no end in sight.

And the weapons feel like crap, no weight and no puch to them. It’s like you carry huge cardboard BB guns lol.

Clavus says:

I agree the weapons feel a bit shitty, but about the game feeling pointless is just a matter of mindset. I had the same thing, you don’t feel like you’re achieving anything if you try to ‘play the objective’. But instead of focussing on macro-objectives like capturing territory, you should set yourself small realistic objectives like “I’m taking that capture point”, “I’m defending this wall”, “I’m following my platoon”. The game becomes a lot more enjoyable then.

• Somerled says:

Or do what I did and forget objectives completely. My random sunderer group ended up at an enemy checkpoint that was being fought over by the other two factions. Everyone died but me, then the surrounding regions flipped to other sides and I was trapped in enemy territory. So I just kept going deeper, blowing up whatever I could, until I spaced out inside a base in the middle of nowhere and a dumbstruck NC finally killed me.

Completely pointless all in all, but I might do it again as an infiltrator. Head to a far corner of the map, hack a vehicle console, spawn a sundy, deploy, and hope for a good show.

• piesmagicos says:

That is exactly how i play it and its rather fun. The mass on mass conflicts seem to just be too much for but as a infil finding my battles is a ton of fun. Sneaking behind the lines and picking off stragglers or reinforcements or finding the one or two guys attempting to man the AA by hacking their vehicle terminals and blasting them from behind, jumping ship and waiting for the inevitable search party to come find me. I try to get to the bleeding edge fights and its just too chaotic for my once honed Tribes reflexes.

• farrier says:

Exactly, I love this about playing an infiltrator in this game. It actually kind of rewards (or doesn’t punish, too much) if you play like a sniper normally would. I see infiltrators in the middle of firefights, and that’s great, but I love sneaking behind lines, usually my cloak when I move from cover to cover, and trying to find an opportune chance to prey on just a handful. Fire and relocate, that’s the key if you’re going pure sniper. If you don’t get a one-shot kill, they know where the shot came from, and they will likely find you and kill you.

I’ve also been working on an alternate infiltrator build that will be more of an assault scout. I’ve got one of those medium-range rifles, the one with max damage, and I finally got a basic scope to replace the iron sights. Combine that with hacking abilities eventually and I’ll be able to single-handedly cause a lot of headaches behind the lines.

It would be great if any of my friends played. A sniper, engi, and medic would be a perfect little black ops / guerilla squad.

• Dan Griliopoulos says:

You need to join an outfit and play with them. The game only really makes sense with co-ordinated squads.

• MrLebanon says:

^this

I feel the game is balanced quite well in terms of outfit play.

You read on the forums all these people who play on their own complaining X, Y, and Z are underpowered because they can’t do anything on their own.

Place X, Y, and Z in a coordinated platoon (or 2.. or 3… or 4….) and you’ve got quite the spectacle!

I run with an outfit now (the 666 devil dogs on US east, NC) and they host 200+ players… especially on saturdays when it’s “operations day”

It’s an amazing thing.

• SketchyGalore says:

I will say it is POSSIBLE to lone wolf in this game, but that’s not to downplay the fun of working together. I’ve gotten a better feeling for it now that I’ve spent an entire long holiday weekend pretty much playing non-stop. Now I’m finding a lot more opportunities for individual heroics, but that didn’t happen until I spent the time to familiarize myself with pretty much every aspect of the game (and the capture and objective system alone can take quite a while to wrap your head around completely).

For me, this game succeeds at “on the fly” teamwork quite well. In addition to the comradery that can only come from a game where you’re fighting constantly on the same side (you’ll notice this game is far more gentlemanly than your average FPS), it has solid game mechanics to nudge you into teamwork. Simple things like kill assists and whatnot. I find myself working with people, but I didn’t need to sit on some VOIP channel for an hour planning everything out before diving in. It’s more a “I’m going to run into that burning building! Who’s with me?!” situation. So, personally, I have the most fun doing what I want, but always having someone to do it with because.. well, it’s Planetside. It’s you and 600 of your closest friends. But, again, nothing about this game or its predecessor has ever been particularly welcoming to lone newcomers.

• mouton says:

Which is the game’s failure. If squads/outfits are the target form, the game sure fails at encouraging them.

And even then it’s mostly about a few groups wandering the map and steamrolling undefended outposts.

• gritz says:

What are you talking about? You literally start the game in a squad, and if you’re not in a squad the game displays it on your screen at all times that all you have to do is press INSERT to join a random squad.

I don’t see how PS2 could do any more to encourage joining a squad without being insistent.

• mouton says:

Please, it is always a meaningless random grouping of people. The game does a bad job of encouraging actual cooperation.

• Jim Rossignol says:

This seems literally true of all multiplayer FPS. But it seems like the persistent context breaks that for some people.

• mouton says:

Exactly. PS2′s ambition is higher that of most FPSes, thus creating a larger dissonance, when the ambition remains unfulfilled.

• sophof says:

Persistence kind of implies a ‘higher’ goal does it not? In TF2 in every map the objective is simply to win the game, but what do you gain by winning a skirmish in PS2? It is similar as winning a fight over middle in TF2, it is fun, but it is only a part of the goal. That goal appears to be missing here?

