Dishonored Dunwall City Trials Video Dishonored By Song

By John Walker on December 6th, 2012 at 4:00 pm.

This is why you should always chain your house down by the load-bearing columns.

The first DLC for Dishonored is, as we know, the Dunwall City Trials. Rather than expanding the story in any meaningful way, this is much more of a mechanical inclusion, a series of tests to apply skills gained from playing the game in its rather beautiful setting. And there’s a new trailer showing it in action. With the most inappropriate, dreadful music imaginable. Take action! Click below!

Unless you arrived directly to this post, in which case there was nothing to click on, and for that I can only express my regret. Take this trailer of some of the add-on’s ten challenge maps as a way of apology.

Oh no – now I have to apologise to absolutely everyone for making you listen to that godawful song. Go back in time and mute it.

This new content appears on the 11th, and costs a very reasonable-seeming £4/€5. Although we’ve yet to play it to know if it’s worth the pennies.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. Stephen Roberts says:

I just threw up a little bit in the back of my throat there.

• Crispy_Steak says:

The song was done by some random youtuber before the game even came out? He didn’t even HAVE the game until bethesda sent him it…

• Eddy9000 says:

“Random youtuber”

• Unaco says:

It’s Dan Bull? It’s painful, that’s what it is.

• Eddy9000 says:

It’s a bit tongue in cheek is what it is.

• Ich Will says:

He’s a thoroughly nice chap, why do people get so personal over taste in music?

EDIT – This was to everyone in the thread not just the one I replied to

• rebeccaadams15 says:

Love my job, since I’ve been bringing in $74h… I sit at home, music playing while I work in front of my new iMac that I got now that I’m making it online..Read More

• Ian says:

*It’s damned bull.

• Safilpope says:

Another of Dan Bull’s hits…

• Rusty says:

Huh. I’d'a guessed “botched gene splice clone of Eric Brosius and Drapht,” myself.

• Brise Bonbons says:

After perusing his website I have developed a certain dumb nerdy affection for his stuff – even though rap + a UK accent is for whatever reason usually a recipe for disaster.

That said, I think the Dishonored song is not his best offering, and on top of that the marketing schmucks only grabbed the chorus to use, which is not only the least endearing part of the track, but also falls more or less flat out of context.

In short, he does some clever enough work, but this video doesn’t really present it in a good light. Which is unfortunate, because it should be a cool thing for a community creator to be featured in an official video.

I recommend the Borderlands 2 and Skyrim: Hearthfire tracks; they were genuinely clever and had, I thought, more interesting production than the Dishonored one.

EDIT: I guess he’s like a real thing, huh? Does he do a lot of paid promo work, or are people just mocking him because it’s the cool thing to do on that side of the pond?

• LennyLeonardo says:

It’s Dan Bull, not Constantinople?

• Zogtee says:

At first I thought “Well, I expected worse” and then there was singing and I cringed. Cringed, I tell you!

• Jenks says:

I cringed and then I actually started laughing out loud.

That said, I might have a similar reaction to “good” rap “music.”

• SavageTech says:

I balked at first too, but the sheer ridiculousness made me enjoy it. Imagining that Corvo is the guy rap-singing the song makes me giggle. I mean we never hear him speak in game; maybe he was just saving his voice so he could drop “mad versez yo” at a concert later?

• tomeoftom says:

Lot of people are saying “it was fine before he started singing”. No, it wasn’t even that. Boom-bap under a generic “oh just get a string section and have ‘em play any old minor toss” B-grade fantasy score is already unforgiveable.

2. Timmeister says:

I like the song..

3. reggiep says:

At first I was like “Oh, this isn’t that bad.” Then I heard “To-night I’m bringing Dun-wall to life…” “Oh…” Wow, that’s terrible.

• aepervius says:

I had wondered also for the starts, sounded ok. Then that aprt came. I clicked “stop” in time just after that song snippet. What the heck they were thinking. I mean why not a rendition ro a change of lyric on the “whaler song” would have been 1000 times more appropriate.

4. Trithne says:

Oh my, what a terrible piece of music that was. At least, the parts with the ‘singing’.

I’m going to get this DLC though – People say that it doesn’t suit Dishonoured, but it’s not really in any way bad for the game, since it lets you practice and perfect what the game offers you, especially since in the course of actually playing the story, you only really pick two or three tricks then rely on them until the end.

Sure an arbitrary level and requirement is arbitrary and gamey, but it encourages you to experiment more.

Also we’re getting that DLC about Daud for story, so everyone wins.

• Godwhacker says:

Yes, I’ll be picking it up as well. I started a second, much more violent run-through the other day, and allowing myself to kill people has really opened things up for me.

I just hope that fucking song isn’t playing over the menu

5. Elmar Bijlsma says:

And suddenly Van Gogh seems less crazy.
    I doubt I could stop at one if this song was playing.

6. GenuineEntropy says:

I’ll have you know that Dan Bull is a national treasure John! Tsk.

Just look at his lovely cheery-chubby-chappy face at the end of his Dishonoured rap video.
    Have you looked? Yea, not feeling so great now, are you you monster?

• Eddy9000 says:

I am also amazed at how few people know who Dan Bull is on these comments! I just assumed that B3ta was so hilarious that everyone must read it. Although to be fair his games related stuff isn’t nearly as good as the more political stuff, the Skyrim rap is just appalling.

• maninahat says:

I had the benefit of knowing and disliking him before seeing this video. Iwasdoingitbeforeitwascool, You’veprobablyneverheardofhim etc…

• Bishop149 says:

Indeed, Dan Bull has done some excellent funny stuff.

I’m quite surprised to hear it on an official Dishonored video, know Dan Bull’s usual style he probably wrote it to take the piss.

