Quake II Is 15, You Are Old

By Nathan Grayson on December 8th, 2012 at 11:00 am.

I remember when I turned 15. It was pretty unspectacular. I couldn’t drive yet, I didn’t really have much of a party to speak of, and hardly any of the entire Internet used it as an opportunity to fondly reminisce about rocket jumps and murder. But now, Quake II turns 15, and suddenly it gets the royal treatment. Bizarre, right? It really is just the darndest thing. Maybe everyone’s still waiting to leap out and surprise me. I bet that’s it. Any second now. While we’re waiting, though, I suppose we can discuss some crazy Quake II factoids. But only just for a bit. And you have to put on this party hat and pretend to be having fun. I demand it.

On the official Bethesblog, the publishing powerhouse used the occasion as an opportunity to dig out some of the legendary arena shooter’s dirtiest secrets. For example:

• Only three artists made all the 2D and 3D art for the entire game.
  • One of the original suggested names for QUAKE II was WOR, but the game’s fast-paced, tactile feel felt closer to a QUAKE game than a new franchise.
  • ‘The Edge’ (Tim Willits’ favorite deathmatch level in QUAKE II or any other game), has over 50 trick jumps possible in the map. Tim only designed two of them, and the rest were discovered by the QUAKE II community.

Enlightening! But also, WOR? Really? That was 15 years ago. Fact is, there were only three videogames out at that point. id could’ve chosen almost any other name.

Still though, happy 15 years, Quake II. And happy probably-a-lot-more-years-than-that to everyone reading this. Did you all know that Gamecubes are “retro” now? Yep. But why lament our own fragile mortality when we can gleefully remember the times we put an end to other people’s? What’s your best Quake II memory? Favorite weapon? Level? Let’s leave no stone unturned and no jump pad un-sproinged.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. PC-GAMER-4LIFE says:

Still one the most seminal FPS on PC update with modern GFX please ID this would have been a better decision than Doom3 HD!

2. Caiman says:

You know, I… uh… well, I never actually played Quake II. Crazy, right? Played the hell out of Quake 1. Played the hell out of Quake 3. But I spent about 6 months 15 years ago not playing any PC games, and that’s when Quake 2 just happened to be released. I should play it some time.

• Toberoth says:

You’re not missing too much. I remember it mostly for the coloured lighting, but honestly it didn’t really hold a candle (no pun intended) to the first Quake.

• Tancosin says:

No pun intended? HA! You’re on RPS! Of course the pun is intended!

• miuqnbsab says:

10.1 inches Andr oid 4.0.3 Rockchip2918 1.0GHz Tablet PC with external 3G, Wi-Fi, 1080P HDMI playback, capacitive touch! Christmas is coming! This is a nice gift! Super Stick! 30% off! I like http://eror.name/c3d3do

• Groove says:

10.1 inches…capacitive touch! Christmas is coming! This is a nice gift! Super Stick!

LADIES.

• Lemming says:

The LAN Multiplayer was sublime. Many a college free period spent fragging.

• Jenks says:

Quake remains my favorite game of all time, and at best I played a total of 10 hours of Quake II. I remember being hugely disappointed and turning right back to Quakeworld for some more Team Fortress and 3wave CTF.

• Sic says:

Compared to Q1 it’s shite. You didn’t miss much. The single player is particularly horrible.

The only positive thing I have to say about QII, for my own sake, is that it introduced me to rather complex multiplayer mods. CTF, for instance.

3. Shadowcat says:

WOR FACE, obviously.

4. Casimir's Blake says:

Seminal, but Quake II marked a transition to linear, connected “levels”/maps as opposed to the distinct episode / map system in Quake, Doom, Duke 3D et al. Further, this pushed FPS in a more realistic (and not necessarily always desirable) direction: Quake IIs maps were – largely – corridors and rooms in military bases. Quake maps, by comparison, were a smorgasbord of dark medieval-“tech” monstrosities, mazes, cathedrals and dungeons. They may have aged less gracefully, but their tendency for the unpredictable and abstract arguably makes them far more interesting places to be playing in.

QII was, and still is, a solid shooter with satisfying gunplay and deathmatch. Its forebear may suffer from slippery controls and inferior visuals, but I would argue that it is still the more interesting and inspired game. Also the last ID product with Romero, if I recall. Perhaps quite telling, even if Daikatana sucked.

• Echo Black says:

Romero was not on board for Quake 2. He left before Quake 1 shipped

• Shadowcat says:

You have confusingly phrased your agreement in the form of a disagreement.

