City Of Heroes: A Farewell To Superarms

By Alec Meer on December 4th, 2012 at 12:55 pm.

Fuck, I actually sobbed when I found this old shot

I left him in there to die. I wish I’d at least taken one last screenshot. I thought I didn’t care, but now it hurts like hell. He’s gone forever.

City of Heroes has gone to great server in the sky, despite the best efforts of its community, and with it goes my beloved character The Entomologist. I’ve left countless characters on countless servers in countless online games, both still alive and long-axed, but they mean nothing to me. Even the several years poured into Samsa, my gnome rogue in World of Warcraft, will bring no regret if ever Blizzard’s giant topples.

City of Heroes and my diminutive superman The Entomologist is a different matter. All of four foot high, red-caped, Hulk-bodied, cute blue booties, a garishly gigantic yellow E on his obsidian chest and the ability to leap tall buildings in a single bound. The world’s worst secret identity too: see if you can spot The Entomologist hiding in this image:

Beautiful, heroic, ludicrous Ento. The perfect hybrid of my youthful enthusiasm for superheroes and my adult inability to take soft sci-fi particularly seriously. Painstakingly customised and re-customised over months of play, agonising choices between different types of shoe and the right length of cape – getting him just right, meeting some unknown agenda in my head and, against all odds, eventually satisfying it.

Ento was the one MMO character I ever cared about, the only one who meant something and seemed in some small, absurd way to represent me – not a lot, but a little, and in videogame character terms a little is a lot. The City of Heroes has been closed down forever, and so The Entomologist is dead. Does he still exist on some dusty server, or have the bytes that made him been wiped forever? It doesn’t matter. There’ll be no Jean Gray resurrection for him.

I’ve known The Entomoogist for almost ten years, and he he proved such an easy fit into my online existence that half of my usernames across the web are ‘ento’. Indeed, that’s the handle I’m using in the super-secret RPS staff chatroom even as I write this.

I didn’t take the opportunity to go back into City of Heroes once I heard it was closing. Partly I just couldn’t be bothered – I know full well I’d already exhausted what NCSoft’s virtual world of superheroes had to offer me and in general I am now so weary of the rat-maze pursuit of stats and items so many MMOs hinge upon.

Partly, though, it just seemed too sad. Sure, I could pop in to see dear Ento one more time, but what then? Forlornly bouncing around rooftops on my own? Beating up a few thugs for old time’s sake but no possible purpose? It’d be taking a dying dog for one last, painful walk before he was put down. Sad. A dim and tragic echo of what once was, and overwriting happy, earlier memories with those final, despondent ones.

So I left him there. He’s gone, and I wish I’d seen him one more time. Maybe taken one last, ultra-high resolution screenshot, pulling the crab most muscular atop Paragon City’s tallest skyscraper. Maybe, yes, just super-bounded about for a bit – not forlornly, but relishing how well City of Heroes realised its travel powers.

I miss Ento. But that there’d been some way to export him, keep him in some virtual box to visit when I pleased. Oh, for a 3D printer over the last couple of weeks – a permanent desktop micro-statue of my micro-superman.

Heck, I even earned money from the little guy. Back in my freelance days I was often commissioned to write about City of Heroes, but whenever I did it always ended up being about Ento.

A second-rate clone of The Entomologist still lives in Champions Online – very similar looking indeed, but nonetheless an impersonator, and one who prowled the streets of a far less magnetic game. Perhaps that’s not entirely fair – after all, much of the reason Ento means so much to me is because City of Heroes was the first MMO I ever put serious time into. He cleaned the mean streets in the noble company of Jim ‘Andov’ Rossignol, Kieron ‘Warwych’ Gillen and John ‘rubbish healer’ Walker – the RPS team before it was the RPS team, each playing the roles we’d eventually take on the site.

Rock-like but infuriatingly silent Jim, determined to rule but haphazard Kieron, aid-through-anger John and flighty, all over the place me. We built something there in Paragon City, and though we never went back (much as we always talked about it) we all know it meant something. We crafted our own legends, and they stuck. The right game at the right time – before MMOs declined to leave their well-worn rut, when there seemed to be so much promise from these virtual worlds, where every other pub conversation was ‘wouldn’t it be great if there was an MMO of concept x or license y?’

