Bounteous Additions – EVE Online: Retribution Now Live

By Nathan Grayson on December 5th, 2012 at 10:00 am.

This is what I imagine school buses will look like in the future.

I think I only truly became An Adult right around the time I first heard of EVE Online. Growing up, you see, the concept of space conjured notions of adventure, heroism, and utopia. The possibilities, my naive peanut brain figured, were endless. But time has a way of imparting essential kernels of wisdom upon even the most head-in-the-stars of youths – mainly, that people are complete jerks to each other. And so it is with EVE Online. Catapulted into the endless reaches of space, human existence is… pretty much the same. Corporate shenanigans, frequent backstabbery, and – if a new trailer’s anything to go on – lots of dubstep continue unabated. Only difference is, there are super nifty space ships, which make being a bounty hunter a viable career path – even for people not named “Dog.” And so we arrive at the new Retribution expansion, the bounty-hunting-est one yet. It’s out now, which means you’re probably already dead.

Flashy, cheesy, insubstantial – everything an EVE trailer shouldn’t be. Hooray! But where increasingly inaccurate promotional materials fail, the ancient art of patch notes more than makes up the difference. Somewhere, in some dank, threadbare den, some patch scribe dedicated their entire life to carving these note into CCP’s virtual slab. They are, in other words, immense.

The bounty system, though, takes top billing, and it seems primed to toss another couple sticks of dynamite into an already boiling pot of intergalactic intrigue. You can place bounties on pretty much anything – players, alliances, and corporations – and there’s a Bounty Information window will tell you everything you need to know in EVE’s traditionally exhaustive fashion. The Bounty Office, meanwhile, is now usable at any time, and it contains a Most Wanted list should you decide to start earning a little blood money yourself.

Other major additions improve an overhauled Crimewatch system, new ships, and a colossal smattering of changes and fixes. So, right then, do you plan on jumping in?

, , .

1. Danny says:

This might be the time for me to try this game. Or am I too late to join the party?

• I Got Pineapples says:

Eve online is, in all honesty, a game that is vastly more interesting to read about than play.

It’s not that it’s bad, but it is a fairly creaky, like…pre-wow design sort of creaky, grindy MMO at the heart of it and most of the exciting stuff is essentially internet dramas.

That said, if you wanna fly spaceships in an MMO?

You could do worse.

• RoAE says:

Its never too late to join EVE, new players often underestimate themselves more then other players. Ya its going to take isk and exp to get the ships everyone else has, but if you focus on one type of ship and your willing to die sometimes to learn from your mistakes then you’ll get there. My advice to new PvPers in EVE has always been:
        1. To ask those who killed you want you did wrong when your new, some will be jerks but there are enough who will give you invaluable advice.
        2. Consider every ship you take out for PvP to already be lost.

• Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

3. Learn when and who you can shoot where without being killed by NPC police

^Possibly the most important rule for someone who wants to make other space doods go boom.

• nullward says:

Agreed on the “more interesting to read about” part. Once you know the basics of the game, reading about what goes on out there gets to be quite fun. “The 0.0 experiment” was one of my favorite EVE reads…

• Hoarr says:

I’m sorry that you feel that way. You clearly never got into small gang warfare though. No game has ever given me that visceral rush that small gang warfare in EVE online does. Almost everyone I’ve ever talked to about it has always talked about getting the shakes after a fight since your actions have REAL consequences. If your ship blows up, it’s gone forever. There are no “corpse runs” to get your equipment back, it’s just gone. This sense of real loss makes the victories all the more intense. I can understand if it’s not for you, but if you think it might be, come check out RPS holdings either at the in game channel “RPS community” or on the forums here http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?246-Eve-Online-RPS-Holdings-is-looking-for-new-pilots/page28

• bikkebakke says:

You’re never too late, the good thing in eve is that every player is always useful, even the new ones. But it’s a steep learning curve and it might be frustrating at (many) times, best thing I can recommend is either to grab a friend who plays it and get him to help you or watch some tutorials or something. Best thing I can say is not to shoot first in high sec areas :P

• jellydonut says:

It’s never too late. There’s not much ‘catch-up’ with veteran players compared to other MMOs. Sure, you’d have to play catchup to fly the same ships they fly.. but that’s not necessary to participate.

