Not Royal Baby News: GODUS Prototype Within Weeks?

By Alec Meer on December 3rd, 2012 at 8:00 pm.

Pants on fire?

Royal Baby pregnant Kate royal pregnancy future king future queen the stallion that will mount the world Kate and William baby pregnant baby royal pregnant baby royal baby pregnancy.

Right that should get us the SEO hits, now let’s have some news about Peter Molyneux. His studio 22 Can’s divisive Project GODUS Kickstarter hasn’t set the crowd-funding world on fire to the degree he perhaps hoped – whether that’s because humanity has finally tired of his grand promises, of Kickstarted games or because the original pitch was so loose I can only guess. Now he’s saying there could be a playable prototype before the month is out, which would shake things up enormously (er, presuming it’s any good).

Chatting to Joystiq, the former king of Bullfrog and face of/fall guy for Curiosity: What’s Inside The Cube claimed that “I hope by Christmas we have a prototype that people can download and say, ‘Actually, you know what, they’re already doing good work.’”

He added that “And this is what needs to happen with Kickstarter and games,” which does seem a bit rich given the superficiality of GODUS’ initial call for alms. And, because any comment by Peter Molyneux wouldn’t be a comment by Peter Molyneux if it didn’t have something to do with promises, he argued that “These promises have to result in great games… Wouldn’t it be amusing if I was the one to prove this right?”

I would like to formally apologise to Joystiq for taking essentially the entirety of their quote. I’m sorry. It was a good quote, you see. Read Joystiq! Then come and read some more RPS.

Anyway, I’ve bought some new salt specially to pinch away at as I write this. It would be jolly nice if a GODUS prototype did appear, and demonstrated ideas rather than just an environment you can move a camera around in, but the timeframe seems pretty tight. Then again, at £193k GODUS isn’t even halfway towards its £450k Kickstarter goal yet, so it may need to move hell and high water if it’s to pull it off within the 18 days remaining.

Kate Middleton Prince William royal baby Prince Philip’s the real father duke and duchess of cambridge royal pregnant

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Dark Nexus says:

A decent prototype might – might – get me to back this.

• Captchist says:

A decent prototype might make me watch a decent prototype. When the game comes out if it’s good I can buy it. Kickstarting for me is for things I would love to see that wouldn’t be made otherwise.

This is getting made regardless.

• utharda says:

Much like star wars episodes 1-3. this is getting made even if we don’t want it.

• Dark Nexus says:

Kickstarting for me is for things that I want to see made, regardless of if a successful Kickstarter is the only way they get made or not.

• Yglorba says:

Sure, but I can buy the argument that it might be made better or more expansively if they have no-strings-attached funding.

(Not that I’m saying that’s necessarily the case — but it’s at least a valid argument.)

• Xocrates says:

“This is getting made regardless”

Where did you get that idea? They said multiple times that they need the kickstarter to succeed to make the game. This might be because they actually need the money, or because they would deem a failed kickstarter as a sign that there wouldn’t be a large enough audience, or any other reason, but that’s irrelevant.

If it was “getting made regardless” it’s doubtful they would go for kickstarter so soon.

• Captchist says:

Don’t agree. Putting your game on kickstarter is a PR opportunity which is worth doing even if you have the money nowadays so long as you aren’t making a AAA

• S Jay says:

Maybe both of you are right, but if my Kickstarter failed, I would have to be very delusional to still think people wanted it really bad.

I believe Molineux is quite smart, if the Kickstarter fail, he will take the hint and not make the game.

Anyway, I am not pledging. I am not impressed with the design ideas they released in the updated. Even less impressed with so many mentions of Black & White, which I thought was a pretty lame game.

• Groove says:

I’m happy to buy this game when it comes out, if it’s any good, but I wouldn’t kickstart it.

I only kickstart things that I’m so desperate to have made that I’m willing to accept the risks involved. Whether it’s simply an amazing(/rare) idea or a creator that I’ve loved universally in the past, it’s all the same. How likely the product is to get made anyway doesn’t matter to me, just if I definitely want the end product, regardless of how it turns out.

2. Lambchops says:

Never mind the real father, my money is on Pippa Middleton being the real mother,

3. Flipao says:

That man will say anything to fill his wallet.

