Magnificent And Important Advent Calendar: Day Four

By RPS on December 4th, 2012 at 3:00 pm.

On the fourth day of the ascension of Horace to his state of holy infinity, we like to celebrate by considering those less fortunate than us. It doesn’t matter who they are, just so long as their plight causes an ember to spark in our cog-powered cockles. But what poor souls claw at this window of the advent calendar and does their suffering suit the season?

It’s… The Walking Dead!

Adam:

“I’m only little.”

With those words, The Walking Dead ceased to be ‘that game that makes people cry’ and became ‘*SNIFFLE* I…just need *SOB* a moment to gather my thoughts *BAWL*’. Apart from the fact that I cried quite a bit and that some characters die (I don’t say which ones), I’ve avoided explicit spoilers but I do refer to minor events, and talk about the overall mood and movement of the series.

With the release of each episode, my Twitter feed filled with exclamations of shock and digital tears. It was as if everybody I knew had been locked in a kitchen with Gordon Ramsay and forced to chop onions. “FUCK”, they would say. And then, “I seem to have something in my eye.”

Invariably, what they had in their eye was the dust of empathy, having become invested in the doom of a cast of cartoons, at the heart of which lay the father-daughter relationship between a melancholy man and his accidental ward. It’s a game about caring for someone and striving to protect them no matter how much horror life coughs up onto the road ahead.

Telltale’s Walking Dead isn’t about zombies, which is about as blatantly obvious a statement as ‘Taxi Driver isn’t about vehicles for hire’. Thankfully, despite a second episode that almost manages to avoid the walkers altogether, the series as a whole doesn’t make the mistake of assuming that not being about zombies means the flesh-munchers can be conveniently forgotten whenever it suits the writers’ goals. The zombies here do insist on eating, infecting and otherwise bothering people, even when those people are trying to have emotional moments.

Unlike the drab first season of the television series, this Walking Dead never lets its audience forget that there is a constant, unstoppable and absolutely horrifying threat. The survivors have lived through a terrible trauma and every day they attempt to come to terms with that, all the while tensed for the next danger or deplorable sight.

‘Survivors’ is the key word. In your average post-disaster story du jour, the people crawling out of the wreckage are ‘survivors’ in the sense that they managed to survive, but they don’t tend to demonstrate any of the traits associated with people who have experienced tragedy, terror and helplessness. The Walking Dead, at the very least, attempts to explore those scars and at its bleakest it’s far closer to the tone of The Road than I Am Alive ever was. The latter’s resemblance was superficial and its hero was far more Teflon-coated than Telltale’s cast, who suffer, struggle and fail far more often than they climb skyscrapers.

If it weren’t for Clementine, the whole series could be nothing more than a catalogue of miseries. She represents hope, care and a somehow tender fear. Whenever she is present, Lee must choose his actions and words more carefully because she is looking to him for guidance. He isn’t only responsible for her survival, he is responsible for the manner of her survival and setting the limits by which she might live.

I’ve complained before that the choices the player makes are unimportant and there are entire scenes in which interactivity distracts from events rather than adding to them. The series contains too many instances of pushing forward to go forward when no other option is available, and the choices that significantly alter events, even for a short while, could be counted on one partially decayed hand.

But my decisions did matter at the last, because I doubt I would have been quite as devastated if some of the final dialogue options hadn’t resonated all the more strongly because of what had gone before. Those who have played the game will understand the importance of a haircut – a moment of bonding that particularly moved me not only because it was achingly bittersweet but because it was built on Lee’s willingness to learn from others and to trust in the possibility that kindness still exists in strangers, despite everything.

As the world grew dim, given the choice to recall that ritual, so steeped in meaning, I had to, even though it broke me a little to pull at that thread. Who could have imagined at the time that the tragedies of Episode Three would ever seem like the good old days?

It’s worth noting that The Walking Dead is a surprise turnaround for Telltale and, despite some save game issues and minor delays, a triumph for episodic gaming. The gaps between the episodes seem sensible, although the delay between the first and the second did make me do an angry dance and I had to dabble in magic to rescue a save game after the third.

A few friends have been waiting for the complete set before buying, which is almost always my tactic with television shows, but I’m glad to have experienced the built-in breaks here. The time that passes in the game world between episodes is one reason for that; having a pause imposed made the unwritten occurrences less jarring.