• thebluemonkey81 says:

Hell no it’s not too late.

More of eve is about the people you fly with than the skills on your character.

If a 100mil sp character who’s been playing since 05 and is flying a 10bil officer fit battleship comes up against 5 to 10 6 month old characters. I’m pretty sure they new players are in for pay dirt from the drops.

• Danny says:

Great, I’ll give it a go. And pre-WoW MMO’s are the only MMO’s that I’ve actually enjoyed (DaoC, UO, AC, SWG), so I’ll take that as a recommendation ;)

• conti027 says:

What would you guys say about someone that hasn’t played a MMO?
      Every time I see EVE it looks incredible and I want to try it but I’ve never really got into a MMO.

• S Jay says:

Check it out. I really dislike MMOs and I really liked EVE.

Go for the trial and check it out.

• Snakejuice says:

You don’t need to have experience from other MMOs, EVE was my first MMO back in 2007 (or was it 2008?) and I did fine as soon as I found a good corp!

• ChromeBallz says:

As a first MMO EVE is actually a good idea, since you won’t be ‘burdened’ by the conventions of other MMO’s. Even Ultima Online and Everquest are good ideas in this regard by the way.

This way you can decide whether you enjoy the MMO or not based completely on it’s own merit, rather than how much it resembles something you already know or not. This way most other MMO’s also seem newer in comparison – My first MMO was EVE, i had no expectations whatsoever of the MMO’s that i tried after that untill the first few games after WoW.

• Didden says:

Check my invite down below for 21 day free trial instead of 14.

• AngoraFish says:

Be aware, none of the images shown in either the trailers or most pictures used in reviews/articles are screenshots from the actual game. EVE has insanely good concept artists.

• J_C says:

What? Hell no. It is true that the game is not as action packed as the trailer shows, but those images are ingame. The ships are just as detailed and the space looks the same.

And it is not the concept artist’s job to make the trailer and screen look awesome.

• Atrocious says:

Yeah sorry to disappoint your grudge, but this is in game graphic. The guys who are making the videos have a special tool to set up situations artificially. So they don’t really have to buy the ships and fly them manually as shown in the finished video. But still, the shown situation is taken from the in game engine.

With the previous update, they introduced the missile explosion effects and in this video you see the new ships and usage of the new micro jump drive.

EVE combat usually doesn’t look as epic as it does in the trailers, because all that people do in real combat is orbiting each other – not flying around in fancy formations. Also, when you are fighting you usually take less care about the nice graphics and rather focus on getting a tactical overview from a zoomed out perspective.

Nevertheless, the graphics and effects are there and are as awesome as shown in the trailer.

• S Jay says:

Never too late to play. I jumped in about 1 year ago, just with the trial thing and had a ton of fun. I am very busy at work now, so I am in a prolonged break. But go for the trial month, I am sure you will have fun.

• Derppy says:

Just try it, it’s the only way to know if you like it or not.

The action in the trailers tends to give people the wrong idea, because you won’t play zoomed in to see rockets taking off and ships exploding while you fly past them at a ridiculous speed.

Here’s a screenshot of the game: http://i.imgur.com/phO3Z.jpg

As you can see, the graphics are pretty irrelevant and it’s hard to make anything out of the triangles on the space background.

The numbers and text is everything, that’s what you’ll want to be looking at and reacting to if you want to be effective. If you can find the right kind of numbers and text satisfying, then you’ve beaten the first major obstacle in getting into EVE. There’s a reason why people call the game Excel with a space background.

The second obstacle is approaching other players. The community is great, I haven’t really got into the game, but the times I’ve tried, people have been really helpful. Generally in MMO’s, if you ask a stupid question, you’ll get called a stupid fucking noob, but in EVE if I asked stupid questions, people gave me advice and offered further help.