4. bikkebakke says:

I wouldn’t worry too much about them not achieving their goal. Many games get half their fund at the last 72 hours, Sui Generis as an example. So there is still 17 days left, they are saying they got a demo for the end of the month so I think they can pull this off.

But I am not sure if I will pledge or not, Molyneux has somewhat disappointed me in the later years. B&W(1/2) and Popoulus 3, those are the games that I really love but he has just gone downwards on all the others. Well he did ruin B&W2 by not having more monsters and just the story campaign and nothings else -.- but I still loved it… So I’m not sure, I know he can produce really good games but will this be one of them or will it be a disappointment.

• UsF says:

B&W1 was great in my opinion. The second one was sort of ruined because of a lack of skirmish, multiplayer (which was hyped on the forum and never released) as well as showing every thought for your creature, essentially turning him into a programable robot, instead of something that you have to watch and make guesses at as you educate him.

5. obvioustroll says:

Speaking of gaming royalty, will the big queen Keiron Gillen be coming onto the site to give some thoughts on this year’s gaming?

6. Discopanda says:

I’m just sick of Peter Molyneux. I was with him until that Fable III ending, where it jumped ahead 150 days and locked me into the final confrontation with no money. That is the only time that a game has filled me with PURE UNADULTERATED RAGE.

Edit: Oh, and Curiosity is pretty stupid. Didn’t earn back my love with that!

• Slinkyboy says:

Did he also make Fable II? Game was okay but dat ending pissed me off. I refused to buy any game named fable. Now I refuse to buy any game with Peter Molyneux involved hehehehe!!

• Hoaxfish says:

I’d still give him the time of day, but I wouldn’t pre-order his next game.

I still enjoyed Fable, even if it didn’t have every promise, and I’d still take Molyneux over a lot of other people in AAA development.

• frightlever says:

I ended Fable 3 sitting on a massive mountain of cash. I had so much money I was beating enemy troops by throwing piles of money at them and then afterwards I set up a charity to look after them and their families.

I don’t get how not managing your money during the game means the game sucks. Or maybe it did. I have bought Fable novelizations (meh) so I’ve pretty much drunk the kool-aid.

However, Kickstarting a new game while your last game is still bobbing in a lake of disaster seems like monumental hubris.

7. PillowBlaster says:

I just registered an account to say this… well, I was never fond of Populous, but I personally love Dungeon Keeper to boot (I still play on original CD, good grief that it still launches with all those scratches from countless hours of playing), and I would really, really love to see next instalment of it. It would be propably the only game I’d ever bother to fund a kickstarter of it’s sequel. But I guess he doesn’t hold the rights to it now, is he?

• Dark Nexus says:

I believe EA still holds the rights to the Dungeon Keeper series.

• RogB says:

shhhh – be vewwy qwiet

EA might be listening, and you dont want them to do a remake, as they REALLY dont care about the original fans. Look at the recent Theme Park remake on IOS. Watered down (nonexistant?) game, chock full of microtransactions. i’d rather have none at all

• Dark Nexus says:

Oh, they’re way ahead of you on that:

• El_Emmental says:

That’s not even remotely related to Dungeon Keeper, EA shamelessly licenced the IP to a chinese company making cheap MMORPG clones after clones (relying on the “NEW GAME !” marketing effect to make a living), convincing them that it was a “cult” and popular IP for westerners, thus a good thing to use as a cheap excuse to make yet another clone of their 10 previous MMORPGs.

The only thing they kept is a few character models, the rest is just straight out from their MMORPG clone-making factory.

• Phantoon says:

I suppose that’s the funny nature of these things.

Chinese MMOs make Call of Duty look innovative, as it only comes out once a year.

• Museli says:

Check out the Kickstarter for War for the Overworld – it resembles but is legally distinct from Dungeon Keeper. :)

• Phantoon says:

Look, you missed the most important part. Richard Riding narrates part of the Kickstarter, and if they make it to 225k he’ll narrate the entire game.

• belgand says:

Another slightly more awkward option is to consider the board game Dungeon Lords. It’s essentially a board game version of Dungeon Keeper and does an excellent job of maintaining the same sense of humour.