Given that boredom and bickering are enemies, it’d feel odd to have all the heightened action and emotion packed into one evening. The opening of an episode tends to suggest a period of inactivity, which fits nicely with the form. To those who have waited for the full package, I’d suggest acknowledging those breaks with at least a night’s sleep.

From the opening moments, my concern was that despite its insistence on choice and change, The Walking Dead was telling Lee’s story, not mine. I wasn’t wrong to think that, but Lee is a superb central character and his story is well-written, well-performed and packs more than its share of emotional uppercuts.

I could sulk and complain about the lack of puzzles or story branches but I reckon I’d be missing the point somewhat. Besides, this isn’t the time for that. This is the time to remember Clementine and the dead, whether they’re still walking or not.

1. S Jay says:

The last episode packs quite a punch

• karengossage6 says:

Brayden. if you, thought Victor`s stori is cool… last friday I got a great Saab 99 Turbo when I got my cheque for $8760 thiss month and-a little over, ten thousand lass month. this is actually the easiest-job Ive ever had. I actually started nine months/ago and practically straight away startad bringin in over $77, p/h. I use details from here.. http://www.youtube.qr.net/jOUs/watch?v=9xOf6Pe0ETk

2. jealouspirate says:

Really enjoyed this series. I know that the “choices” don’t really change much beyond the flavour of Lee’s personality, but that was enough for me in this game. There is a place for relatively linear games to exist and this was a great one.

• f1x says:

Indeed, a relatively linear game with a superb story is always welcome

I have yet to play The Walking Dead tho, but seeing all the talking about it, I will start soon, will make sure also that nobody sees me when I cry

• AngoraFish says:

‘relatively’ linear? The only parts where the game isn’t moving your character for you it’s dragging you around directly by the nose (press ‘W’ to move forward). Oh, that and the intermediate really boring interludes where all the characters sit in a glass-walled field and your only job is to moonwalk around the actionless field and have cutscenes with each of the characters before the game takes over again.

• kansdmwb says:

Bluetooth Keyboard Case for iPhone5-Ultra-thin Slide-out Wireless Keyboard for iPhone 5! I gave my 12-year-old children gifts at Christmas! We think that how? I’m like, I hope that my children like! Really great! http://800wx.com/a9

• belgand says:

I respectfully disagree. If you’re going to make an entertainment project that will primarily tell a story in a linear fashion with little input from the audience then what you generally want to do is anything but a game. Make a film, a book, a comic, an epic prog-rock ballad… but don’t make a game that takes away everything that makes it, y’know, a game.

It comes across as someone who doesn’t know how to suit their experience to their medium and perhaps is just forcing a square peg into a rather smaller round hole.

• SavageTech says:

The problem isn’t so much the linear story as it is the lack of things to do. Many classic adventure games are linear and require nothing more from you than to “click your things on other things,” but the puzzles in those games are tough enough to make the experience entertaining. In contrast, The Walking Dead is so insultingly simple that it feels like a “Choose Your Own Adventure” novel where page turning is replaced with mouse clicking.

I’d be totally fine with the lack of interactivity IF the much-touted branching decisions actually amounted to anything. Maybe I was expecting too much given the hype, but given the bold disclaimer at the beginning of each episode (“THE STORY OF THE WALKING DEAD CHANGES BASED UPON HOW YOU PLAY” or whatever) I expected that my choices would actually have some real impact. I realize that there are limits given the amount of scripting, voiceover, etc. required for each new choice but I’m still disappointed that nearly every major plot point is etched in stone.

Bleh. I really did enjoy the game and I don’t mean to harp on it. I just think I would’ve liked it a lot more if they hadn’t made such a big deal out of the “your choices matter” thing. The way your choices are woven into the script is nice but the implementation is not exceptional enough to make it a selling point in an era where tons of story-driven games give you at least basic options to affect the outcome of minor plot details and the ending.

• jalf says:

How does a linear story “take away everything that makes it a game”?

Let’s not exaggerate, mkay?

And let’s not pretend that, well, almost every game ever made should not have been made…

Nearly every game that has a story, has a linear story. Should they not have been made? Should they have been books instead? What if they, via the challenges and the interactivity they offered, no matter how tightly scripted, they offered an experience that differed from what you’d have gotten from a movie or a book?

• khomotso says:

You know, before playing this, I might have agreed with you. I still might say that your position seems to me, in the abstract, the correct theory.

But I found that the simple act of being asked to make choices of characterization (no, not plot, I understand) made me that much more engaged in the story. I don’t think it would have been nearly as affecting if I were purely passive throughout.

