What’s In The Eclectic Bundle In A Box?

By Craig Pearson on December 7th, 2012 at 3:00 pm.

Read the title like you're Brad Pitt
Would David Fincher’s Se7en be any better if the revelation at the end was that the box contained a pile of indie games for almost no money at all? It would certainly be less psychologically damaging to Brad Pitt to discover the Lovecraft inspired platformer Eversion in there instead of (a box of fluffy kittens for sale – spoiler ed). And while he lived happily ever after he could think back to that lovely day when he and Morgan Freeman and Kevin Spacey all hung out in a dusty field playing indie games. That’s the power of cheap indie games, people: they make you forget someone killed loads of people in really horrible ways.

Anyway, to answer the rather insistent detective, the Eclectic Bundle has no theme. To know ‘what’s in the box?’ is to know about a random assortment of oddball games. For the minimum price of one dollar, you’ll be handed the delicately eerie platform Eversion, the deeply dwarvy Delve Deeper and its DLC, the strategic oddness of War of the Human Tanks, the popely pulp of Shadows of the Vatican – Act 1, and Fibrillation. That last one I’m putting a video of below, because I hadn’t heard of it until now and I have a sneaking suspicion that it might be an official sequel to Se7en, reuniting everyone who made the original, but in a game. Let’s watch.

Oh well. I’ve played two of the games in the bundle and can tell you Eversion and Delve Deeper are definitely worth a dollar, and maybe a few coins more. Generous backers who pay more than a paltry $2.70 will get The Adventures of Shuggy, Stay Dead, The 4th Wall, and Flibble in their ‘box’ as well.

, , , , , , , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Revolving Ocelot says:

I looked in the box and found a Dahl-manufactured pistol.

….what?

2. RobinOttens says:

Funny. The only one I’d heard of before this was Fibrillation. So I don’t know about the others, but the demo I played of Fibrillation was ok. The voice acting got really annoying after a while, the (implied) story seemed a bit generic and most of it was just walking around in pretty but empty environments. I’m curious if the full game does anything to mix that up.

Oh wait, The 4th Wall is in this as well? Now I’m slightly more interested.

• hello_mr.Trout says:

i played (and finished fibrillation) – the voice acting was like, super sub par, and the story line was generic, and the puzzles were fairly basic, yet despite all these things, i thought it was pretty ace – apparently it was the work of a single developer, and created in 3 weeks – i really enjoyed the atmosphere and graphics, reminded me of a really condensed version of ‘kairo’ in a lot of ways.

3. The Random One says:

“Ecletic” is a good way to describe a bundle with no theme, especially because when I got the email about it yesterday I thought it read “Erotic Bundle”

4. yogibbear says:

Imagine if you hadn’t seen Se7en yet… how terrible your taste in movies must be… and how Kevin Spacey’s name being dropped just ruined part of the movie for you…. AHAHAHAHAHAhaahahHAHAHAh I’m so glad I’m not one of those people.

• AngoraFish says:

Surely there’s a seven year statute of limitations on spoilers?

edit: Also, Soylent Green is people!

• belgand says:

Perhaps it’s the wrong time and place, but I never understood the problem there. I mean, yeah it’s people, but you already enjoy it and it’s not like they were hunted involuntarily or something. Frankly it sounded like a humane, sensible solution to their problems.

Lambchops says:

Eversion is a pretty good platformer, though I gave up through frustration at some point. I seem to remember it inspired me to write some foul mouthed MS paint illustrated nonsense about how those platform jumps where you have to jump out then move back in without bashing into the block one space above you or else you’ll fall into the fiery bit of doom below you. You know the ones . . . bloody irritating they are.

6. manitoo says:

It’s been said before, but these bundles totally reorganize one’s idea about a game’s value. I’m sitting here deciding whether $3 is too much to pay for Eversion, Shuggy and The 4th Wall–all games I’ve heard great things about.

Has anyone played Delve Deeper? The concept looks good but it could easily be terrible.

• echoMateria says:

Delve Deeper plays like a board game, like the ones where you make the board piece by piece as you play along. You can put the pieces for your dwarves to explore on your side or on your rivals paths to direct them into dangerous places. Then you send your dwarves to grab loot and try to have them return back safely. It can be played solo against AI or with up to 4 players hot-seat. I got it some time ago and had fun playing it. But I love board games, it may be a factor on whether you’ll like it or not.

• manitoo says:

I love board games. Sold!

• Baines says:

I bought it back during a Steam sale. I’ve really only played it once, losing badly to the AI, but it was fun.

