Future Perfect: Deus Ex New Vision Mod Completed

By Nathan Grayson on November 29th, 2012 at 4:00 pm.

Remember Deus Ex’s long-awaited New Vision mod? Of course you do. We brought you word of its incomplete release last year, and obviously, you’ve calibrated your cyber-brain’s nanomachines to remember every last detail of every last revision of every last RPS post. I mean, what else would you use flawless memory superpowers for? At any rate, for those still running inferior flesh hardware, New Vision repaves the original Deus Ex with crisp modern textures. All of them. It’s a labor of love that’s been in the works for the past five years, but it’s finally completely and totally finished.

With this update, New Vision now brings its resolution revolution to 100 percent (or presumably somewhere very close) of Deus Ex’s textures. The previous version only managed 75 percent. Lead texture artist David Watts bid adieu to the behemoth of a mod project with a brief thank you post:

“I’d like to sincerely thank everyone in the community for their support over the years; without you, I wouldn’t have had the motivation to continue working on this project for 5 years of my life.”

“I hope you all enjoy the mod and I wish you all the best.”

Now, it’s important to note that New Vision only applies to environment textures. Characters, meanwhile, will remain their sludgy old selves, for better or worse. Apparently, Project HDTP‘s super totally close no for real this time you guys to being finished, but that’s been the case for years. We’ll see, though. It’d be quite a treat to gawk at Deus Ex for both its brains and its beauty, but I’m not getting my hopes up. For now, though, I’d say the completed New Vision mod warrants a reinstall (if, you know, you’ve ever made the mistake of uninstalling Deus Ex), so you should probably get on that.

, , , .

1. Guvornator says:

Oh Good Lord. I love you PC, I really do.

• stacyparker8 says:

Jake. if you, thought Clarence`s story is astonishing, I just received a new Alfa Romeo after bringing in $9931 thiss month and-more than, 10k last month. it’s by-far the easiest work Ive ever done. I started this 5 months ago and straight away started bringin in minimum $84 per hour. I follow instructions here.. http://twitlink.ws/bAH

2. Ansob says:

Hey, look! An excuse to replay Deus Ex!

Don’t mind if I do.

(Remember to install Fixer and biomod for maximum good game, kids!)

3. Kilometrik says:

YOU WON’T MAKE REINSTALL RPS! YOU JUST WONT DAMMIT! ;_;

*Reinstalling Deus Ex*

• MistyMike says:

You’ll be uninstalling around Paris catacombs

• sinister agent says:

I always hit a wall of disinterest after reaching Hong Kong. Same goes for the new one too, curiously. Too much wandering around confusing, largely pointless hubs for me.

• Kilometrik says:

Funny, Hong Kong is my favorite part. SO intrincate and chock full of stuff to find…

• Shuck says:

Yeah, me too. I haven’t played HR yet, so it’s nice to know I have similar areas to look forward to.

• rei says:

Also, the music.

particlese says:

o_o My brain totally adds muffled marketplace chatter and the sprint aug powering up to that music.

There are so many parts of this game I love, but I think the return to UNATCO was my favorite section.

• Zelius says:

Really? The hubs are my favorite parts in these games. Especially Hengsha (assuming that’s what you were referring to in HR), which I found to be one of the most interesting locations of any game, ever.

• tetracycloide says:

The veneer starts to peel on the third and fourth playthroughs IMO. It really starts to grate that all the shops are basically identical and with very very few exceptions the only thing you want to do is run to the door, open it, walk in and quickly scan for any items, then leave. Outside of the layout of the individual shops though I think it’s pretty awesome and feels more like an actual city than anything I’ve played before Dishonored.

• ResonanceCascade says:

But then you’d miss Area 51! I love that part.

• Poliphilo says:

Wow I know tastes differ but just wow, that’s when the game gets more interesting (admittedly it does that all the time, only lull for me is the start of A51, right before it gets interesting again).