8. Crainey says:

I read the first few lines, checked I wasn’t on The Sun then continued, I did chuckle. Well played.

Funny how they will have a prototype ready so soon yet the original pitch left us guessing if this was From Dust 2 or The Dreaded Return of Dear Esther. Anyway, if the Prototype is any good I imagine it’ll take the pledge-o-meter past the goal. I guess they were holding back on us a little.

9. Hoaxfish says:

he’s saying there could be a playable prototype before the month is out

There isn’t a month left of the kickstarter

10. Arcanon says:

The kickstarter will be over by that time…..why can’t we at least get some gameplay videos before throwing our money at the screen? Are they afraid actual ingame footage will generate less support than pure hype and speculation? What does that say about the game?
    Or is the game in pre-pre-pre alpha and any content shown to us wouldn’t be final anyway so why bother? But if that’s the case, why release a prototype 2 weeks after the end of fundraising?

I’ll buy it after release…..maybe.

11. Azhrarn says:

It’s still Peter Molyneux I suppose. Master of Hype, still terrible at delivering.
    I really hope this Kickstarter doesn’t make it to be honest.

Yes that might mean a few sacked devs (from a rather large company I might add, this is probably the least indy company to kickstart a game), but it needs to happen to take the man down a peg or three.

I still don’t get how anyone can trust a word of what the man says these days.
    Always over-promising and under-delivering and then shifting the blame when they come to ask him about his failure to deliver.

Yes he made some rather nice games in the past, but he hasn’t been at the helm of anything good in years, do we even know if he still has that touch, or is it just pure Hype Machine these days.

• Ich Will says:

If you think 20 employees is a large for the industry, you are entirely ignorant or mad! I’ve worked on projects where the animation department for one of the five games they are developing is bigger! And the company was hardly an industry giant either (Climax).

Also, as every one of those 20 employees has left traditional publisher – studio type jobs to join this company which was set up with the very notion to be independent, I would argue that they are far more indie than most kickstarters, many of whom would literally sell their souls to get their games published by someone like EA.

12. Andy_Panthro says:

Just checked Kicktraq ( http://www.kicktraq.com/ ) to see how GODUS was doing, and noticed “FPS Russia: The Game”. I only know FPS Russia by reputation, but any comment from any of the good folks here?

A bit more on topic, I never played Populous, so I’m not really sure if I should be excited for GODUS or not. I did play Black & White though, which is probably why I haven’t backed it.

A better “God game” that is fit for a comeback is surely “Mega-Lo-Mania” (AKA Tyrants in some places): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ngyx4jIg4nU

• KevinLew says:

I have no idea why anybody would want to make a game about FPS Russia. But the amount of funding he’s received is unbelievably staggering. In any case, I think it’s rather shameless to ask viewers to pay him so he can create a video game about himself shooting and blowing up stuff. It’s like finding out that the Double Fine Adventure game stars Tim Schafer as the main character.

• Saiko Kila says:

I don’t know… I remember both Populous and Mega-Lo-Mania from my Amiga times, and if I had to choose I would take Populous, because I loved that game significantly more. Maybe because it was cooler to be a god-prankster than to be a god-general. Another similar and good game I remember from that period is Powermonger, but I preferred Populous still.

13. Yosharian says:

17 days to go and nearly halfway there, are we REALLY worried about this?

• Torn says:

I don’t think it’ll hit target, tbh.

• Lanfranc says:

Needs ca. £15,000 a day on average to make it, and the numbers aren’t looking like anything near that right now.

• Salt says:

You are correct, but it’s quite common to see a burst of pledges in the final days of a project, especially if it’s not quite at the target. For instance Maia made a huge amount in its last days.
        Maia was certainly helped by some focused internet campaigning in those days, but it’s a general pattern seen often. Even the biggest projects that were well past their target like Wasteland 2, Double Fine Adventure and Star Citizen had considerable bursts of pledges in the last few days.

• aepervius says:

Whereas it is true that KS project get a boost at the end , Maia got a huge advertising boost on the last days by total biscuit.

Also there is a lot of trouble on peter’s reputation to “not deliver”.

