How Does One Hunt Cards? Like This, Says Card Hunter

By Nathan Grayson on November 29th, 2012 at 2:00 pm.

I spied a card called MIND WORM in a piece of promotional material. Sold.

It’s entirely possible to do a good many things with cards. You can stack them, scatter them, throw them, boil ‘em, mash ‘em, stick ‘em in a stew, etc. And after humanity realized that Card Stew was a disgusting affront to tastebuds everywhere, people even started playing games with them. Slowly but surely, though, the phrase “card game” took on a rather unsavory stigma – relegated to pitch black basement dungeons and videogames without punching or explosions. But the mad card and mustache scientists at Blue Manchu have engineered a means by which to hunt cards, and the end result – Card Hunter, naturally – is quite a different creature from standard cardboard slip trading fare. Basically, if you normally flee at the sight of anything with “card” or “TCG” in its description, this might make a believer out of you yet.

It’s quite an interesting fusion of turn-based role-playing and collectible trading card games, if you ask me (and Alec, too!). I especially like the idea of equipping card sets as pieces of limb-specific equipment. On one hand, it might limit the flexibility of being able to customize your entire deck as you see fit, but on the other, this seems to strike a nice balance between clutter-reducing intuitiveness and player control.

Battles, meanwhile, look to take more cues from the likes of Final Fantasy Tactics and games of that ilk than Card Hunter’s tabletop brethren, so snazzy spell effects and environmental hazards abound. That said, the locations do seem a bit drab. I mean, I know Blue Manchu’s attempting to replicate a tabletop vibe, but couldn’t line-of-sight-blocking pillars at least jut out from the ground like, well, pillars often do?

(It is at these moments that it’s necessary for a man to face himself in the mirror, gaze unflinchingly into his own eyes, and take stock of his life. I am criticizing videogame pillars. This is – in all likelihood – the point of no return for me as both a writer and a human being. Before long, I’ll probably start standing on street corners and ranting about the importance of flushable toilets in videogame bathrooms. Because seriously, if they don’t even so much as gurgle, it totally kills the illusi– no, Nathan. Stop. You’re stronger than this.)

But anyway, Card Hunter looks pretty great! At least, I think so. Do you think so? I mean, aside from the pillars. Because let’s face it, those are completel– no. No. I refuse.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Lobotomist says:

Would you just please release this game ! … or at least start the beta ( hopefully i will be invited )

• dontnormally says:

Having read the blog updates for a year I really hope they prioritize early… watchers?

[edit]: What the hell. There was no new information in that video.

• stacyparker8 says:

up to I saw the paycheck saying $4390, I didn’t believe that…my… friend woz truley bringing home money in there spare time at there labtop.. there dads buddy has done this for only about 6 months and recently cleard the dept on their apartment and purchased a top of the range Lotus Esprit. I went here,.. http://is.gd/vn30yp

• Deadly Habit says:

My thoughts exactly, been watching this project for what seems like ages, and signed up for the beta ages ago. I just wanna play it already, not get teased and teased with no climax. If I wanted that I’d head to the nearest strip club!

2. MuscleHorse says:

I’m not really a card gamer but anything that has a Thief reference can’t be all bad.

3. Faldrath says:

Bonfires that never burn out are my pet peeve. Bonfires need fuel, and rekindling, and… sigh :(

4. phlebas says:

Lord Batford’s Manor, eh? OK, I might be intrigued.

5. mr.black says:

PILLARF.. nah..
    Looks like satisfying Nathan’ll be a tall order for this game..

6. Ansob says:

Damn, that top picture. The D&D module references (plus the Thief one) make this look pretty great.

7. Wild_Marker says:

Wait, does the card on the left say “Raid on Ommlet”??

Get to the battelements! They want our eggs!!

• Ansob says:

It’s a reference to the T1 module (The Village of Hommlet).

• Andy_Panthro says:

You can’t raid Ommlet without breaking a few eggs…

• Shadowcat says:

Egg raid on Ommlet
      Egg raid on Ommlet
      Egg raid on Ommlet
      Egg raid on Ommlet

We dressed all in black
      We snuck up around the back
      We began to attack
      The eggs did crack on Ommlet’s back
      Go!

Egg raid on Ommlet
      Egg raid on Ommlet
      Egg raid on Ommlet
      Egg raid on Ommlet

Gonna scream, gonna fight
      Let’s have an egg raid tonight
      Gonna scream, gonna fight
      Let’s have an egg raid tonight

Egg raid, gonna die
      Beat up Ommlet all the time

8. CletusVanDamme says:

This has me checking my (otherwise unused) email at least once per day for a beta invite. Lot of great ideas bundled up.

9. Wounder says:

I am looking forward to this to a frankly disturbing degree. Beta, even if I don’t get in, can’t come fast enough.

Also, I imagine the “cards tied to the item” will let the developers have a better grip on deck building and limit the number of OMGFTW SUPA BUILDS. Which I’m trademarking… now. No, now. Everything that happens now, is happening now.

10. Mutak says:

That deck-building via equipping a character mechanic is very interesting and appealing but i wonder if it will ultimately feel too limiting. Very curious to find out either way.

11. rawrty says:

What’s in the cup in the bottom left corner? they kind of look like fries but they are too uniformly curly. Fried half-ring onions? Can you tell it’s almost lunchtime here?

12. Hmm-Hmm. says:

Makes me think of tabletop games like Heroquest. Looks good so far. Still a shame it’s browser-based.

• McGuit says:

I think the negative discussions seen here and elsewhere concerning “browser” or “flash” based games are just ludicrous.
      The game is the thing.
      You could have the best engine in the world and still create shite.
      Yep, seen it done.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

I guess you’re right. I suppose it comes from experience with browser games and preferring games which don’t necessarily need to be online all the time not to require internet access. Bit of a knee-jerk reaction, perhaps. The game, as said, does look rather good.

13. pertusaria says:

This looks lovely, and has looked lovely since the first time RPS posted about it many moons ago. I hope there’s nothing in the eventual release that spoils it, and that they stop teasing us fairly soon.

14. SixSided says:

I love the item based deck building, as it creates a logical way for actual bad cards to get into a deck. The beta for this can’t start soon enough.

15. evilhayama says:

This game is what I thought Mojang’s Scrolls was going to be, but that seems to be a multiplayer focused thing, at least in the alpha. Good to see more videogames taking ideas from the boardgame world though.

16. Easy says:

This, plus The Banner Saga, are the two games I’m really looking forward to.