Not sure how I would do it differently, but it is definitely a problem for me. Any win feels meaningless if it doesn’t work to a goal, the win itself is not enough in the long run. I think a solution might be to have large scale ‘wars’ every week or so, with a definite winner and some XP for the winners as the price. Pretty hard to balance though.

I haven’t tried the game yet though (hopefully this weekend), so who knows, maybe I don’t care :P

• jkz says:

It’s certainly not perfect and not the be all and end all of FPS, but with a (semi) organised outfit it sure has it moments, mostly of the mulitple galaxy/liberator/scythe base assault firey death kind.

• sinister agent says:

If you’re not playing as the blue NC guys, the weapons are crap and have no weight to them. The terrans (Red) use guns that barely tickle, but spew out loads more shots, and the Vanu have no bullet drop because they can’t aim with proper guns, the poor dears.

Get yourself behind an NC rifle though, and you’ll feel the difference quickly. Even the light assaulters feel pretty chunky. And yeah, there are a lot of people dumbly charging over and over into an enemy spawn line (while the enemy do the same) behind an impenetrable shield. But you can just let them get on with it while you find another way in.

• N says:

I have been playing ONLY as NC precisely because from various footage I saw them as the ones with the more serious hardware, at this point I can only imagine how bad the rest are.

I think Bad Company 2/ BF3 have spoiled me in terms of weapon-handling. I have been also playing a bit of Ravaged these past few days and man, the weapons there are really primitive also (hitscan-ish and bullet hosey).

I really like the “huge map with long-term goals” idea. I think it is the natural evolution of the Battlefield series also. It seems they need to work a bit on the interface and the way in which objectives are delivered to the player. At first, when I joined a game, it seemed as though I opened a debug editor.

• Phantoon says:

Actually, the TR guns can be effective if you use them correctly.

I’m talking about the auto shotgun. Hold the fire button down and aim at a nearby MAX. That’s a dead MAX.

Also, the Prowler’s anti-armor machine gun looks almost exactly like DOOM’s chaingun. That’s a win for the Republic.

• absolofdoom says:

The whole faction differences is hilarious, check the official forums, tons of NC bitchin about TR weapons or just that theirs are underpowered. On yet another forum, VS complaining that NC is OP, etc etc

Naum says:

If everyone’s complaining equally, it seems to be balanced at least. ;)

• Spider Jerusalem says:

according to math and spreadsheets, tr actually has the best weapons across the board (in terms of ttk). nc guns suffer from unreliable cof meaning that high damage is too random to sustain strong, consistent output on a target.

• sinister agent says:

Can they take into account player skill, though? Not saying that players of any faction are better, but some weapons doubtless take more skill to use effectively than others. Or even just different skills – the TR might require sustained fire and suppression more, while the NC would rely more on fewer, but more careful shots. At a guess. Those are different skills, and some players might be better at one than the other (I’m personally hopeless with the TR weapons, as I tend to prefer single shots).

• soldant says:

To further add to that, I’m hopeless with anything but TR weapons, since I just hold down LMB and put the crosshairs somewhere over the target and hope for the best. I prefer the rapid firing weapons to compensate for a reduced ability to aim :P

Though I also liked the Vanu guns too.

• dontnormally says:

The weirdest sensation I took from the game was the death animation.

It doesn’t matter if you were one-shotted in the head, fell down a cliff, hit by three tank shells at once, you always calmly, casually, at the exact-same speed, lay down sideways, as if you are taking a quiet nap in the middle of battle.

• Phantoon says:

Your character knows he’ll be cloned soon. Time for a nap!

• fish99 says:

What does anything in any game add up to, and what do you want it to add up to? All gaming is basically just pointless entertainment. It’s all just coloured dots on a screen.

Since you describe the game as people running everywhere achieving nothing, that tells me that you didn’t play it enough to understand what they’re doing.

• N says:

I want the “round” or whatever you want to call it to END at some point and get some CLOSURE on the matter, that’s about it. Sometime during my lifetime perhaps. Heroes and Generals does the meta-game thing pretty well, you have battles and then you have a general map with units roaming towards objectives sent by Commanders. But the battles themselves are similar to say, a round of Battlefield. They are not some seemingly never ending tugs of war in which meat is thrown upon meat. I guess that is cool only if you are in a large crew or smth.

The problem with voice chat is that, for example, in BF3 I play with a full squad of friends (maybe two sometimes), and that is quite difficult even at that low number, especially when two/three guys try saying vital info in the same time.

I believe playing with voicechat when you have more than a few people results in a bunch of hollers, screams and booyahs, plus some guys struggling to tell others they need help or trying to direct the other cretins towards an objective in a sensible manner. You need, interestingly enough, actual soldier-like discipline, as far as communication goes, to not get a fuckin headache from everyone screaming at each other all the time. But then people complain that it’s not “fun” and that you act as a “try-hard” for not wanting your sensors shot by shrieking lunatics.

