Take A T’Loak At Mass Effect 3 Omega

By Nathan Grayson on November 27th, 2012 at 8:00 am.

They say Aria's biotics are some of the most powerful out there. Well, when she's not choking them, anyway.

I’m not the sort of person who usually watches the deleted/extended scenes of movie special editions. I mean, I’m sure they’re fascinating – and I’ll definitely go for a swim in the deep end if I’m really, really into something – but odds are, I’ve already gotten the point. I’ve seen the credits roll on the vanilla version. I’ve taken the journey, and – unless it’s been a while – I’m not super interested in trying the scenic route. That’s pretty much my dilemma with Mass Effect 3‘s DLC as well. Omega, for instance, looks like a bombastic jaunt off the beaten space-path, but I already know where it ultimately leads. Still though, a new trailer makes a compelling argument for me to play it sooner rather than later – if only because it looks like a fairly robust self-contained tale. Also, Aria’s finally doing things. Explode-y things. I bet her faithful couch is terribly lonely.

So right then, what do you think of Karate Action Aria? I’m not sure if she’s cut out for the whole inspirational rally-the-troops speech-giving shtick, but hopefully there’s more to Omega than wanton man/spiky man/large rhino frog man/blue not-man/robo-man shooting.

If nothing else, Aria as a party member, an honest-to-goodness female Turian, and a four-or-so-hour runtime are all locks for this one. Apparently, however, there are no new romance options, which is a shame since – as we all know – the only real reason anyone plays Mass Effect is for sizzling sensuality.

At any rate, Omega should be available right now-ish. Today’s its release day, so expect it very, very soon for the fairly hefty price of £10/$15. So then, are you going to lend Aria a helping hand? And, sort of on that subject, did you imagine such a generally hands-off character’s moment in the spotlight being so, um, loud?

, , , , , .

1. caddyB says:

I’ll buy it if we get to fuck with Aria.

• end0rphine says:

1:29
      We might friend. We just might.

• AngoraFish says:

I’ll buy it if we get to fuck Aria.

There, fixed that for you.

• Patches the Hyena says:

Ha!

I’m a bit more interested in Omega’s implications for the multiplayer, believe it or not. It’s a fun little mode which has been supported rather well since release.

• phylum sinter says:

agreed! I keep playing it… and now i’m playing Mass Effect 2 at the SAME TIME.

TWO COMPUTERS, TWO MOUSES, ONE SERIOUS CASE OF WALLEYES.

jk about the same time part, but everything else was true. I still haven’t unlocked a Volus :(

• Orija says:

I’ll buy it if we get to fuck over Aria.

• evernessince says:

But her motto is “Nobody fucks with Aria”. It would be great if under her breath she whispered: “but sheperd”.

2. LionsPhil says:

Turian? I’ll admit to not playing cover-based dating sims, but I thought that was Garrus’ growly bug-lips race; the screenshot (whose tooltip talks about Aria) seems to be one of the “we’re all xenophile bisexual Twi’lek women” race.

• Low Life says:

You are correct, but Nathan is referring to the character seen in the trailer around 0:49.

3. TimMc says:

I wrote this DLC off when I found out they put tits on a turian so that we all knew it was female.

Plus this trailer shows (again) some really uninspiring voice acting.

• Bhazor says:

This is the first I’ve heard of it. The shot of a guy moving a chess piece and saying “It begins” told me all I need to know.

• Wut The Melon says:

I would blame the writing rather than the voice acting, I think the latter is pretty good in ME games. But after having played The Witcher I find it pretty hard to take these games seriously as RPG’s.

phuzz says:

“tits on a turian” is my new favourite internet swearword.

(well, swear phrase if you’re going to be pedantic)

4. stiffkittin says:

Well Aria’s by far and away the best character in the entire series so fair enough.

• HisMastersVoice says:

No, the Singing Scientist Salarian is. But yes, other than him, the Aggressive Mafia Blue Alien Stripper is the best.

Which speaks volumes about the level of writing in Bioware games these days.

