Dishonored Sold An Awful Lot Of Copies: Franchise Born

By John Walker on November 28th, 2012 at 4:00 pm.

Starting to feel like home?

I wonder what sales projections look like for Bethesda. The splendid news today is that Dishonored has outsold the publisher’s expectations. But when they sell games like Skyrim, what must those expectations be like! Talking to Destructoid, the Mouth Of Bethesda, Pete Hines, was disappointingly cagey about saying exactly how many copies had sold (oh could this industry just GROW UP), but did explain that they were so impressive that Bethesda now have a new franchise on their hands.

Which, yes, means more sequels. Which raises that hoary dilemma: Dishonored was great, more Dishonored would be great, but what could Arkane make if they were free to do something completely original again?

It’s not just doing well, it seems, but completely outdoing their projections. Hines told D-toid, “I can tell you that Dishonored is far exceeding our sales expectations, which is especially cool considering it’s new IP facing a host of well-established franchises this quarter.” Apparently the game just had another great weekend over Thanksgiving – the Steam sale clearly gave it a healthy boost. He finishes, “We clearly have a new franchise.”

So what do you want to see from more Dishonored? It’s clearly a universe with the potential to tell more stories, and obviously much was left unexplained about that stupid devil character MacGuffin. Or do you wish the likes of Smith were turning their imaginations to creating a completely new world

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Brun says:

Hardly surprising.

• Continuity says:

What would be surprising is a decent sequel. I’m calling it right now, the sequel will be more linear and will push content in your face.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

I hope it has more of that fantastic lighting engine though. That has been consistently amazing me (among the games other MANIFOLD STRENGTHS **twiddles moustache**). The textures aren’t by any means hi-res, but the lighting makes everything feel splendidly real and solid.

• MrPants says:

Awww. I had such a great response lined up how that guy’s “mom inlaw” was really making all that cash, but you went and deleted the spam.

• dskzero says:

You’re saying that as if it wasn’t a linear game already.

• thecat17 says:

What is surprising, is that Samuel can fly.

Only while dead, but hey.

2. G_Man says:

How about making a longer game?

• Eddy9000 says:

Nope, still don’t get the game length criticism. Played a ghost/clean hands run through and it took me 30 hours; kept expecting the game to end after each level because I’d heard it was ‘too short’. My main criticism is that the ghost and clean hands achievements are bugged.

• Ultra Superior says:

this !

• Fredrik Sellevold says:

Aye. Better short and sweet than long and stale.
        And Dishonored really wasn’t that short anyway.

• Eddy9000 says:

I wish more developers followed this ethos, I keep hearing about the ‘replayability’ of Skyrim and its ilk; when you have a job a game that takes 200 hours to explore fully does not have any kind of ‘replayabilty’!

• ChiefOfBeef says:

Well don’t be one of those silly people who tries doing everything with one character(I got rather annoyed how even my magic-ey and juggernaut-ey characters get roped almost unavoidably into the Thieves Guild quest line).

• Eddy9000 says:

Every RPG over 30 hours long should have a lore-consistent opportunity to respec at will. That is the end of the matter.

• Ich Will says:

@Eddy9000 – Yup, you select the quit to main menu option, then you select the load option and choose a different character with a different build.

I don’t want my paladin type character to be able to “lore-consistantly re-spec” to a thuggish thief, then to a wise mage then to an unintelligent fighter at will thanks, that’s really stupid and the antithesis of roleplaying. Action games, fine but leave roleplaying alone.

• Eddy9000 says:

Bloody paladin players, always so rigid and traditional.

• welverin says:

That’s what happens when you have a stick up your butt.

• FriendlyFire says:

@Ich Will: I’ll say the same I said about respec in Torchlight 2: I’ve always thought that, especially for singleplayer games, giving players choice is paramount. Want to respec? Go ahead. Don’t want to? Then just freaking don’t. I’ve not seen a compelling argument for restricting choice.

• Marik Bentusi says:

I do agree that the game length was completely fine.

My main gripes was that the world didn’t feel nearly as interesting or alive as the scattered books and some trailers suggested. Especially the characters felt very functional and mechanical, “streamlined” if you will.
        Well that and that the “RPG elements”/gadgets and superpowers made the game too easy to make it enjoyable, wallhack vision being the worst offender. Stealth in general just was very boring for me, with spying through keyholes and leaning around being de facto replaced by wallhack-o-vision and Blink.
        (for the record, I’m usually really not the one to especially look for difficult games/modes, nor am I that much of a Thief enthusiast)

Here’s hoping Dishonored Again and Yet Again will see room for improvement there.

• Cinek says:

Dishonored was challenging in like… first 15 minutes. Then I blinked like crazy around the map.
          When I thought it cannot get any easier – I discovered time-freezing skill. Oh my god… there was no stealth anymore. I just warped through entire maps.
          Then, thinking: MAN, THIS GAME IS EASY! I bought said wallhack… and it was like…. WTF?! What next? God-mode?

It was like… here is an excellent stealth game + cheatcodes. Enjoy.
          >_<

• Continuity says:

Its not really a stealth game, sure you can play it as one very easily but it is in no way narrow enough to be pigeon-holed as a stealth game. You can get from it what you want to a large degree.

• Continuity says:

I’m 43 hours in and still not finished….

Short game my ass. The thing is that Dishonoured gives back what you put into it, if you have an attention span of 0.2s and rush though the main plot by the shortest route you can find, then yeah, maybe short but IMO that would be your own damn fault.

• Iskariot says:

Exactly this. I took approximately 32 hours to play the game. If that is short, than I would like to know what one should call Mafia II or Homefront. Those must be mini games then.

• ninnisinni says:

I don’t know if I’m just slow, but my Steam stats for Dishonored say 52 hours… yeah. But then again I REALLY took my time with it and savoured the goodness.

• Ich Will says:

Woohoo, another 50h plusser! I took over 50 hours too and I couldn’t agree more that the game gives you what you put into it!

• 2lab says:

I walked around the safe house 300 times and it took me ages to complete the game, it’s a choice.

The powers and weapons ecouraged a faster aproach and then the game was quite quick.

• oceanclub says:

I find games are just too long these days. I’m actually playing Dishonored again straight away (this time as murderous weapon-wielder), but didn’t feel it too short. I actually enjoyed finishing a game still thinking it a novelty rather than grinding my way through the last few hours just because i want to see the ending.

