Primal Fears Looks Like Alien Swarm, Which Is Good

By John Walker on November 28th, 2012 at 7:00 pm.

Ooh, I’ve been wanting a new top-down alien shooter for a while. I really cannot believe it’s over two years since Valve released Alien Swarm, and there’s another game just like it that I loved, and absolutely cannot remember the name of. (Not Alien Shooter – anyone who can name it for me wins an imaginary prize.) Fortunately, just announced today is Primal Fears, which looks to be sticking very firmly to the formula. Its first trailer is below.

It looks good, but I think its claims that it “harkens to the depths of the human psyche” might prove a little exaggerated. The trailer says it’s, er, soon coming to Steam, but I can’t find any proper release date anywhere. However, you can sign up to the beta here.

, , .

1. Grey Ganado says:

Doesn’t everything that a human percieves harken to the depths of the human psyche?

2. Hodge says:

Shadowgrounds Survivor?

3. ColOfNature says:

Shadowgrounds? Alien Breed?

edit: Ninjed!

4. One Pigeon says:

I enjoy running backwards and shooting, this game seems to have an ample supply of both. Yipee!

5. SconicX says:

Alien Breed?

6. Tusque D'Ivoire says:

It must have been Zombie Shooter then! (was probably shadowgrounds)

Imaginary prizes are the currency of the internet!

7. vatara says:

Crimsonland was always a favorite of mine.

• Lucretious says:

Yes! I remember years and years ago not having a credit card, so I would just play the free trial over and over.

8. mehteh says:

Alien Swarm was so damn good. Its a shame Valve treated it as an experiment. I played that game for nearly 100 hours. Alien Breed was terrible in comparison. I especially hated the rotatable camera.

• lordfrikk says:

It truly is a great game. What a shame that Valve doesn’t support it as much as they do with other products.

• Caiman says:

Alien Breed was great once you started to pick up the better weapons. Really what I found annoying about Alien Breed was the constant running to and fro of the objectives, fixing bits and pieces of the ship one after the other, it really turned you into a technician not a soldier. But in small doses it was good stuff.

9. Pockets says:

… am I the only person who preferred the original Alien Swarm? I can’t say why, but the Source version never quite clicked with me the way the original UT2004 mod did.

10. Zyrxil says:

You know what I want to see? A horror game where the player can trip. It’s such a simple concept, though I’m sure it’s a complete bitch to program.

If you can trip, you can’t always run as fast as possible. Backpedaling at high speeds while shooting? Right out. Moving fast in darkness without attention-attracting light? Impossible.

• JB says:

That would be pretty cool. I’m excited enough about the infantry physics upcoming in A New Zero, but in a horror game that could be even better.

*trips over a tree root and gets eaten*

• Bigmouth Strikes Again says:

Having to go to the toilet undetected would revitalize the genre. Or any genre, for that matter.

11. Keyrock says:

It’s already been stated, but the title you’re looking for is likely Shadowgrouds or Shadowgrouds Survivor

12. Benkyo says:

Lots of people saying Shadowgrounds, ignoring the fact that it was rubbish and not a patch on Alien Swarm. Chunky, slow aliens that got stuck behind scenery, no pace, no tension…

13. darkmouse20001 says:

Just out of interest, Shadowgrounds, and Shadowgrounds survivor are on offer here for 99p and £1.75 respectively – if you’ve never played them, Shadowgrounds is awesome for a measly quid! https://www.gameolith.com/offer/frozenbyte-collection/

14. f4stjack says:

I still long for a game like Crimsonland. Simple in execution, tongue in cheek perks & feats, tons of guns…

15. Kaen says:

All i could think of whilst watching the trailer was “Nation Red with nicer visuals”