Still, even if the community can be nice, you’ll have to approach the other players yourself and make buddies. Playing EVE solo is incredibly boring and the true beauty of the game is in the player corporation business. If you make buddies and join a corp, then you’ve beaten the second major obstacle.

The third obstacle is not quitting when you get incredibly frustrated. Lots of other players will try to screw your over and when they succeed and you lose anything from days to months of progress because of it, you either channel the anger to planning revenge, or you think why the hell you committed so much to a game and quit.

EVE is quite an amazing game and there’s really nothing that compares to it, but it isn’t a game for everybody.

• Didden says:

There is a new camera tracking option, that actually makes it look much more cinematic, if that is what you’re after. Press the C key while selecting something.

2. Arbodnangle Scrulp says:

Still no salvage drones?!?!?

Yet again no love for us hisec carebears. CCP hates us. I only resubbed this time because they sent me an offer of $20 for 2 months and I thought I would check out the patch. This time I will let it lapse and not bother again.

/goes back to Far Cry 3.

• jellydonut says:

I sincerely hope you’re trolling. They added a salvage drone and the art for it is awesome.

If you’re not a troll.. how about clicking through and scrolling across the patch notes before whining?

• Crazy Hippo says:

“Salvage Drones can now be manufactured by a POS Drone Assembly Array.”

taken from the patch notes. or are they broken?

• TokPhobia says:

From the patch notes:

New Salvage Drones have been added

They don’t show up in the trailer but they’re on the market. Haven’t tried them out yet though.

• SalsaShark says:

>no love for us hisec carebears.
      Seriously? Every patch seems to exist to prevent “exploits” AKA non-consensual pvp of any kind. Crimewatch is no different and is yet more proof that unsubbing was the right thing to do.

• Didden says:

Hmmm right. Crimewatch was already in the system, always, they just fixed it. They even removed the 15 minutes of gate gun fire Pirates had, and completely changed the way they worked. So… yeah, if anything, its even more friendly to PvP, tie that to Bounty Hunting and another way to do it. Please read the dev blogs where they clearly explain these things.

• SalsaShark says:

>They even removed the 15 minutes of gate gun fire Pirates had
          Maybe you should read the dev blog.

Edit: And the bounty changes have made it only slightly more difficult to steal the isk of the fool who puts a bounty on anyone. Not that it matters anyone. Someone putting a bounty on you is just the icing on the cake to a successful greifer and will not cause him any loss he wouldn’t have had otherwise.

• Didden says:

I am well aware you have to warp off grid and back. But there is no need to sit for 15 minutes in local, and warping to another gate means they don’t fire.

• Didden says:

If you check the patch notes though, you’ll see there are some big changes to gate guns mentioned there, that is not clear in that image. They are ‘big’ changes.

• Premium User Badge Malibu Stacey says:

Try reading the section on Kill Rights.

• Arbodnangle Scrulp says:

OK it’s a fair cop, I missed the bit about the salvage drones. But what I meant about ‘no love for us carebears’ was that there’s nothing new for us to do! At least another racial epic arc each would be nice, especially for level 4 players, or did I miss that in the patch notes too?

• SalsaShark says:

I’m willing to bet that’s patched out soon, if only because it isn’t a very good idea. The drone change is good and i hope it stays. There are a few positive changes but on the whole it was still a blow.

Edit: Fail reply.

• Didden says:

They overhauled all the AI for NPC’s in the game. They overhauled all T1 frigates and T1 cruisers. That alone is a lot to play with there. But ultimately, maybe you should consider doing more than running just missions. There is so much more to do in EvE.

• Didden says:

But to confirm, I think in the past CCP have said each expansion will focus on an area that can be improved. Inferno was about Faction Warfare for the most part, and Retribution is about Bounty Hunting. They can only do so much per expansion, but its only 6 month until the next one.

3. Scatterbrainpaul says:

Yes, yes, but yes but have they increased the text font size yet? I just want to sit back on my sofa and play eve on my TV without the need for a magnifying glass

• unangbangkay says:

Well there’s your problem! You’re using a magnifying glass at couch distance. You’ll at least need head-mounted magnifier goggles to increase text size at a distance beyond arm’s length.