P.

• battles_atlas says:

Totally. I’m sick of games I don’t finish. Its partly due to time constraints of being a grown up, but also the attention constraints of being a grown up in an era of grown-up children. And the fact that there are shit loads of other great games waiting for my attention.SR3, LA Noire, Borderlands and XCOM are all games I’ve really enjoyed this year that I’ve never got round to completing. 20-30 hours is fine. I don’t want to have to play 50hrs+ to see the end credits.

• Continuity says:

I see where you’re coming from, myself also being in the grown-up gamer category, but I think this is just a question of variety and choice. So long as we get a rich enough selection of games, of different lengths, then there is no reason to put 15hrs into 4 different 80hr games and then complain that they’re too long… Buy the game that suits your free time budget.
          A great short game for example, assuming you like puzzlers, is Q.U.B.E, at 3 to 3.5hrs its tiny, but polished and enjoyable.

• Edradour says:

Humm well i dont have a problem with playing the same game for 2-4 hours every evening for a month or smth, in fact i actually still prefer very long games ( if they are good ofc )
          And the attention span argument, well what are you doing if you read a book?

• newstarsi says:

I’ve been thinking lately that I have a problem – too many games on the go, too little time to give them all justice. Consequently, the games I’ve enjoyed most recently have been things like FTL, where short sessions and not ‘finishing’ are the norm. Haven’t got anywhere in XCOM or Dishonored, despite my best intentions, never mind my Steam/GoG queue of late.

I hate to sound too optimistic on the internets, but we’ve got a bit of an embarrasment of riches at the moment, no?

I can read any book you throw at me in 4-6 hours, though. :P

• Kein says:

Dishonored was short? Geez dude, where is all this free time from? With my job it took me 2 weeks to finish it. tho, I was aiming at perfect stealth and 0 kills.

• meatshit says:

I finished it in a weekend, which is pretty much the perfect length for me. Any longer and life starts to intrude, meaning I put it aside and either don’t finish it or forget most of what it’s about by the time I get back to it.

• Blaaaaaaag says:

I have a ridiculous amount of free time, and I’m not complaining about Dishonored’s length. I’ve run it a few times, each time taking 15-20 hours, which is just fine. Quality beats quantity in my book anyways, I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of this game. There’s no half-baked filler or quests designed to suck away time at the expense of enjoyment. It’s condensed awesomeness.

Also, if you play through it once haphazardly and aren’t inclined to immediately go back and see how another playstyle works out, then you’d be a very odd person indeed.

• Jason Moyer says:

I thought 30+ hours for one playthrough was plenty.

• Shooop says:

If you stop and look around everywhere it’s much, much longer and much more interesting.

Or you could just go back and do this:

3. kwyjibo says:

Harvey Smith Has Mixed Feelings About Whether There Should Be A Dishonored 2

Don’t worry Harvey, your decision is made.

• Snidesworth says:

I’d personally like to see more of the Isle and the world they exist in, but if the spirit of Dishonored lives on in a sequel I’ll be more than happy. It’ll be interesting to see what they do with the story driven/Daud DLC. A touch more difficult, perhaps? I adored the game, but even on Very Hard it can be quite easy.

4. Runs With Foxes says:

Dishonored: Invisible War

5. Hoaxfish says:

new IP

I really hope the industry gets the hint and starts looking for more new IPs rather than 4th-game-in-a-trilogy we’ve been seeing lately.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

But they don’t take a hint, they get all excited by it and they think they’ve lucked out.
      (paraphrased) “Wow, Dishonored is selling so much, we’re so lucky because it’s new IP and those don’t sell. I wonder what did it?”

• Shuck says:

Given how many new (and decent) IPs fail, they have lucked out.

• Brun says:

What’s more important for them to realize is that it’s not just that it’s new IP – although that’s certainly part of its success, a lot of it is that it’s the *right kind* of new IP. Dishonored was competing primarily with BLOPS2 and AC3, an FPS game and 3rd Person Action game respectively. Dishonored is (nominally) a stealth action game, meaning that it wasn’t directly competing with any other games in the same subgenre.

Conversely there’s nothing inherently wrong with sequels or “franchising” either, as long as they are done the right way. There are plenty of long-running franchises that manage to pump out hit after hit (both critical and financial). A great example is The Legend of Zelda – pretty much every major title (i.e. non-portable) and most of the minor titles have been overwhelming critical and financial successes, despite being a franchise for 25+ years.

• Shuck says:

Every new IP is a significant financial risk, and for every success like this, there are multiple failures. Since the cost of that risk has increased over the years, it’s just not something publishers are able to do very often, unfortunately.

• Hoaxfish says:

I think at least some of that risk is mitigated by the “end of this console cycle”… i.e. the next game in the series will sit on the exact same engine and has basically the same action because the hardware can’t be pushed any further.

Ideally, it’s a good point to take the same engine and respray it as a slightly different game.

Of course, when the next console cycle hits, they can puke up a refresh of their old franchises with spanking new engines, bigger explosions, more QTEs, etc, so this is really a time-limited opportunity… or they could make PC their primary platform (which is clearly the path of madness).

There’s enough talk of how next gen console games are going to cost double+ to develop, and any company that really sticks to AAA blockbuster titles might find themselves broken over a barrel if the game doesn’t sell fifty babillion on opening week.

• Cinek says:

bigger explosions, more QTEs

omg…

• Shuck says:

A lot of AAA game non-sequels are made with existing engines – either a licensed engine like Unreal, or for bigger/older/publisher-owned studios, an internally developed engine that’s been around for a while and pressed into service over and over again. (I’ve only worked on big-ish budget PC games, and never once did we create our own engine; at best we heavily reworked an existing one.) So that’s the cost baseline – for the sequels you’ll sometimes get a new or better optimized (for the particular gameplay) engine, now that it’s a proven franchise and they know they can safely spend some money on it. But those original IPs are still big risks – the costs are still huge in part because most of the cost of a AAA game is marketing.
          The next gen console games are going to be in a tough place – I suspect publishers will try to drive costs down by moving as much development as possible to places like China.

• Gap Gen says:

The whaling thing in Dishonored is a metaphor for the games industry.

• Arithon says:

If only. Most game IP’s are up to 9, some like Need For Speed and FIFA, hitting the 20 mark.

