Wot I Think: Hell Yeah!

By Nathan Grayson on December 1st, 2012 at 2:30 pm.

Hell Yeah! isn’t really the sort of title you’d expect to see attached to something subdued and contemplative, and sure enough, Arkedo’s action-heavy Metroidvania is about as ridiculous, random, and fourth-wall-shattering as they come. But as the likes of Hamlet and Pee-Wee Herman have taught us, there’s an art to madness. It can be brilliantly amusing and useful, sure, but if it’s a crutch for something that’s fundamentally broken, well, you’ve just got a loud mess instead of quiet one. So, where does Hell Yeah! land on that spectrum? Here’s wot I think.

TRY AGAIN

I’ve just died for the first time in Hell Yeah, Arkedo’s completely unhinged Metroidvania-ish platformer about an evil bunny nightmare prince who’s been blackmailed with adorable ducky pictures. I’ve probably been playing for 30 minutes or so by this point, so I don’t mind all that much. And anyway, I’ve had a nice time along my way through, erm, hell – largely thanks to some spot-on jokes at the expense of videogame tutorials and the like – so I’m in good spirits. And let’s be honest here: my death was my fault. If I’d been paying attention instead of gawking at all manner of gorgeously hand-drawn gears, gizmos, and robo-hands, I wouldn’t have ended up a gristly rabbit shiskebab in a pit of insta-death spikes. So then, back to my previous checkpoint, another hop, skip, and jump, and… done. Made it through. Piece of cake. Carrot cake. Because rabbits and stuff.

TRY AGAIN

OK, now I’m getting a little bit annoyed. What was initially one of my favorite Hell Yeah features is starting to wear out its welcome. See, in addition to regular, easily squashed, shot, or saw-blade-drilled baddies, there are also big ones with names and lives and encyclopedia entries and maybe – just maybe (but probably not) – Ash’s precious blackmail pics. They’re not quite bosses, but they definitely take more than just a quick bullet to the brain or rocket to the everything to bring down. Here’s the twist, though: once you’ve depleted their health meters, you have to finish them off. Via a minigame. Yeah, you can probably already see where this might go horribly, horribly wrong. Admittedly, the resulting fatalities make Mortal Kombat look like a weak-stomached pacifist at a hug convention,  but getting there often made me want to actually tear somebody’s head off.

In this particular case, the minigame screen displayed a bee, and it told to me to hold the space bar to collect honey. I did that and immediately failed, resulting in tremendous damage to my health, eventual death, and an unceremonious boot back to my last checkpoint. Then I have to walk all the way back to this particular enemy – with any damage I’d suffered at the time of the checkpoint still dangling limply on my health meter, twisting and bouncing on single sinewy thread – blast through all its health again, and then try again to figure out what exactly the game wants me to do. Naturally, I fail again. Eventually, I figure out that I’m supposed to hold space until the bee turns around – kind of like a honey stealing stealth game – but that part was never explained in the slightest. Of course, then I get to watch an animation of Ash sicking a screen-filling swarm of a billion bees on the loathsome hell creature – leaving naught in their wake but a gruesomely bloated welt sack. It’s satisfying, definitely, but not nearly satisfying enough.

TRY AGAIN

Oh good god. So at this point, I’m a fair way into Hell Yeah, and I’ve got multiple worlds, a few boss fights, and several trillion annoying minigames under my belt. With that, of course, comes the spoils of Ash’s reckless, incredibly irresponsible one-bunny war: guns, hats, special abilities like an all-destroying head-on charge attack, and more guns. So, like any good Metroidvania, Hell Yeah of course takes them all away.

Wait, what?

Yes, in an attempt to force me out of my comfort zone, Hell Yeah’s decided it’d be a good idea to strip me of everything I’ve worked so hard to earn. All I have to my name is my trusty giant-wobbly-costume-afro/headphones combo. There’s a story justification for the sudden (and thankfully temporary) change of pace, but it’s flimsy and dumb. Just like my afro. I mean, I get what the developers are trying to do; while previous areas focused on action and gore-drowned destruction, this one’s meant to ease off the gas and force me to puzzle past a number of big bads. Problem is, in conjunction with the systems Hell Yeah was built upon, it just doesn’t work. At best, the puzzles are simply uninteresting (think: simple block pushing). At worst, they’re fucking infuriating and riddled with time-obliterating trial-and-error.