• stiffkittin says:

I stand corrected. I’d forgotten how I completely laughed my head off with him. I still like Aria’s character better but Mordin was very well written.

particlese says:

I think I’m the only person on the planet who didn’t enjoy Mordin’s song one bit. I enjoyed it negative bits, in fact, but those aren’t fun to talk about. Still, I agree: He’s still the best character in the series! Besides Shepard, of course. They both helped save the galaxy, but only Shepard made all the friends. And maybe punched a reporter in the face. And came back to life and smiled away her facial fissures. And kinda sorta maybe had something happen to her at the (possible) end of the war.

As for Aria, I didn’t find her particularly memorable, but I haven’t played ME3 yet. Garrus, however, was the (spikey) man, so I’ll cheer for the cool new Turian.

5. Orija says:

Do people give a shit about ME any more after the abortion that was ME3? And it seems that this is content cut from vanilla, I remember Aria talking about taking her base back or something, you even have an option to offer help IIRC.

Stijn says:

Yes, a very very large number of people greatly enjoyed the game and many still play it regularly, as can be seen in the multiplayer part of the game. Obviously, not everyone thinks it was a bad game, like you apparently do.

While this DLC might’ve been planned from the beginning, saying it’s cut content is kind of a stretch I think. It’s more like leaving open the possibility to integrate the DLC neatly at a later point.

• RobinOttens says:

ME3 wasn’t ‘an abortion’. I loved it, a lot of people did. Stijn does too, see! It had some downsides, it wasn’t the best game in the series, but it also did some things better then they have been in the previous games. Overall it was a fantastic experience and a worthy conclusion to the story. A vocal minority didn’t like it.

I agree though that this does feel like it was intended to be in the original game. But I doubt they had anything developed for it aside from that one line of voice acting and some vague idea for a mission.

• Nevard says:

The only problem I had with ME3 was the end, and there was a fairly significant amount of content preceding that.

• ChromeBallz says:

Exactly this is why i can’t play any of the ME games anymore.

The end of ME3 is both so definitive AND pointless that it makes all the preceding content feel utterly useless. The entire selling point of the series has been undermined by the ending and i wouldn’t be surprised if Leviathan has sold very poorly – Omega may not do very well either. Why play those DLC’s when you already know beyond a shadow of a doubt what’s going to happen?

The ending, while only being ~30 minutes in total, sours the entire 60-90 hours of gameplay before it. If i could i would cut out everything that happens after Shepard leaves the outpost for the final charge and pretend it’s an open ending…

• f1x says:

Exactly my feelings about it,

I’ve been looking to replay the 3 games again but the ending somehow killed all my interest forever, because indeed if I try to play again I’m gonna think about the ending at every step, and my heart wont stand it!

• phylum sinter says:

I had that idea too… that the ending would seal up the trilogy forever for me (until i ran out of engaging space operas to play). And given that field has never been vast, it was bound to happen. Now i’m appreciating the whole series more, playing ME2 and 3 (3 more for the MP, but i have started a more difficult campaign). As i play 2, i’m finding myself constantly pinging my memory of 3 and vice versa. Seeing how so much thought has gone into making the series make sense has really been awe-inspiring and on a design level it’s interesting for me to play both games at once. Its’ not without flaws, but i cannot find another trilogy in my brain that took so much time to weave a narrative around itself.

• JakeOfRavenclaw says:

Leviathan was apparently their bestselling DLC yet (http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/355/index/14284539#14284704), so I think you may be overestimating people’s resentment.

AmateurScience says:

What an unpleasant turn of phrase.

• Keeper_Deven says:

Count me as part of that ‘vocal minority’ that dislikes the game. As someone who loved ME2 despite the silly main plot, I expected to like ME3 till I got to the ending. I didn’t get farther than what I assume is the midpoint before quitting. The only thing I found interesting in the game is Javik. BioWare needs more characters with -ic/-ik endings. Though even Varric didn’t stop me from quitting DA2 after Act 2.

Edit: Whoops, replied to the wrong post.