It’s ironic that the success of a new IP gets the response “They loved new IP, so more of the same boys!”

• jrodman says:

PLEASE! for the sake of english and normalcy! Setting. Or series. Or world. Or whatever. Not … Internet Protocol? Istanbul Prostitute? Intellectual Proxy?

6. IshtarGate says:

Hey John, I think Corvo stole your final question mark again.

And then sliced its throat.

With a rusty cleaver.

Again.

7. sockpuppetclock says:

A Dishonered 2 wouldn’t be the worst thing, but calling it a “new franchise” worries me

• Hoaxfish says:

This summer, we’re bringing you the new McHonored burger* and toy**!

*made from real whale
      **may contain spring-loaded razors

• Revisor says:

Agree, both “franchise” and “IP” are horrible words to my ears.

Why don’t we call it… SERIES!
      I’m a non-native English speaker so I’m not sure what it really sounds like but I’d use this word in my mother language as well as in English.

• Hoaxfish says:

No, you’re pretty much right. Normal people call it a series, but business men and marketeers talk about IP and franchises (basically to appeal to shareholders and investors).

Most people will think a franchise is a chain-restaurant like McDonalds or Burger King.

• emertonom says:

As I understand it, “Series” means a sequence of similar games on the same or similar platforms. “Franchise” refers to exploiting the name to create a huge number of tangentially-related games. For example, the Elder Scrolls Series includes Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim; the Elder Scrolls Franchise included a game which was also called “Oblivion” but which ran on the old non-touch-screen Motorola Razor flip-phone. A franchise doesn’t necessarily *have* to include terrible watered-down versions, but it’s the business-speak way of implying it’s not been ruled out. At least that’s how it comes across to me.

On an unrelated note, it wasn’t the steam sale that brought Dishonored to the price where I’d buy it–it was the Gamefly sale, and on Monday also the Newegg sale. They were selling it for ~$25, which is the point at which a game price starts to seem reasonable to me.

8. atticus says:

I agree with the statement concerning the exact amount of sales. Why can’t they tell us this? And why can’t Steam tell us the exact numbers sold through their service?

I would really like to know how games do on the market, other than vague statements like “poor”, “mediocre” and “good”.

9. MuscleHorse says:

I’ve just started playing and you saying that the stupid devil character Outsider thing is evil is a SPOILER! Don’t make me put my hands on my hips.

• John Walker says:

Oh, trust me, I haven’t spoiled anything. I decided he was evil the first time I saw him – I can’t remember if the game ever bothers saying he is or not.

• Terragot says:

I always considered him/it to be an omnipotent diety whom is moralless yet inquisitive. neither good nor evil just ‘because im above it all’.

• ChiefOfBeef says:

Yeah the Outsider is basically Galactus but with insatiable curiosity rather than insatiable hunger- essentially indifferent and above concepts of good and evil.

*Slight spoiler*

The Outsider can in one instance chastise Corvo for a specific act of revenge the player may or may not choose to take. The basis for it though is that the act was predictable, meaning Corvo has suddenly become less interesting to the Outsider, who gave him his powers because he expected the unexpected and what he got was…the expected. The thing is that this happens even if you’ve mixed killing and non-lethal solutions, or gone entirely for one of them up to that point- a selectively vengeful Corvo gets the same response as a wantonly vengeful Corvo.

You are now aware that that sounds like a car. The wantonly vengeful Corvo combines fuel efficiency with better performance that gets you laid by environmentally conscious hippie chicks, as long as you don’t tell them it runs on whale oil.

• Eddy9000 says:

He’s essentially a trickster archetype, like Pan or Anansi

• SuperNashwanPower says:

Just bought the game and totally wasnt getting “Outsider is evil” vibe yet. More “conflicted with black eyes”.

So yeah. Feel free to angrily deflect any guilt, by calling me an oversensitive fanny, that my accusation of spoilerism might engender.

• The Smilingknight says:

dont worry – it matters fuck all for the game anyway.

• Eddy9000 says:

The real twist with the Outsider is when he tells you that he’s your father.

• sabasNL says:

Just after he threw the Lord Regent in the Canals, in that scene where he was dying and he took off his plague mask to see his son with his own eyes? Oh no wait, that’s not in the game…. Sequel idea maybe?

• Eddy9000 says:

Nah, he tells you just before the bit where it turns out Corvo was a ghost all along, assassinates Dumbeldorf (or sends him to Azkaban in the non-lethal route), discovers that ‘whale meat’ is made of people and rides past a crumbled Statue of Liberty on ‘Rosebud’ his sled.

• Lone Gunman says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Lone Gunman says:

I fail at replying :(

• sinister agent says:

Corvo was his sled.

• LennyLeonardo says:

This is wanky, so bear with me: it occurred to me the other day that the Outsider could be read as a metaphor for the relationship between developer and player. The Outsider lives in a nebulous ‘void’ outside of the gameworld, he gives you powers that allow you to mess with reality and with the people around you, he’s totally amoral within the context of Dunwall, and seems to exist simply to make a toy out of the hyper-serious “real” world. It’s almost as though the character is acknowledging that there’s a consciousness behind or beside Corvo’s who just wants to fuck around.

Edit: Who said EngLit degrees are useless? Oh yeah, it was employers… sob.

10. x-jay says:

Nice to see them directly reference the steam sale.

11. Lancezh says:

I’m suprised actually i put the game aside after 3 hours, was bored although the production value was professional to say the least.

• Ultra Superior says:

You should have torrented something else then. You lousy data stealing scumbaggé.

12. mehteh says:

The story and characters were good( its been awhile since ive actually cared about a character’s well-being since the HL2 games), but the powers made the game incredibly easy. I didnt use runes much because i could tell the game was going to get even easier for me. At least they allowed for plenty of options to be disabled to get a proper game without all the assists

• Zenicetus says:

Yeah, once you get good with the powers, it’s a little too easy to combine stealth for setups and killing as finishing moves, or for taking out guard clusters. I think I played it at around 70% stealth and 30% kills, which made it at least a little more challenging.

The environment kept me interested. If I had wanted a harder game, I would have gone for a 100% ghost mode, maybe avoiding some of the easier workarounds like possession. But I don’t have infinite patience for waiting out guard patrol cycles. So I always end up killing someone in games like this, or DeusX/HR.