The worst part is when I’m forced to flee from a slowly target-acquiring turret gun while also positioning myself such that it blows up my obstacles for me. As per always, my bunny prince heart is nearly flatlining thanks to an awful checkpoint, so there’s no room for error. The path to – insert drawn-out sigh here – push a box onto the turret operator’s head, however, is long and rife with obnoxious perils. Moreover, it’s clearly designed to punish those who don’t known precisely how to proceed. Leap too far in one direction, and… spikes! Miss a jump by the narrowest of margins? Oh, no worries, this monster placed nonsensically in an incredibly specific corner will break your fall. Sorry, did I say “your fall”? I meant “you”. So I repeat this segment again and again and again and again until I lose count.

It’s here, too, that I really notice how lousy and imprecise Hell Yeah’s keyboard controls are. Jumping and movement feel oddly disconnected and slippery – which is a rather glaring flaw in a game about perfectly timed dashing and leaping. I plug in an Xbox controller, and things definitely feel a fair deal more responsive. Even then, though, I’m millions of miles away from the sublime shores of, say, DustForce or Super Meat Boy, where my character feels like a perfectly calibrated puppet, dancing from strings linked directly to my brain.

By sheer force of will, I eventually make it through, but gosh, I’m angry. That seems to happen a lot with this game. I just lose it.

TRY AGAIN

I’m past the point where I scream obscenities at the screen and – if no one’s looking – toss up all manner of unpleasant hand gestures. I’m past it. I don’t even care anymore. I’m about half-way through Hell Yeah, and I’m taking on a gigantic, multi-stage boss who has a penchant for rendering me completely immobile and bashing my bunny bones until they look like a very troubled child’s sidewalk chalk drawing. I can somewhat consistently make it to the boss’ final stage, but then he polishes my beaten, bloodied form off in short order and sends me hurtling back to the beginning. So, of course, I have to battle through the bits I’ve already proven I can beat countless times, because seriously, who still designs games like this? Who? And why? This isn’t difficulty. Real difficulty is interesting. Real difficulty makes me think. Real difficulty is well-designed, tough-but-fair levels. This is just padding. You’re forcing thick slabs of meaningless fat down my throat, and I want to throw it all back up.

I eventually win. I’m not even sure how. The result is literally a nuclear explosion. Earlier in the game, that would’ve made me laugh. I know this because that’s how every boss goes down. But the zany, oftentimes very clever humor isn’t enough anymore. I’m just tired.

TRY AGAIN

These firetruck-to-the-face red “try again” screens? They give me time to think. In most games, there’s a question mark at the end of it. “Try again?” But, given my experience of Hell Yeah, the lack thereof is oddly fitting. For me, it’s this bizarrely somber statement of inevitably. Try again. That is what I will do, because I must. Again and again and again.

Moreover, I’ll try again and again and again to like Hell Yeah. Because its arsenal is vast, its world is gorgeous, its humor hits more often than it misses, and The Island – a place where you essentially subject all major monsters you’ve killed to forced labor in order to earn items, upgrades, and the like – is a legitimately brilliant and interesting (though woefully under-important) game mechanic. If there’s one thing Hell Yeah’s not lacking, it’s personality. The game’s incredibly confident in what it is, even if that thing isn’t particularly good.

But it’s just not very fun. It doesn’t feel good, insta-death abounds, and – as far as Metroidvanias go – its world is horribly underutilized. There’s no reason to explore, after all, when the only rewards are cosmetic and a compass guides the way to all major objectives. And when it comes right down to it, levels – while incredibly nice-looking – aren’t particularly well-designed anyway. There are bright spots in the moment-to-moment action-platforming drudgery – juicy bits of real substance and inventiveness – but they’re sandwiched between so many layers of tedium.