• phylum sinter says:

I care about ME3 still, wouldn’t have called the whole ending debacle ‘series ruining’ or the third game an abortion – although yes it did completely break expectations for the story climax. Could have seen it coming actually with all the morbid dreams of trying to save that kid.

Loved Leviathan (the last dlc), and still play the MP regularly, but am a little meh on this one. For cheapies i would take part though.

• wodin says:

I envy people who can still keep playing the same game for longer than a a few months. The only games I can play for awhile are wargames, now FPS if I actually finish it which is rare I never have the inclination to go back.

Sarigs says:

Yeah I think I’ll be trying this out along with Leviathan, not with my finished shepherd plot though, been meaning to start the series over with a different character class/decisions and play though with the DLC I missed the first time round. Personally I loved the series upto the end of ME3 (I’m looking at you Earth and that painful missile turret defense section) and was disappointed by the vanilla ending.
      `
      But replayed the end after the extended patch hit and was more then satisfied TBH

• Xzi says:

ME3 was actually the best of the series, gameplay-wise. The mechanics were tight and the action satisfying.

The story bits, however, almost completely invalidated the need for Mass Effect 2. And the ending was definitely something of an abortion.

So yeah, ME1 (good story + gameplay) > ME3 (great gameplay) > ME2 (you umm…meet a lot of aliens).

• Erithtotl says:

I think the gameplay was better than 2, but 2 felt bigger and many of the stories were more involving. 3 felt very linear.

I think 1 took the most risks and tried the most things (some worked some didn’t).

I loved the ME series but I felt like they went a little too far into the ‘talking and shooting’ style that has been mocked by the writers here a few times. There basically was nothing else to do in the game but talk and shoot by #3.

• djim says:

It’s all about the journey. And the journey is fantastic. It’s ok though, not everybody likes everything.
      What i do not understand is why do people need to enforce their point of view?

• Xzi says:

I think the most vocal among us are those that were the most excited by the series’ potential and thus the most disappointed when it didn’t pan out. Mass Effect is a very unique series in the realm of gaming, and really could have changed the public’s perception of the medium as a whole. It was THAT captivating in the beginning.

Instead, Bioware was bought by EA, the story took a nose dive, the RPG mechanics disappeared, and the target audience was changed to anyone with money. And that was just Mass Effect 2.

So we kept playing and just got more and more bitter along the way. To the point where we couldn’t even recognize what successes there were in Mass Effect 3. And there certainly were some. Just none in the way of story or player choice.

• mittortz says:

I like the way you said all that. I don’t like to think about all the “corporate involvement” and stuff that you mentioned, but it’s quite possible that’s the reason the ME series went the way that it did (downhill).

I loved the first Mass Effect, and I loved it so much that by the end I had decided I would play 2 and 3. I found little to dislike in the gameplay, and it was good fun for the most part. But it was the universe, atmosphere, and story that captivated me in a way that very few other modern games have managed to. I imagined that only continuing with the sequels, but I was met with disappointment in ME2 and even more in ME3.

And I know that the general consensus is that ME2 improved upon the first game in many ways… but even if you look at just the gameplay, I don’t agree nor do I fully understand why anyone would think that. Simple mechanics like switching health to regenerative and ammo to non-regen made no sense to me, aside from conforming to the standard model of modern shooters.

Eh, I’ll stop ranting. TL;DR: ME1>ME2>ME3 imho and that made me sad.

• Shezo says:

“It’s all about the journey. And the journey is fantastic”

No, it’s not all about the journey.
        If a nice and pleasant date ended with an ass-rape, you will mostly remember ending, and not the journey.

• Fluka says:

Yes. Because a disappointing ending is comparable to a violent sexual assault. *blocky block*

xao says:

Yeah, except that’s not what he did. He just refuted a rather trite aphorism.

• Fluka says:

Yes, by using an awful, overused internet metaphor.

• caddyB says:

I was entertained by Mass Effect series as a whole until the ending. I’m not going to let the bit that I didn’t like ruin the rest of the dozens of hours of fun I’ve had over the years.