• SanguineAngel says:

This has been my biggest problem with the title and it is what’s caused me to lay off it a bit. The more powers I get the easier it gets and the easier it gets the less interesting each scenario has become.

• Jahkaivah says:

That is the one thing I don’t think people address when talking about the game’s difficulty is that the runes do provide you with means to a makeshift hard mode. Just simply not seek them out and the result is a much harder game. Granted you’ll miss out on most of the optional content if you do that.

• eclipse mattaru says:

The game is ridiculously easy with just the knife and blink already, so that’s not a solution. And you said it yourself, you’d be missing half the exploration part, which wouldn’t work well for an already quite short game.

Dishonored is poorly balanced, and that’s about that. And there’s no excuse for it. Balancing the game should be a responsibility of the developers. If the player has to do it on their end (and by crippling themselves and/or missing parts of the experience, no less) then there’s no sense of accomplishment to be had. Take a look at Dark Souls for an example of the diametrically opposite way to go (as in “the proper way”).

• Jahkaivah says:

Obviously it isn’t ideal, and I’m not saying you should play that way on your first playthrough, but I’ve played enough games which manage to be condescendingly easy even when you do intentionally cripple yourself to appreciate that this game does pose additional challenges via a way which doesn’t quite involve not using the power you have at hand as much as not getting them at all.

It’s something that may be relevant if you plan on speedrunning the game for example.

• Trithne says:

I wasn’t aware difficulty was a metric of a game’s quality now.

Dishonoured is a world. That, unlike those in many games, exists for a reason OTHER than exclusively to ‘challenge’ you. Most games are difficult purely because they throw absurd difficulty walls in your way: far more enemies than makes logical sense, in-combat gotcha’s, etc. Dishonoured is more concerned with you experiencing a story than feeling challenged. If you want to feel challenged, go play Dark Souls.

• eclipse mattaru says:

No one is saying there’s a correlation between difficulty and quality here (most certainly not me). It would seem that you’re blinking to conclusions (ba-BING!).

Dishonored is not bad, by any means, but it is too easy, because it’s not well balanced. Period. Dishonored might be a beautiful world wanting nothing more than to cuddle your heart into awesome with all its pretties and whatever you want, but it’s also a game –and an action game at that. It throws a bunch of enemies at you, and it gives you a set of tools to deal with them. And it’s so poorly balanced that when you use those tools, it feels like you’re cheating. And there’s no excuse for that.

As for your advice; why thanks, very nice of you. If you actually bother to read what I just said, you’ll see that, in fact, that’s exactly what I’m doing right now. And again, funnily enough, I brought up that very game as a great example of how a developer should balance their game.

13. Kem0sabe says:

To be honest, the game seemed amazing in concept and the first few hours were fun, but then it became such a boring, formulaic and uninspired experience that i couldn´t bring myself to finish it.

• TimMc says:

Agreed. Its a nice style and premise, but its a terrible stealth game. Boring and forumalic. Very little challenge on highest difficulty. AI are terrible. Non-lethal is particularly boring.

• f_zul says:

what are u talking bout? it was all brilliant and tasty to the end.

14. Orija says:

“…which is especially cool… ”

PR guys should stick to spouting obtuse jargon.

15. Spoon Of Doom says:

I keep hearing good things about Dishonored. I’ve got it at home, played it for two or three hours and haven’t touched it a single time since then. I can’t even put my finger on exactly what it is, but something is putting me off of playing it and instead playing other games, while Dishonored queues itself into my ever growing backlog of games.
    It’s not even that I think the game is bad, but for some reason it fails to grab or interest me. Maybe I’ll just force myself to play it a bit more when I have a couple of days off, and maybe it’ll warm up to me then.

• Brun says:

I’ve kind of had the same feeling. I think Dishonored would have been much more interesting as a Sandbox game, or with a mission format that more closely resembled that of DXHR rather than Half-Life 2.

• x-jay says:

I was the exact opposite, I played it through in maybe 3 sittings. But I like a good stealther. It really felt like a Half Life 2, Thief and Fable three way love child.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

I think the problem with Dishonored is that they give you these objectives to complete the map, and if you approach the game with these objectives as goals (like if you’re playing the game the way it tells you to play it) you won’t actually experience the game.

There is a lot of good stuff in Dishonored, but part of the game’s design seems to tell you to rush by it all and really it’s trivial stuff. More sandbox stuff would have certainly helped. Objectives are great, but not map completing objectives… these “finish” objectives help to make the other stuff in the levels seem trivial.

• Snidesworth says:

They really should have had objective markers default to off, at least on Normal difficulty and above. There’s exactly two times in the game where I needed them (finding an NPC during one visit back at the Hound Pits and finding a “safe place” on the first proper mission), issues that hopefully wouldn’t cropped up if the game had been designed with the assumption that most people wouldn’t use markers. Having them on robs the player of any sense of discovery they might have gained from locating things themselves.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

Exactly. It’s nice to have an option to turn the objective markers off, but there are moments where you can tell the game was designed with an assumption that players would have the markers on.

• Naum says:

To be fair, though, these moments are very rare and felt more like a minor carelessness to me than a systematic design error. Compared to most contemporary games, that’s a step in the right direction.

• Sugoi says:

The deal with the “safe place” was easily my biggest issue with the entire game, and honesty the only thing in it that felt really unnatural with objectives turned off.

You know it’s a great game when that’s the worst thing you can say about it. :)

• WrenBoy says:

The worst part of the “safe place” bug was that up until that point the game had taught me that it was possible to figure things out fair and square. I spent some time lugging the guy around the level looking for the most secure location to dump a body.

When putting him in a bin and closing the lid didn’t work I gave up, turned on the markers and found that there was something magically safer about the neighbouring bin.

• Eddy9000 says:

Funnily I love my first (stealth) runthrough, but despite the real offer of playing through again in a totally different way and getting to use all the weapons I didn’t before I haven’t really been tempting. I think it’s because the real draw is seeing the magnificent world that it’s set in rather than the mechanics, and although I can’t compare because I haven’t done a combat playthrough the levels feels designed around stealth and blinking, the bit of combat I tried felt a bit meh.