So I find myself staring at my umpteen-bajillionth “try again” screen. At this point, I’m very close to the end of the game. I’ve killed most of the hundred or so major monsters, I’ve witnessed all manner of totally mad fatality screens, I’ve trekked across both the world and the limits of human imagination to die horribly in their finest spike pits. And finally, it dawns on me why it’s probably a good thing that there’s no question mark after Hell Yeah’s “try again.”

Because I would’ve had a very, very, very hard time not replying, “Hell no.”

, , , .

1. Shadrach says:

Oh my. While I am a sucker for the kind of artwork this game has, as a person that gets frustrated at the 3rd level in Meat Boy this is not for me I’m afraid…

2. DickSocrates says:

*Reads last paragraph to save time* “Hmmm, seems like a game I should consider!”

*Reads second last paragraph to make sure.* “Hey, wait a second, this game sounds medicore at best.”

3. UmmonTL says:

Hm, seems to me that it takes a bit after Dark Souls. I can totally see how some people don’t like that kind of game but at the same time there are many people who like the challenge. Although if it’s control and platforming issues that end you more often that actual fights against enemies it probably breaks the game.

• trjp says:

Utter nonsense – it’s NOTHING like Dark Souls, in my first 5-6 hours I didn’t have one ‘cheap’ death – I think I’d have 10 in the first 10 mins of Dark Souls :)

Hell Yeah is a standard platformer in that it gets hard and has checkpoints. It’s nowhere near as poor as some – nowhere near as punishing as some but it IS a platformer and they do tend to put demands on your abilities.

I easily got a £5′s worth of entertainment from it – and a visual treat it is too!

It’s SEGA “blue sky” gaming with a resolutely RED AND BLACK sky…

DrScuttles says:

In about 200 hours of Dark Souls, I’ve only had about 1 “cheap” death when I suddenly fell through the floor in The Catacombs.
        Dark Souls has, at various times, killed me with annoying deaths; an invasion, a spirit of vengeance, silver knights slashing me down before an overlong counter, Ornstein sneaking in a lightning jab as I was attacking Smoug… but the times this couldn’t have been avoided by my own skill can be counted on one hand. Dark Souls can be difficult, but it’s fair, oh so fair.

• UmmonTL says:

I also wouldn’t count Dark Souls to the games with “cheap” difficulty. Skill can get you through anything and there are many mechanics in place that, given enough patience, will see you succeed. If trjp could beat this game without the platforming/control issues mentioned in the article I’d guewss it falls into the same category: Hard and unforgiving but not unfair.

• allanschnorr says:

I finished the game and it’s not difficult, and I’m not a great platformer player, mind you. The controls were fine with a gamepad, I didn’t try playing with mouse and keyboard. The checkpoint system deserves the criticism, however. More often than not checkpoints were a couple of screens away from the tough enemies, forcing you to kill the same enemies and transverse the same obstacles again. I liked the minigames although a few were poorly explained, like the bee one Nathan mentioned, and dying because you didn’t understand what you had to do was frustrating. Although I wouldn’t recommend this game to everyone for full price, for $5 I think it’s worth it for platformer fans.

• Fatrat says:

Every game deemed ‘a bit hard’ seems to be likened to Dark Souls lately. Does everyone forget other (older) hard games? I would of thought a more likely game for people to link this to would be Ghouls & Ghosts?

I would say Strider, but i don’t think i’d find many (or any) platformers as hard as that. :(

• smeaa mario says:

Even though I pretty much hated the initial excuse for not porting DS to the PC, which was that the game remained too difficult for the taste of us PC gamers, I now believe that the difficulty is cheap at best. Just as how trjp put it.
        I should note that I will always start playing a game at the hardest possible difficulty, but the way DS gets you dying over and over again everytime you turn around a new corner does not make sense. Well, I know this is the main idea of the game, yet under these circumstances, it kind of deserves to be the benchmarking reference when it comes to ‘cheap’ difficulty.