• Rhuhuhuhu says:

I would say that Quake II by his own merit is a good game. Plays well, lots of funny stuff in it and one of the last games to feature total overhauls: http://sourceforge.net/projects/quake2xp/files/

It’s also a very ironic game: The first Alien-eske game where evil aliens in military bases must be ass-wooped. The first game where all levels were military themed, with the occasional cave or mine. The game is considerably more linear and streamlined then its predecessor, while moving closer to a gritty realism atmosphere.

15 years later, it’s bastard child Killzone can be proud on all the elements it inherited of it’s dad.

• asshibbitty says:

I think the episodic thing had more to do with the distribution model, Q2 had a tiny demo iirc, older games gave you an entire episode for free.

• mr.black says:

I really miss those “complicated” multi-layered levels and that distinct “Oh, I’m back here again, just on the other side!” feeling.The last great game I remember had it (probably cause of Black Mesa) was HL1..

BathroomCitizen says:

Yeah. As a commenter above us had said, I really feel connected to these places even if their level of detail is abysmal.

Maybe it’s because the mind has the freedom to fill in the gaps.

• LkMaxBr says:

Quite the opposite, the ability to go back and forth between levels made Q2 actually a bit LESS linear than the other classic shooters.

5. Shadowcat says:

> and no jump pad un-sproinged

I can confirm that there are no un-sproinged* jump pads in Quake 2.

(*) also no sproinged jump pads.

Carra says:

For me it started with Quake 3. But I played a lot more UT…

7. Unrein says:

QUAD DAMAGE!

Shockeh says:

Playing Action Quake 2 on Q2DM1, and dying from the smallest fall. The best mod on Quake by a long way, and probably hugely influential on the gamer I am today. Good times.

• apa says:

AQ2 really was the best mod. It “made me”, or at least it made me buy the first 3d card :)

ToimintaHumppa FTW! (though there wasn’t “ftw” back then)

• RogB says:

this. AQ2 was the badgers nadgers.
      bandaging, silent slippers, jumping flying kicks off rooftops, throwing knives (instakill), the handcannon, holding onto an unpinned grenade so when you died you blew up and usually took the killer with you. Happy days!

• Nick says:

Yeah it was great, especially when it was updated to be team vs team. LIGHTS, CAMERA, ACTION!

• Phydaux says:

Freeze Tag was my mod of choice. I still miss the people I used to play with on the old Firefox server (before the browser got its name). I suppose Q2 is probably one of the games that made me. It was my first online multiplayer game that I’d ever played. While Quake Live comes close to the fun of Q2, it doesn’t have the same community feel. But at least each Christmas I can pretend I’m playing Q2 again as QL enable Freeze Tag for non-premium accounts and add in Q2DM1 slightly re-modelled, with Christmas decorations.

15 years… I do feel old.

9. jon_hill987 says:

I remember when I was 15, I bought Quake 1. It must have been a re-release version as I’m still the right side of 30…

lazy8 says:

When I was 15 Manic Miner was released, still a high point in gaming for me.
      Suddenly I feel very old.

LTK says:

Let’s see if I can remember. For number keys one to zero: Blaster, shotgun, machine gun, super shotgun, chaingun, grenade launcher, hyperblaster, rocket launcher, railgun, BFG. Is that about right?

I played this game to death when I was a kid. Fifteen years ago I was eight years old and started playing this after my dad bought it for himself. I had god mode enabled the entire time. Also, I probably didn’t know how saving and loading worked, so I kept playing the first levels over and over again. Was fun, though!

• nil says:

MG and SSG swapped, hyperblaster and RL swapped.

Yes, I am slightly embarrassed to still know this.

11. danimalkingdom says:

Railgun, playing CTF at secondary school. Twice a year they rigged the IT department into one huge LAN game. £1 to play. I’d never played multiplayer deathmatch before that. Good memories.

stahlwerk says:

Playing Tokays Tower, Q2DM2, with my friends shortly after it was released in the multiplayer mappack patch (yay early internet!) was the most fun I ever had in any multiplayer game, local or wide area.