• darkChozo says:

I’m in roughly the same spot; I’m assuming I’m like halfway through the story (there was a *gasp* plot twist!), but I’m having trouble keeping on playing. I think it might be because I’m doing a mostly nonlethal playthrough, and your tools in nonlethal are so limited. Choking everyone I meet gets boring after a while, and while I like that nonlethal is actually more difficult than lethal, the lack of variety is a turn off after a while. I keep looking at my items and lamenting the fact that I just don’t get to use them at all.

• Morph says:

I never managed more than 3 hours play of it either. I just couldn’t get over the feeling that it was like Thief but in an incredibly bland world. In fact I then stopped playing and played the Metal Age for a few hours more than I’d spent on Dishonoured.

16. TheTingler says:

I was quite happy with Dishonored, as I played it like Thief and so got 20+ hours out of it (and will shortly play it again). I am both quite happy to play another character (since Corvo never spoke I’m not attached to him) and another location in the same world.

I would also like a bit more supernatural stuff. Not overwhelmingly, but maybe Thief II-style (a few ghosts, zombies, and Cybermen/Servants), or just one level set in a terrifying haunted house a la Thief: Deadly Shadows. One level devoted to an enemy you can’t defeat and had to avoid would be superb.

• Snidesworth says:

Seconding this. The only enemies in the game I ever felt remotely threatened (besides one particular individual) by were the Tall Boys. They were perceptive, elevated well above street level, heavily armoured and hit like a truck. Whether you were sneaking or butchering your way through the game they stood out as dangerous foes and, crucially, dealing with them was never a tedious slog like it is with “super” enemies from some other games.

• Zenicetus says:

The game could use more variety in enemy types, I agree. Maybe not more “boss level” types like Tall Boys, but just more variety in general.

It got boring seeing the scenery populated by the same guards everywhere. There were a few civilians (and infected) here and there, but not enough to balance the overwhelming presence of guards everywhere. It felt more like infiltrating a military base than a city, even one under martial law. The Assassin level was a nice relief from that, but then it was back to generic guards everywhere.

Instead of going more supernatural with ghosts though, I’d like to see more steam-punky stuff, like robots or other mechanical contraptions that would fit into the game world. If there have to be that many guards in the game, at least introduce some different factions so they don’t look the same in every level.

• Snidesworth says:

They could have done a lot more with the Overseers. The ones with the music boxes were a nice touch but all too easily dealt with by your non-supernatural tools. Perhaps a High Chaos approach should have led to them hastily putting together a squad equipped to combat a well equipped, supernatural killer. Not good enough to handle you one on one, but enough to make accompanying packs of guards a legitimate threat.

• Zenicetus says:

I agree the Overseers with “music boxes” were a missed opportunity. The idea was great — an enemy that negated some of your powers, since Corvo can easily become overpowered in the course of the game. But they were way too easy to take out. Maybe they can be developed more in a sequel.

17. Sparkasaurusmex says:

“which is especially cool considering it’s new IP facing a host of well-established franchises this quarter.”

These industry suits are so clueless! Perhaps the fact that it’s a new IP facing well-established (read: done-to-death) franchises is why it’s selling so well.

Since this probably means they’ll (Beth) ruin future Dishonoreds by giving it to new and cheaper talent, the bright side might be that other publishers will be more willing to experiment with new IPs and slower types of games.

• AndrewC says:

Sales figures, on the whole, disagree with you, sadly.

Fortunately, I completely agree with you about the news here being that stupid face smelly publishers will now dust off all the slow paced player-choice driven game designs they’ve been ignoring for the past decade, so I hope that provides you with some comfort. :)

Hey, in five years, maybe we’ll all be going, ‘oh god not another bloody stealthy infiltration thingy game, am I the only one who doesn’t want to talk to the monsters?!?’

• Hoaxfish says:

combined with the move to “social” gaming, the monsters will probably tweet at you too.

18. dontnormally says:

I want to captain a whale-powered naval vessel.

19. Rictor says:

This is good news, despite what skeptics might think. I don’t think it at was at all guaranteed that Dishonored would sell well, much less “better than expectations” since that is an incredibly vague metric to be judged against. If Bethesda has now decided to greenlight more Dishonored games, I for one am rejoicing!

Knowing Arkane, and the craftsmanship that they put into the first game, why does anyone think that sequels would be worse? Or that they would be quick cash-ins with no progression in the mechanics/plot? Look at Batman Arkham Asylum and Arkham City. The sequel expanded everything that was great about the first game, added new mechanics and polished everything to a shine. I think we can reasonably expect Arkane to do the same.

20. SocraticIrony says:

New IP sells exceedingly well.

Am I the only one who considered that the message might be people like new IP?

Saying that I’d sell my Grandmother for another XCOM.

21. Rao Dao Zao says:

“Look, new IPs are doing really well!”
    “Augh! Quickly, milk them into franchises.”

Self-defeating?

22. povu says:

Dishonored is a kind of first person immersive sim/stealth game that is very rare these days, so I’d love to see Arkane continue making games like that. To me it sounds easier to build upon an existing franchise and world, both for creating it and marketing it to the public, so a sequel makes sense. Bring on Dishonored 2: The Dishonoring.

23. ancillary says:

I hope this isn’t taken as heresy on par with the Elder Scrolls MMO, but I liked the setting more than the actual game. It’d be cool if they switch up genres, maybe something like Sid Meier’s Pirates! where you commandeer whaling ships, run blockades for the Morley rebels, or go to Pandyssia.

24. webwielder says:

Have whoever wrote the Thief games write Dishonored 2. Get better voice talent, like, say, the voice actors in Thief. There, now you have a perfect game.

• Snidesworth says:

I get the feeling that direction was more of a problem than the voice actors. Many of the iffy lines were down to their delivery lacking the required emotion (Pendleton after the second mission stands out as an example). The relatively subtle facial expressions didn’t help either. I suspect a more restrained delivery was a conscious decision on Arkane’s part, perhaps in reaction to the campness of Dark Messiah, but they just ended up with characters who come across as a bit flat to many players.

• ResonanceCascade says:

Terri Brosius, who was one of the primary Thief writers, wrote Dishonored. Or rather, she was a part of the writing team, along with Austin Grossman who wrote System Shock. I suspect Ken Levine is otherwise occupied, so that’s probably the best we’re going to get.

Anyway, I’ve always gotten the impression that the writing in Dishonored wasn’t bad due to a lack of talent, but because the story didn’t really come together until very late in development and ended up being rushed.

