Petroglyph Layoffs Not The End Of End Of Nations

By Nathan Grayson on December 7th, 2012 at 11:10 am.

Target destroyed, sir. Second cotton candy missile salvo ready to fire at will.

Dodging the incredibly strange trend in which games with portentous names become self-fulfilling prophecies (Hello, Duke Nukem Forever), End of Nations has not, in fact, met its untimely end. You could be forgiven for thinking that it’s in pretty big trouble, though. Indefinite postponements and worrisomely far-reaching developer layoffs tend to have that effect. Regardless of how things ultimately shake out, however, change is afoot. The most earth-shaking bit? Petroglyph’s no longer on development duty, with Trion Worlds now leading the charge on the lumbering, stumbling MMORTS.

In a statement to fans, Trion said that quality and fan feedback will be the two central pillars of the game going forward.

“As End of Nations was reaching the pre-launch phase in its lifecycle, we officially brought the game development in house to Trion Worlds and will complete the development internally. Our team has been hard at work implementing many changes based on your feedback from the beta events.”

“We wanted to let you know what we have been hard at work getting End of Nations to the quality level it needs to be at. We are committed to delivering the top-notch product we know this game can be, and we are looking forward to welcoming you back into the testing phase of the game to help get it there.”

The Rift and Defiance developer went on to note that it’s already poured its focuses into de-steep-ifying the learning curve for new players, revamping the UI, and making “advancements” in player strategy. I don’t know precisely what that means, but I now assume End of Nations used to be a highly minimalist RTS in which you could only command troops to “shoot the other guys” or “shoot the other guys better.” Or maybe I’ve got it pegged all wrong. Perhaps End of Nations was once a fighting game in which landmasses themselves slurped their craggy roots out of the sea, put up their titanic dukes, and engaged in gentlemanly fisticuffs. (Obvious disclaimer: I have not played End of Nations.)

Regardless, Trion clearly wants this one to see the light of day. Whether that’s because it truly believes in the project or just wants to recoup its investment, I can’t honestly say at this point. Hopefully End of Nations ends up a stronger game for it, though. And of course, best of luck to all those who’ve had their employment affected by this tumultuous saga. It’s not the end of the world, but it sure can feel like it.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Hmm-Hmm. says:

I consider any news wherein a game developer is pulled off a game of theirs bad news. Especially when it’s a developer like Petroglyph. Who knows how far along End of Nations is, and what Trion will do with it.

2. Aaarrrggghhh says:

” but I now assume End of Nations used to be a highly minimalist RTS”

Exactly my impression of the game during alpha and as I tried it again during beta.
    Don’t get me wrong, this might be something people are looking for but if you are looking for a rtS game you won’t find it there. It’s more like RTs.

• LionsPhil says:

If you are looking for something minimalist and action-y and RTS, AirMech is pretty interesting. (If you launch it via Steam it’ll use that as your account authentication, rather than signing up for yet another separate one. You can then also use Steam’s OpenID to post on the forums. Working integration!)

3. australopithecus says:

Nathan, please don’t use “going forward” in your posts. The phrase is just meaningless business-speak. I have to endure moronic middle managers bleating it all day to try and make it sound like they’re doing something, as they proactively action KPIs going forward. Please don’t make me me read it at night on RPS too.

You’ll notice that the phrase is completely redundant. The sentence loses no meaning whatsoever without it: “quality and fan feedback will be the two central pillars of the game” vs “quality and fan feedback will be the two central pillars of the game going forward”.

4. solymer89 says:

I’ve played this one in beta and there were a couple of things that rubbed me wrong. Your limited to controlling two types of unites based off the squad type you’ve chosen, and there were only a handful of maps you would jump back and forth in to to play on. My thoughts initially were that the world is one large PERSISTENT landscape that the factions fight over. I was thinking it was going to be something like Planetside 2. That kind of bummed me out, I mean I like the squad based RTS games such as the Warhammer 40K games, but this game was not anywhere near as interesting or fun. There were no massive battles because everyone was limited it what units they could field and then there are only four to six people in a given map.

Anyways it was fun for a little bit, but it wasn’t something that I’m going to play in the future unless some major changes to the gameplay happen.

• Dreforian says:

[Obligatory Shattered Galaxy plug] I wanted it to be SG 2 basically. What you describe sounds like SG with training wheels. I’m particularly bugged by the “squad type” you mentioned. It seems like a needless restriction that mostly just stifles creative squad comp and at best prevents players from creating totally unfocused squads (which they can easily learn to do from watching better players). More freedom would make your squad more flexible, for instance bringing an all-rounder squad to a small battle or a more specialized squad to a larger battle to take on a roll within a greater army.

Blah blah blah, hopefully Trion Worlds knows how to blend RPG and RTS elements better. Maybe they could ask Kautari and 1C for some advice? SG was a lot like King’s Bounty except real-time and no restriction on having more than 1 of the same type of unit in a party. Also.sppppaaaaace.

5. EPICTHEFAIL says:

I forgave the game most of its flaws (bar the horrendous pathfinding) by virtue of the music. Few things beat throwing a wing of giant flying bricks with cannons at someone while a heavy metal choir blares in the background.

Comment on this story