The Post Where I Notice SimCity’s “Clumph” Noise

By Jim Rossignol on November 27th, 2012 at 5:00 pm.

Would you want to see SimCity‘s creative director showing you some of what the latest city-tinkering sandbox can do? No? Oh. Well, for you I’ve posted an alternative viewing material beneath the click. For me, though, with my keen interest in the ways of the simulated metropolis, there’s a video of best-named-developer, Ocean Quigley, doing his thing in the “ultimate construction set” of options that SimCity provides.

Clearly the ultimatest thing about it is the “clumph” noise on placing a building. Everything else in the game rests on that effect.

Via The Infinite News Node of VG247.

Alternative viewing:

See? These beneath cut bits are informative and provide surprise education possibilities.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Hodge says:

SIMMY PROFESSOR 2: THE CLUMPHS.

• Wreckdum says:

I am so tired of gaming promotional videos referring to their game having a “living, breathing world” When is this phrase going to go away?!

• SominiTheCommenter says:

You can always not watch promotional videos and just read what the RPS writers and commenters say. Works for me.

2. SlappyBag says:

I am jealous of that mans gorgeous facial hair.

3. Inigo says:

Bulldozer’s “DRRRT” noise will be paid DLC.

• dontnormally says:

1 year after release we’ll see two or three $40 expansions that add a single feature.

A single AWESOME, NEVER-BEFORE SEEN feature. Like regions, or subways !!

• MacTheGeek says:

I wish it was going to be that simple. I expect EA to give this game the full Sims DLC treatment: $20 “building packs”, $30 “expansions”, released every couple of months for the next couple years. Why charge $60 for a full game, when you can charge $360?

4. DanPryce says:

Ocean Quigley: Steampunk Father Christmas

5. Faldrath says:

I watched the second video first. Yay, learning!

6. LimEJET says:

I watched both videos, because I’m a rebel like that.

7. porschecm2 says:

My issue with it is that while all the inter-connectivity looks fantastic, what happens when you just want to screw around with a city? What happens if you want to play around and make a city that is just overrun with crime? That’s going to spill into your other cities, unless you have a way of fencing off certain cities from the larger world, or starting a whole “new” game world each time; which, according to everything I’ve seen, doesn’t seem possible. I’d love to know that there’s a free-play feature in there somewhere to allow people to make a city in a vacuum, isolated from their other cities.

• Smashbox says:

Good questions, all. Concerns we all share. The fact is, we don’t know, yet. Hopefully the beta’s launching soon.

• UmmonTL says:

I’d guess they will give you options to regulate how much influence a neighbouring city has. Thinking about crime for example I’d make a toll-booth/border control building that reduces crime coming through but also reduces whatever positive effects travelling people might bring. Anyways, you can always just not connect to neighbouring cities.

• RedViv says:

You can probably just demolish an entire city, as in SC4. Shouldn’t be a problem, system-wise, if you can manage the drastic change of resource flow in your own private region.

• LionsPhil says:

Wasn’t connection with neighbouring cities a feature since SimCity 2000, even if you couldn’t edit them then? I think it was that one which introduced highways.

• RedViv says:

True, but that didn’t really have “regional” play. Only the rudimentary exchange of basic necessities. Not exactly rewarding for having to wait for ages while players connect. Or deal with each other. Not worth it at all.

• tyren says:

It’s been ages so I could be wrong but I don’t remember neighboring cities in 2000. I thought it started with 3000. But yeah, I remember 3k having the whole “neighboring cities you could trade resources with but not view or edit in any way” thing.

• Cooper says:

Remember, saves are kept in the “cloud”. Even if you play “offline” it uses the same mechanism:

They have confirmed no save and reload.

You cannot create a disaster and then go back.
      You cannot try one avenue of development and then go back and try another.
      You cannot experiment with one mode of development without that experiment being permanent.

This is mentioned rarely. It’s confirmed by devs when asked. Yet no one ever seems to pick up on it…

• aepervius says:

Not only that but also size limitation. I am reminded of shades of sim society. They probably want to make it more popular, or have some kind of convoluted argument on piracy or plan to monetize as much as possible on people by having essential DLC. No matter which SC5 is for me as discussed by the dev, a non-buy or maybe a 4 month bargage bin. Not a “keep it preciously and resinstall on every new PC to keep playing it” like some of the other were.