• webwielder says:

Wow, that’s shocking that the writers from Thief and System Shock wrote Dishonored. It wasn’t just the crappy story, there was no wit, no spark, no delicate turns of phrase. Just bland lines read by bland people. The inclusion of “choffer” as a surrogate for “taffer” just made things worse. I guess those folks just don’t “have it” anymore.

• Trithne says:

Or maybe you just didn’t like it. The voice acting was pretty average, but the writing itself was okay, sometimes it hit and sometimes it missed. Which, strangely enough, is exactly how it was in Thief and System Shock.

That said, has voice acting been getting worse as time passes, or is it just me?

25. rei says:

I’m glad to hear it sold well; was a bit worried because I never saw it on top of the Steam charts. I’ve yet to buy it (saving it for Christmas!) but from everything I’ve seen I definitely want to see more of the world.

26. The Smilingknight says:

here is my suggestion.

1. Needs more streamlining.

2. Not enough QTEs. That must be improved.

3. too many different skills – confusing. reduce the number of skills.

4. Its impossible to get both non-lethal and lethal content at the same time. make both possible at once.

5. The main character isnt a saviour of human race and planet Earth from the big bad evil.
    – Outsider is obviously EVIL so make him the main villain in the next game and allow the players TO KILL HIM. Preferably by throwing him into the fire where he would burn and then explode.

6. More guns.

7. More ammo.

8. Fire everyone in the studio, take over the IP and hire a completely new studio to do the sequel.

9. bullshit everyone the sequel will HONOUR the original.

10. invest more in marketing.

11. more guns.

12. too many different paths through each area. (which are boring) reduce only to the AWESOME.

13. Machineguns.

27. enderwiggum says:

I agree with a lot of the sentiment here… It was a cool _looking_ game, and very polished, but I got a little bored. The “moral measurements” were a little lame. In many cases the enemies _clearly_ deserved what they got, but the game essentially docks you for doling out justice.

The options available for non-lethal attack were severely limited… Why doesn’t Corvo have a knife or cudgel?

Otherwise, the full-time first person view isn’t really conducive to stealth, as many Splinter Cell players know. I’d love a game like this where I could dynamically switch between First and Third person as necessary.

• Snidesworth says:

I suspect the reason you don’t get a cudgel is to make non-lethal options a trade off between efficiency and not being a killer. Assassinating someone is lighting fast while choking them out lasts well over a second. Even with the right bone charm equipped knocking someone out is still more of a risk than just stabbing them. Of course, that implies that the game considers it better to take the non-lethal route, which is something it’s confused about.

On the one hand it goes to great lengths to make loads of different playstyles viable, everything from ghosting entire levels to kicking down the door and murdering everyone in a flurry of explosions, blades and magic, and the Chaos system adjusts the game to compliment your chosen style. Like to kill dudes? High Chaos spawns more dudes for you to butcher. Playing an invisible infiltrator? Your targets won’t be on high alert by default and neither will their men.

The trouble comes from the narrative side of things. The Chaos system is supposedly there to let you dictate the tone of the game; Dunwall is a less horrible place if you play Corvo as a less horrible person than he could be, the setting adapting to fit the protagonist. Unfortunately the High Chaos conclusion comes across as a Bad End, both due to how it’s described in that one loading screen tip and because of the potential for things to go Very Wrong Indeed during its final moments. The game is also very simplistic about how it tracks Chaos, it being entirely down to how many people you kill. Some of the non-lethal ways of removing assassination targets can be considered as a fate worse than death (Lady Boyle’s one being particularly unsettling), yet they contribute to Dunwall being a brighter, less troubled setting. That killing Weepers also increases Chaos is problematic as well, since they’re both ostensibly doomed to a prolonged and painful death at the hands of a plague to which there is no cure and will attack and kill healthy people without provocation. What would be the darker path; to kill them or let them continue to suffer and spread disease? There’s an argument that rising Chaos is meant to be a direct consequence of your actions (more murders = more panic, more bodies = more rats, etc) but the behavior of several characters are altered as Chaos changes in a way that has nothing to do with your actions having consequences. The plagued Overseer conversation you can spy on in the first mission is a good example of this.

The Chaos system is a nice idea, but it was handled too simplistically and it doesn’t quite know if it wants to be a morality meter or a way for the player to define the tone of the game they play.

• Syra says:

Still don’t get this lady boyle fate worse than death thing, a couple reviews went on about – they are clearly lovers… on a low chaos play through you find notes in his writing in her bedroom and he has left her his key to the tower to join him. Maybe we just interpret it differently.

• Snidesworth says:

Her lover is the Lord Regent. The man you hand her over to as the non-lethal option of removing her from the picture can be most generously described as a very dedicated admirer.

• Brun says:

To me the dialogue and notes suggested that “the gentleman” and Lady Boyle had previously been lovers. She’s obviously a bit of a skank so it’s hardly surprising that she had lovers before the Lord Regent. Even if they hadn’t had a previous relationship, “the gentleman” didn’t strike me as the kind of person who would hold her against her will. As..unusual…as it was, his affection for her appeared genuine.

• Snidesworth says:

Perhaps it depends on which Lady Boyle you get as your target? The game picks one of the three for each playthrough and only one of them is promiscuous.

• Brun says:

Ah, well on my one playthrough I got the skanky one. Thus her fate didn’t seem particularly bad, given that her journal explicitly states that she planned on taking the first man to ask for it back to her bedroom.

• Brun says:

I don’t really get it either. As you say they were clearly lovers *at some point* even if they aren’t at the time of the party. Lady Boyle’s fate amounts to little more than exile as nothing would stop her from leaving the guy once they escape Dunwall. In that sense she gets off *much* easier than some of the other targets do when Corvo is playing nonlethal – the High Overseer and Lord Regent fare much worse after nonlethal encounters with the player.

• LennyLeonardo says:

The guy doesn’t seem to mind that you dump her unconscious body in his basement escape-boat for him. He’s a mega-creep.

• Eddy9000 says:

People like you ruined Thief 3.