Perhaps I am simply misty-eyed about my first time, and had Champions or another game arrived first I’d be saying similar things about those now. I suspect not, though. There was an innocence to City of Heroes’ early days that I don’t feel I’ve seen since – far more focus on playing dress-up and having a jolly time than on the mastery of mechanics or pursuit of statistics.

Even now, for all its own failings, abandonment of those initial principles of liberty and its miserable demise, City of Heroes still seems like a signpost to what MMOs could and should have become. Precious few chose to follow that sign, least of all City of Heroes itself. Still, for a time it shone so much brighter than any of its peers and I shall now place it upon a pedestal with no regrets.

An innocent hero for an innocent time. The Entomologist will never and can never be replaced, and I’m grateful for that.

So maybe I don’t need that one last screenshot after all. Better to die now than be worn away to nothing.

, , , .

Faldrath says:

/salute

The screenie with books left me curious, though. What is that about? (I never played CoH)

• Kal says:

It was one of many brilliant emotes.

• karengossage6 says:

@Loise, you make $3Oh…good for you! I make up to $73h working from home. My story is that I quit working at shoprite to work online and with a little effort I easily bring in around $42h to $85h…heres a good example of what i’m doing..www.Google.MEL7.CoM

• kansdmwb says:

Bluetooth Keyboard Case for iPhone5-Ultra-thin Slide-out Wireless Keyboard for iPhone 5! I gave my 12-year-old children gifts at Christmas! We think that how? I’m like, I hope that my children like! Really great! http://800wx.com/a9

2. El_Emmental says:

No More (Super)Heroes…

(ps: nice antennas)

3. Jim Rossignol says:

My black and yellow tanker, went with him, too. I still use the handle in online games now.

4. Banana_Republic says:

I tip my own glass to Helionox Huntress, the villain I leave behind. No one will ever rain fiery death down on a hapless populace with the same style and panache again.

5. InternetBatman says:

Thuggy Bear, my gang leader is also gone. RIP. I wish they would release the source if they’re shutting down the game.

6. sonofsanta says:

The lost innocence of misbegotten youth.

I suspect much of the sentimentality here – and I could be similar about my Eve account – is just that you played this game at a time of life you mourn for now. The four of you running about on a nightly basis, creating stories and biffing villains. And in the game.

But alas, such times are beyond us now, and our adult lives must needs be prioritised. And so the accounts lapse, the timecodes expire, and the world moves on.

sadface :(

• Groove says:

Depressingly true, at least to a large degree. For me it’s the aspect of youth and actually being able to apply to an MMO in that way, along with it being the first MMO fo it’s style (and one of the first modern MMOS).

Also it was a very simple game, in that things usually did what you expected. There weren’t contrived synergies between powers, things worked together if it made sense. After gaining the power of flight I fought a horrible kung-fu based boss by myself by mainly hovering over his head out of range of every move but a thown chakram.

I had a power called repel which bounced people away from you whenever they came near. You could push them into the corner and they wouldn’t be able to stand up until you ran out of energy. They didn’t gain a balance-required immunity to super-powered knockback after the first one.

I had a power called wormhole, which sucked a group of enemies up and deposited them wherever I wanted. Could you use this to throw people off of skyscrapers to their doom? Of course you could.

There was a power called phase shift that let you move to a different dimension and avoid bad guys. There wasn’t a mechanic that stopped you using this to bypass high level baddies or dick around in places you shouldn’t have been. It just let you walk right past them, because that’s what made sense. Then you could teleport your entire team to you, because your powers are awesome and a group of non-combat powers could let your entire team move about with impunity.

I miss what the game was…

• Brise Bonbons says:

I think you bring up a really good point by focusing on mechanics like you do. Nostalgia and age are obviously factors in how we see these old experiences, but they exist in parallel with the last decade’s huge shift in game design attitudes.

Many modern games are so obsessed with creating a smooth and controlled game flow – keep the user’s experience within defined parameters! – that they would never allow mechanics like wormhole to exist. And these unrestricted mechanics are key to defining a consistent logic of cause and effect for a virtual world, in turn empowering us to create deeply personal narratives that also flow naturally from the game world’s own logic.

Unfortunately they also tend to open the door to exploitation and unpredictable user experiences, which makes them unwelcome in modern game design.

An anecdote: WoW beta was my introduction to MMOs, and after trying dozens of other MMORPGs in mounting frustration, I assumed that my pining for “old WoW” was just nostalgia. Then I got into DayZ and realized that while the specific mechanics were very different, it was hitting all the right notes to evoke those old WoW memories.

