Crafty: Mortal Online Goes Free To Play

By Adam Smith on November 30th, 2012 at 6:00 pm.

I’d somehow managed to avoid reading anything about Mortal Online until this morning. Upon hearing that the game’s free trial has been extended, now lasting forever, Jim directed me to this conversation about the player-driven sandbox MMORPG. He also said, “it’s a game where you spawn with just your pants” which caused my browser to instantly open a new tab and attempt to download the client. It took a couple of hours for me to get hold of it this morning due (presumably) to server errors, but now I’m all set and ready to run around in my pants. More info and a trailer below.

So, the free version is the same as the previously available trial except without the pesky 14 day time limit. That means skills max out at 60, as opposed to the magnificent and complete ‘100’ of the premium version. You’ll have to reach into your bank account to loot and trade expensive objects as well, which hopefully doesn’t mean I’ll be stuck with the starting pants for the rest of my mortal life. It’s also impossible to use thievery skills without paying for premium, which is deeply upsetting as the dance of robbery is the most entertaining part of the video.

It’ll be interesting to see how players have chosen to live and interact during the years that the game has been active. The aim, as I understand it, was to offer a blank slate, with players responsible for building, setting up an economy, resource gathering and just about anything else that goes into making a society work.

Is Mortal Online’s world functional or dysfunctional? Only venturing into its vastness will answer that question but it’s worth remembering that when the free trial began, Quinns related this tale: “There’s this one naked player who stands on a bridge all day and night and when players try to cross it he beats the crap out of them with a stick”.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Ootmians says:

Mortal Online? I was expecting to see players ripping each other’s spines out. GET OVER HERE!

• jessicasherwood3 says:

up to I looked at the bank draft saying $8267, I didn’t believe that…my… brother trully bringing home money part time online.. there aunt haz done this for under twenty months and by now paid for the mortgage on there villa and got a brand new Chevrolet. go to.. http://www.Google.mel7.com

2. RakeShark says:

I guess I’ve been cooking wrong all this time.

Rikard Peterson says:

I suppose he’s in the preparatory stage of cooking, preparing the ingredient known as rabbit.

• LuizPSC says:

Nhhaa, he is probably breaking a egg with the arrow.

But in the video i am like nhee, ultil i saw about the cooking, i really love cook in videogames, that survival stuff.

3. Palindrome says:

I played it for a while when it was in late beta. It was interesting but not exactly enthralling. Griefing was also a major problem.

4. disperse says:

I can only assume the player who is swinging an ax at a mountain is trying to gather a damaged ax head and extract a broken stick.

5. takfar says:

Whoah! The video makes it seem exactly like a game concept I was discussing with a buddy, except… it doesn’t seem like it’s implemented very well..? I dunno, the trailer has a very awkward feel.

Anyway, how much for premium? Is it monthly or flat fee? It’s not clearly stated in the site, and I don’t really want to create an account just to find that out. [Edit: found it in the FAQ. US$ 14.25 monthly; for me, that’ll be a thanks but no thanks.]

6. Kodeen says:

Looking at that first article, I’m confused as to what a “Phill” is. Such a thing must have existed before my time.

7. carlthuringer says:

So, no mention of Wurm Online?
    Seems like an important bit of context when introducing a game to one’s readership.

• HexagonalBolts says:

Why bother when a snooty commenter will do it for you?

• Unaco says:

And yet they fail to put their mention of Wurm Online in any sort of context, in regards to Mortal Online.

strangeloup says:

I think the context is that it’s basically the same kind of thing, and has (I think) been around longer. It’s also much less of a download (yay!) but also some sort of streaming Java-based tomfoolery (boo).

S’also free, and always has been. Worth checking out if the stylings of Mortal Online intrigue.

• Nix Nada says:

No mention of 3D Monster Maze on the ZX81? That was also a game.

8. ScubaMonster says:

So it still has a subscription if you want to get anywhere? Not paying for this game with all the other options for mmo’s out there.

• Raquel says:

Enjoy “all the other options” then. Shame there are only a couple of sandbox mmo’s out there and this is one of them.

9. frightlever says:

Hmm. I remember registering for the Beta of this years ago. They still send me a birthday greeting. Obviously I didn’t give them my real DOB but it’s the thought that counts.

10. Jockie says:

I remember being quite excited about this after the early press – player driven economy, true sandbox, skill based combat etc. I recall their forums excitedly chirping away, with bandit clans, mercenary companies and all that.

Then I played it, spent like 20 minutes chipping away at a piece of wood, quit, uninstalled, didn’t look back.