Can I ask what causes you to uninstall there?

What a lovely way to replay DX this December.

4. Hoaxfish says:

Oh my God JC a Mod

5. tetracycloide says:

Why not link the thread for the very recent beta release of HDTP? It’s got a ton of new stuff compared to the demo release 1 including updated charter models for many main characters. MJ12 trooper models cause crashes though so toggle them off. Oh yeah, there’s an on the fly in game toggle for new character models which is awesome.

6. Tyrmot says:

Goddamn.. reinstall on the way…

• Poliphilo says:

The thing I never get it why people uninstall it in the first place? Sure a fresh install is nice but otherwise my PC is not complete without DX installed. (I wish I could say the same for DXHR ugh)

7. Teovald says:

Too bad it does not improve the characters as well.
    I will have to wait for that other mod then..

• Casimir's Blake says:

Too bad it doesn’t fix the poorly-balanced (some may say broken) stealth, the distinctly un-fun and frustrating first mission (far too much open space), and the Unreal Engine’s horrid mouse control.

I would much rather see fixes and some expanded levels for Invisible War, making it the game it should have been. I found it to be a solidly-designed game with a tighter control scheme let down only by the tiny tiny minuscule game world that hardly explored the possibilities and systems the game had to offer. I’d argue it was more successful at being an immersive sim than its forebear. When it ran. Okay that was the other problem…

• Nick says:

bizarro comment.

• TsunamiWombat says:

I’ll agree the game mechanics of IW were much better (shooting, stealth, etc) and I feel like it was just as intelligent as the Original (in certain parts), but elements of it were overly streamlined and overly simplified (the inventory!!no corner lean!?) and as you said, it was so small and boring.

I don’t think IW deserves it’s reputation as the gaming Great Satan, but it is inferior to Deus Ex and HR.

• jorygriffis says:

I actually just reinstalled IW for the first time in years, partially for laughs and partially in the hope that my pleasant memories of it are not a complete fabrication. For the most part I was about right–the game isn’t as bad as its reputation, and some of its systems are really unique and fascinating. The graphics, though horrendously limited, have a certain charm. The dialog (along with the voice acting, I guess) is pretty strong. The game is pretty resoundingly “not that good, but not that bad”, which may actually make it slightly more disappointing.

One thing, though, and I actually don’t remember this being an issue: the shooting mechanics are awful. It feels like they put no effort into making them actually enjoyable

• LionsPhil says:

Yeah, mechanically IW is terrible (especially the godawfully tiny levels, to the extent that maps reappearing from the original end up subdivided and simplified). I really don’t get the above comments. What merits it has are in its writing and voice acting, which managed to not regress from the first game, and its greater freedom in faction allegiance. Oh, and that they introduced mantling.

• hamburger_cheesedoodle says:

I’m surprised to see so much praise for the voice acting. I never thought it was that good- sure, the audio quality is superior to DX1′s, but I don’t feel like the quality of the acting is much better. Maybe the bug-eyed monsters who all move like damaged animatronics are what kill the dialog’s delivery.

• LionsPhil says:

You’ve at least got to like the Obviously Evil Guy.

• Poliphilo says:

Please tell me you are trolling.

• The Random One says:

I think what you want is a remake, not a mod.

• tetracycloide says:

HDTP Beta does including UNATCO troopers, NSF troopers, Simons, Paul, JC, Anna, and Hermann. Some of the new models are better than others. Unfortunately the new models for MJ12 troopers are missing some animations so they crash the game if you have them enabled and sit down or stun prod them. Fortunately there’s an in game menu to turn off them or any other character models if it turns out you don’t like them. The mod also changes most of the objects in the world including the weapons, ammo, bots, computers, datapads, and many other devices.

Lambchops says:

What a sh . . . iny new set of visuals.

9. povu says:

Keep an eye on Deus Ex Revision as well: http://www.moddb.com/mods/deus-ex-revision

It’s expanding all levels of the game, adding more stuff to them, etc. It’s making good and steady progress.