7. thristhart says:

Oh christ. That music would have been fine, if they’d just left it an instrumental…

8. Bhazor says:

Wow the phrase “Revenge solves everything” sounds even more ridiculous when “rapped”.

9. Greg Wild says:

There’s nothing wrong with a bit of nerdcore.

Unless it’s used in a trailer for Dishonored.

10. RogerioFM says:

Don’t care, more people and maps to sneak around. And next time, I’ll be Daud, it will be a good day.

11. JayeRandom says:

OH NO, DAN BULL! I believe in the rekkid biznis we call this “trash for cash”

12. tobecooper says:

Haters.
    I’m gonna walk on WATER! Through BALLS of light!

13. StranaMente says:

While we’re at it, at least I think this song fits better. But I heard I somehow am in the minority about it.

14. sinister agent says:

I fear I have sprained my cringe muscle.

15. ClaudiaBrowne22 says:

before I saw the bank draft 4 $5230, I didn’t believe that…my… best friend could realie earning money in there spare time at there computar.. there mums best friend has done this for only about 6 months and resantly cleard the morgage on there apartment and bourt a gorgeous Renault 5. this is where I went, Fox76.com

16. webwielder says:

The good part about Dishonored was most definitely not the story. It was sneaking around cool environments. So this is one “challenge map” DLC I’m interested in.

17. Drinking with Skeletons says:

Dishonored really needed something like this right off the bat. I played it pretty leisurely, but it was still far, far too short on its own (it didn’t help that the longest level completely did away with the “here is a target, here is your starting point, here is the map, now go!” setup of every other post-tutorial level). And with no way to replay missions with all the tools you unlocked by the end–such a missed opportunity–I didn’t have much will to replay the whole thing. I did do some replaying, but it’s hard to take advantage of the more roundabout paths through a level when you already know an easily accessible, efficient route through it; I want to play an assassin, not a tourist.

Arkham Asylum and Arkham City understood this, and used scores and set objectives to make the challenge rooms a fun diversion on their own. My wishlist for this would be for them to impose some kind of point limit on what skills you can bring into the maps. Maybe even let the player choose, with Very Easy offering enough Runes to fully upgrade every skill, with Very Hard not allowing you any skills.

• webwielder says:

I spent nearly 30 hours on my first play-through. I turned off all objective markers and fully explored each environment, going fully non-lethal. I liked how old-school it was in that regard. You have a set of levels, and it has enough faith in the player to allow him or her to get as much or as little out of them as they want.

• Drinking with Skeletons says:

I just played the game for the first time last week when I picked it up in the Steam sale. It wasn’t bad, and in fact I’d say mechanically it’s a fine piece of work.

But I played it the same way you did, based on what I’d heard: no objective markers, did most of the non-lethal routes, the works, and it still felt too short. It’s really difficult for me to justify completely altering how I want to play (in this case, as an efficient, deadly killer) just to get “the most” out of a game. And I can’t overwrite my memories of how the levels are laid out so I can, say, go through the kennels to get to the High Overseer without thinking “this is different, but why in God’s name would a teleporting assassin do this instead of just going up to that convenient window ledge?”

I wish it had gone the Deus Ex route and not given you any upgrades to start with, so that subsequent replays wouldn’t buckle under player experience.

18. Spider Jerusalem says:

get money.

19. danielPT says:

Dan Bull is AWESOME! May not be is best song, but it’s still better than Hitman’s dubstep comercial, now That was stupid.

20. The Magic says:

You’re right, it is utterly inappropriate music. On it’s own it’s okay, not one of dan bull’s best. His skyrim bard song or his borderlands two song is much better in terms of his games related songs.
    Still, pretty cool that Beth put him on their advert.

• danielPT says:

The one from Assassin’s Creed too, that is one of the greatest!

Funny thing, Dan made a song bitching about DLCs x)

21. felisc says:

The ending credits song in dishonored had me reaching for a hammer to smash my speakers too.

22. Lucas Says says:

I wasn’t really sold on this DLC, but now I realize I desperately need more Dishonored in my life.

23. Shazbut says:

They’ve gone well out of their way to make a trailer that doesn’t appeal to me. I’m guessing this is trying to hook a different crowd.

Good game this, well made, but not a patch on DE:HR in my opinion. Not sure what the general consensus is.

24. db1331 says:

I don’t want to listen to it. Is it WUB WUB?

25. NicoTn says:

I have heard worse.

26. edwardoka says:

“To hear the full version of Dan Bull’s “Dishonored Rap” click here.”
    No, shan’t.

27. Stellar Duck says:

Ugh. I do not like the fact that it appears to be set on floating buildings at all.

I might have gotten this if it was set in Dunwall, as I crave more of that city. I don’t crave more of the silly Outsider dream scape part. :(

28. Pliqu3011 says:

Todd expresses my feelings exactly:

29. TheJagji says:

I like danbull. Have been a fan of him for ages. Yes, the disonered song is not his best, but its still better than anything ANY US rap artist have come up with sinse Public Enemy, so don’t act all high and mighty as if you have any right to say its good or not you dam yanks.

Regards,
    The last TRUE gamer,
    TheJagji

• Phantoon says:

“You dam yanks”
      You realize this is a British website, right? Also, what the fuck is this “The last TRUE gamer,” shit? How pretentious can you possibly be? Does the hands of your servants get handwashed by OTHER servants?

Actually, that’s a funny mental image.

30. LeeTheAgent says:

C’mon guys… it’s a fun song! :D

31. Rack says:

Wow, couldn’t they have got Miracle of Sound to do something or just co-opt parts of Distant Honor?

Comment on this story