And yeah people have no fuckin idea what they’re doing in this game because objective-delivery is so convoluted and downright BORING to many I think. I’ve watched some tuts and got to gripes with how the game plays but I think more than half the people playing do not. I recon most just jump in thinking they can get up to speed easily just by playing. Shortly after, they come to a startling realization.

I still admire the game for its grand scope though, and I am certain it will only get better in many areas. Apart from the gunplay. The gunplay will stay the same I am sure. Meh.

• sinister agent says:

You really do need to set your own goals, it’s true. But there’s a lot of satisfaction in deciding you and the dozen randoms you’re with are going to take that outpost, scrabbling over it for a while, then finally nailing it down and chasing off the last enemies. Then just take your place on a balcony, your job done, watching people peel off into the distance to do whatever they’re up to next.

It’s all about the ebb and flow, and sometimes just standing for a moment to pose for the movie poster image. You make your own fun.

• fish99 says:

The closure is from taking a base and keeping it. Really its not that different from winning a round in BF. Sure you’ll probably lose the base an hour later in PS, but that’s no different to losing the next round in BF, at least in PS the enemy have to come and take it off you and you’ll get a chance to defend it.

Also the game is brand new, I’ve already seen a big improvement in players understanding of what to do over the last week.

4. wspray85 says:

Is there by chance an RPS outfit for the Australian server? Enjoyed playing immensely tonight, my squad was a big part of a vanu lockdown of Amerish. But voice comms and an established group to get organised with are a really big part of the fun.

5. Chris England says:

This is a wonderful game, really enjoying it so far.

Sadly I can’t seem to get onto the Miller server though. There’s always a queue and it doesn’t give me any actual information on how many people are in it.

• sinister agent says:

Honestly, I don’t know why everyone’s so obsessed with Miller. There’s often a queue, even when neighbouring servers let me in right away every time I’ve tried.

• Max Ursa says:

miller was the one nominated by many veteran EU outfits. it is also where the official RPS and PCGamer outfits are.

• Chris England says:

Yeah, I actually play on Cobalt but have a Vanu char on Miller in case I do want to link up with the RPS folks at some point. I can’t understand why the queue system won’t tell me how many people are in front of me, though.

Naum says:

When the queue is bugged — i.e. not counting down at all or counting to zero and then stopping there for longer than 30 seconds — it is best to just leave and rejoin the server repeatedly until you’re lucky. This usually works after 5 minutes or so. Besides, I have seen less of this particular bug during the last couple of days, so maybe they’ve (partially) fixed it.

RedViv says:

The weapons handle weird and I find the game to be hard to read. The latter might not pose a problem to those who plan with a constructed team in advance, but I don’t have that.

• derbefrier says:

The weapons in this game immediately reminded of Halo when I first jumped in, which in my opinion is a good thing as the first Halo is still one of my favorite FPS games. Immediately I felt comfortable with the weapons hell even the vehicles and the way they handled (especially the smaller flying ships, which are basically Ghosts) made that halo feel even stronger. This is probably why I am enjoying this game so much though it will probably be a few weeks before I get back to it since the steam sale happened and I finally decided to give Crusader Kings 2 a shot, which I am happy to say is a great game itself but I still have a lot to learn.

RedViv says:

Ha, I had (and still have) the same problem with weapons in Halo. Evidence solidifying.

• DerNebel says:

You might not realise it, but Halo is probably the most divisive FPS series out there next to COD, and it mostly comes down to the weapons. The regenerating health people have learnt to live with, but to many players (from what I’ve noticed, especially people who grew up on the likes of Counterstrike) they feel they are playing with toy guns, the weapons simply aren’t satisfying. And then others bloody love it.

Looks like PS2 will divide the waters like that as well. But just the fact that they’ve made war on this scale possible in a game is a triumph in and of itself and will undoubtedly draw in masses of players. It seems like it will be a bit of a sleeper like EVE where population will fall in a couple of weeks and then amass a massive, hardcore playerbase.

• SuicideKing says:

Yeah i loved the first Halo because well, like you mentioned, i found it bloody fun. The weapons don’t have recoil, etc. but that kind of became the point in Halo: it isn’t supposed to be realistic at all.

Games like CS and America’s Army on the other hand have a totaly different thing going on. I played AA 2.8.x a lot, and i loved it because it was what i wanted from a game like that.

PS2 reminds me more of Halo…Reach, probably.

I play as NC so i have just about the right amount of recoil that i can handle at 20 fps… (it’s killed my processor completely. You more or less NEED an i5 or more for this game, my Core 2 Quad isn’t cutting it…though it could be a RAM issue as well).

• derbefrier says:

Lol yeah I always forget about that. When I went from games like Counterstrike amd.TFC it was a bit of a shock but once I acclimated myself to a gamepad i still managed to enjoy myself and had many, many late night Halo LAN parties that were always good times.

• absolofdoom says:

The weapons feel completely different depending on which faction you’re on

7. Crainey says:

Nice insight for those who haven’t played Planetside 2 and don’t know what its all about. It’s certainly a mind-blowing game, the bigger fight going on and grand scale of the world reminds me why I fantasize about EVE.

It seems to get into this game you NEED to find a large group of players to play with, otherwise you get lost too quickly and don’t get the full experience. This is something I should tend to myself, should probably sign-up for an RPS Shoot ‘em up.