• dE says:

Only that Dark Souls isn’t cheap difficulty.
          After seeing the grudge people are holding against it, I’m now however a firm believer that a lot of people grossly overestimated their own ability when they asked for a hardcore game. Somehow there is a paradigm of difficulty being purely a numbers puzzle that is solved by the ardent use of quick-load and bashing the numbers together until they fit. If you’re trying that in Dark Souls you’re missing the entire point of it, by a mile or two. And yes, then the path to the bosses will seem like pointless exercises.

There are one or two cheap spots in Dark Souls (namely the Archers in Anor Londo, the Capra Demon and the Bed of Chaos) but the majority of it is cleverly designed to be a fair challenge. It’s a game about exploration and wits in which, for some reason, people try to not explore and instead drill their skull through a wall. And if that don’t work, they go grind to make the skull harder. I’m not surprised though, it’s exactly the behaviour level scaling and quickloading trains in people. I love me some quickload but it does make challenges a case of number bashing.
          (if you insist its cheap deaths all around, please provide a specific example and I’ll happily respond to that).

• Fatrat says:

I agree with this. If you play Dark Souls for a while, you improve vastly as a player and the first areas/bosses that once seemed hard, will be extremely trivial. This is the sign that the game isn’t cheap, you just improve as a player because that’s your only option (short of grinding souls for levels).

Also, one other cheap moment (*SPOILER*). The big ice boss that kills you and portals you into the jail in Dukes Archives. But at least it’s not something you need to face more than once. :p

• aepervius says:

I will tell you why DS is *cheap* diffculty. There are an enormous amount of palce, where if you are not aware of a trap, of a spawn, of an enemy hiding behind a corner, of a snipper above a dexterity puzzle, you will *die*. No matter how good you are. It is only by trial and error that you come to the solution, that you know enemy placement, and that you see their weakness. That “trial and error” process does not make it a hard game (as in needing you dexterity and intelligence) that makes it a cheap game (as in requiring to try again after the surprise effect worn off). I haven’t met anything in darksoul which I could not beat up, knowing about it in advance. I have on the other hand met my demise at a lot of “surprise”. *that* where is the cheap comes from.

ETA: and if you were restarting from not far away that would be fine. But some of those puzzle with insta death make you restart from very very far away with all enemy respawned and the puzzle back again. It is again not hard, it is cheap and intentionally time consuming. Not hard.

• dE says:

aepervius, please use a specific example, instead of a general “everywhere”. To your everywhere, I’m more than willing to reply: False.
            Maybe you aren’t paying enough attention though? Not meant as an insult, but every trap, every attack is telegraphed from a mile away (with only a small handful of exceptions). Dark Souls punishes the impatient and unobservant.

Maybe your issue is with hollows climbing up the side of a wall to swarm you? Well you can see them hanging there in plain sight before you walk into it. And even moments before the trap is sprung, you can see their hands on the wall.

Maybe your issue is with the mimic chests? Well they’re bloody breathing, they are a darker color and their chain is different. Harder to spot but quite possible.

Maybe your issue is with the few actual traps? Well the first one in the tutorial, you can see the iron ball long before you walk up that stairway and trigger it. The one on the way to the Minotaur, you can once again see long before you go there. And that one is also easily dodged as it is very slow and you can run forward and jump down to the left, or you can run back a step. Or the traps in Sen’s Fortress? They’re triggered by floor plates which are actually quite noticeable.

Maybe your issue is with the bosses? Well are you prepared? You should be, since you have plenty of warnings it’s about to happen. Not least of all the fog walls are a giveaway. Not every fog wall equals a boss but they always mark a difference in difficulty.

Maybe your issue is with invasions? Well, play offline, yank the internet cord or use an offline Profile. And stay hollow.

If you’re not aware there are enemies, it is because you weren’t observant. Enemies do not spawn out of nowhere. Only Invaders do that.

• noom says:

I thought it was “cheap” the first time I played it too.

By this point I’ve completed it four times and rank it amongst the greatest games I’ve ever played.

• UmmonTL says:

I used Dark Souls as a comparison because it is in recent memory for many people. Also a lot of people have issues wih it that are similar to the problems in the review, hard to beat enemies, fighting your way through the same area over and over, etc.

