The Gang Way: Omerta – City Of Gangsters

By Adam Smith on December 6th, 2012 at 3:00 pm.

The first time I heard about Omerta: City of Gangsters, a fellow games journo described it to me as “prohibition era X-COM”. My brain went into overdrive and I trekked across several crowded convention halls, each larger and noisier than the last, in order to sip from this holiest of grails. Flappers, jazz maestros, nickel-a-drink barmen and sharply dressed gangsters combating an alien invasion with nothing more than an old-fashioned, a trumpet and a tommy gun? Sign me up! I had made a grave error. Omerta is X-COM in as much as there is a strategic, personnel and resource management mode paired up with turn-based combat. An updated Gangsters: Organized Crime then? Our first look wasn’t entirely encouraging but will this new combat trailer be more convincing?

I remain unconvinced, although I did enjoy the music. Proof, as they say, is most often discovered in the consumption of a prohibited pudding, and this particular saloon now opens its doors in early 2013. I’ll probably slip in under cover of darkness and see if they’re serving anything that tickles my fancy.

, , .

1. Retro says:

fitting music :/

• The Magic says:

After seeing the dishonoured trailer, i would say this music is even worse for the advert. I get what they’re trying to juxtapose but it just comes off as badly discordant.

• rebeccaadams15 says:

If you think Jesus`s story is flabbergasting…, last month my auntie’s boy friend also earned $7591 sitting there ninteen hours a week from their apartment and their friend’s aunt`s neighbour did this for 7-months and made over $7591 in there spare time on there pc. apply the steps from this web-site..Read More

• lordcooper says:

Bwahahaha! That is truly more flabbergasting than Jesus.

2. TNG says:

Hmm… “updated Gangsters: Organized Crime”… I like the sound of that

• Cooper says:

Aye. It was a good game, I can deal with a revamp.

Although as for “taking of a city” sims go, I’d rather a revamped Republic: The Revolution

• Stazmo says:

I’d like to play Gangsters again. But i remember it being a weird pain in the ass. Maybe now that i’m older and apparently posess more patience it will play a bit different.

3. Premium User Badge FhnuZoag says:

Developers, I know you want us to like your turn based combat system, but you are Doing It Wrong.

It’s all well and good showing us guys standing still shooting each other. But that’s maybe 5% of the gameplay. Show us *movement*. Show us how far guys can move, whether they trigger reaction fire, show us the AI moving around on its own. Show us people revealing stuff in fog of war. Show us picking up guns off the floor. Using special abilities, getting into vehicles, all that stuff.

With a trailer like this, all we know is that guns are involved.

4. Fattsanta says:

The weapons don’t seem particularly deadly, I wish they’d add some danger too the game.

5. Ergates_Antius says:

Why is that gangster shooting at a Pope carrying a spade?

6. ClaudiaBrowne22 says:

If you think Patricia`s story is amazing…, three weeks ago my uncle basically recieved a check for $8715 grafting fourty hours a month from home and their roomate’s mother`s neighbour done this for five months and got over $8715 in there spare time from there labtop. the guidelines from this address… Fox76.com

7. Premium User Badge maninahat says:

It almost looks like Freedom Force. With Gangsters! I could get behind that. All it needs, as far as I’m concerned, is absurd, silver screen inspired taunts: “Nyaaah, pop you full of lead, see?”

8. stiffkittin says:

Holy shit, was that the Klan?

Anyway, sweet sound effects. Boardwalk Empire: The Game? Call me interested.

9. Slinkyboy says:

I’ll definately wait for this. I’m hoping they don’t make it like the new shitty xcom since they did compare Omerta to the X-COM series. Come on I want base management like UD!!