Latest Indie Royale Bundle Has Indie Games In It

By Alec Meer on December 5th, 2012 at 9:00 am.

Royale with cheese. I don't know what I mean by that.

As opposed to not-indie games. Apparently there’s controversy when bundles aren’t indie, though I’d appreciate the ill sentiment more if Indie Royale did it, what with the whole indie in the title thing.

Anyway: the line-up for the Indie Royale Winter package is Greed Corp, Hamlet, BIT.TRIP Runner (isn’t that in everything now?), Conquest of Elysium 3, Leave Home and They Breathe. Seeing as I ruined basically hit-attraction techniques by putting all those names above the cut, I’m going to stuff some videos of each of those games below instead. Then I will be high on hits, beyond my wildest possible hit-based dreams. (I don’t have any hit-based dreams, I’m not Rupert Murdoch even if I am almost as crabby).

Greed Corp:

Hamlet:

BIT.TRIP Runner:

Conquest of Elysium 3:

Leave Home:

They Breathe:

Usual Indie Royale rules apply. The minimum price goes up as more people pay the minimum price, or down if generous folk pay more than the asking. Currently it’s at a piffling £2.89, though that will doubtless have changed by the time this post goes live.

What will also have changed by the time this post goes live is my socks, because my current ones are too thin in this cold. Rock, Paper, Shotgun: the internet’s most thrilling read.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Slinkyboy says:

Good, junk, good, decent, junk, and strange.

There you go.

kregg says:

No matter how many times I try, I still cannot get past the second level of BIT.TRIP.RUNNER.

There seems to be these set of stairs that I can’t seem to jump over high enough or on time to land perfectly.

I’ll… I’ll sit in the dark corner now… *sobs*

• SuffixTreeMonkey says:

I struggled with it too. The trick is to bash space (or whatever the key is) in a rhythmic fashion — and quite fast, too. It could be that you can’t press the key fast enough?

Also worth noting that a lot of keyboards (my Macbook’s included) have trouble with multiple held down keys and start ignoring some key presses. (Best example: Super Meat Boy’s holding shift and pressing space sometimes ignores the space.)

Runner doesn’t need multiple keys held down, only some rapid presses. Of course, with old and/or cheap and/or defective keyboards, they presses could be ignored too.

• El_Emmental says:

It’s called “ghosting” (keyboard ghosting), as some of the pressed keys turn into “ghost” and aren’t registered.

Surprisingly, Microsoft has a good article on it (I suspect they bought the right out of an existing one): http://www.microsoft.com/appliedsciences/antighostingexplained.mspx

It’s really worth taking a look, as they don’t advertise their hardware-based “solution” (much), just mention it once or twice, and talk about possible actual fixes.

edit: typo, wrote “software”, meant “hardware” (now changed), my bad.

• The Random One says:

If it’s a hardware problem, using a controller and joy2key would fix it, yes?

Also, I told you about stairs bro. (sorry.)

• kalirion says:

BIT.TRIP Runner does actually have controller support. At least my 360 pad works perfectly.

• monkeybars says:

Thanks for that article. I’ve been looking at getting a proper mechanical board and was confused by what the difference between ghosting and NKRO was. I guess ghosting isn’t solved by just using a PS/2 connection.

3. Donncha O Caoimh says:

Don’t forget the Bundle in a box, featuring even more obscure games than any other bundle out there. Well, mostly obscure. The only game I knew of from the bundle was Delve Deeper but the rest looked interesting enough to warrant a purchase.

• Risingson says:

This bundle actually looks weird enough. Eversion, BTW, is a very nice platformer which you could relate to Braid: begins being something, ends up being something different.

RedViv says:

More people should know about Eversion. Iä!

RobF says:

Worth it for Eversion and Shuggy alone.

• The Random One says:

Obscure games you say? Time to get some HIPSTER CRED

I played Eversion when it was free. ‘Tis cool. I like how the Steam achievement for the super secret end is called “Metaphor for the Atomic Bomb”.

jmexio says:

Might I say that the bonus music if you go a little higher (8 dollars) is quite lovely….

5. pakoito says:

Got it just for QfE3. I was a sucker for Dominions 3 for some months until it burned out, we’ll see what this has to offer,

• frightlever says:

I got it for that too, though I never played Dominions. As I understand it COE is a somewhat more user-friendly more single-player focused game.