Faldrath says:

Even the RPS reviews are somewhat similar in structure (Adam used the “You Died” screenie plenty of times). I really don’t understand why all the pointless running back in Dark Souls gets a free pass from most people. Nathan summed it up perfectly:

” I have to battle through the bits I’ve already proven I can beat countless times, because seriously, who still designs games like this? Who? And why? This isn’t difficulty. Real difficulty is interesting. Real difficulty makes me think. Real difficulty is well-designed, tough-but-fair levels. This is just padding. You’re forcing thick slabs of meaningless fat down my throat, and I want to throw it all back up.”

• Toberoth says:

But the thing with Dark Souls is that if you keep failing at one particular area, you can go and do something else; and as an added bonus, even if you keep hacking your way through one sequence of enemies to get to the boss (who you then die on) you gain a bunch of souls, which you can use to level up your character and thereby have a better chance of defeating the boss. Dark Souls can be as grindy as you make it, but it’s never pointless grind. This game sounds like you just die all the time and have to repeat sequences without any real incentive to do so.

Faldrath says:

A fair point regarding Dark Souls, but I still think it’s bad design to *force* you to rethread old ground. I wouldn’t mind if it were an optional thing: choose to respawn on a previous checkpoint if you feel you’re not ready yet for the thing that killed you, or respawn right at it if you think you can take it.

• UmmonTL says:

I don’t disagree completely but the retreading of ground in Dark Souls is clearly a design decision. They want deaths to be punishing and part of the challenge of a boss are the enemies that soften you up beforehand. This also plays into the whole kindling bonfires to get more estus mechanic and thus into PVP/Coop.

• Ragnar says:

That’s a design fallacy, or misunderstanding, in my opinion. The idea behind punishment is the fear of death, but I’ve never feared a death because it was punishing. Immersion and character attachment create fear of death, punishment merely creates annoyance and frustration.

• Hematite says:

@Toberoth:
          I’m playing Dark Souls for the first time at the moment (and enjoying it), but I’ve just hit the swamp at the bottom of blight town and it’s been entirely linear so far. I know technically I could head straight into the catacombs, but the idea of doing that on your first playthrough with base weapons and armour is pretty laughable.

Also, as I know from extensive testing, collecting souls on the way to the boss is pointless because when you die they’ll all drop in the boss room and there’s no way to cash them in until you defeat the boss and can haul them back to a bonfire.

@others:
          I haven’t actually had much trouble with checkpoint distance in Dark Souls. It’s very good about letting you open up shortcuts when you make it to a new area and the direct routes between the nearest bonfire and a boss only seem to have half a dozen weak enemies on them (thinking of Taurus Demon, Gargoyles, Capra Demon and Gaping Dragon off the top of my head) – the walking time is more annoying than the combat.

Something which I didn’t understand before I played is that the combat is unforgiving, but also fairly slowly paced and ‘solvable’. Each enemy type has three or four different attack types and being able to identify and appropriately counter each attack is all you need to win. Blocking with a shield and then attacking when they bounce off is almost always appropriate, but fast attacking to interrupt their slow attack, kicking to break their block or a well timed parry-counter will have the fight over in moments. No twitch required, just a cool head.

• MaximKat says:

Would it change your opinion on the linearity of the game it I told you that you can skip Taurus Demon, Carpa Demon and Gaping Dragon (together with the entire Depths area) completely?

4. trjp says:

It’s worth noting that the first half-to-two-thirds isn’t in any way hard – but like all games of this type, it does turn-up the demands a bit towards the end.

The thing is tho, at it’s heart it’s completely insane – visually staggering and just a joy to be part of.

I said, when SMB came out, that it’s “back in action instantly when you die” thing would spoil all other platformers and it has. By comparison, this has lazy checkpointing, forcibly repeated conversations and other things which slow-down the onslaught

BUT

It’s also got charm and style and an actual ‘game’ which are missing from SMB entirely. There’s more to this than ‘dying a lot as you make gradual progress’ and, at least visually, it’s ahead of anything else I’ve ever played.

