Guild Wars 2′s Festive Nightmare Winter Fear Balloon

By Jim Rossignol on November 29th, 2012 at 8:00 am.

We Earthpeople might face abject terror each Christmas when a supernatural fat man dressed in red tries to stuff himself down all our chimneys at once, but spare a thought for the denizens of Tyria, who must face being given things they don’t want or need by a nightmarish airship (pictured). The Guild Wars 2 site explains this impending abomination in their precis for the “Wintersday” event which will take place between December 14th and January 3rd: “This year the city of Lion’s Arch will host the asuran Toymaker Tixx as their special Wintersday guest of honor. Before Tixx arrives in Lion’s Arch in his massive airship toy workshop, he’ll visit every major city in Tyria to deliver Wintersday toys and holiday cheer.”

Brr.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. f1x says:

Excelsior!

2. DestructibleEnvironments says:

Merry charrmess!

3. KauhuK says:

I hope there will be a jump puzzle like in the Halloween event.

• apocraphyn says:

That was pretty brilliant, in terms of both design and challenge. The reward was quite nice, too.

• Soulstrider says:

Finishing that puzzle was probably my happiest moment in Guildwars 2, jesus what an hellish thing that was.

• Xanadu says:

My 40 year old reflexes could not cope with the crazy jumpiness of the halloween puzzle. Rest of halloween made up for it though. Hoping for a festive themed arena like the Mad Kings labyrinth.

4. LionsPhil says:

It has exhaust ports on its armpits.

5. Namey says:

Hopefully this wont be as an awful mess as the previous event was. Though the somewhat longer time window makes it seem like they’ve realized making a one-time event that half the world can’t participate in due to timezones or unbearable lag is a bad idea.

• Phantoon says:

To be fair, that entire event was terrible.

The loot at the end didn’t make up for it, but the Fractals are pretty good. Hopefully they add new Fractals every few months.

6. jinnyjinjin says:

Oh, I meant to mention it the other day, Guild Wars 2 is on offer on pcgamesupply.com for just under £19. I got it a couple of days ago and it is AWESOME!
    The only thing is that site has a weird way of working. They call you for security purposes. Never heard that done before, but I have GW2 for cheap so I don’t mind :D

7. Lemming says:

I always think the holiday events in MMORPGs are a bit out of control. They tend to take you out of the atmosphere of the game, not to mention (WoW) ones that have far too many holiday events in a given year.

If MMORPGs insist on these kind of things, why not have their OWN holidays? Pick a different date in the calender for goodness sake. It don’t really see it as a good thing that I can be heavily drenched in a game’s medieval/steampunk/sci-fi atmosphere, and suddenly it all comes crashing back down to a capitalist reality.

• f1x says:

Events are OK if they do something that fits the current stage of the game + season, of course its weird to see Father Christmas in Azeroth, but well its also because of the fun of it and what not, no need to be grumpy about lore incoherences

The problem with WoW is you simply get the same event every year, with small to none differences, in the end it becomes simply an achievement grind, they have a calendar now stablished with the same achievements to be done everytime and pretty much the same stuff from the first time they did the season event

For GW2 it has to be seen, as this is the first year of the game, but Halloween event was awesome so far, for the clock tower jumping puzzle alone it was already succesful <3
      if they make a similar thing with christmas and have the decency to not put the exact same thing the next year then its fine

8. MrLebanon says:

Gw2 was probably one of my most anticipated releases of this year….

release came, I played for a week straight, and haven’t touched it since. I found that whole “it’s skill based combat!” to be a bunch of nonsense and it just wasn’t fun.

Bad guy appears… press 7,8, 4, 3, 1, 2, swap ,2 1, 3, 4, repeat

• goettel says:

Even though I couldn’t stand GW, I anticipated GW2 as well.

Not sayin’ all my dreams have come through, but I’m almost 400 hours in (and that’s in wageslave-off-hours), going strong, with more and more MMO buddies making the jump in. Which just goes to show how opinions can differ.

• dorianGREY326 says:

@MrLebanon – try getting back in and playing WvW, I assure you doing number combos without dodging, kiting, debuffs, buffs and tightening up your build, you will be slaughtered. Also dungeons (well ones that you dont exploit) will also stop you from just standing there pressing numbers. By the sounds of it, you fought wolves in the starting area and gave up. I would challenge you to see that the skill based combat is actually surprisingly skillful, maybe not to the level of some games but i found it fresh and enjoyable.

Comment on this story