They still need to figure out a better way to ‘gamify’ drama, since this was utter crap on that score, but I’ll be happy to see more experiments in this kind of storytelling, despite the cognoscenti holding forth that storytelling is not a game thing.

3. Groove says:

I really want this but I keep forgetting to buy this whenever it’s in the sale, and now I can’t buy it because I’d feel cheated if I don’t get 50% off. Damn it brain.

• f1x says:

Don’t worry, ….christmas sale? XD

• jinnyjinjin says:

It was about $10 on amazon last week, but I couldn’t get it because I was in the UK and it wouldn’t accept my payment from a UK card with a US address like it used to o.O

4. Meat Circus says:

The odd thing is that so much of this game is so poorly executed. Poor voice acting, inconsistent plotting, shoddy controls, and the realisation that it’s barely even a game at all for much of its length.

But, the way the game approaches choice and consequence punches so deeply at what it is to be human that nearly all its flaws are easily overlooked, and it just washes you along.

• Bhazor says:

Those would be the choices and consequences that don’t actually matter, right?

Lambchops says:

Yeah it would be. It really is one of those “it’s the journey not the destination” things, which Adam sums up nicely in his post.

There are choices and consequences, they may be minor but I found the game has a good knack (your mileage may vary) of pulling me in and forgetting and making me think about the moment. It was engrossing, a tale well told and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

VelvetFistIronGlove says:

Your choices and consequences matter enormously. They don’t change events (much), but they define what kind of person Lee is, and how Clementine and the other survivors see him.

And, of course, your emotional investment and reactions are very much affected by the decisions you make. When I played, someone I liked died as a direct, immediate consequence of one of my choices. I looked up the wiki later, and sure enough the plot guarantees that they would have died another way if I had chosen differently—but that doesn’t affect my (nor Lee’s) feelings of guilt over the incident.

The choices you make have consequences in character development, instead of in the plot. They’re no less valid for that.

Saul says:

I’m definitely in this camp (in fact, I wrote a blog about it: http://digitalspiritguide.com/how-telltales-the-walking-dead-tricks-us-into-feeling/)

I can understand that people with particular expectations could feel let down by the way choice and consequence works in Walking Dead. But I say leave those expectations at the door, and you’ll likely have a wonderful time (in the most horrific way possible).

VelvetFistIronGlove says:

Nice article. But I don’t think that Telltale were intentionally misleading the audience with that opening message. Because they don’t keep it up: throughout the game the messages it gives you are all phrased personally: “Carly will remember that”.

• nameless says:

I would have a hard time classifying this as an example of poor voice acting. Whoever played Lee was fantastic, and it always felt to me that Clem’s lines were one of the best examples of child acting I’ve seen in a video game. Sure, there’s no Philip Seymour Hoffman in this cast, but all the characters have voices that fit them and, to me at least, sounded like real people. For a low-budget video game, I’d say they knocked this part out of the park.

That said, the controls definitely were shoddy, I agree with you on that. I died too many times because I couldn’t find the right zombie pixel to click on…

• WoundedBum says:

The voice actress who plays Clem is a full grown woman, which I found odd. She does a great job.

• nameless says:

Yeah, that makes sense. As I was writing my post, I started thinking that that might be the case, but she’s still done such a great job of acting AS a child. One of most memorable lines in the game was so memorable because it was written and delivered so perfectly in the way that a child would react. I’m thinking here of the scene where Lee asks Clem if she licked the salt-lick, and there’s a long pause, ended with her sheepish “I don’t know…”

• WoundedBum says:

Haha, yeah I posted my comment down below about exactly that moment. It’s perfect and captures childish innocence perfectly.

• Kadayi says:

Yeah, I’m not getting the ‘poor voice acting ‘ comment at all. Both the voice actors behind Lee & Clem are up for VGA awards and frankly fully deserve them.

• AngoraFish says:

On the subject of poorly executed, I keep waiting to hear someone complain about Lee’s constant moonwalking.

Also, every character not associated with the group that I can recall was horribly evil to the point of grotesqueness. I appreciate that people under stress can do horrible things, but they can do noble things as well. I just can’t buy that in a situation like the zombie plague people are going to spend as much time killing each other off as the zombies are. Surely most people would conclude that there is strength in numbers rather than wandering around more or less aimlessly in small groups?