People kept going-on about Fly’n – about how pretty it was etc. – but as a game is felt quite dead wheras this is not only more striking (horses for courses there) but also feels like it was made by people with a pulse…

• KDR_11k says:

Pretty much all of the jokes fell flat for me, running at the level where you know it’s funny but not enough to actually laugh.

5. MikoSquiz says:

I didn’t mind the checkpointing, I quite liked the minigames, I thought the walking-around controls were good enough.. but riding around in the vehicle thing with the weapons felt awkward and vague, and I wanted to have weapons while walking around. They got that backwards.

Just like with Binding of Isaac, I liked everything *else* about the game, but the moving and shooting that are 90% of the thing weren’t good enough to make it all worthwhile for me.

6. RevStu says:

There are keyboard controls? Good heavens, what sort of maniac would be trying to play this game with keyboard controls?

• trjp says:

That

I’m guessing the same people who, on this very forum, tried to argue that their Razitech WangZlasher Z keyboard is better at fighting games than a joystick tho…

• KDR_11k says:

The only thing that absolutely doesn’t work with the keyboard are those stupid stunts. I think Nathan was just very bad at the game.

I don’t know what the reason was (some warning appearing?) but I knew on my first try of the bee game that I had to stop when the bee is looking. However it repeats the minigames and not always in ways that make sense (e.g. squeezing a slime makes sense but some of the others that you finish with squeeze just don’t fit)

RobF says:

They don’t work that well with the controller either. They’re a bit shit, really.

• Cheebahh says:

They work perfectly fine on the controller, it was made for it.

It literally says “STEAL HIS HONEY” under the bee minigame, and he immediately turns his back to allow you.

If you found it hard/frustrating it sounds like you went in with a bad frame of mind and just didn’t pay attention.

7. povu says:

Apparently SEGA is taking down most footage of their games on youtube with copyright claims. Totalbiscuit’s first impression of this game is gone now. And he was very positive about this game.

• RevStu says:

I wondered what had happened to that. I saw people talking about it, but when I tried to find it it was marked private. Sega must be complete fucking idiots.

• Baines says:

Sega sent takedown notices to anything that included Shining Force video, in a blanket effort to remove, well, anything and everything involving Shining Force from YouTube.

Some people have said that even some videos that just *talked* about Shining Force, without any game footage, were taken down.

Others have said it is a bit more random, where someone with multiple Shining Force videos would have only a few flagged and the others ignored.

Sega has done so much stupidity over the years, I’m seriously considering being done with them. I so very much wish that PlatinumGames had never hooked up with Sega. (I wonder if PlatinumGames is feeling any regrets themselves, considering they had to get Nintendo to step in to fund Bayonetta 2, and the US release of Max Anarchy got a one year delay because Sega decided to wait a year to release it.)

• TaroYamada says:

The takedowns came out of Sega of Japan and it’s believed to be the lead designer of the newer, shit, Shining Force games who literally has posted tweets before about how much he despises the old Shining Force fanbase. Still, I imagine it will be resolved.

As for PlatinumGames, don’t be foolish, SEGA gave platinum the opportunity they wouldn’t get anywhere else. Bayonetta 2 was partially funded by SEGA, Nintendo picked it up because production had started already and it was a cheaper prospect for them after having SEGA eat some of the earlier costs. Furthermore, they really need core exclusives. You’ll notice the new, original IP, that Nintendo is making with PlatinumGames (Wonderful 101), has a much lower budget. It is not a big AAA experience like SEGA was funding.

Platinum’s titles performed poorly for SEGA and Capcom (when they were known as Clover Studios, and were owned wholly by Capcom). They make absolutely fantastic games, but the mass market appeal isn’t really there in any of the properties they’ve developed thus far. Overall, I’m appreciative that SEGA took the risk, even though just about everybody knew that Kamiya’s/Mikami’s games would have limited appeal.

• aepervius says:

I can udnerstand a let’s play being removed, but something like “WTF is” is arguably under the umbrela of fair use in the DMCA, similar to review and academia usage.

8. RevStu says:

Just one objection, by the way:

“As per always, my bunny prince heart is nearly flatlining thanks to an awful checkpoint”

Er, no – due to you getting hit by stuff. Bad checkpoints don’t cost you energy, being rubbish at avoiding enemies does.