• Didden says:

Yes, you can now change the font size in the options. They also changed the font to a much clearer one.

• Stinkfinger75 says:

You were able to change the font size when I played a few years ago, but the change in size was damn near imperceptible. You can now make it even bigger?

On another note, CCP have talked about making changes to the UI, has any of that occurred yet?

• jellydonut says:

They added UI scaling at some point this year, I think it was this spring.

Personally I’ve scaled the UI down to its smallest size (’90%’, meaning 90% of default) for monitor real estate, but I think it scales to something like 125% or 130% on the other side of the scale.

4. Dlarit says:

That trailer had more in common with the opening Cinematic for Elite 2: frontier than Eve online

• Didden says:

hahaha yes, quite similar in parts, especially the bit where they ‘jump’.

5. yurusei says:

This has to be the most badass trailer on the internet, narrated by a badass showing a badass do badass stuff, and getting kicked in his badass.

6. spindaden says:

Header image looks more like a transformer than a spaceship.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

That’s not such a bad thing, really.

• Atrocious says:

The middle of the header image shows the new mining frigate. It is a work vessel, like a caterpillar. So I think the yellow color fits.

On its sides you see the four new destroyer class ships. The far left and far right ships are actually not rendered there. The image must be a concept art piece from the last half year.

The ships and other new features can be seen here:

The ships even have a 3D preview on that site.

• El Mariachi says:

The color fits in the same way that the handwaving of “what appears to be stars rushing by in your cockpit window and the sounds of explosions are really just your ship computer making things more intuitive/ergonomic.”

Construction equipment is brightly colored so that the largely-unarmored men working in its vicinity have a better chance of not being blindsided by it. If you’re on an asteroid-mining spacewalk and you’re not already aware of the enormous slow-moving vessel nearby, painting it safety yellow is not going to do a damned thing for you.

Looks cool, but as pointed out earlier, realistic visual displays are much more data-intensive and zoomed-out than the Star Trek trope of using the enormous viewscreen to simply look out the window or have a Skype chat with an alien.

(Has anyone done a space-themed Harpoon?)

7. Didden says:

For a 21 day free trial you can use my invite here:

In game I’m Moonaura and feel free to send me an e-mail if you have a question or need help getting started.

Any returning veterans, I’m recruiting for small gang / small fleet PvP with a twist :)

8. Didero says:

This looks like a pretty good trailer for Star Citizen.

9. Lone Gunman says:

Me thinks that is the worst EVE trailer. The rest are absolutely amazing.

10. imralizal says:

I’ve tried EVE a few times. I always end up leaving because even if the art, music and world building is fantastic and the universe is huge and the systems are (mostly) well designed, it’s surprisingly not fun. I met a former dev that told me how CCP is afraid to make any changes to the formula, fearing they will “kill the golden goose”, and that most players quit after less than six months. This makes a lot of sense. It’s fun to learn and explore, but once you begin to know the game it gets old fast. It’s really sad because for all the development it still seems like “crappy” games like Star Trek Online do the fundamentals better. Combat, for example, is even less skill based than any WOW clone. You have fewer “powers” to play with and there’s hardly any real strategy or tactics. Whoever has the better ship wins, and all you really do is lock a target and turn your guns on. None of the other professions are particularly rewarding either. The emergent game play, cooperating with other players in battle or to run a corp can be enjoyable sure, but almost any mundane task done in cooperation with some and in competition with others will be. That bridge simulator game Artemis does not present compelling game play from the perspective of any single players job, running any given station, it’s only in working together and role playing that it becomes interesting. I don’t mean to hate on EVE, but I honestly feel like, from a game play perspective, it does nearly everything wrong.

• Didden says:

The game isn’t for everyone. I respect your opinion, but what you consider fun, may be different from others. For myself, its the best PvP i’ve ever played, because unlike pretty much every other game – in EvE losing hurts, and when you win, you know it.