It wasn’t the number or type of people playing, or the size of the world, or the staying up until 5 AM that I needed, but for a game to have enough faith in me to say “here is the world with its unique rules – some harsh and some friendly – but all working like you expect without hidden limitations. I can’t guarantee you’ll always have fun, but good luck out there”.

• PopeRatzo says:

I started playing video games late. Not before the burdens of adulthood, but after. Or not really after, but because I’ve reached a point where I have control over my life and can define what my adulthood means.

I don’t have the bittersweet memories of a gaming youth, but your accounts are moving.

7. CaLe says:

The oldest .txt file I have on my computer was made just for this game.

.: Keys :.

Game
    City of Heroes
    Date Purchased
    June 25 2004 11:39
    Serial Code
    EEGG-WDLP-YU29-XRPE-4ZH6

My first real MMO experience and it was magical. I doubt I’ll ever recapture that feeling again, even though WoW did ultimately end up snatching me away from it. WoW was also pretty magical in the beginning I suppose.

8. The Tupper says:

When the game went free I spent over an hour crafting my hero, ‘Vic Twenty’, who, it was implied in the back-story blurb, had gained his superpowers through a distinctly unsavoury physical attachment to his 8-bit computer. I loved writing it and designing his silly costume and couldn’t wait to get bustin’ heads in the naked city. I’d heard a lot of good things about it.

Imagine my disappointment, therefore, to enter the game and find that it was just another clickety-click mole hunt. I never went back.

9. captainparty says:

Farewell then, Captain Party, the hero. Also Diamond Lil.

10. ChromeBallz says:

Logged in to the very first character i made, spent the last few minutes with the very first people i met in there. I’m man enough to say that i did cry for quite a bit when the dialogue popped up saying i was disconnected…

11. BooleanBob says:

So long, Senator. Unassuming septuagenarian legislator by day, hero by night. Never again will you take the statute to the street in pursuit of Justice, Liberty and Really Great PR. Many were your powers, the executive hairdo perhaps greatest of them all.

12. Medicine says:

A /salute to my old best friend Matt’s fire/ice tanker, who made for some of the best nerdy stories ever told over two twelve year olds’ packed lunches. My tales of grinding until I fell asleep in WoW somehow never felt nearly as cool.

13. Mitchk says:

I reinstalled to sit on Defiant for the last couple of hours on Saturday morning. Really quite emotional after it shut actually, I’ve been left in a spiritual and existential funk ever since. Part of it is the burn of regret I have for not taking a proper screenshot of my hero, The Pinstripe Wonder. I’d forgotten there was a proper free look camera mode where you could pan around and take screenshots, so instead I just have a bunch of shoddy screens of his top half. I remembered how to do it literally minutes after the servers shut down….fuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Anyway, it was good to at least see him for one last time – I’d spent the best part of 4 years with that guy back in the day! It’s hard to admit, but the game seemed pretty dead so it really doesn’t make business sense to keep something alive that isn’t paying for itself. I think the part of me wanting it to be saved is just nostalgia, and I probably wouldn’t play it again anyway…

14. JohnH says:

Farewell Deadly D and Fiery F. My brother and I had a load of fun with our duo of heroes back in the day, when a silly pun on the letter on your chest was enough to keep everybody happy!

15. strangeed says:

A salute to Archie’s Avengers and Rinewind. That’s a very very long time ago. I still remember the game fondly. For me, it was just the right mix of fun and stuff to do. The travel powers were awesome as well.

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Goodbye Evil Robot Lincoln, the animatronic puppet-gone-wrong who vowed to defend slavery and end freedom.

17. fabulousfurrygingerfreakbrothers says:

Fare thee well, Funkenfuhrer, the dapper Shaft-about-town with the James Brown scream. Purple pinstripes never looked so cool.

18. Belsameth says:

It was the only MMO I would semi regularly go back to and play for a couple of months.
    From the first US launch until right after they went free to play (I tried F2P, but my main was a Mastermind. Masterminds required payment).

A truly great game and well ahead of its time, despite all its shortcomings.

• Banana_Republic says:

I’ve returned to that game more often than any other. It was always my “go to” game whenever there was a lull. I’ve rarely returned to any other game after leaving it the first time.