• tmargul says:

You should have stuck with it. I swear it only takes 21 minutes to break a piece of wood. YOU WERE ALMOST THERE!

• Hyomoto says:

I was planning on giving it a shot, so before I do I’d rather not be terribly presumptuous. But I take it you’ve never played any of the old MUD’s, MOO’s, MUSHes, especially the DartMUD’s where the exact same was true. I somehow get the feeling this was made for people who were fans of games like Accursed Lands.

11. Valvarexart says:

it’s an amazing game in many ways. Unfortunately it’s being limited by a tiny playerbase and insufficient development funds. There is a certain charm to the game that will only appear to those who have open eyes. If you think that getting lost in the deep, wild forests of an ancient jungle sounds bad, or if the concept of dying a thousand times and perhaps losing your most valuable items seems negative to you… then you might want to stay away. If, on the other hand, you are like me, and the things that I just mentioned are desirable features… then you want to at least give the trial a shot. Unfortunately the game grows dull on you after a while (months, perhaps)…

12. SuperNashwanPower says:

Will there be bunnies
    Bunnies or no sale

• Ich Will says:

Or maybe midgets

• Randomer says:

Bunnies aren’t just cute like everybody supposes.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

They are also incredible at backgammon?

• Xardas Kane says:

They are sex addicts. I kid you not, I know 2 two people who were raped by bunnies.

On topic – great concept, absolutely jaw-droppingly bad execution. I sincerely hope the devs have managed to fix at least some of the issues, but they lost my goodwill when they charged full-price for that alpha. Try it at your own risk. But honestly, if you want a player-driven sandbox game, just go with EVE.

• Ich Will says:

And what’s with all the carrots?
        What do they need such good eyesight for anyway?

Once more, with feeling

• SuperNashwanPower says:

If above comments are to be believed, its to help them pick out their next ‘conquest’ :D

• Mrice says:

There are bunnies and they are just as hard to chase down and kill with a massive sword as you would exspect.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

As appalled as I am by your anti-bun sentiments, I may also have been guilty of finding it really funny in Skyrim when you snipe a bunneh and they quietly go **MEEP**, and their ears go flying comedically head over heels.

13. Dana says:

Yeah, no. They were selling Alpha Test for 60$ when this shit came out.

• Raquel says:

Maybe thats because its an indie MMO with no budget and a couple of devs, dummy.

14. Scouter says:

Any players here who would like to share their impressions of the game?

Also lots of memories from Runescape are being invoked when I saw the trailer.

• Valvarexart says:

It is a fairly different game, but similar in some unsettling ways. They are both games that were amazing to explore and learn how to play (took a while in both cases), they are both games that are amazing to talk about and share stories about with your friends… And they are both pretty grindy and they both fall short in several areas, sometimes unexpectedly.

15. Berzee says:

This is, even more than most similar MMORPGS, a game I was very interested to try (for its very “free for all” kind of un-directed mechanics) until I found out that this is, even more than most similar MMORPGS, a game where people run around without enough clothes on.

16. kimadactyl says:

Looks like a crap first person A Tale In The Desert.

17. MistyMike says:

I thought it’s some kind of new mod for Skyrim which allows you to explore around Morthal, that shithole in the middle of the swamp. Even the image seemed to fit.

18. akbarovich says:

Everyone knows the most hardcore crafting and role-playing experience is in CANTR II.

19. Lethys says:

I used to be very interested in this game bu the developers are very, very inexperienced. I remember when every feature promised, meaning a fully formed town development, guild system, player generated quests, player run shops, guild cities and guild-run banks, crafting, PvP balance, etc. was supposed to be in-game and working as expected by 2010. Then I remember checking once in 2011 and there was a problem where animals would sort of teleport around while you fought them. No progress had really been made at that point, only the diehard fans kept playing it and referred to it often as being a chore.

I played it for about five minutes and the UI was just ridiculously confusing, the graphics were no where near the trailers were, the gameplay was slow, the connection to the server was really bad, the lag was awful, and I was completely naked. So I guess now it’s free to play and they start you with pants. It might be amazing now but my experience with it is that it was awful.

20. OuterCrow says:

Hmmm, I actually think this trailer is badly paced. It looks awfully dull for the first minute, then starts to throw out all these great looking environments into the second half. To be honest, I almost closed it without seeing any of the good stuff!

Having said that, I don’t think I’ll try it.

21. CutieKnucklePie says:

PVP everywhere and full loot? No thanks, would be spending all my life living in a griefer’s paradise.