9. boe2 says:

Come on now. I finished Hell Yeah. While I definitely enjoyed the game, it was never very difficult.
    The only frustrating part was where I had to snipe an amount of flying things out of the sky with almost zero visibility with a time limit. The first bossfight turns out to be the most difficult one, it only got easier from then on.

10. Radiant says:

Yeah this is an ok game but nowhere near as good as people [who incidentally know people who worked on the game] are saying it is.

• RevStu says:

Which people are those, out of curiosity?

• Radiant says:

That was tweeted talking about the connection to yourself [If I remember correctly]. It’s also the preview that got me to buy the game.
        A bunch of other tweets also said that this was worked on by you and that it was brilliant.

Hi Stu.
        Restart free app hero please.

• RevStu says:

I’ve never met, or communicated in any way with, Christian Donlan in my life. As for the rest of Hookshot’s staff, I think I might have briefly met Will Porter once many years ago when I freelanced for PC Zone, but that’s it.

11. YohnTheViking says:

I wouldn’t say Nathan got anything wrong, because it’s an opinion piece like any review thus nothing is really wrong, but there is a bit missing here. Hell Yeah! is not a game for long playsessions, it’s a game for short bursts until such a time as it gets on your nerves. Every single bad review I read for this game talked about how drawn out it got, and all of those reviewers were seemingly playing the game in fairly large chunks. So yeah, small warning to anyone looking into the game.

Also, the game is completely fucking bonkers, as with anything bonkers it has to be so in a way that’s right for you or it will simply come off as stupid. Giantbomb’s quick look is still available if you want to have a look at what type of bonkers it is.

• Toberoth says:

I sure love playing games that get on my nerves. But yes it’s a good point that the experience of a reviewer who has to play the game in extended sessions in order to get finished for deadlines is bound to be different from the experience of a player who can dip in and out of the game over time.

• RevStu says:

In fairness, Hell Yeah! has been out for two full months now.

12. Burgmond says:

I found all the little quick-time events after you run into someone for 80,000,000 years a bit cute. Also I didn’t know a game couldn’t take ITSELF seriously until I played this. Kudos to Sega™(and Arkedo)!

13. Tamath says:

Usually I agree wholly or in part with RPS reviews, but I actually enjoyed Hell Yeah!. I won’t pretend it’s perfect, but for the price I got more than my money’s worth of entertainment, and I spent very little time being angry with the game. It very rarely felt like it wasn’t my fault, with one exception being, as someone else pointed out, a minigame involving sniping enemies with almost zero visibility and a pretty stringent time limit. I’m sure there are a couple others but none come to mind, and I do remember being very positive about the game.

It’s horses for courses, I guess. I haven’t bought XCOM (boo, hiss) because I could tell from the demo that I would find being screwed over by the RNG from misses and crits horribly, horribly frustrating, yet that received glowing reviews from everybody. I’m not saying the game doesn’t deserve its praise, quite the contrary, but not for me. Meanwhile the difficulty described in this review meshes well with my “I lost too many childhood hours to Battletoads and Ghouls N’ Ghosts and you better believe I happily died 11,000 times to 100% Super Meat Boy” sensibilities, and as a result I bought the game on release and enjoyed it.

14. Kdansky says:

Played the demo. It’s like Super Meat Boy with worse controls, worse checkpoints, and annoying minigames. Hell No.

• RevStu says:

It’s as much like Super Meat Boy as it is like Pac-Man.

• antoniodamala says:

Kdansky is right. Is pretty much that. Also I’m 100% sure people are forgiving this game because of the jokes and beautiful animation.

darkChozo says:

Except… it’s nothing like Super Meat Boy? I mean, they’re both platformers, but they’re otherwise very different games. Super Meat Boy is a precision platformer with fast, slidey controls, linear progression, and a level-based structure, while Hell Yeah is a vaguely Metroidvania-y adventure platformer with slightly floaty jumping, no sliding, and an emphasis on exploration of open areas. Regardless of your opinion on either, they’re pretty much apples and oranges besides being platformers.