Christmas Cracker: Battlefield 3: Aftermath On Dec 18th

By Jim Rossignol on November 28th, 2012 at 2:00 pm.

Sigh. Someone get a broom.
Battlefield 3′s next DLC (and possibly final DLC? It’s at least the last announced one I am aware of – Oh, no, there’s also End Game, which has motorcycles, apparently) will arrive just in time for Christmas. The new maps, set in an earthquake-ruined middle-eastern city, look pretty fancy, and they provide a playground for new weapons and a host of modified vehicles. All this underwrites a new game mode. DICE explain that Aftermath “sees the debut of Scavenger mode – an objective based conquest where players must brave the environment armed with only one sidearm, as they try to find more powerful weapons in an attempt to survive with their squad.”

Big fancy Aftermath trailer below, and there’s a bunch more information here.

, , , .

1. Wurstwaffel says:

The final DLC? But what about End Game?

• Salt says:

As the name implies, End Game isn’t actually DLC. It just automatically uninstalls everyone’s BF3 when BF4 is released.

• Gwyddelig says:

You couldn’t put it past those cheeky EA minxes, could you? To be fair though. BFBC2 is still supported and still has a core player base around it despite over a year of BF3-ness.

• MrLebanon says:

I may give BFBC2 a re-look sometime if this is the case… maybe less raging/whiny kids and asshats are there compared to BF3?

• The Random One says:

DLC = Deletable content

2. Mathute87 says:

No, no, no. Final DLC will be End Game. Don’t try to leave me without my motorcycles, Jim!

• Screamer says:

Here here! I absolutely have to be able to shoot someone of one and laugh while the motorcycle carries on past me!

3. Premium User Badge Clavus says:

It’s not the final DLC. There’s another one called “End Game” in the works, which supposedly features motorcycles.

Edit: double ninja’d.

• Premium User Badge PoulWrist says:

Curse those ninjas :( I refreshed to see if they were hiding, and lo they were!

4. Roz says:

Scavenger sounds interesting, should be amazing in a cooperating team.

5. Gwyddelig says:

This actually saw the light of day (or Binary…) yesterday for premium users on PS3 (yeah, yeah; I know…)

Early indications that I’ve seen is that at the third(ish) attempt, DICe have gotten a BF3 DLC right. Which is nice.

• Premium User Badge Joshua says:

Oh, I thought AK and CQ were quite good as well. What do you think was wrong with them?

• Gwyddelig says:

CQ was far too much of a cluster fluff for its own good and I found it very laggy while rush in AK remains pretty much unplayable in Rush mode. If you can find a full 64p server then AK is decent enough in Conquest and Armoured Shield looks gorgeous but it goes too far off the other end of leaving you miles from anywhere. Spend 3 mins walking *die*, *respawn*

6. Laffles says:

Great game journalism there! Couldn’t even google to see if there are any more dlc’s after this one.. lol ;)

7. Scouter says:

What’s up with the “rise of crossbows”? Crisis: To attack these aliens we mus- HOLYASDASFDGSGFDFFDDFDSFDS THERES A BOW!
    AC3: To assassinate this man you must HOLY ASDADFDSDFDF THERES A BOW.
    Black ops 2: Alright men, we need to breach this HOLY ASDASDASD THERES A CROSSBOW(Or maybe this one was in the originals and I didn’t notice).

You get the point.

• Lanfranc says:

To be fair, crossbows are pretty awesome.

• The Random One says:

Speak not the name of Holy Asdasdasd, God of Smashing Thine Keyboard in Anger, in vain, heathen!

• Felixader says:

Well it is THE weapon you can still use as intended after all Resources have been depleted in a apocalyptic – Fill in whatever-. X-P

• MrLebanon says:

because arrows are a readily available resource at all times?

8. JackShandy says:

Huh. So you start with a terrible weapon, and you have to pick up better weapons that are scattered around the map? Could catch on.

9. SominiTheCommenter says:

Somebody on the forums posted this retrospective about B3′s development. So much potential lost.

• Jenga says:

BF3 fall short in many respects for being touted as a sequel to BF2 but I think it’s still a good game, the mistake they made is calling it BF3 – should have called it something else.

Battlefield Operation Metro

anything.

10. Uncompetative says:

The trailer seems to imply that an earthquake aftershock hits mid match, a bit like the Russian rocket taking off in Black Ops…

11. Jad says:

I sincerely hope we’re not so far removed from Doom and Quake and UT and, well, the base bedrock of FPS design that there’s somebody out there that thinks that this is some kind of innovation.

Of course I’m one of those people who think that XP-based weapon unlocks in a FPS is an aberration, so I guess I shouldn’t be talking on an EA “more unlocks than ever!” BF3 thread.

• Taidan says:

Pretty much this.

I logged on with the specific intent to gently berate anybody who mentioned this gamemode in conjunction with the words “interesting” or “innovative”. Seeing as you’ve already got there first, I will instead offer steadfast agreement and solidarity with your opinion, and go back to being grumpy about something else.

12. Koozer says:

Can’t work out if that screenshot is fisheye, if it’s just a trick of the scenery, or If I’m going crosseyed.

• Felixader says:

Fish eye it is. I not sure but u i think the far left is a good indicator for that.

• LennyLeonardo says:

Im 90% sure it’s concept art. If the fisheyey variety.

13. ran93r says:

Just starting to get back into BF3, quite excited about this and Scavenger sounds most amusing.

14. Carwash says:

Aftermath is available on 4th December for people with Premium!

15. Borborygme says:

As far as I know, there’s only one new weapon, not many… 3 mistakes in one post?