28. De_willy says:

Got a silent playthrough after 11 hours which is pretty short imho. Hitman absolution took me 24 hours without playing contracts.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

The way you play must have a massive effect on how long it takes. I am only just starting the first brothel mission, and I have been playing for 15 hours. I am exploring everywhere and experimenting, revisiting and so on. I have all the objective markers off. I am a bit of a loot completionist (read: obsessive). If there are 9 missions, then my maths tells me I will get about 70 hours out of it. That sounds pretty good to me, similar to STALKER CoP, so I am happy.

29. Yosharian says:

Game is an above-average one in a sea of mediocre shit. Idea of ‘new franchise’ is repulsive.

30. ResonanceCascade says:

I really hope Bethesda puts together a B team to milk Dishonored and lets Arkane move on to something new. That seems like the best of both worlds to me.

31. Freud says:

I think they should focus more on narrative, big explosions and less freedom. Perhaps have a buddy system.

The name of the sequel obviously should be DISHONO2ED

32. Syra says:

I love that the potential for a canon sequel is most present in the most evil possible play through! Spoilers – its the only one (having seen 3 endings) where corvo walks away at the end, still in action baby.

33. Jraptor59 says:

How about…a PC version with good graphics, instead of a poor console port. It is OK, but they still use 7 year old console graphics. The PC is way, way, way, beyond that.

• Unaco says:

I would have thought/hoped that perhaps PC Gamers were beyond the need for needlessly shiny graphics and doodads like that. Dishonored looks great for me… shows that good style, design, and aesthetics, can overcome the need for graphics ‘power’. A game doesn’t need the latest, greatest cutting edge graphics to look good.

• Soulstrider says:

Indeed, it was a pretty looking game. Dunno why people are so obsessed with graphics, it’s literally the last thing I care about in a game.

• Eddy9000 says:

Agreed, in fact the one thing I like about console crossover is that I can still play new games on my Radeon 5770.

34. wiper says:

All I can hope for is a game as true to its franchise as the wonderful Hitman: Absolution.

So, y’know, a sequel which is like Dishonored, only the levels have been turned into corridors, there’re plenty of cinematics and scripted set-pieces to race through, and you’re suddenly forced to play the game using only one approach.

35. Drinking with Skeletons says:

At the risk of getting into console comparisons, I wish that more publishers had Sony’s approach to franchises. They have a whole bunch of studios working on a whole bunch of properties, but they seem pretty cool about letting them do things as they want.

For instance, Sucker Punch made three Sly Cooper games which told pretty decent stories and were wrapped up nicely with enough leeway at the end of each that a sequel could be made, if desired, then went and made two InFamous games telling one continuous story (basically) which ended on a decidedly not sequel-friendly note. I don’t know what will happen with InFamous, but after several years Sony has given a new studio the chance to do a Sly 4.

Similarly, Sony gave Naughty Dog the leeway to make Uncharted, which, while having gone on to huge success, is in some ways a very odd franchise that emphasizes color, plot, and self-contained stories over the gray, grim, and numbingly “epic” franchises of competitors. Naughty Dog are now being allowed to try their hand at some kind of apocalypse survival thing.

I guess the point is that Bethesda should see the value in letting their subsidiaries cultivate a variety of titles–each of which could be, if appropriate and desired, a franchise–so that they can rotate through things to keep interest in each property high while keeping their own enthusiasm (and by extension, the game’s quality) intact. Their output since Morrowind–Elder Scrolls, Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Farmed-Out Fallout, Elder Scrolls–suggests they may have some inclination towards this. Here’s hoping.

Also, please note that I’m not trying to start a conversation about the quality of any of the titles I’ve mentioned.

• ResonanceCascade says:

It’s interesting that you mention the Uncharted series. Uncharted 2 is a shining example of how to innovate with a sequel rather than just milking what worked before, while Uncharted 3 is essentially just Uncharted 2 again with some minor refinements.

Just goes to show that “franchises” merely need to be handled correctly. I don’t think the world world would be a better place without games like Thief 2 or Ultima VII, yet everyone around here is up in arms over a Dishonored sequel. It’s fucking silly.

36. Subjective Effect says:

Well, how about giving the main character a voice and giving us a harder more streamlined sequel?

37. felisc says:

I’d be ok for a second game but oh, my oh please have more lines than “should we gather for whisky and cigars tonight ? indeed i believe so.” The guards just can’t shut up with that ! Arkane, let them have those bloody drinks and smokes.

38. pilouuuu says:

People are bored of well-establish franchises that show no innovation at all. Thankfully this should show developers that new ideas, innovative gameplay (even if it mixes ideas from the past and makes something new) and new franchises can be successful, as long as they’re good.

I hope Bethesda continues making Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Dishonored games, as long as they put some refreshing ideas and innovation in them.

And hopefully a new Dishonored will be more in the line of Bioshock Infinite and not Bioshock 2. i.e.: a new game, with new characters, in the same universe or following the same ideas and style.

39. Lev Astov says:

I want a Dishonored universe whaling ship simulator.

40. Hodge says:

Well, smoke my jellied eels.

41. SuperNashwanPower says:

OK so I am only at the first Brothel mission. I have all the objective markers off, hint highlight off. I am just trying to find stuff for myself, and as a result am finding that I feel really immersed in the world. I am a compulsive loot grabber, so I love finding all the hidden corners. So far I am not very good at combat, because I am mainly using stealth.

What would I like to see in a sequel?

1. Even bigger levels / maps, although I do like the focus of the current ones.
    2. More NPC’s to interact with.
    3. More complexity to objects – at the moment everything I pick up is either converted into money, is for killing / healing, or is a macguffin. A bit more depth a la Dark Souls on the “stuff you find” front would be good.
    4. Dialogue trees? Do I want dialogue trees? I am not sure. The NPC’s seem a little shallow so far.
    5. Let me go ANYWHERE. Don’t put up an un-blinkable gutter on that roof. I know I can get to it.
    6. Let me go anywhere, anytime. I seem to have to wait for missions to unlock before I can go and check stuff out.

I suppose thats all RPG’ey, open worldey stuff. I like that stuff.

• DiamondDog says:

Well I guess it’s just purely personal taste but I’d have to say no thanks to all of that. I like having levels. Contained areas to explore that the designers have clearly put a lot of thought into. Sure, I wouldn’t complain if they opened them up a bit more in the next one, but I don’t want open world.

Not everything has to have loot and XP and dialogue trees and huge worlds to roam about. There’s something to be said for a lovingly crafted level.