Sidenote: During beta, while I did not experience the lag issues reported I did see a number of server crash’s during large fights.

• Snidesworth says:

Thankfully it’s pretty easy to find a force to join up with. There’s an option to auto join a squad whenever you’re not in one and when you first start out the game does just that and drop pods you into whatever hotzone they’re fighting in. There’s usually several squads publicly recruiting as well; just hop into the social menu, join one and then Instant Action/Deploy onto the squad leader’s location.

Not that you even really need to join a squad if you’re diving in for the first time. Just following a zerg as they charge around a continent will give you a good taste of the game while you figure out the less obvious mechanics of it.

• sinister agent says:

You don’t necessarily need a squad, but you do need to find a couple of friendlies. Fortunately this is easy to do, as there are people pretty much everywhere.

• ix says:

Thanks for the tip, I forgot about squads advertising. I can only play an hour or so at a time, and the last few times I tried I ended up in squads that were frustratingly uncommunicative. All I want (as a newb) is somebody to tell me what I could be useful as and where.

In fact the first time I played (in the beta) my squad had some people in it that actually cared, and the little bit of feedback made the game much better. If for some reason you can’t join RPS people (I have not been able to surmise from the forums when or how people get together when it’s not for an event, which I usually can’t join), it’s a bit of a crapshoot trying to recreate that feeling. Last time I ended up spawning, dying, spawning, dying, ad nauseam without any idea of a bigger picture. That kind of experience is I think what most beginners complain about.

Also, I’m due a hardware upgrade soon too, and I suspect it will also make the game more pleasant to play. Can’t tell if much of the lag is from my graphics card or from the network. A little bit of both probably.

Naum says:

If you want to team up with the RPS outfits, just check the Mumble server and see if there’s anyone in the PS2 channels. Currently you have a pretty good chance to meet an at least squad-sized force every evening, not just on Wednesdays and Fridays.

• DyingTickles says:

Like Naum said, check out the Mumble server. I have VS characters on Connery (US-West) and Miller (EU) so I can play with both those RPS groups. The smallest group I’ve seen is 3 other players, and then it ranges up to in the 30s and 40s, I think.

• gritz says:

It’s not really true that you need a large group to have fun in this game. I generally play solo (75%) or with a couple friends (25%), and I rarely run out of things to do. Once you unlock the different explosives like C4, Tank Mines or Prox Mines, you can start setting traps that let you take on small groups by yourself.

Being in a big group steamrolling everything is fine, but you have to stay ahead of the pack or else every fight is over before you get there and all you get to do is help camp the spawn room. Then eventually the zerg decides it’s time to siege the Crown and, well, that’s the end of the zerg.

• fish99 says:

“Then eventually the zerg decides it’s time to siege the Crown and, well, that’s the end of the zerg.”

Lol, so true :D

• sinister agent says:

I do much the same. For the most part, the zerg are incredibly boring for me – either you spend the whole game trying to keep up, overwhelm the handful of defenders in two minutes, or the enemy catch on, and there’s nothing for it but tank spam and two hordes of bodies endlessly dying at each other until enough players on one side get bored or hungry and go to do something else.

Crimsoneer says:

I’m loving it, but wish they’d taken more from EVE. The metagame could use it.

• sinister agent says:

Oh god, please no. The last thing I want to do is have all the fun ruined by having to second-guess some metagaming killjoys.

• ceriphim says:

Is there a metagame? I wouldn’t know.

I’ve yet to see the NC on Helios (West Coast) ever capture a continent. Every time I’ve played in the last 5 days one continent has been VS, one’s been TR. We [NC] are forever getting gangbanged between the two and I’ll be god-damned if I can figure out why. Is this happening on other servers too?

• 0positivo says:

Yes, except on connery, the NC is getting destroyed everywhere. I honestly would love to fight something that isn’t purple for once…

darkChozo says:

NC seem to be getting the short end of the stick overall, at least from people complaining on the forums, but on Jaegir (East) they’re doing fine. TR is the one without a continent there, NC pretty much own Indar and VS own Esamir. Might be just weird metagame stuff.

• sinister agent says:

NC just took over Amerish on Ceres. I wonder how much of it comes down to which of the organised groups are awake/able to play at particular times.

• Treymoney says:

I think that it’s weird that, on Helios, VS always has Esamir. Why only Esamir? Because we blend into the snow better?

• CPLDANABD says:

It’s the map layouts: all the continents are roughly square with one corner free and the two corners adjacent to that one occupied by VS and TR. Unfortunately this means that the NC gets sandwiched by the others in the fourth corner, meaning less room to breath and maneuver. We still manage to do quite well on the AUS server though, at least from what I’ve played, which isn’t much since the end of the beta.

9. airtekh says:

Sigh.

My problem is not with server crashes, but with the game crashing. It will be a few more patches before I’m able to join the struggle for Auraxis I’m sure.

I have had some snippets of fun though, before being rudely booted back to my desktop.