• belgand says:

Hmm… this just sounds like the game is trying to be emotionally manipulative. As someone who hates it when anything tries that and who doesn’t get emotionally invested in media it sounds like there isn’t really all that much there for me. Shame. I play games to make interesting choices, not to watch a pre-set story play out while being told when I should feel bad because a virtual person pretended to die.

• Kadayi says:

Well. I guess you’ve convinced yourself to not play it then.

5. Teovald says:

Interesting choice. I lost all interest in this company after their Monkey Island sequel attempt. I will have to try the first episode of the Walking Dead.

6. Flappybat says:

I think it’s correct to criticise the game for an illusion of choice. In the end it pissed me off knowing that I might have as well been playing an FMV game of old with how on rails everything is. Get a choice of characters to save in the first episode, marvel at how they conveniently barely show up in episode two and then written out of the plot shortly into episode three!

Oozo says:

Luckily, I went into it late, so I didn’t expect something other than a well-told story with some minor interactive elements. For some people, not thinking of it as a “game” might give them a better experience – the interactive elements are not so much there for letting you shape and control the story, but just to immerse you more into it. It worked for me.

For example, I can say that the tension was heightened for me considerably in those classical “horror movie” moments when you know that something is waiting for you behind that door, and you do have to prepare for it, not only mentally but also (and crucially) physically, because you will have to hammer on those keys. (Or will you?)

Same thing with the moral decisions in the game. For me, they were effective, because even if I didn’t think that they would change the story in a fundamental way, by being given the choice, I couldn’t help putting myself mentally into the situation, trying to judge the people, the situation etc. and then act accordingly.

So, it’s not about actually controlling the story, but putting you into a state of mind where you play pretend that you would be in that story/situation, and asking you what you would do.

I can see why people are disappointed nevertheless; before playing it, I wouldn’t have thought that this can be a way to go for interactive experiences. Turns out, it does. (And it’s much more concious about what it does with its interactivity than most FMV games of old, I think.)

7. I Got Pineapples says:

I loved it but my issue is it as follows:

As a piece of storytelling, it really is very excellent, at least as far as video games go.

As an adventure game, it’s….not even the best Telltale game.

Lambchops says:

Nope it certainly isn’t, but I saw it more as the natural successor to a choose your own adventure book (by removing the ability to cheat and flick back a few choices!) rather than a more traditional puzzle centric adventure game.

8. Low Life says:

I started playing this about a month before the last episode was released (bought it way back around its release) and I very much enjoyed my pace of one episde per week, playing each episode in a single session. A month between episodes is a bit too much for my taste. Thankfully, the internet has been awfully nice not spoiling anything for me.

My only major complaint is the game’s choice of using the adventure game style static camera, which usually makes interactions in the world awkard. For the free movement sections I’d rather just have a more gamey camera (like what we have in Mass Effect).

9. Steph says:

I was about to point that : this game has more in common with The Road than with traditional zombie fiction. Lee is one of the deepest and most intriguing gaming characters ever written.

10. Brun says:

Meh, I could never get in to the Walking Dead (TV Show). It just seemed like the entire show was built on typical zombie cliche tropes, and didn’t really bring anything new or interesting to the table. I quit watching after about 4 episodes. I’ll stick with Game of Thrones for now thanks – the “zombie” subplot of that show is at least as interesting as the Walking Dead.

• Optimaximal says:

This game is the stable-mate of the graphic novel – it has nothing do with what’s going on in the TV series (OK, there are slight references, but only where the TV series also references the comic).

Arren says:

Couldn’t disagree more — I’ve never given a fragment of a damn for zombies, but just finished watching the first season* of the show and found it mostly superb, especially the quality of the acting and the focus on characters instead of shock’n'gore.

* Behind the times, to put it mildly.

• Brun says:

focus on characters

I hear this tossed around a lot about the show, but I honestly wasn’t impressed by it in what I saw. None of the stories were particularly new or interesting – they weren’t exploring anything that hadn’t already been explored within post-apocalyptic survival situations in COUNTLESS other movies or shows.

• Kadayi says:

TBH the game has very little to do with either the comic or the show. There’s some brief cameos in the first episode of show/comic characters, but after that it’s pretty much it’s own thing and in truth all the better for it. Don’t pass it up just because of the TV series.

• D3xter says:

I thought the first season was pretty good/okay, the second season was bad, dropping into horrible at points and the third season is the best so far… damn them for a 3 month break after episode 8 that comes out in February…

11. Syra says:

after finishing it watched a friend play the last episode differently to me. I was horrified at her choices. Especially the very last one.