8. Superpat says:

What marvelous facial hair!

9. Smashbox says:

There are THINGS here that I find utterly thrilling. Please, dudes, let me play it how I want to, and let me experiment.

10. Didero says:

It’s kind of amazing to realize that something that was so incredibly futuristic that it wasn’t recreated for two millennia, was rebuilt using a toy.

11. Rincewind says:

I know this is a common complaint, but it’s too cartoony! The buildings aren’t directly next to each other, there’s no sign of rowhouses, it just doesn’t look real in the same way that Sim City 4 looked real. I want varying architectural styles, for one, and I saw little sign of that.

12. Sardonic says:

Game is a disaster, which is sad. Non-contiguous cities in region view, 2 km by 2km maximum city sizes. Zoning density driven by road choice.

It’s like it’s trying to be a region-enabled Tropico.

• Smashbox says:

Literally nobody except the devs has ever laid hands on it. It miiiiiiigght be too early to call.

• Lev Astov says:

They boasted about the max size of 2x2km as if that was anything but minuscule. You could actually see the pain in their faces in the interview video when they were questioned about it. I’m quite concerned for SC5.

• The Random One says:

Tropico also came to mind often, especially when they explained the lack of terraforming as the terrain being a puzzle.

13. Jimbo says:

“Oh hi, I’m Ocean Quigley and I have a better name AND a better beard than you.”

Jerk.

14. Flukie says:

A polished game exploring genuinely interesting territory built only for PC.

I wish all the pre-order DLC / DRM stuff could be just briefly ignored so we can glare at how amazing this game actually looks, these developers look to be doing some really interesting things.

15. mrmalodor says:

I can’t hear anything over the sound of almost-always-online DRM.

16. SuperNashwanPower says:

Does anyone know if this will make it to steam, or am I going to have to stick Origin on my lovely computer? I don’t want it, its light grey with orange bits. Dark grey is best.

17. SuicideKing says:

Didn’t know about the Greek prediction computer. Thanks!

And i think i want to play SimCity.

18. phelix says:

Who the hell names their son “Ocean”?

19. arioch says:

I tried to pay attention to the game, but all I could think about was the guys amazing mustache…

20. thekev506 says:

2 things:

1 – Is it me or does the space you have to build a city look a good deal smaller than in the last game?

2 – Who names their child Ocean?

21. Hodge says:

NURSE: Oh shoot! I forgot to write the baby’s name on the clipboard. Do you remember what it is?

MIDWIFE: I’ve forgotten as well! But the father’s still in the next room. I’ll ask him.

NURSE: Thanks.

MIDWIFE (shouting through the door): MR QUIGLEY! WHAT DID YOU CALL YOUR SON?

(unintelligible voice from the next room)

MIDWIFE (shouting through the door): SORRY! I DIDN’T QUITE CATCH THAT?

(more unintelligible chatter)

MIDWIFE (shouting through the door): OH! SEAN.

NURSE: Got it.

22. Radiant says:

OMG WANT

23. fabulousfurrygingerfreakbrothers says:

a) I think he might come from California.

EDIT: now I remember, he reminds me of Professor Denzil Dexter from The Fast Show.

b) What happens if all your neighbours are complete tools (or just like creating a dystopia)?

c) I want this so much (sans always-on DRM, small city area and enforced MP)!

24. Eliijahh says:

I have this feeling that’s gonna be exactly the same as simcity4 with fancy graphic and few little new features. Nothing worth the wait. :(

25. dee says:

That beard.

26. LeBonPainFrancais says:

Ok, with 9000 hour on msPaint, here’s my though about the video.

27. DHP says:

I’m pretty sure I heard unlimited ways to play mentioned. So I can play my offline save, destroy it for fun, then reload? Oh…..why did you lie, oh ocean of beautificent facial hair?

28. SAM-site says:

Good morning, I’ll be the voice in the wilderness in these comments.

While I do not want to be forced to use Origin, would like to be able to restore older versions of my save and would also like to be able to play while unconnected none of these get completely in the way of what looks like a really good game.

This man’s cup is half full.

29. psuedonymous says:

Sim City: the world’s foremost Blues Brothers Car Chase simulator.

We can but hope.

30. Harlander says:

Now the spambots are replying to eachother? Come on

Comment on this story