• Orija says:

Unfortunately for me, I dislike the entire game. From the plotholes, the stupid characters, awful story, pretentious attitude towards character development, wonky textures and animations, the token gay romance, Femshep’s silicon implants, the space ninja, to it’s detachment from the previous two games, I didn’t like any of it.

6. yurusei says:

Well. A female Turian, about damn time. Some that have abandoned ME3 might be pulled back by this.

DAMN YOU BIOWARE AND YOUR MIND READING WAYS.

7. Ironclad says:

Meh. I’m done with the ME universe. Give me a Hanar or Elchor dlc and I’ll consider it. Until then, I don’t care.

8. MSJ says:

Based on the release of Leviathan, Omega should be available in a couple of hours. Hurry up with it!

One thing that wasn’t mentioned is that Omega may be a new mini-hub similar to ME2′s Shadow Broker ship. The people who loves data mining games found some files that suggests this in one of the patches or DLCs for ME3.

9. lizzardborn says:

Aria giving freedom speeches. Bland freedom speeches. Disgusting. And out of character. And we have pseudo Thrawn as an enemy. For 15 bucks. I think I will probably wait for 75% off steam sale for this one.

AmateurScience says:

Well in that case you may be waiting until the seas dry up and the mountains break and all things pass away into darkness and the world is reformed in the void at the heart of all things.

• phylum sinter says:

oooh because it’s not on Steam. Now i got it.

That said, this is hitting the ceiling when it comes to what i’d consider ‘reasonable price’ for DLC. I haven’t seen what sort of MP additions it brings with it, but i might wait for that magical day when the DLC gets cheaper too… on Origin?

AmateurScience says:

Agreed, when you consider it’s almost half the cost of the main game at release, it makes you wonder a little. Although I must say I’ve been rather pleased with the amount and volume of free DLC there’s been for MP, which surprised me with how engaging it was, so in that context it might be justified?

For me, having concluded the epic tale of Doug Shepard Interstellar Nice Guy, I think ME3 is a closed book to me, might pick this up in the future if I go back for another go at the series though.

10. Arglebargle says:

Someone’s movie watching habits need some work.

11. edinforth says:

Is it based on the Invasion comic that they released?

12. Rognik says:

(Warning: potential spoiler from the ME novels about Aria’s backstory)
    Dammit… I promised myself I wouldn’t buy anything else from Bioware after the ME3 ending… b-b-b-b-but… female Turian, finally… and I’ve been sympathetic with Aria ever since (spoiler) her daughter was murdered by Kai Leng in the novels… n-not that I’ve read them…

Bah. I just need to keep reminding myself how the ending completely ruined the entire universe. It’s so sad… they spent all this time making such a wonderful universe, and then just gave you four different ways to ruin it at the end of the game. The fact that they managed to polish it up so nicely in the extended cut will go down in history as one of the world’s finest attempts at polishing shit, but it’s still a rancid, reckless ending that fundamentally undermines the themes from the rest of the story.

Nope. Not gonna buy it.

• MSJ says:

Before Extended Cut: everyone has legitimate complaints about the ending.

After Extended Cut: Discussions on if the endings are good or bad is not a debate of who is right or wrong anymore, but closer to people discussing whether the ending of Inception was a dream or whether Tarantino films are all part of the same alternate reality.

• Erithtotl says:

The argument about the endings after the Extended Cut is not the abruptness, but rather the fact that it ignored every decisions you’d made through 3 games and made it an arbitrary ‘choose one of these 3′ things at the end.

13. Sarkhan Lol says:

At last, another adventure of The Shepard.

14. StingingVelvet says:

I’ve been out of the country so I missed Leviathan. The idea of plopping down $25 for Mass Effect DLC when I get home is just preposterous considering what all I got in the recent Amazon and Steam sales for a fifth of that or less.

15. Godwhacker says:

For some reason they forgot to add a character saying “There’s a storm coming…” to that trailer. Other than that I think they hit all the big clichés.

16. Cuchulainn says:

I’m still playing ME3 first time round (been playing it since it came out – it’s been a year with not much gaming time for me), so I still don’t know what the fuss with the ending is, and I think I’ll pick this up tonight to include in my playthrough.