• Feferuco says:

Same here. I like it but I can’t enjoy it because I know at any moment the game will randomly crash. I can run it just fine without losing FPS but it just crashes so much. Apparently because I’m using 32bits or something, or not.

ata says:

Same here as well, very frustrating after having no such problems with the beta.

10. Dan Griliopoulos says:

I was one of the AA maxes spawn-camping the air tower in the first half of the story. Many Vanu felt to my guns. But, boy, do those Bursters burn through ammo!

11. pigchicken says:

I was there, it was glorious

Clavus says:

I’ll probably sign up for the Purple Wednesdays. My clan isn’t big enough to fill up a single squad, so I hope to have some fun in the RPS platoon.

13. Ansob says:

There is also an RPS NC contingent, which you should join instead of the stinking Vanu because blue is a better colour and our guns are bigger.

Also the NC is getting its shit kicked in because all the organised groups are Vanu/Terran and NC needs organised groups if you don’t want Miller’s metagame to become super stale.

RPS NC guys play on Fridays, thread is here: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?6145-Freedom-Fridays-Planetside-2-NC-outfit-nights

I am already disappointed in all of you Barney scum. You have killed freedom.

• Dan Griliopoulos says:

You’re all just discriminating against the colourblind. Come join the fascistic TR! We’re fighting for equal-opportunity eye-gouging.

• Zakski says:

Everyone should definitely join the NC, I mean you can’t trust freedom when its not in your hands …

• Kaira- says:

Rebel scum, join the oppression!

• Tei says:

This is important, actually. The NC is failing to conquer continents, and the other two factions do it often. Miller really need a big group of organized people to “Get Things Done”. Withouth it, the Vanu and TR organized groups will not find real oposition, and will just “pubstomp” over everything.

• Milky1985 says:

Actually on the EU server I’m on NC were the FIRST to conquer a continent (giving us a reduction on airplane resources needed to spawn things), the TR had another continent and the vanu nothing.

But then the TR took over two contintents using tactics such as “take over everything when everyone is in bed”.

Since then its been a fight against oppression!

And people in stupid purple armour.

• NeuralNet says:

Actually the outfit I’m in (The Cut-Throats) regularly help to capture Amerish on the Woodman server.

While it’s true we’re lacking in overall numbers, it doesn’t stop us from laying the smack down on the TR and Vanu scum. :D

• Ansob says:

I think Tei is talking about Miller, where both RPS outfits are (per the threads Jim and I linked) and where the NC isn’t doing well.

• NeuralNet says:

You’re right, interesting how the battles vary so much from server to server.

• Ayam says:

Rock Traitor Shotgun also don’t just wage war, we have races and crash vehicles like Need for speed devs could only dream of: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrlcXFlJhDY

• Hunchback says:

I beg to differ, i am a member of WASP, we are probably the biggest and also most-organised NC outfit on EU Miller. Tag along with us, we are around every night and most of the time during the day (only daytime we usually field 1 squad where the evenings it’s one platoon). We are out there, fighting the zerg.
      There’s also the CONZ, who are apparently alright.

NC is getting it’s shit kicked in because everyone “heard it was bad” and joined the other factions, resulting in HUGE zerg…

• Allenomura says:

I joined NC, since I checked 2 things on logging in EU: Weapon characteristic/ideology (nothing wrong with a look at the lore!), and population dist. On the server I am playing on, it’s near enough even-split, with NC slightly behind on percentage.

To a point in the article: The idea of “The front-runners began to report contact with enemy vehicles, and then…”

That sounds fantastic, to get real-time first-hand updates/impressions on the battle. No-one reports anything. I wish they would. I have my mic prepped, set and tested and any time I join a squad, audio greets go unanswered, and the result is I’m regarding the minimap for squad-member icons. I’d sooner just ignore the distracting (unclear when things heat up) text scrolling (in most online games I do, because so often in online games it’s spam receptor) and focus on the map, to see cap points, and the field, for spotting.

• Hunchback says:

I strongly recommend joining a real outfit. Random squads are bad on so many levels, that most of the time there’s no real difference with just soloing.
          One reason people are not responding to your greetings might be because they have ingame voice disabled – Most of my outfit has, since (sadly) the “local” channel is usually full with retards shouting crap, making all communication impossible.

Playing with an outfit means there will be some form of organization, goals, tactics, eventually roles… I guess it all depends on the outfit, but unless it’s one that completely lacks leadership, it will have all of those.

This game is really awesome when played in a decent group, and kinda completely horrid when played solo. Soloing is basically pointless, you’ll be much better off playing Battlefield than this. Once again, i strongly suggest to everyone to start looking for a decent outfit to join, it will change your whole experience.

• sinister agent says:

For what it’s worth, voice was off for me, and I’ve never bothered to enable it, since (a) my microphone is dead and (b) I’ve played on the internet before, and I’ve no interest in spending a third of my game time wearily muting people.

I make it a point to try to watch what people are doing though, thank the medics, and spot constantly, which tanks and heavies in particular seem to appreciate.

• Lone Gunman says:

At least it makes the NC struggle against oppression more realistic :p

14. Zealuu says:

I would like to add that I was there, and it was glorious.