13. Prime says:

For me, Quake 2 was my entry into the world of hardware accelerated 3D. My first purchase – a simple 4mb 3DFX board that installed alongside my regular 2D graphics adapter (I swiftly upgraded to the 12mb Voodoo Banshee which combined the two forevermore). It was a magical jump from software rendering to hardware, and I vividly recall playing the Q2 demo at least a hundred times, skulking about in the darkness beneath the end of level beastie that awaited…

I also loved Q2 for the advances it brought. enemies that might not be dead when they went down (repeated in Rage, oddly enough). A world of blood and metal and brutality that felt miles more mature than Q1’s demonic scribblings. Masterful NPC animations, giving true weight to those lumbering metal monstrosities. Ai that, while primitive, still presented quite the challenge. Although the game ran out of steam towards the end, it’s levels becoming a little too ‘samey’, it was still an immensely enjoyable game. Happy Birthday Quake 2.

• Mrs Columbo says:

Yeah Quake 2 was my first experience of hardware graphics – it blew my tiny mind. It also inspired me to get my first memory upgrade, doubling down to a massive 32 MB.

particlese says:

I played the game in software mode for quite a while. Eventually, though, I saved up enough money (probably through mowing lawns) to buy a Graphics Blaster (Creative Labs) Riva TNT with 16MB of memory. Pretty sure it was the slower PCI version, too…I don’t think the computer had an AGP port.

The thing that impressed me most after the upgrade was the colored lighting. Shades of brown it may have been, but it looked amazing at the time. And the frame rate was so high!

14. H-Hour says:

Quake II was the first game that made me say: “I wanna do that.”

15. Elmar Bijlsma says:

“Only three artists made all the 2D and 3D art for the entire game.”

And all of them liked the colour brown. A lot.

BathroomCitizen says:

Or was it orange?

The first singleplayer level’s skybox still gives me nightmares.

16. John Connor says:

I just love the soundtrack. I still listen to it sometimes and just rock the fuck out.

• Alphadrop says:

Ah the Quake 2 soundtrack, adding it to Quake 4 makes that game so much better.

particlese says:

Haha, wow! I have the number “4” engrained in my head with respect to this soundtrack, and going through a Youtube playlist, I remember being in love with tracks 1, 4, and 9. Now, though, I tend to make a DO NOT WANT face at this kind of metal and would like to offer an apology to my parents and their stereo system!

That said, the first riff in track #1 is still totally sweet. :D

• Maurish says:

Oh the soundtrack is definitely one of the best. I was so impressed when I first heard it and I still consider it to be a masterpiece. I’d rather listen to it than the majority of mumbo-jumbo that’s out there.
      Only a couple of games have managed to pull off something so rich and engaging. Lately the background music in games has been just an ambient noise. Torchlight II’s soundtrack has been my favourite this year.

17. mr.black says:

When I was 15 I was just a year away from getting my own PC, so I didn’t knew squat about gaming world. All I knew, I heard from my mother who worked with one of rare computers back then, that there was some awesome new game called Duke Nukem and something called boom-boom (her interpretation).
    That said Quake 2 is my first and most cherished Quake game.

18. Grey Ganado says:

Happy belated fifteenth birthday, Nathan.

19. Hunchback says:

Damn, Q2 is actually a game of my “juvenile-gamer” years, if i can put it that way.
    Started with Commander Ken, Hexen, Doom, Wolfensetein…

Shiet, I am ancient! :(

20. obvioustroll says:

First game I played to show off my 3d graphics card. Before that I played in 2d… hmm, wait a sec…

21. Sander Bos says:

I don’t know whether the Quake II 15th birthday is really that an important occassion. Only 1.5 years until Far Cry’s 10th anniversary!

But for me Quake II is relevant because it is and very probably always will be the game I played the most in my life, because of almost daily after work LAN play. Q2DM2 as already mentioned by stahlwerk is my favorite level, but I also really remember for having both a great single player and multiplayer experience.

Remarkably it took me only 3 minutes to find a still working server, 15 years on and you can still find a 7 people to play with in 3 minutes, yeah Internet!

22. Jimmy says:

Testing IE4 for a certain tech company while playing Q2 in a tiny 200*150 window at the bottom right of my monitor by the window. Happy days…First DM game I played too, with colleagues on a LAN. Never owned a gaming rig around that time as I was surrounded by computers at work and that was enough to try out Hexen, Castle Wolfenstein, Triad, Quake 1, Doom, Duke, ….and worms. No big graphics cards required then.

23. pingu666 says:

i mostly remmber q2 for q2ctf, gogo grapple :D

particlese says:

I had forgotten about that grappling hook! But now that you mention it, I distinctly remember having a grand old time flying around some cave-based CTF level with a friend using that thing, and shooting the crbots that were mostly glued to the ground, if I remember correctly. Good times!

BathroomCitizen says:

Loved the mods of Quake 2. Hell, Action Quake 2 started a real mod-craving for me, always checking out PlanetQuake if there was some new stuff out there to try.