It’s a fantastic evocative ending to a really great series, even if it was all an illusion of choices that guide you back to the straight path.

• AngoraFish says:

People keep taking about how great the ending was, but it largely felt flat to me since the main reveal happened at the end of episode 4, while episode 5 was simply about waiting for the inevitable to happen, which it did.

• nindustrial says:

I think part of the terror/emotional effect, though (for me at least), is knowing the “what” of the inevitable, but not the “when” — and whether the “when” is going to prevent certain things from being accomplished….

All a very vague statement to avoid spoilers, ha, but I presume you’ll follow.

12. sinister agent says:

Gah. This sounds like exactly the sort of thing I’ve been hoping for in a game, but I simply cannot give a toss about zombie stories anymore. Typical!

cpt_freakout says:

You should give it a shot whenever you can, anyway! I’ve also been tired of zombie stories for a while since they’re all pretty much the same, but they’ve never been like this in games before. I believed the hype with this one, and man, am I glad I’m just another brick in the wall and so forth. Someone else said that the game part barely registers – I think exactly the opposite. While its elements are pretty straightforward, they gel very well to create the tension necessary for the story to carry on and for you to feel right in the middle of a great disaster. You could at least consider it when there’s a Steam sale or something like that, because while I think the regular price is worth it, I understand the reticence for the zombie setting.

• Kadayi says:

The zombies are just a maguffin. It’s essentially a tale about people in a tight spot. Get over the zombie hate and play the game. It’s very much one of those must play experiences I’d say.

Oozo says:

Just like “Lucius” reminded me of everything that can be wrong with this genre, “The Walking Dead” and, in a much different way, the reductio ad absurdum of “McPixel” showed me why adventure elements can be splendid. Put in “Botanicula” for good measure, look from very far, and you might be seeing something that looks a bit like a blueprint for the future of a genre that was declaimed dead more than once. (And, sometimes, for good reasons.)

14. unangbangkay says:

*Sniff*

That said, I played pretty much the whole game beside a friend, and found the conclusion a bit abrupt, and in the heat of the moment, unsatisfying. Thinking about it a few minutes later justified most of it, but the first thing out of our mouths at the time was “That’s it?”

• luukdeman111 says:

you shouldn’t play this with a friend actually…. I think… This game is so very based around evoking emotions that having fun with your buddy’s will almost ruin the experience a bit…..

It’s good you had fun playing it with a friend but I’d recommend anyone who still wants to play this, to do it alone…. And cry….. A lot!

15. WoundedBum says:

Did you lick it?

…I don’t know…

• Terragot says:

OH GOD CLEM WHY ARE YOU ADORABLE

Lambchops says:

I taught her a naughty word, I felt that it would give potential for camaraderie and much needed light relief further down the line. I was not wrong. Bless her.

16. sophof says:

I really enjoyed this game and it made me cry (like so many apparently). No game has EVER managed to do that and only a handful of movies.

I’m not sure anything else matters, apparently we need to rethink the requirement of meaningful choices and proper puzzles for some types of adventure games. This game truly surprised me.

mpk says:

I bought this just because I had a free day and it was 50% off and, wow. Just wow. It’s definitely one of my gaming highlights of the past few years.

I played episode 1-3 in one sitting and then had to take a few days off. Episode three was… I don’t know how the rest of you felt, but I have a young son and… even now it’s tough. It pretty much broke me. I had to wait a few days before I could face episode 4.

For all the negatives that can be said about how much of a “game” it actually is, I can’t wait to play through it again with someone else at the controls, to see what their decisions are and to see how they differ. But just like I’ll never replay Mass Effect 3, because MY Shepherd is dead, I’ll never play through this again myself. MY Lee wouldn’t do anything different, not even just to see what would happen.

TheApologist says:

I can’t read the comments as I’m mid-way through ep 3 and wary of spoilers, but I’m delighted this made the Calendar. I’ve not often felt a game was successful when it’s mechanics and interaction were placed pretty much entirely in service of the delivery of narrative and exploration of character. Here, however, it is done superbly well, and is one of the most memorable gaming experiences I’ve ever had.

19. airtekh says:

A question for fans of this game:

Do you have to have read/watched the comic/tv series to enjoy this, or does it stand up by itself?