Can’t remember which squad I was in, but I shot, healed, rezzed, and died as hours just went by in a blur.

If I knew I was playing with THE Jim Rossignol, I would have been more starstruck. Probably.

15. Koozer says:

I wish I got more than 10 FPS during any kind of battle :(

• Kaira- says:

This. Also, if the game didn’t have so horrible lag as to making any kind of sniping as infiltrator be nigh-useless.

• Snakejuice says:

Yeah this game is pretty cpu-hungry. If you like PS2 it’s a good reason to upgrade, I recommend Intel i5-3570K.

• celozzip says:

turn shadows off (ShadowQuality=0) in the useroptions.ini. did wonders for me (about 30fps in battles) and i’m on an old quad core with a gts 250.

• BirdsUseStars says:

Thank you! Turning off the shadows has basically been a night to day difference in the playability of this game for me.

• Lone Gunman says:

Tell me about it. am getting a new GPU for Christmas but I think my quad core is bottle necking the game. I can’t afford a new CPU and motherboard :(

darkChozo says:

Just a tip; alt+f in game will bring up an FPS display in the lower left corner and tell you whether your GPU or CPU is bottlenecking performance. That way you can tell definitively what the problem is. I fluctuate between CPU and GPU depending on how much is going on in the area; if you’re constantly stuck on CPU then you can say for sure what the problem is.

16. Aaarrrggghhh says:

“taking a base”

I don’t know which VS you are talking about but that cant be the Giraffe company ;)

• BarneyL says:

Never before in the field of conflict have so many been killed by their squad mates rolling transport vehicles down cliffs.

• President Weasel says:

“I know a shortcut, follow me”

/explodes

From the gunner’s seat of the magrider directly behind that Sunderer, that was the comedy highlight of the afternoon.

Some_Guy says:

This the time when we got stuck in a chazarm on indar? with people going off the edge and others following while people shoulted it was a cliff.

Stellar Duck says:

Ugh. I wish I could join up.

The game ran great in the beta on my machine but it’s not playable after release for me. SADFACE.

Mungrul says:

I had a brief play around on Saturday, and quite enjoyed what I played, although I haven’t given it anywhere near enough time to understand how unlocks work or how objectives flow and battles move.
    But initial impressions are that it feels a lot like Zipper’s excellent PS3 MMOFPS MAG, which is no bad thing. That game kicked some serious arse, even with the handicap of playing an FPS with a gamepad.
    I look forward to playing some more, especially now that the shine on GW2 is gradually becoming tarnished.

19. Kaira- says:

Is it just me or does the game feel really grindy? The starting sniper for TR Infiltrator is comparable to a BB Gun, and it takes 100 certs to unlock the next sniper (and it won’t come with a scope, so you effectively need 130 certs).

Also, so many technical problems its not even funny. But still, it has a solid good core underneath all the dirt. But then again, so much dirt…

• BarneyL says:

It’s only grindy if you focus on the expensive weapon unlocks and are determined not to put any money in to the game. Just find something else to do, 100 certs should be acheivable in an evening’s play, there’s plenty you can do with the default weapons.
      Hint on the non bolt action sniper rifles, get the timing right and you can pull a second shot off just as the gun levels out from the first shot, with a bit of practice you can get two hits in quick sucession the majority of times.

• Snidesworth says:

Trouble is that some of those expensive weapon unlocks are extremely useful. Alternate primary weapons not so much, but as Heavy Assault you’ll benefit massively from picking up the anti-air rocket launcher. If it does less damage than the standard dumbfire one I’ve yet to notice and the ability to punch back at air targets is invaluable. It also has less drop off (or at least the TA one does), making long range tank hunting a bit easier. It’s a huge upgrade and it’s locked away behind a 1000 cert barrier.

It’s even worse when it comes to aircraft. Empire Specific Fighters benefit massively from getting rocket/photon pods, another expensive upgrade, and the Liberator, supposedly a doom-spewing gunship, is stuck with an anti-vehicle chaingun for its belly mount until you put down a huge number of certs on getting a proper cannon.

• BarneyL says:

I agree completely that there are pricing\balance issues in the weapon unlocks especially if your heart is set on some specific in game roles such as focusing on vehicle play.
          However there are plenty of fun ways to play that take very little or no time to get set up for especially if you’re in a decent squad.

• ceriphim says:

Exactly what Snidesworth said – there are fundamental weapons which should have been more accessible than being locked behind 1000 certs. That’s literally 8-10 sessions of play for me (even with a premium membership and a boost, for fuck’s sake).

The other issue I have is the MASSIVE disparity in cert costs. New scope? 30 certs, no prob. New gun? Looking at 250-1000 certs. Hunh? Especially when the vehicles are considered like weapons in terms of unlocks, you just get nickle-&-dimed for goddamn everything.

Lastly, I loved the original PS because once you built up enough certs you could be good at two to three things at once. The gameplay of PS2 seems much more broad to start but very shallow for a LONG time unless you go on a Stationcash-spree. I don’t need an upgrade every 10 minutes, but show me some goddamn progression FFS.

• DyingTickles says:

They doubled the rate of achieving certs so you could unlock things faster, but didn’t want weapons to be unlocked faster, so they doubled the cost of weapons. That’s why it seems like such a disparity in cost.