10. TheManfromAntarctica says:

If only they had made DXHR moddable, somebody could be reamking the original in full HD “Black Mesa style”. I could wait 8 years for it.

• The Colonel says:

I’d rather they didn’t. Keep that modern gameplay and colourful palette well away from my Deus Ex. I would love to see a Black Mesa treatment of it which was true to that though.

• tetracycloide says:

The thing about mods is they’re opt-in. They can redo it any style AND keep it out of your deus ex at the same time.

• ResonanceCascade says:

What makes you think the palette of Human Revolution would make it into a Deus Ex remake?

Not that Deus Ex needs a remake, mind. It just seems like a silly complaint, since it almost certainly wouldn’t happen that way.

• sinister agent says:

“I wanted orange. It gave me orange, orange, orange, and orange.”

11. Ysellian says:

Well there goes my weekend.

12. Love Albatross says:

Never noticed that Hong Kong Canal was given a tip of the hat like that in Human Revolution (aren’t there two guards stood in the same place on that Hengsha section?). Clearly I have not played enough Deus Ex this year.

13. Paul says:

I really hope HDTP gets finished, I would love to revisit it with New Vision and HDTP both.

• Bob says:

HDTP is in beta if you want to give it a whirl, there is a link on their forum. Once you have New Vision and HDTP installed have a look at at Filben’s shack and surrounds. It’s chalk and cheese comparing the vanilla look and the look those two mods now give it.

14. Herzog says:

Yep. Have been using the incomplete version of this mod for my first playthrough in the beginning of this year. Really recommended and great work!

Smashbox says:

I am a dull and simple lad
    Can not tell water from champagne
    And I have never met the queen
    And I wish I could have all that he has got
    I wish I could be like David Watts

Fa fa, etc.

16. gritz says:

I don’t think HDTP is any closer to being finished than they were 6 years ago. What a joke.

• Beybars says:

They’ve actually released another update not two weeks ago:

offtopicproductions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11566

Still incomplete, and buggy, but it is closer to completion at least.

• Bob says:

If you grab the HDTP beta leave the MJ12 option unchecked, it causes lock-ups if used.

17. DickSocrates says:

It makes Deus Ex look as crap as you remembered it. Early 3D has aged so poorly in my opinion, yet I can play Doom with original sprites and not worry at all.

• sinister agent says:

Deus Ex was only 2000. That’s not so early. And it hasn’t aged half as badly as late 90s 3D (eg: the somewhat coincidentally-named Deus).

18. nblake42 says:

I’m playing through Deus Ex properly for the first time at the moment…just reached the Cemetary. Although I consider myself to not care about graphics, at first I did wonder if I would get over the boxy designs and hilariously podgy fuzzy people.

Took about an hour to get used to it, and now I think it looks (and especially SOUNDS) wonderful. Plus it’s got such great gameplay, the last thing it needs is any kind of new texture pack.

Basically: you wasted five years of your life, guys.

• deadly.by.design says:

Tell me all your thoughts on God Black Mesa.

• Bob says:

Dave W might actually agree about Deus Ex not needing any enhancements. The thousands upon thousands who’ve downloaded the mod are likely to appreciate his perseverance though.

19. deadly.by.design says:

I’ve had the Deus Ex GoTY DVD for years and still haven’t played it.

Guess I’m all out of excuses now.

20. klingon13524 says:

I can hardly find words to describe my joy.

21. frenz0rz says:

Reinstalling. That is all.

22. LkMaxBr says:

So… Am I the only one who didn’t saw much improvement?
    And I’d rather see the time spent on a model/effects pack.

23. malkav11 says:

So here is the question: is it compatible with the Nameless Mod?

24. Slinkyboy says:

Once again… Deus Ex GOTY for over 10 years.

25. nimzy says:

And I was just saying I wanted to reinstall the game. Well, would you look at that.