19. matty_gibbon says:

I’d wanted to play this game ever since I tried the free 14 day trial back in the day. Only recently had I remembered about it and carved out a permanent space in my week to play. Imagine my disappointment when I visited the site to download the game, only to see the news story about its shutdown that had been posted the day before!

Still, I installed it and made a couple of characters anyway, and had a relatively good time. The draw really is the character creator more than anything else – it’s one of those games that really fires the imagination.

So farewell to Boomer Rang and RedSentinel.

I followed the savecoh effort with great interest. I think it should be pointed out that this effort still continues by the way, even though the game has been shutdown. NCSoft can still sell the IP and presumably have the game backed up somewhere so there’s always hope!

The latest effort is focussed on pitching to Disney to persuade them to make a bid for the game. Can’t say I hold out much hope for that, but for those interested take a look at http://www.savecoh.com

20. Nagisaki says:

Titan network had an XML exporter for heroes, so my energy/energy blaster lives on in my documents folder, for now, awaiting the day if (when?) the CoH servers should be reborn…

Hodge says:

Wow. I never played City Of Heroes, but that was brilliant. The anecdotes in the comments are great too, and I now feel like I’ve missed out on something really special.

22. -Spooky- says:

This was one hell of MMO, where i´ve created my most toons / twinks. What a shame to see it die. :(

23. AbyssUK says:

Farewell BlueAbyss, after surviving the toxic waste boating incident that formed you; the attacks of thousands of thugs, villians and clockwork monsters;being stamped on repeatedly by a giant snowman; crushed and drowned by a giant squid and his mates; resisted far too many alien abductions and even being reborn after the server wipe at the end of the beta.

You were finally ultimately defeated by a PFY unplugging the power cable… oh the inhumanity!

24. AJLange says:

I had altitis on this game so bad. I used the backup tool to backup about two full servers worth of characters before I finally uninstalled.

My main was Jayde Chameleon, a mutant lizard with regeneration powers. Then I had a character with video game powers, because I’m *that* kinda nerd. But villain backstories are more fun to write, even if I didn’t play villains as much. I winced when I had to delete the evil biker who got powers from the Devil (by visiting Hell, Michigan). Because I can’t let things happen without some kind of homage, his name was Hell’s Angel Summoner.

Arathain says:

Farewell to my sparking, burning, crazed companion Dr Ohm. And to the eternally optimistic and cheerful (despite soul sucking powers over the dark and howling void that waits to consume us all) Ms. Brightheart.

I’ve said it a few times now, but that game did so many good and clever things with the MMO template that have been roundly ignored ever since. Want to play with your friends, no matter the level difference? Sure. Want your missions to scale to whatever team you have available? No problem. Want to scale your own missions however you please? Go right ahead. Tank DPS Healer? Well, that works, but there’s a lot of other ways to build a team (psst, buffs and debuffs are way better than heals).

Plus, it had a combat engine that felt satisfying, and let you feel powerful from the get go, and really, really powerful by the end, while still giving you a challenge. And I disagree with Alec to some extent- I don’t think CoH ever really lost sight of what it was, at the core. Kieron once nailed it- it’s about “hitting things and looking good”. Those aspects just kept getting better over the years. Look at the later power sets, all fantastic, and at the power customisation feature, that let you colour your effects however you pleased; so, so many more character concepts worked so much better.

Lastly, a shout out to the team at Paragon Studios, for being smart, aware and responsive, full of good ideas and the humility to listen to criticism.

cpt_freakout says:

Also, the mission architect! The quadrimillion customization options! The half-working half-broken supergroup bases (and the PvP they brought)! CoH really was a gem, an MMO done very right. It’s not just about attachment to long-played characters, it was also about a friendly, engaging game that offered us a glimpse at what the genre could really do after the EQ generation, before WoW became the blueprint for absolutely everything, both the good and the bad. No one has followed in CoH’s steps, not even later superhero MMOs, and that’s the saddest part of its demise; after all this time, it was still pretty unique. I laugh when the GW2 fans talk about area downlevelling like it’s a wonderful, fresh mechanic – CoH had something better with the mentor system years ago. Funny how things turn out, I guess.

26. spleendamage says:

RIP:
    “The Strange” Doctor Zozz, Jackpot and Disco Ninja.

27. JD Ogre says:

I miss City of Heroes. But its death was inevitable once they put in the endgame raiding and gear grind (Incarnate Trials and powers), discouraging the making of alts. The move to free-to-play, and the complete destruction of balance it caused,, just made its downfall faster.