I played the game, enjoyed it, so I plopped down $50, which is less than a new full game that I would play for less time and enjoy less would cost. It’s allowed me to unlock what I deemed I needed from a couple days of play, and left me some left over money to keep buying XP boosts for a bit.

darkChozo says:

One interesting thing is that the pay bit of the F2P model is actually pretty phenomenal. The bundles are really nice, and they are on rotation so you don’t get stuck in a position where you already own half the “starter pack” or something. If you’re smart and get station cash on sale, you could get a 2000 SC pack for somewhere between $6 and $10; in that pack you’ll get 6 or 7 weapons plus 2 or 3 cosmetics. For that price you’d get a gun/champion or two in most other games.

The F2P weapons unlock is a bit of a drag, so probably the best way to enjoy this game is to buy a bundle or two and then unlock other stuff as you go. That’s what I’ve done, but then again I’m pretty bought into this game already; it probably sucks if you were looking for a title that could be enjoyed fully for free.

20. One Pigeon says:

That was a fun afternoon. I meant to pop on for a few free hours and ended up playing around 7 over the whole day.

The defense of Auraxis Firearms had several memorable moments for me, aside from the unending waves of enemy aircraft strafing us and constant armor bombardment and repelled sunderers:

Seeing an enemy galaxy land a full squad at our air pad then reporting this on mumble, resulting in a swarm of defenders destroying their aircraft and assault team in seconds.

Realising I should eat some lunch, saying my goodbye and good luck, only to have the reply
    “War waits for no man’s lunch”.
    I genuinely felt a bit guilty for leaving. What a game.

21. medwards says:

All the commenters who say “I was there” remind me of:

22. akstro says:

why cant there be any RPS terran outfit? :(

• Cooper says:

If you are desperate for some TR action, check out the PCGamer outfit on their forums.

• Gnoupi says:

Shoot him.

Harlander says:

Nothing more than no-one having started one yet.

And the TR being terrible fascists, of course. ;)

RaveTurned says:

The TR really are pretty bad at being fascists. I mean, they can barely even march in time, let alone goose-step.

• sinister agent says:

RPS loves freedom. And guns that are better fired than used as clubs.

• fish99 says:

According to the games lore, NC are fighting for freedom, Vanu are technological cultists.

• President Weasel says:

ALL HAIL SCARY VOICE MAN!

“Imminent victory is all but assured”

Excellent, Scary Voice Man is pleased with us.

23. Flappybat says:

Oh my other complaint is that quite a lot of the bases have terrible design. They haven’t thought enough about the issues with spawning and capture points. Tech labs have four narrow doorways that are easily defended and one roof entrance that only puts you right next to two of the same entrances. Bio labs also only have three (I think) entrances, two air pads and one teleporter.

• celozzip says:

yep. i was expecting each continent to be composed of several unique battlefield/enemy territory maps spread out across the landmass. instead we’ve got an assortment of copy pasted bases from a selection of what, 3? so apart from slight changes in the hilly terrain or a bridge now and then each base is the same as the last.

Tom De Roeck says:

To be honest, it makes sense that bases are very similar, just like in real life; if you put down structures with any kind of purpose, all in relatively short time, they will have similar layouts to make it easier to construct, easier to navigate, etc.

Of course, the game could use a bit more variety, but Im sure that will come with time. Right now, I wish the server hickups would go away, and that I get more certs :D

24. woodsey says:

Very much enjoying it. I think it’d perhaps be easier to learn what you’re meant to be doing sooner if the HUD and screen weren’t so crammed with stuff all the time, but it’s relatively easy to pick up.

My favourite moment so far has been when we were invading an enemy base, and a load of teammates (30, at least) were trying to charge through these tunnels that lead underneath the base’s outer-walls. Everyone was getting slaughtered trying to push through though, so I decided to jetpack over the wall and start easing the resistance – took a bunch of the guys defending out with a grenade and picked off a couple of others before they noticed me above. By the time I got there after respawning we’d push through and were inside the base.

25. sinister agent says:

Perhaps it’s because medics in Planetside 2 are very capable fighters in their own right. I’ve spent as much time stopping flankers and picking off lurking infiltrators as a medic as I have healing. The jesus bomb actually gives them an advantage in most one-on-one fights, rather than the usual disadvantage medics get in games.

26. xandertron says:

I just want to say that one of my greatest gaming moments of the year happened in this game. I redeployed to my squad’s waypoint, dropped out of the sky in my drop pod… and collided with a Scythe, killing both me and him. I didn’t even know that was possible.

The icing on the cake: it was a Vengeance Kill.

Tom De Roeck says:

I think this game lends itself to emergent gaming very well.

27. Greg Wild says:

That grinding armoured push through the winding mountain path was maybe the highlight of my time on Planetside 2 so far. The initial contact was more cinematic than anything you’ll get out of any scripted FPS: our column was rumbling on, my tank-busting outfitted Magrider in the front rank, someone yells “contact!” and we run into a load of Prowlers, camped in the tight confines of the pass. All the movement kicks up dust while shells and laser fire fill the air. I managed to light one Prowler up as comrades in arms do the same and gradually we prevail and push through, a little worse-for-wear but intact.

