Ace Of Spades Out 9 Days Before End Of World

By Craig Pearson on December 5th, 2012 at 5:00 pm.

Blocky multiplayer shooter that’s not at all Minecraft with guns, Ace of Spades, is coming out 12/12/12, which is the most terrifying date of all time. Think about it. It’s 6/6/6 times two! The number of the beast, doubled. And as John points out, it’s nine days before the apocalypse. What’s worse is that it will cost 9.99 in the currency of the beast (dollars). If you have a mirror strategically placed on your ceiling, close your eyes and say “Notch” three times. Now look up! It says 6.66! And it’s on the digital distribution platform of the beast, Steam. Why? What would happen if you spilled a drink on the Devil? What would come off Mister Hellpants? That’s right! Steam… what’s that noise? Get out of the house. Flee for your life! It’s coming.

In case you were wondering what the Rockateer class looks like, I have a video right here.

I understand if you take all of the letters of the Da Vinci Code (remember that?), and mix them up they’ll eventually form the code for Jagex’s surprise shooter. The voxel-FPS managed to charm the pants off of Adam, and he’s not one to lose his trousers so easily. He has them specially fitted.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Ham Solo says:

I liked it more when it was about digging tunnels, building bunkers and a single-shot rifle. Way more intense.

• Luringen says:

I remember when people realized if you draw big enough it can be seen on the map.
      Swastikas everywhere.

• Ham Solo says:

Also in bright red letters “BLUE SUCKS D**K” and an Arrow to their spawn. Fun times.

• Luringen says:

Not to mention all the lightning fast, invincible supersoldiers running around and tearing down your own teams defences.

…not so good times.

But in the end, I had a blast playin Ace of Spades. The tunneling, the defensive towers and structures, the flanking, it all made it such a great game.

• Smashbox says:

Is there a beta for the new one already?

• Geen says:

Agreed. Back when cover meant something, when people actually built huge forts and camoflaged foxholes, the game was fantastic, while now it’s just shitty custom maps and run-n-gun SMGers.

2. AlexClockwork says:

Hi there! Just wanted to point out that 9.99 reflected on the ceiling still wouldn’t be 6.66… Sorry!

3. luukdeman111 says:

TF2 meets Minecraft… Mind = blown!

4. my_big_cups says:

Stop talking about Dec 21st! People are going to panick and screw up the world economy even more, and then it really will be the end of civilization! Self fulfilling prophecy, and we can all blame RPS when it happens!

5. DarkFarmer says:

I am not sure if I’m reading my battlelog correctly but it seems like alot more people play AoS than BF3 these days.

• Kemipso says:

I fully realize that I will sound like an old shmuck, but AoS stands for Aeon of Strife for most old starcraft / warcraft 3 players.

On the plus side, if you take AoS as a genre, then it’s true than a lot more players are on AoS than BF3, since the genre includes Dota 2 and LoL ;-)

6. Lone Gunman says:

On the 21st the planets will align and the Mayan calendar will start over. That is all it means. If I’m wrong, will no one will be around to say I told you so :p

• Salt says:

NASA assures me that there is no planetary alignment.

“There are no planetary alignments in the next few decades and even if these alignments were to occur, their effects on the Earth would be negligible. One major alignment occurred in 1962, for example, and two others happened during 1982 and 2000. Each December the Earth and sun align with the approximate center of the Milky Way Galaxy but that is an annual event of no consequence.”

I tried to contact a Mayan calendar maker for comment, but none were available.

• Lone Gunman says:

Yep I got that wrong. Apparently the The equator of the Milky Way galaxy (Galactic Equator) and the path of the Sun (the Ecliptic) will cross each other at exactly 11:11 am GMT.

How the Mayans new this I have no idea? Ancient advanced civilization? Ancient Aliens?

Source: http://www.exploringlifesmysteries.com/2012-planetary-alignment

• cpt_freakout says:

I don’t think the Mayans specified any planetary alignments. Still, they had an architectural Observation Power-Up and a really accurate calendar (time-metrics power-up?). In short, they were some badass astronomers. You don’t need telescopes to keep track of stars, after all.

• Salt says:

As that very same page points out:

The plane of the galaxy is quite wide – in fact, it takes the winter solstice between 700 hundred and 1,400 years to cross the plane of the galaxy! So 2012 is just one year amidst a span of 700 years.

So it’s not too shocking that they have an epoch ending within such a huge span of time.
        Also I’d point out that the Mayans didn’t actually predict that alignment at all, they just said that’s when an epoch ends. It’s us that have gone looking for significant astronomical events that coincide with it.

7. Bloodoflamb says:

I just wanted to clear something up: 12/12/12 = (12/12)/12 = 1/12 = (1/6)/2 = ([6/6]/6)/2 = (6/6/6)/2.

So, 12/12/12 is actually ONE HALF of 6/6/6, not double.

… :D

• Low Life says:

It’s a shame these sorts of things need to be pointed out in the comments – RPS really has gone downhill with its maths lately. I’ve even started visiting the math section of ScienceDaily just to get mathematically accurate news. If you’d told that to the RPS-loving me of just a few months back, I’d have laughed in your face.

• Droopy The Dog says:

Goodness, now that that’s been cleared up the rest of Craig’s theory actually just sounds a bit bonkers.

• SominiTheCommenter says:

Don’t drink and derive.

8. Berstarke says:

Played this shortly after a Nerd³ video (youtube game “let’splayer”? reviewer? Dude that plays games and mildly amusing accent.). This freakish thing siphoned my afternoon so hard when I came to my senses the sun was already going… up in the sky.

9. Joseph says:

“close your eyes and say “Notch” three times. Now look up! It says 6.66! ”

Mythbuster alert: This actually happens with ANY number, attributing it to 9.99 is misleading.

10. Zankmam says:

This is such a sad day. RIP Ace of Spades. :/

11. Iliya Moroumetz says:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but the Mayan Calendar doesn’t take August into account… and if that’s the case, we’ve already missed it.

Dang, the end of the world’s disappointing.

12. elilupe says:

I will miss the old, slow, thoughtful, full-of-hackers Ace of Spades.

13. Jahkaivah says:

You know, after 12/12/12 we wont have another xx/xx/xx date where the days, months and years are the same for another 89 years.

14. Text_Fish says:

I wish people would stop ripping off TF2 whenever they trailer their team-based shooter, it makes them all look really homogonous (which the game itself clearly isn’t).

Comment on this story