Particles Of Space: Retrobooster Demo

By Adam Smith on November 29th, 2012 at 5:00 pm.

I only play it for the particles

Retrobooster’s junkyard ships thrust, spin and blast their way through hazardous caves, all the while spewing extraordinarily impressive particles. Activating a thruster to stabilise, even if there’s only the slightest touch of a button, and the air fills with fumes. Bombard an alien and its mechanical walker erupts, debris scattering, flames billowing. Creator Terry Welsh, formerly of NASA, has this to say about the in-development title: “Piloting a ship that is always seconds from a fatal collision, Retrobooster sustains a quiet tension. Survival is between you, the alien horde, and the game’s realistic physics.” The demo contains plenty of fatal collisions and a sensible person would probably download it immediately. Trailer below.

I haven’t had a chance to try the split-screen yet because I spend my days alone, occasionally sparking up a conversation with one of my Mansions of Madness miniatures. Today I had breakfast with a shoggoth. We talked about the culture and ethics of the press, whether I really think every game should be a roguelike, and whether it’s going to be another gray-litten Christmas in doom-laden Y’quaa.

, , , , .

1. wodin says:

Reminds me of an updated Defender…

• stacyparker8 says:

uptil I saw the receipt which was of $5340, I accept that my neighbour woz actualie earning money in their spare time at there computar.. there dads buddy has been doing this less than twentey months and as of now paid for the dept on there appartment and got a new Lexus LS400. we looked here.. http://x.co/punE

• Cloudiest Nights says:

My neighbor, Woz Actualie, died in a car crash yesterday when he hit a narwhal crossing the street. May he not R.I.P., but rather come back and kill this commenter.

2. Kefren says:

Ah, the chunky grey Shoggoth. So solid and reliable, as long as it is glued into the base.

• Kefren says:

This is pure Thrust. [No innuendo intended.]

• foop says:

Ah, Thrust! Can it really be 26 years ago? You helped us discover that the monitors attached to our BBC Bs really didn’t like being turned upside-down for the reversed gravity levels.

Here’s a splendid YouTube video of Thrust, which faithfully captures my initial experiences with the game.

3. jatan says:

reminds me of oids….a classic…think i may give it a go

• ZephyrSB says:

Why is it whenever I remembered my childhood love of Oids up to this point, I went looking for stuff to ignite my nostalgic memories, but never could.

Yet now I try and cannot not find stuff that was apparently ALWAYS THERE. It must be a special kind of skill to suck this much with google.

4. trjp says:

Oh man – Really Slick – Really Slick Screensavers!!

I used to run ‘The Eye Candy Gallery’ – a website dedicated to crazy graphics toys and they were amongst the best (alongside Cthugha, Milkdrop etc. etc.)

Must give this a whirl!!

5. ElvisNeedsBoats says:

Gravitar meets Major Havoc with some Choplifter.

• Aardvarkk says:

Choplifter! That’s the one this reminded me of.. imma have to try it I think.

LTK says:

I must say those sound effects are excellent.

Lorewin says:

Just played the demo – and the company name hits the nail on the head. For old arcaders – it’s a mashup of Defender and Lunar Lander, or Defender with a full physics model. The challenge (at least in the demo) is about piloting skill rather than outwitting the AI – you’ll be alternately crowing about a skilful flyby and cursing a confusion of retros and thrust which leaves your rescuees on fire and your ship pancaked.
    Very much looking forward to the release of this – the makings of a classic.

8. Caiman says:

Oids! With even more shooting. Instapurchase. Make sure you vote for it on Greenlight too.

Harlander says:

A definite Thrust vibe, yes. I’m most reminded, among the short-lived but ever-delightful caveflier genre, of Tunnels of the Underworld.

Also split screen yessssss