Then another line of tanks greets us around the corner. And we breeze through them again. Utterly fucking awesome. It showed Planetside 2 at its best; two large and organised(ish) groups of people playing tug-of-war over a vital location. It really was one of those moments of mass-scale emergent gameplay that you basically only get in Planetside.

Though I’m really sorry for the people I ran over in my Magrider :D (I am StalinsGhost/StGhost)

28. SkittleDiddler says:

LAGFACE
    UPGRADEMYCPUFACE
    GRINDFACE
    =
    NOGAMEFACE

29. MrUnimport says:

Funnily enough I have the opposite impression. Medic draws me in when I’m playing TF2, because it’s just so easy to shoot people full of healing rays and every death feels like a liability. Here though, life is so cheap, people die so fast, and there are so many of them that I really cannot be bothered to go around and heal each individual one, not when it’s eight seconds including the walk to respawn at the nearby Sunderer and there are tanks out there I could be helping to destroy. If there’s anything I’ve learned about this game during beta, it’s that space and materiel matter far more than lives; you are defending your spawn and the objectives, and attacking the all-important enemy vehicles. If you die, it barely matters as long as you get out there and push the frontline, or do some damage to an enemy tank, as soon as you can.

• Snidesworth says:

Revives are most useful for when you’re not near the spawn. Getting people back up and in the fight in a few seconds instead of having them rejoin the front half a minute later can mean the difference between taking ground and being pushed back yourself. It also stops you from heading into the next fight with injured troops. Given how one on one fights often end with people on critically low health you can make a big difference by keeping everyone topped up.

30. SuicideKing says:

Does anyone know if the game can use more than 4 threads? Was wondering if an i7 has any advantage over an i5. And how’s the FX-8350 holding up?

31. ran93r says:

I played about 90 mins at the end of last week, mostly Engineer with a little Infiltrator for a change of pace. It was fun zerging along, repairing Max’s and vehicles. Performance was ok, I understood more or less what I was supposed to be doing, looks nice but ultimately just got me to thinking about how much I missed playing BF3, so I updated that and bought Premium. Each to their own I suppose.

Aerothorn says:

*One of* the RPS Vanu outfits. Don’t forget about us poor Americans. Scythe Sundays at 5 PM PST!

33. fish99 says:

Loving the game. Runs just about good enough on high with 660 and an I5-760 (quad @ 3.1). Haven’t joined a squad once yet but I’ve never had problems finding interesting fights and contributing. I’d say the biggest strengths of the game are the variety of combat available, and the sheer feel of being in a big battle at night.

For people who find multiplayer games a bit intimidating this is a great one to try, because individual failure is insignificant in a game of this scale. You’d also be surprised how much a single player can achieve. You might be the one guy that notices enemies on the map at a certain sector and prevents the cap, or you might be the one guy who thinks to spawn an AMS sunderer when the SCU is about to go down and saves a base.

34. Sidion says:

The game is crap to me. Once I got over the sheer spectacle of it all (Which is extremely grand, and amazing mind you.) It quickly lost it’s luster. For me before when I had a regular group of 5, we were relatively useless. The zerg aspect of the game made it so we either had little fun dominating points away from the bulk of players, or we were forced to fight along side the horde of randoms just playing a sub-par TDM on shoddy maps.

Then I got a group of 6+ and suddenly it was actually more fun for a while. Til I started to see how the poor king-of-the-hill style capture mechanics and scatter brained combat really became.

I guess I’d hoped for defense, ya know. The sort of your 12 friends versus hundreds of random players trying to steal away the outpost while you prayed reinforcements showed up. A more linear base capture system (Instead of this whole, sit on A… Wait… Wait… Capture… Wait… Wait… Wait… Base flip)

Instead it’s just a shoddy FPS. It doesn’t do anything particularly well, some things (such as balance) are just horrible, and the scale quickly becomes less and less impressive.

I’d much rather have BF3 with 2000 people than this. Hell even just BF3 with 200 people and 3 separate factions would be good.

35. Kestilla says:

So how long have you been playing then?

I hope you realize this game will evolve over time as the community grows and the playerbase becomes more jaded with higher level characters.

I’m not entirely sure how BF3 is better when it almost always devolves into the very thing you’re describing, except instead of a large group of people working together to take a base it’s small groups of lone wolves not working together and shouting crap over the chat channel.

Which I’ve yet to see in this game. And as for balance, again, still not sure what you’re talking about. Low levels will get hurt by higher levels, same as in Battlefield 3. In BF3 you don’t even get the defib paddles until you’re several levels along. Talk about a handicap. And snipers don’t get their straight pull bolts until late in a weapon’s progression.

36. zippomage says:

Sir, despite the fact that the game you are describing is an immaculate work of art, your prose would have sold me on it. You could have sold me a pile of dung with such oratory. Brilliant.

37. Tams80 says:

May I interject?

Aren’t you supposed to be working ‘Sir, You are Being Hunted’? Get back to work!

– GrumpyOldMan73