My only real regret is that I forgot to take screenshots of JustiBot-6942** before I left back in November ’11. :(

** A police robot who was an Assault Rifle/Devices Blaster (with black sides with a vertical white stripe down the middle, like the side view of an old-fashioned police car) on Freedom.

28. TormDK says:

I will miss City of Heroes.

Champions Online didn’t reach CoH’s socks.

So goodbye and fair thee well ;

Righteous Might (Broadsword/Invul scrapper – flying of course)
    Daemos Darkfury (Shadow/regen scrapper – teleporting)
    Reversed Power (kinetics defender)

Plus all the other toons I forgot about. It was fun while it lasted!

29. JuJuCam says:

I haven’t played many MMO’s, but CoH was the only one in which someone stopped on the virtual street to tell me they liked my character design and backstory. It’s also the only one in which I teamed up with someone a few levels below me who was genuinely dumbstruck by my character’s capabilities, to the point where he called his friend over to see what I could do. And this while I was at a relatively low level!

I’ve often been impressed by things or other player characters I’ve seen in MMO’s. CoH is the only time I’ve ever felt impressive.

30. Brun says:

It will be a *very* sad day when WoW shuts down and takes my druid down with it. Been playing him since the end of high school (nearly 7 years now). I know a lot of people like to hate on WoW, and they’re free to judge me as they will, but it’s difficult to play any one character (in any game) for that long and not grow attached.

31. Adekan says:

Even though I’ve spent years of my life logged into one online game or another, I don’t think I would ever be terribly saddened were any of them to shut down, taking my characters with them. Even though I spent 5+ years on Everquest.

I took the best parts of the game with me when I left, which were the friends I made along the way. I look back upon the moments spent with friends doing utterly stupid things with fondness but have little regard for the avatar I used to enact them.

oceanclub says:

“far more focus on playing dress-up and having a jolly time than on the mastery of mechanics”

You’ve touched on why I feel hugely nostalgic for COH even though its 7 years since I played it in earnest. It was innocent days when people teamed up casually on the spur of the moment and there was no nonsense about stat-obsessed guilds which assumed you can turn up to regular training sessions. I jumped into the game on Friday to say goodbye, but unfortunately my alt, Goatboy, was in a remote area of the city and, when I did what seems to be a mandatory respec (I couldn’t move him ’til I did it) I facepalmingly forgot to give him back his jumping travel power. Kept plenty of screenshots to remember olden times though.

P.

• sinister agent says:

It’s why I’ve never enjoyed an MMO, too. I missed out on the early days (money, equipment), so never saw them at their best. Since the first big ones like CoH and WoW, they’ve developed a culture, and that culture is heavily geared towards gaming the system, not playing a game.

The games have changed in turn to feed that, and I just have no interest in that. But reading accounts of people properly playing, using their imaginations, having fun and taking the piss (NOT trolling/griefing, but taking the piss) in games like CoH does make me wish I’d been able to give them ago before that set in.

33. MadTinkerer says:

I actually had a copy of CoH Architect Edition that I was saving for when I had time to play an MMO. And then the announcement came. And then I found out I couldn’t make new characters.

Anyone know of any good pirate servers?

On another note, I was recently doing some investigation into MUDs/MUSHes/etc. and found out some interesting facts. Pretty much all of them, the text-based precursors to the commercial MMOs had some things in common with each other that commercial MMOs lack:

1) Open source (mildly surprising, but it makes sense). Mostly vanilla C or C++, in fact, which is all you need when you have text.

2) You just run your own server.

3) A lot of stuff has been lost due to the files being hosted on sites which have disappeared, and that which is still available needs tweaking to compile on current gen systems, but potentially you could just grab the source of one you like, compile and set up a server, and make your own changes to your private MUD/MUSH/etc. (You are a CS major, right?)

4) Neat features like giving “Wizards” the power to create new items, creatures, and areas. Like a cross between crafting and modding. (Again, you are a CS major, right?)

So basically everything was homebrew, and if someone’s favorite world went down, you could just run your own copy. Some copies are still running. And yes, I realize, possibly better than you do, that graphics change everything and “monetization” changes even more, but it’s amazing how limited and pathetic it is that I own a copy of CoH and I can’t just run my own server. Because IT’S ALL GONE FOREVER. Because IT WAS PROFITABLE BUT WASN’T PROFITABLE ENOUGH.