To be honest, I’m not to worried about the ending at this stage – I’m having a blast when I do get to play through ME3 and, as I’m a completist, my current savegame is 40+ hours. That’s a lot of enjoyment for the money, so I’ll forgive them if they glitch it a bit – it’s a big enough story that I’d see it being hard to finish satisfactorily in any medium.

• Arcanon says:

“I’m not to worried about the ending at this stage”

I remember that feeling…I was like you once…*sigh*

17. Eddy9000 says:

Oh look, I hated the ending to mass effect 3, I felt the total break from the narrative consistency of the past hundred or so hours in the last ten minutes retrospectively dicked on the whole experience for me, and I’m not going back. But even if this wasn’t the case isn’t this a pretty long time after the game was released to be releasing DLC? It seems a bit mistimed, I don’t generally go in for DLC generally so perhaps it’s de rigeur, but I’m sure the excellent new Vegas stuff was released at a more ongoing tempo (I use it as an example because its pretty much the only DLC I bought, because it was ace). I’d be interested in hearing what is bringing people buying this back, and how they approach it (whole new game?, start from a middle of the story save?)

Oozo says:

Late, yes, but then again, it was just released for WiiU, for the first time (obviously). So I guess there might be some sort of renewed-ish interest in the game, or at least EA might be hoping so.

18. Subject 706 says:

Sidenote: Why are 99% of all ME aliens and 100% of your alien NPCs so incredibly, unplausibly, and boringly anthropomorphic??

• jalf says:

• Subject 706 says:

“because it wouldn’t be a very interesting story if you couldn’t relate to, or even communicate with, or comprehend the existence of, those 99%.”

No need to make them quite that different. In ME they’re mostly humans with different textures, the Asari especially. It seems almost lazy to me. No need to make energy beings you can’t see or comprehend, but the “standard human template” is extremely boring.

• Eddy9000 says:

“No need to make energy beings”

Although if you are going to introduce energy beings I reckon the best time to do it would be in the last ten minutes, and have them conclude the plot by babbling nonsense that has nothing to do with the story you just spend over a hundred hours playing through.

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

I played a game with energy beings you can’t see or comprehend. But that was Boiling Point, and the experience was quite surreal.

• UberMonkey says:

The most likely answer is that making all of the primary characters humanoid massively reduces the amount of animation work that needs to be done. Every character uses a nearly identical animation skeleton with some minor tweaks to bone scale and envelopes and this allows animations to be reused between not just characters but also races.

It might sound lazy but you won’t find any game that doesn’t do this; it’s just usually much easier to excuse since we expect all the characters to be human in the majority of stories. And on top of that, a non-humanoid character would be extremely difficult to animate by motion capture (likely requiring pieces of animation, like arms and legs, to be recorded individually and them stitched together). This is why most of the non-humanoids in the ME games generally only have 1 or 2 repeating animation loops.

19. Maxheadroom says:

I’m pretty sure I used the same “DVD extras” analogy last time some Mass Effect 3 DLC popped out.
    As explody as this looks (as as much as I liked the trillogy as a whole) I’m not sold on this either

Also, stop stealing my comments Nathan :)

20. Bhazor says:

Remember when ME 3 was marketed with lines like “Finish the fight”?

• Citrus says:

“Finish the Fight”, it was for Reapers. Reapers would’ve won too if not for that damn kid and his inane ramblind (yes, with a d).

21. deadly.by.design says:

That’s not Shepard. That’s a Jennifer Taylor.

22. sibberke says:

At least, EA seems to have some sort of contract with Two Steps From Hell for their trailer music. That’s the best part of this news.

• LionsPhil says:

Yeah, thought that sounded like one of theirs.

Kind of surprised. I thought EA tended to prefer things in-house.

23. Citrus says:

Great, can’t wait to not play this. Also, I always found their shitty biotic animations/SFX in-game hilarious.

FACT: Biotics can do AMAZING things.. only in cinematics.

24. U-99 says:

Charging 15$ for 4 hours of gameplay (pretty much the same as in original ME3) – that’s crazy.