I want a bit of a crowbar separation between this and Skyrim, or even Far Cry. If one more bloody game adds hunting as a mechanic I might just scream.

• Bart Stewart says:

I like that stuff, too. It’s the Looking Glass model of FPS-RPG games that Arkane was basically founded to create more of.

Dishonored 2 could be moved in that direction. One of the points I’ve seen made about Dishonored is that its world is much less reactive than that of even the first Thief. Other than removing whale oil cells to power down some devices, there’s nothing like Thief’s “floor material modifies noisiness” or “dousing torches modifies visibility” mechanics.

That’s understandable; having those features would have made Dishonored much more of a stealth game than the balanced action-stealth game intended. But it does mean the world itself feels curiously static, like a stylized painting that you’re just moving through loudly or quietly. If the action-stealth blend is a core design element of Dishonored, how far could Arkane push a more dynamic world before it stops feeling like a Dishonored game?

Personally, I favor a variation on a previous suggestion: let another studio or in-house team make Dishonored 2, and have Bethesda use its swimming pools filled with doubloons to fully acquire the rights to the System Shock license from that insurance company.

That’s not exactly “creating new IP,” admittedly. And I’d hope it wouldn’t be consolized too much. But look at the System Shock talent already on hand; consider that Arkane are exactly the right people to make a game with the System Shock vibe; and remember that Fallout 3, while maybe not what some fans of Interplay’s Fallout and Fallout 2 wanted, was still an exceptionally enjoyable resuscitation of a gameworld someone else created.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

Sounds like a good idea. So many people love that game, so why not do something differently different, Messrs Bethesda? (eg not different, because its old, but different because its been long enough that it would make a change from the things that are not different. If you get my drift)

Question – how does a man with a Windows 7 computing device go about playing System Shock 1, without consorting with back street dubious types and their morally ambiguous ‘torrents’?

42. Carra says:

I bought it this weekend. Not from Steam at €25 though but from the bargain bucket at €15 for a steam key through gamefly.

At that price, I couldn’t resist it :)

43. Brise Bonbons says:

I was going to make a snarky comment about how “exciting” another big franchise is, but I guess Dishonored is a good candidate. It doesn’t really live and die on innovation, so getting “the same old sneakin’ and stabbin’, but in new levels” in a couple years wouldn’t hurt. That’s giving them the benefit of the doubt and assuming they’ll make substantially new levels, though…

I just hope they can avoid the concept drift & dilution that we see in franchises like AssCreed. I can imagine it now:

“We’re super excited to show the new resource collection minigame added in Dishonored 3! Ply unemployed men with alcohol in dockside pubs! Get them drunk enough to think signing on with your private fleet of whaling ships is a sane idea! Dispatch ships (through an amazing interactive menu system!) and gather oil to fuel the freedom fighters – and unlock AWESOME new spells and equipment!”

I think I’m jaded.

• lordfrikk says:

I can’t imagine Arkane doing something like that. They’re bound by what the publisher orders them to do but I think they might prefer not to do the game at all instead of ruining it just for the dough. Pure conjecture on my part, of course, but they strike me as that type of guys from what I’ve seen of them in the interviews.

• Jahkaivah says:

Less cynically, a Dishonored multiplayer mode using the gameplay mechanics of The Ship complete with city rooftop running would be marvelous.

Or heck, on the note of multiplayer modes based on Half Life mods, how about a version of The Hidden where the one player who is up against everyone else has blink and possession instead of invisibility?

44. MistyMike says:

Franchise shmancise. McDonald’s or Statoil are franchises. These guys don’t even know what the word means.

Why can’t a dev studio just build their identity around their brand and auteurship, instead of game series (which often get handed to different studios anyway). Develop diverse titles connected with their logo and general design philosophies, instead of iterations of the same title. Like Platinum games (makers of Madworld, Bayonetta and Vanquish) do in console world.

• Thiefsie says:

I would lump thatgamecompany in there for a company doing the right thing… flOw, Flower and Journey… Interestingly also on console… (limited consoles for that matter!) and especially well known for it…

45. Jimbo says:

A number we don’t know is higher than another number we don’t know! YESSSS!

46. PenGunn says:

I’m not sure I understand. I have been following it on the Steam Stats page and although today it’s at about 20 in the number of players playing it, it has been as low as 50 recently. Skyrim lives in the top ten even today.

It is played a bit less than Fallout NV and that’s old. I understand Steam is just part of the player base but it’s a big part, or so I thought.

• lordfrikk says:

Number of people playing does not reflect number of copies sold. Skyrim has definitely more replayability than Dishonored and it sold a bunch of copies as well so it’s only natural it will be higher on the ladder.

47. lordfrikk says:

If they improve on the concept, then I won’t complain but I basically just want more of the same! I loved Dishonoured to bits so this is amazing news.

48. eclipse mattaru says:

What I’d like from a sequel is a decent difficulty level. By the time I was halfway into the game I was deliberately crippling myself (not upgrading weapons or powers, not using almost anything in my inventory, not taking advantage of half the opportunities the environment gave me) just so I could get something resembling a challenge. Giving me a myriad of gadgets and fancy powers doesn’t make much sense if you don’t give me a reason to use them; and just with the knife and Blink it almost feels like cheating, let alone freezing time and all that jazz.

Don’t get me wrong, I do like Dishonored quite a bit, the art style is absolutely gorgeous and it has a lot of great ideas inside; but I get bored pretty quickly with games that feel like an overly long tutorial, and that’s what this felt like overall: A bunch of beginner-level test trials barely connected by a flimsy plot.

Of course, it probably didn’t work well for poor Dishonored that our time together was sandwiched in the middle of a much longer, larger, absorbing and interesting Dark Souls playthrough.

49. ParadoxEternal says:

I’d rather them create something else new and original. While I would like to see the universe expanded, I want to see what else they imagine without any creative limits. It’s ultimately up to them (or Bethesda) though.

50. horsemedic says:

“Exceeds expectations” but they won’t tell you how many units sold, or even what their expectations were? This is a meaningless and unverifiable statement that should make any journalist instantly skeptical. Ask your brother-in-law with the twitchy eye how his Reiki massage business is going and he’ll tell you its exceeding his expectation (twitch twitch).

Better still, ask Bethesda why they’re happy to release sales figures for Skyrim but not Dishonored.