But yes, it is a board game. You place tiles to expand the map. You take turns with the AI to move and act, and then all the monsters act. Etc. It just wouldn’t have been made as a real board game because of all the things that would have to be tracked.

• echoMateria says:

Oh I have boardgames like that, ones that give me a headache to try to run it smoothly while keeping all the players entertained; playing the monsters side, keeping a thousand gears turning to keep everything working. @_@

• Jad says:

Shuggy is great. Got in one of the Humble Bundles, loved it.

One of the things I like about it that while it is admittedly yet-another-indie-puzzle-platformer, it mixes up the format a little bit: the standard template is introduce a mechanic on a simple level, then explore the mechanic in the next couple of level, ramping up the difficulty, and then once the designer has beaten that mechanic into the ground move on to the next mechanic.

Shuggy gleefully just does whatever it wants whenever it wants, this level is a brain-bending time-manipulation one, the next is crazy gravity, the next you’ve got clones of yourself running around, then back to time travel but with some wild twist, then mix a couple of them together, then a new mechanic, etc.

Also the style is charming and the music is great and the puzzles are nice and it doesn’t try to do to much or get overly ambitious with plot, just fun.

7. qrter says:

The thing about Seven that drives me round the bend is how eager and willing people seem to be to spell its title with that stupid “7” in. It has to stop! IT HAS TO!

xao says:

Yes, how dare people refer to something by its name?

• AngoraFish says:

Se7en is not grammatically correct and unpronounceable as written.

Perhaps it could be written Se-Seven-En (like I-Heart-Huckabees) but either way, it’s not English, it’s gibberish.

The fact that the name requires prior knowledge of the director’s preferred pronunciation is a huge warning sign, since written English is primarily about comprehension.

In this case, the movie has always been discussed as “Seven”, which in English is spelled S-E-V-E-N. Movie companies are not entitled to change English for promotional purposes, or at least, we are not obliged to adopt their self-imposed exceptions.

Introducing symbols into normal words is a cheap gimmick invented in the 90s to con journalists into reproducing corporate logos in text.

• ArcaneSaint says:

I’ve always pronounced it SE-SEVEN-EN, ’cause that’s what it says on the box! Haven’t watched it yet (I think), but if the producers decided to give it a silly name like sesevenen, than who am I to go against that? It’s their decision, the least you is respect that, instead of changing the title to “seven” just for your convenience, since you’re too lazy to say it the way they clearly intended it to be said: sesevenen.

And yes, I do this with all names, like Thifourf and Fthreear (or should that be spelled F.THREE.A.R.?).

• lordfrikk says:

It’s a stylized title, grammar doesn’t even come into play here.

• limimi says:

Take the Jewish name Joab for example. In the western world, that name would be misspelled more often than not. Would someone then tell a Joab that ‘In the Lawnmower Man, the character is named Jobe, not Joab, therefore Jobe is the correct spelling of your name.’ or alternatively ‘In the bible, the name is spelled Job, so your name is spelled Job’?

No, that would be insane and rude. Joab and Se7en are proper nouns and proper nouns have no cares for legibility or ease of communication.

(note: I feel like the best position to take is to not care how its spelled, which is the position I take. I don’t care if it’s Seven or Se7en or SeSevenven or whatever.)

• Dances to Podcasts says:

The 7 is just a sideways v.

• belgand says:

The early posters and such didn’t use that spelling. AFAIK it only became common later once the DVD was released. It was even on the VHS box. It was used in the titles, but that’s about the only place it was commonly used until recently.

8. Totally heterosexual says:

War of the extremely anime human tanks.

Was there ever a WIT about that game?

9. Slinkyboy says:

I think RPS is on drugs sometimes. Maybe every time, because I don’t read most of your articles, but when i do, it’s stupid bat shit in-between.

• Lucid says:

Man, that’s why I love it.

It’s refreshingly insane.

• wu wei says:

I don’t read most of your articles

And yet you remained convinced that your opinion is somehow of interest to everyone else.

Here’s an idea: start your own blog!

ffordesoon says:

What does “stupid batshit in-between” mean?

Seriously, I’m asking. It’s a hideous descriptor. Maybe if you read their articles, you could learn how to write a proper putdown? Just a thought.

10. echoMateria says:

Awesome people at Kyttaro Games that are hosting this bundle are also directly supporting upcoming game developers:

For every 100 bundles sold $10 will be added to our Indie Dev Grant and the whole sum will be awarded to a developer selected by vote; no strings will be attached as to how the grant will be used.

Our next release 99 Spirits is one of the candidates for the Indie Dev Grant. You can vote for your favorite from the bottom of your keys page after purchasing a bundle.