14. Rikard Peterson says:

I find it funny how people’s reactions to Kickstarters are so extremely assertive on how these things should be run (and what kinds of projects Kickstarter “is for”), while at the same time being completely contradictory.

15. The First Door says:

While it’s great to hear he is talking about a prototype, why didn’t they just spend a month making one before publishing the Kickstarter? I understand that costs money, but if you are asking other people for so much money you really should stump up some yourself to start off with.

• Sleepymatt says:

This.. SOOOOO this. Especially as the people making the prototype now are not being paid from the Kickstarter while they make it anyway.

• tims says:

Also why bother telling people there will be a prototype before there is a prototype? Every time he wants to tell people things, he shouldn’t.

• Brise Bonbons says:

I’ve come to think these industry vets are pitching to Kick Starter the same way they’d pitch to a big publisher: Define their target market and genre by calling back to successful games, throw out a couple mockup screens, bullet point some features, and finally talk a bit about budget and time frame. I get the impression detail beyond this is at risk of bogging down the pitch. Again, when dealing with publishers.

On the other hand players want details, prototypes, ideally something playable. And if I’m not mistaken most developers don’t get into that stage of R&D until much later in the development process – after funding is in place.

16. Gaff says:

+1 Internets for “stallion that will mount the world”.

17. Lethys says:

I don’t know why people dislike him. Hyping good games as perfect ones is not a reason to dislike someone, as everyone does him. He doesn’t make many bad games. Dungeon Keeper, Populous, Theme Hospital and all the sequels to those games are amazing, Populous was genre-creating. Black and White, I don’t care what anyone says, that game was so much fun. Teaching your creature to perform miracles was so rewarding, and it was also a very tough game. Unfortunately it had a very difficult bug in the last world that made it really hard to beat, but the other levels were incredibly good.

And Fable, The Movies, Black and White 2, and Fable 2 were all good games. I certainly had fun. Over-hyped, certainly, (some more than others) but which developer doesn’t over-hype their games. I hear about every game being the best nowadays before it’s released…it’s advertising. And yes, Fable 3 was particularly bad. I’m excited for Godus and hope it gets its money because I do believe it will be a nice fusion of old and new. I don’t give to Kickstarter because I simply don’t have the money to give, but I certainly hope it meets its goal.

18. The Random One says:

I came here by googling how babies are formed and this article has not helped elucidate my problem at all. Does this Molyneux person need to make prototype babies? JUST LET ME LOG INTO FACEBOOK

19. TehK says:

Peter Molyneux, huh… well… he didn’t deliver since Dungeon Keeper, I guess. I wasn’t interested in the Fable games and we don’t need to talk about the whole Black&White stuff, do we?

But somehow I’m glad, that there’s someone around in that industry who has these crazy ideas and visions and who gets really excited about them. Although I know a lot of it is probably just hype, I like this guy. :)

20. derella says:

I hope it gets funded. That is all :)

21. Lionmaruu says:

oh boy, you actually was the first one to tell me about this royal baby! not that I’m British, or care… but… Thanks, I guess…

22. CelticPixel says:

As far as the game itself is concerned, I really want to back Godus. I don’t care about lofty promises, just give me a modern, beautifully styled god game, and I’m really excited by what I’ve seen so far, but their Curiosity experiment doesn’t sit right with me. Not because of any server nonsense, but because I think it’s a horrible experiment in exploitative ‘digital crack’ grind gaming. I could be completely wrong, but this is how I feel, and sadly I don’t feel comfortable supporting the studio.

• Brise Bonbons says:

I’m sort of in the same boat, as I love its visual flair and it would warm my heart for Molyneux to redeem himself.

However, I won’t back it without more gameplay specifics. These management/strategy games are so easy to get wrong – a poorly conceived abstraction here, a misjudged streamlining of the simulation there, and suddenly you have the difference between Endless Space(“it’s pretty OK”) and MOO2(“Holy Jebus”). Not to mention the huge importance of basic choices such as scale and what the player is actually given control of.

A prototype would help, certainly.

23. Hunchback says:

Hope this works out as they want it to, so that people can get some faith back in Molyneux

Comment on this story