Whirr-Click: Primordia Demo, Release Date

By Jim Rossignol on November 28th, 2012 at 9:00 am.

Robots looking at stuff.
Wadjeteye and Wormwood Studios have a new adventure coming out on December 5th. It’s called Primordia, and you can play a demo of it right here. They explain: “Set in a post-apocalyptic world strewn with cast-off machines, Primordia tells the story of Horatio Nullbuilt, a stoic robot who values his solitude and independence. Horatio spends his days studying the Book of Man, sparring with his droid companion Crispin, and tinkering with the airship they call home — a peaceful existence that becomes threatened when a rogue robot steals the energy source that the pair needs to survive.” The art style is just lovely, as you can see in the video which I have placed oh so cleverly beneath the cut.

Sigh. I wish I was a robot with a quest in a post-apocalyptic world.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Vartarok says:

We could call it Mature Machinarium.

Also, animations could be better. Still lovely, though.

2. salejemaster says:

played the demo last night, it’s a really cool game.

3. baby snot says:

Was thinking about this today. Looks great. Just wish AGS could handle widescreen resolutions. Is this in 4:3?

4. Ich Will says:

Dear Wadjeteye and Wormwood Studios,

I have only one thing to say,

Thankyou!

5. Mabster says:

Wadjet Eye, Telltale, Daedalic and Frogwares keep bringing out these really interesting titles one after another, and with Schafer, Gilbert, Tørnquist and Jensen all working on their new games, seems the adventure gaming renaissance isn’t looking half-bad.

6. mittortz says:

Sigh. I wish I was a robot with a quest in a post-apocalyptic world.

So do I, Jim.
    *Sigh*

7. Isometric says:

Looks lovely as always. Much love to Wadget Eye Games, they make such brilliant and interesting games. Still need to play Resonance and get through the Blackwell games.

8. D3xter says:

Don’t forget to vote for it on Greenlight if you haven’t yet: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=108108057

Since for some reason Steam/Valve decided to have them go through that process instead of releasing it directly like GoG (despite them having 8 previous Releases on Steam already).

• Mario Figueiredo says:

Was hoping that by now they had already been given clearance :(

• Stellar Duck says:

It really seems like Steam has it in for adventure games in general and Wadjet Eye in particular. From Dave Gilberts mails it seems like it was a major struggle to get the games they’ve got on Steam. I really hoped they would be past that nonsense by now.

Not that I particularly care about them being on Steam, as I buy all their games directly from Wadjet Eye, but many people won’t notice the games unless it’s on Steam.

Though they do get more and more attention with each game they release. There were quite a bit about both Resonance and Gemini Rue and it looks like sites that normally never cover these sorts of games are writing up Primordia at the moment.

9. wiglaf says:

Good art style. But wow, was this super-conservative, obligatory Adventure sense of humour on the level of RPS comments really necessary? he asked.

10. kael13 says:

I’m stuck! :( Can’t find a second item to stick in the robot’s nose, nor will Ever Faithful accept my answers for my name. Can’t get into the train, or use the mobile sensor…

• fov says:

One of the items is found near the ship. The other (the one I missed initially) is near the robot’s head. And both are things you might reasonably stick in your nose, come to think of it.

11. Crosmando says:

Selling old-school adventure games in the age of modern internet marketing seems a bit tricky, so much depends on a good trailer, but of course in an adventure game you can’t show any of the actual core gameplay; that is solving puzzles, without spoiling the game, so all the trailer footage has to be “walking” or so on, adventure games (a bit like “old-school” RPG’s) can only be experienced by playing them, trailers do them no justice. That being said, that trailer does it really well.

• Brise Bonbons says:

I’ll have to try the demo, as this video had a severe case of traileritis that really turned me off. I agree that trailer-ing (trailing?) or teasing an adventure game is tough to do right, but this one… Errgh.

The story sounds charming and fairly unique! But the trailer seems to present it via cliche one-liners and easy-to-absorb tropes. The art is probably lovely while playing the game, but presented as a video where we expect smooth motion and high frame rates, it just looks jarring.

I don’t mean to be overly critical of the creators, here, as I couldn’t say how I’d improve on what they’ve done. But there has to be some other way to present the game that puts it in a better light.

Maybe it’s just me, everyone else seems to like the trailer OK. Am I being unfair here? Maybe it’s just me and trailers; even trailers for movies I enjoy typically turn me off.

• Mabster says:

Well the Wadjet Eye development and publishing team is just a married couple and their dog, so they’re probably pretty limited in what they can actually do with their marketing material. I agree that the trailer is kinda bare-bones, but it does show off the tone and art style of the game, so it serves it’s purpose I suppose.

The Book of Unwritten Tales had a really fun launch trailer for it’s English language re-release.

12. slerbal says:

Wow – that trailer was an instant buy for me – pre-ordered it on gog.com for $7.99 including the soundtrack which is really atmospheric :)

It reminds me of a cross between Beneath a Steel Sky and Machinarium, so was an instant purchase. Even though I largely avoid Greenlight, I will definitely support this one.

13. Muzman says:

Jesus, I don’t think I could play this. The pain of seeing all that lovely art crushed into a tiny resolution for no good reason.
    #retroispoison

• Wedge says:

Because that lovely art is not very high resolution in the first place and will look awful if it were stretched out? Admittedly it would be nice if if that engine let you scale things and keep the original look, which is possible to do.

• Muzman says:

It would look the same stretched out were that the case, because that’s what’s happening already.
        I don’t think you can say for certain they are small source. It would be a bizarre way to do it in this day and age. Just about everything with that level of fluidity was ‘digitised’ from regular old drawings. It was just a matter of what output resolution the game was rendered at.
        The concept art seems like perfectly normal drawings. Seems highly unlikely the artist would switch to the much more difficult pixel art just for effect (possible, but what a horrible thought). The easy way would be to crush down higher res sources, or just plain lock the game to 640×480 and interpolate higher resolutions for display to get the effect. If so, they should unlock it.

• lordfrikk says:

No game ever used its actual concept art in a finished game. I think you might be underestimating the time it would take to produce all the game’s graphics in the same fidelity as the concept art’s.

• Muzman says:

Whatever the fidelity of the game art might be, the argument thus far is they must have produced pixel art on purpose or very small images to produce the low res look. This is extremely difficult too. Much harder than just drawing normally, in general. Not unheard of, but seems unlikely. That screenshot above looks an awful lot like it was a normal rendered drawing once doesn’t it, (especially when not blown up so the pixelation shows). Just like the concept art. So the pixelated version of the scene found in game came from somewhere high res.
            They should use this art in all its glory.

• Pinback says:

The original art for Primordia is almost all high resolution. I paint each background or sprite in high res, scale it down and then clean it up pixel art style. But the game was designed to be low res for two major reasons;

1) First and foremost I love low res games. I wanted to see how pretty I could make a game in low res format, to see how far I personally could push the medium.

2) Painting high res backgrounds I find quite easy, it’s the animating of high res sprite that would have been restrictively difficult for me. There are quite a few animations in Primordia that took me like a week to do, having these anims in high res would have been too much work for one man I think, and the game would have looked much poorer as a result.

- Victor, Primordia Artist