Sarigs says:

Same as well, soon as I saw CoE3 there I was hammering the mouse! Been meaning to pick it up for a while !

6. Javier-de-Ass says:

worth it for conquest of elysium 3. jesus christ that game is good

• finbikkifin says:

It really is good. It was the first game I bought after my XP installation suicided and (having lost all the discs) I went to Windows 8, and it’s the non-free game I’ve played most of since. Well, not counting Dark Souls, but I play that on a PS3.

Greed Corp still makes me feel physically sick to play though, the graphics just do something unpleasant to me.

7. Risingson says:

The most uninteresting royale in a very long time, and the one in a long time which is being featured in a single article in RPS. Sad.

8. adonf says:

According to that video, Greed Corp is published by DTP ag. Not a huge publisher but still I don’t think that qualifies as Indie.

RobF says:

Leave Home is still fantastic.

Worth the bundle entry price for that alone but you can still pick up Qrth Phyl, Leave Home and Fren-Ze for just over £3 from Matt direct. Which is totally worth doing because they’re all excellent and just about my fave things that aren’t Minter/Jarvis made.

• The Random One says:

How long will that bundle be available? Until the end of December?

RobF says:

Dunno! It’s been well over one month since Qrth Phyl was released/the bundle launched and the bundle is still there.

• MattJames says:

Yeah hermitgames bundle will probably be up until end of December. I’ll put up when it’s stopping on the site/twitter a week or so before I stop it.

10. The Random One says:

So Hamlet isn’t any good? Ok, I’ll wait for the CYOA book to come out then.

EDIT: Actually, here’s some info that’s actually important: unless it’s changed since the last time I’ve bought one of these, beating the average by even a cent lowers the minimum price. So unless your hardcore Randian philosophy stops you from taking as much of an advantage as possible, add an extra ha’penny or two.

• Baines says:

Hamlet is an okay, if short, point and click that does some things that annoy me.

From my limited experience, the hint system is fairly worthless. I used it twice. The first time, I didn’t realize what the hint system was telling me to do, and I ended up solving the puzzle by accident. The second time, the hint left me *more* confused than I originally was. That time, I ended up resorting to a walkthrough web page, and I just went with the web page for any future issues.

While most of the game is a leisure point and click, it throws in a few speed-based sections, where you have to click multiple locations within a certain point of time. Failure just means your progress is reset, but I found myself “failing” enough times to find it annoying. Particularly in one situation, where you have to successfully click an increasing string of targets and failure means you start over from the first target. It wouldn’t have hurt the hit detection areas to have been a little bit bigger for these trials, as well. There were a couple of cases where I went to the walkthrough after my first attempts failed to trigger a hit sequence, causing me to think that the solution lay elsewhere.

There were a couple of situations, one in particular, where I think puzzle design itself was an issue, but for me to say what was wrong would also give away the solutions.

11. Inglourious Badger says:

Haha Nathan, your videos failed. I only clicked beyond the cut to comment on how I won’t be providing with a hit ……D’oh!

12. tobecooper says:

So how does Conquest of Elysium compare to Battle for Wesnoth? Anyone played both?

• Crosmando says:

Conquest of Elysium has more RPG and roguelike elements than Wesnoth, it’s also much harder than Wesnoth (in my opinion) and many games you will hard-pressed just to survive. Also from a cosmetic perspective Elysium has a more gritty and dark look to it’s graphics, something about Wesnoth’s icons look a bit cartoon-y to me.

• pakoito says:

Completely different beasts. BfW is a heavy tactics game on “small” scenarios, and CoE is heavily economy and exploration driven with creature stacks IIRC.

13. flashgordon says:

People who like turnbased games should take a closer look at Greed Corp. It’s brilliant.

14. Jenks says:

I liked Greed Corp but was a little annoyed there aren’t gamepad controls. Too often a dev does the work to release a game for consoles and doesn’t port the controls over to PC. It would be a great game to sit in front of the TV with (without a word processor input device on my lap).

15. sub-program 32 says:

I can’t believe there are no comments about They Breathe. That game was awesome, and horrifying, once I actually got round to playing it.

16. Gigaloth says:

If you are looking for a decent new indie game for the Xbox check out Produce Wars. It’s actually pretty legit and looks really well done. Kinda raises the bar for the other games on there. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QncZBMsuzu0