• Pyrothem says:

EvE has one of the best skill to win game play you can have with an mmo, that can have more than 1000 players slugging it out.
      It is not the player with the most isk($) wins; if you really learn how to fly and not just click approach and click shoot you can take down the mighty. Here is a youtube video of a guy in a 15 million isk ship taking on people in 200 million isk ships solo and winning.
      Skill Plays a big part in EVE, I am sad that you never got to try pvp out with a good friendly Corp like RSPH (RockpaperShotgun’s corp). CCP does a bad job telling new people how to Fly and Fight but I guess people are better than any auto tutorial.

• imralizal says:

Hmm. Interesting. I wouldn’t necessarily equate best ship with most expensive ship, and there is always equipment to consider. A full discussion of my thoughts on what is tactically interesting / complex and what is not is a bit beyond the scope of this post, but you definitely make a compelling argument in the other direction.

• Pyrothem says:

It is a 15 million isk ship with fittings(equipment) :) the ship alone is only 142,500 isk… if you got a guy that spent over a Billion isk on a ship you can with 5 3week old friends ruin his day and that is what it is all about; it is a game of cat v cat and we all have claws. That is what I love about this game even if you are only 2 weeks old you are an asset to a corp to fly cheap tackle and make a real difference. Name me another mmo where in 2 weeks you fly ops/raids with 3 year old characters and feel needed and useful? :) If you ever feel like giving it another go hit up RPSH corp we are a fun group of guys and one Brazilian. :p

• Hoarr says:

Jumped in to confirm what Pyro has just said. There is no other game on the planet with the PVP depth that Eve online has when fighting small scale battles. Yes there are massive blob fights of F1 warriors but at the small scale it is balls tighteningly awesome. Also RPSH is a great bunch of dudes.

• imralizal says:

He he. :) Well, maybe you’re right Pyrothem, I don’t know. I’m comparing it largely to combat in STO, which I just personally find to be more fun and dynamic, only because you’ll be manually piloting your ship to bring weapons to bear or to move a downed shield out of arc, manipulating your power output, reinforcing your shields, using various abilities to deliver spike damage, heal / buff yourself and allies or slow, drain and de-buff enemies. Now, virtually all of these things have their equivalent in EVE, it’s true, I just find their implementation less enjoyable. I guess it’s just personal taste. And while STO does allow you to compete with veterans after about two weeks, since it takes about that to get to level cap, I wouldn’t say I really LIKE the game. It’s very pay 2 win and EVE stands head and shoulders above it in every regard. I only log in every couple weeks or so to blow something up. It just happens to have capital ship space combat and is therefore a (sorta) reasonable game to compare EVE to. It’s still too twitchy for my taste though. I think my favorite representation of capital ship space combat is probably in FTL. I wouldn’t say I dislike EVE, I think I’m just surprised that I didn’t like it more, because conceptually it seems like the greatest game ever. Anywho, you raise absolutely valid points. Thanks for the invite, if I ever go back to EVE again I would gladly take you up on it. :)

11. Strangerator says:

I played for a few months, and I’ll say that Eve is my favorite game that I will probably never play again. It’s just the type of game that you can spend a significant number of hours playing. I got to the point, while researching how to get into being a trader, that I wound up on actual economic websites learning how the Donchian channel works. I mean, I guess I could convince myself that this was a game forcing me to actually learn things that people pay universities to teach them. Who knows, maybe someday I’ll wind up with the kind of free time for this, but I’m not sure I want that to happen…

12. flipflop mcbop says:

I deleted my couple of characters earlier this year after many months of mulling it over and a couple of years of apathy in Eve. I was in from day 1 and other than the constant melodramatics the actual game itself lost its appeal, I had done pretty much everything throughout the 8 years or so.
    My main was around 100mil skill points.

The biggest surprise of all once I had deleted was how little I cared about it afterwards, it had no effect whatsoever on me. It was by far the biggest thing I learned from the whole time I was in the game.
    Those pixels on the screen really do mean nothing (to me), it seems.

Do get the occasional urge to go back, they do get the shiny lure thing so right, it is from an external perspective constantly appealing. But I’ve moved on.

13. Yargh says:

I can’t play this, too little self control and not enough hours in the day…