And this is why I say: FUCK MMOs. All of ‘em, just fuck ‘em. I don’t care about WoW or WoW-killers or non-WoW-killers or subs or F2P, they’re all fundamentally broken and worthless. They’re not the ultimate form of gaming, they’re a dead end, and the pile of corpses is getting pretty high.

All the art, all the programming, all the writing, all the community stuff: ALL IN THE TRASH. FUCK ALL MMOs FOREVER.

• MadTinkerer says:

I really need to start a punk band.

• Emeraude says:

Yeah, as I stated elsewhere, this is why I’m probably never going to support an MMO ever again.

Oh, and it’s not a punkband you need to start, but a revolutionary cell bent on liberating source code from MMOs no more commercially available. By any means necessary.

It’s much more fun to shout at the top of one’s lungs during a problematic black ops kidnapping than in front of a mic in a garage.

• Strangerator says:

MMOs no longer entrust their players with the responsibility to have their own fun.

Old Model:

Dear players,

Welcome to the realm! We have included thousands of tools you can play around with in order to have fun. Adventure and explore! We won’t tell you where to go, but do not hesitate to ask other players for tips. Learn from your mistakes, and experiment. Your success isn’t guaranteed, but will come if you are creative and use your head. Above all, always enjoy whatever adventure you create for yourself. There’s really not much more to say, get out there and enjoy what we’ve made, and remember the golden rule. We can’t wait to see what you will do with this!

New Model:

Dear players,

It has come to our attention that most of the 3000+ tools we had previously entrusted you with are being used to break the balance of the system, instead of to explore the world in interesting ways. This is our fault, we simply created too many tools. Additionally, it has been made abundantly clear that the majority of the non-offending players are now unable to enjoy playing the game in their own way, because they now know their way is sub-optimal. Therefore, we have reduced the number of tools down to 7. Fear not, the remaining seven tools are almost perfectly balanced, and we will continually strive to make sure that it does not matter which of the seven tools you choose. Your success will not be due to correct choices, but rather to investing the correct amount of time and following best practices for using your choice of the 7 tools. Check the forums for builds. None of the decisions you make about your character will be permanent, so feel free to try playing your own way for a while before adopting the best known build for your character type.

Furthermore, some players have complained that the game offers very little in the way of guidance as to which direction in which they are to proceed. We take this feedback seriously, and have implemented a much more streamlined progression of quests. We have also increased content density, which should mean that most of the meaningless walking and exploring should be a thing of the past. By following the suggested quest prompts, you should be able to efficiently and quickly reach your character’s maximum level. Once you reach maximum level, the game will become fun, as we have really been working on endgame content.

We realize you have a choice in homogenized online skinner-box simulators, and we would once again like to thank you for choosing our IP.

34. MadJax says:

/salute

Here Lies:

MadJax the Hero
    RoboBones the Villain

and many many hundreds of other heroes

You shall be missed CoH/V

35. GrassyGnoll says:

This was my first MMO. Played many since but I no other has captured me like CoH/V did. So fairwell The Grassy Gnoll (AR/Dev blstr), Mantra 88 (Ill/FF Cont), Aggronomnicron (Ice/Mace Tank), Hadron Monkeyman (Dark/Elec Brute) and Mr Bingo (Fire/En brute), RIP.

Won’t miss the Sappers though. Will miss Clockwork.

Arathain says:

You don’t like endurance draining blue energy bolts but you do like endurance draining blue lightning bolts?

I’m only messing. Sappers are the worst thing (did you know they can fly, for basically no reason other than to catch you out that once before you know, and drop you into helpless into another mob?). Clockwork are brilliant. They have negative resistance to knockback, so you can throw them everywhere.

36. Gothnak says:

Bye Bye to my own…

The Amazing Paul Daniels… Would teleport in and say ‘That’s Magic!’
    Dravid Copperfield
    Roboliz (A cybernetic Queen Elizabeth)

And the villanous…

Dr Bovril

Happy times indeed…

• Gothnak says:

Oh and Mr Chuckles, a circus clown horribly scarred by toxic waste.And a goth who drank radioactive snakebite and black, but i’ve forgotten his name.. :s…

37. Dog Pants says:

I like that this is turning into an epitaph for lost characters. So long Dog Pants, inventor or the hilariously ineffective tactic of teleporting 100ft above a bunch of bad guys and plummeting into the middle of them to tank. Known as the Dog Bomb, or the “where did he just teleport to.. oh no”.