VelvetFistIronGlove says:

It stands completely on its own feet.

There are a few characters and locations that the comics and TV series share, but no prior knowledge of them is needed.

Lambchops says:

Yeah it stands, I’m not a graphic novel person and due to zombie fatigue watched none of the TV series (still in two minds whether to bother, I’ve heard it has a good pilot then gets really slow before it picks up again) but after hearing the praise for this jumped straight in and really enjoyed it.

mpk says:

This game is better written and more enjoyable than the first two series of the TV show have been (although series 3 has picked up a bit).

The zombocalypse premise is fairly universal, and the game would be just as successful without The Walking Dead branding as with it – but it carries over the comic series’ bleakness and lack of sentimentality towards the characters.

I’d recommend it to anyone.

• Kadayi says:

^ I fully support this statement. Game > TV series

mpk says:

Just watched the mid season finale of series 3 – bloody awful episode. It was doing so well too.

• Kadayi says:

It certainly picked up from season 2 with the first couple of episodes, but as soon as the Woodbury stuff came up with Andrea and Michonne it’s gone to shit. That one episode everyone’s a honed badass when they’re taking the prison, and then a few later they seemingly can’t hit a barn door at ten yards with automatic riles is just inconsistent writing.

Carra says:

I stopped watching the series a few episodes into the second season.

And no, it has no links with the series as far as I can see. You can perfectly enjoy it without seeing those.

• nindustrial says:

I certainly don’t blame you, as I was dissatisfied with season 2 also, but I’ll say that season 3 has been a great improvement.

VelvetFistIronGlove says:

I’ll throw in a small recommendation here: if you have an iPad, get this on iOS instead of PC. It’s not bad at all on PC, but the direction interaction with things on the screen worked a lot better for me.

• Kadayi says:

I’d add to that (given this is a PC gamer website) that if you do play it on PC, use M&K Vs controller. Although the games perfectly playable using a controller there’s some really fiddly sequences in the third episode that are a lot easier to do using M&K at the end of the day.

21. The Random One says:

The real tragedy is that I missed the wot I think live of Jurassic Park and can’t get it to play again. I can only read the comments and dream of what might have been.

22. wodin says:

Game of the Year..deserved No1 spot…never been a game like it..

23. thatman says:

It still moves me to think about Lee’s and Clem’s tale weeks after its conclusion. Rarely am I touched so deeply by art, let alone a videogame. The game has many flaws, but it almost doesn’t matter. I thought it was a very good game, or whatever you want to call it, up until the last chapter. After that it became my game of the year, if not more.

24. Urthman says:

As a fan of the Idle Thumbs podcast, it just warms my heart to see the game Famous and Video Games worked so hard on get so much praise.

Stellar Duck says:

Agreed, but even more than that, I enjoy that it was two cast members that were amongst the ones to make a game that made people cry. It’s not even 2015 yet.

25. Baal_Sagoth says:

Good and balanced look at TWD, I think. I can see where the appreciation comes from even though I really don’t like it very much myself. Then again, I played it expecting an interactive story and it certainly isn’t that in any meaningful way. The “gamey” bits really got in my way and weren’t all that much fun to me personally.
    Lee certainly is an interesting main character and I mostly liked him, Clementine is absolutely fantastic, incredibly charming, and a very strong, admirable character. But almost to a fault. She’s really more a naive, beautiful idea than a character that’s even remotely believable. No human, not even a rather innocent child could be that flawless. Which heightens the player’s fear for her well-being but destroys the drama in my opinion.

• MrSelfDestruct says:

This reply is for Baal_Sagoth, in case it gets screwed.

Clementine is hardly flawless.

BIG SPOILERS FROM EPISODE 5

She’s pretty much the only reason why Lee and the group stayed in Savannah and didn’t get the boat and escaped ( I mean the boat she finds outside the house). She had a “kid’s reaction” and trusted a complete stranger just because he said what she wanted to hear (that he had found her parents and they were alive). Not only that, she lied to Lee, for quite some time, about the Walkie-Talkie, which I suposse is the reason why he was able to follow Lee & Co., because she was telling him where they were going. So, if you look at it coldly, she’s partly responsible, in my playthrough, for Ken and Ben’s deaths and, of course, Lee. I don’t blame everything on her, of course, she’s just 9 years old, but I don’t think she’s THAT unbelievable and flawless to feel like a real kid.

FhnuZoag says:

Will a Wot I Think be forthcoming?