38. Ovno says:

So long ‘Miss Treat’ your artful healing ways will be missed…

39. Stazmo says:

Farewell Pyro McCrispy, Fire/Rad controller, you truly were super. I’ll never forget the time we were patrolling the Hollows late one winter night looking for the Gangland Fury badge and we aggroed and were jumped by a horde of freakish mutated gang members that were conning yellow and orange. You almost died, and we even had to resort to punching people… but as the last gang member fell, his irradiated body on fire, you levelled up. Leaving a heap of dead guys in a perfect circle, we super jumped back to atlas to pick a new power and gab with some SG members. You were me, in super hero form and you showed me an MMO can truly be worth playing. Thank you, and I hope they buried you with your Atlas Medallion on… because that was a pain in the ass to get.

Simplisto says:

Ah… a man and his first MMO. I still have a huge folder of screenshots from my ‘The Matrix Online’ days. I can’t bring myself to part with them.

41. WladTapas says:

I seem to have exactly one screenshot of my favorite character, Snezhinka-1 (Rad/Rad Controller), but I do have her history copy-pasted in a text file. Since this is an epitaph now, I’m sure you will indulge me…

“The Soviet Union had several “supersoldier” programs ever since the Second World War. The last of them, started in the 1980s, was not intended to produce soldiers or spies, however, but goodwill ambassadors to promote glasnost. The Snezhinka (snowflake) project was quite successful. Its first graduate was Natalia Rodnina, an Olympic Gold Medal-winning swimmer, gifted linguist and granddaughter of a Stalingrad hero.”

42. Temple says:

Missing this so bad.
    Missed having VIP for those last 3 months by letting my sub lapse a few days before the announcement. Other than a few hovering visits to watch the sunrise I did not go back in these last months.
    In other news, boardgames are great! And Sacred 2 is scratching my gaming itch (oh, more bad news, Sacred 3 looks like it is going to be pants, and a completely different style game).

Dear Videogame Companies,
    I have a lot of money and a lot of freetime, please give me something to play that is as engaging as CoH. Where people cannot grief you, where they want to help you, where the game isn’t built around PVP or balance, but instead we are given the tools to have fun how we want.

43. mashakos says:

This is why every digital thing I cherish and enjoy is stored bunker-style in my PC. The cloud, it is a lie.

44. Breemis says:

I once created an undead lawyer super vilian named Habeas Corpus, but due to never really gelling with the mechanics of the game never took him too far. I’m glad of this, as I would definately miss him now if I HAD invested a lot of time in CoH/V

45. Hatonastick says:

My friends and I have been discussing and lamenting the loss of this MMO on our Facebook pages. Was the first MMO I ever played as I was still playing MUDs when my friends got into Everquest, but I’ve played soooo many MMO’s since then — and yet I always returned to City of Heroes. We all did no matter which directions we did wander.

So Kow Witta-Gunne, Mad Mike McGee, Redback Ronin, The Optician, Neutron Hammer, Panzerjaeger, Bullet Vector, Commander Aeon, Disco Groove, The Stratanaut, Neotoxin, Dr. Jekyll Hyde, The Electrifrier, Fireball Phoenix, Fonzilla, Galaxar, Galactic Golem, Grey Shadow, Happy McSlappy, Harlequin Hitman, The Ledge Runner, Max Jacks, Palm Strike, Professor Cogsworth, Proton Twister, Psimone, The Removalist, Scotch Thistle, Sidewalk Sentinel, Soviet Might, Spikefish, Steel Gambit, Synthetronic, Technogre, Terrorformer, The Council Guy, Thief-Taker, Turbulent Mind, Two-Gun Tempest, Warp Reaver, Xeronix, and many more I’ve forgotten — I salute you!

46. Geen says:

So long Depression Man the suicidal immortal, so long Sir Robot, the British gentlebot. Goodbye Burninator, the habitual pyromaniac who kept accidentally setting hostages on fire. Ah, good times, good times.

47. Winterborn says:

Farwell Max Infinity(stone/invul Brute). We had so many good times together.

48. ghoststalker194 says:

I’m gonna miss my bad guy. Loved training him up from a street punk with a simple pistol to this bad ass gang leader with high tech gear. El Ballaco, you will be remembered.