Also, Quake 2 was the last videogame I played competitively against my big brother, so it’s also a bittersweet memory for me. I surpassed him in deathmatching skills so much that he wouldn’t want to duel me again. :(

25. DickSocrates says:

Never a multiplayer person, I thought Quake II was pretty terrible. It looked awful even when it was new and had no style. Quake 1 is dripping with classic Id weirdness and intrigue, even if most of that is an accident. Quake II is a generic lump of mush. Quake III did a good job of pulling things back in the right direction, artistically, though there was something very off about the atmosphere in that game, probably because it was just copying bits out of Quake I without understanding them.

Then Quake IV went right back to terrible Quake II land with its utterly uninspired enemy and level texture designs. As I said, I have zero interest in how these games play competitively and judge them purely on art direction and imagination.

Quake II is what happens when your lead creative nutcase (John Romero) leaves and you don’t really replace him, you just hire some other people. And that’s been Id’s fate ever since. The last truly exciting game they released was Quake I.

• Muzman says:

There’s always been a fuss about Romero as the Lennon to Carmack’s McCartney. I have no particular animosity for the guy, but since he’s always known as the creative driving force and fan favourite I did some checking. Of the levels and things in general I liked about Doom 1, 2 and Quake, the ones made by Sandy Petersen ( with a little Tom Hall) outweigh anybody else by a country mile. His name is virtually unknown in this topic.

• dmoe says:

It’s been years but that sounds so terribly pop-y compared to what Reznor created for the first game. It’s like Bob Rock Metallica did the Quake 2 soundtrack.

26. Muzman says:

Good to see some Quake 2 love around. It often gets dismissed as a middle child; It’s fiction didn’t really take hold, everyone clinging to Quake 1 or Doom for speed or banging on about Half Life and other things after.
    But it’s really easy to underestimate just how vital it was though, based on those things. It took so long for anyone (chiefly Half-Life) to match it in modability and networking that it was the undisputed king mod platform until nearly 2000, from memory. The sheer numbers of people focusing on creating for this one game for that length of time, with no real competition to dilute things, was completely unprecedented and it’s arguable that its like has not been seen since (Half Life itself does come pretty close though). That hothouse of DM and CTF map evolution, both in terms of visuals and gameplay design; huge single player maps, campaigns, total conversions that left the game unrecognisable. You could go to a LAN and play a crazy new mod every few minutes and not run out for days.

It’s rare to see a system so thoroughly used and so well. Quake 2 was the grounding for a critical mass of inspiration.

• manitoo says:

I remember a period where mindblowing multiplayer mods were being released WEEKLY for Quake 2. Like, total overhauls with custom art and maps. It was really a golden age for online shooting. I don’t think we’ll ever see anything like it again, now that platforms are so locked up.

27. Citrus says:

BEST FPS GAME EVER with BEST SP EVER!

Nostalgia? Probably. But I have this game installed on my PC since 1998 (well I moved the same folder in different ZIP drives, then to CD’s.. then DVD’s now Flash Drive for different Windows) and now all modded out with shiny HDR and bump mapping effects making it even better.

BEST DEATH ANIMATIONS EVER! :P

28. Tom Walker says:

Really? Nobody?

Fine, I’ll do it, then….

WORFACE!

29. SuicideKing says:

Hah. I played Quake 2’s demo when i was 5 or something. Used to get scared as crap. lol.

Downloaded the demo AGAIN recently, and what do you know, it still works. Had to get into the CLI and muck around a bit (i could guess the commands, yipee!) to allow it to render properly, but it was still fun. Could still remember the map. Random mechanical dog still made me jump.

30. the_fanciest_of_pants says:

Q2 was such a huge milestone game for me.

It was the first shooter I played online(I was a latecomer to internet access), first game I played competitively, and the shooter where I finally transitioned to M+WASD. In a lot of ways it started my unending love affair with the first person manshooter, I moved to UT1 when that came out, BF1942/desert combat, Q3A, Halflife, CS… the rest is history.

Supershotgun was and is my soulmate, but being quake, Railgun and Rocket Launcher skills are a must too. Still.. that SS with quad damage sound was the bassiest, loudest thing I had ever heard, and the spray of gore it caused only added to the glee.

q2dm3 The Frag Pipe is still my favorite; so many hallways to stalk with my shotgun.

Happy birthday Q2.

particlese says:

One of my fondest memories of this games came from modding the weapons. I had done a little map editing for Doom (thanks to an editor+book I got at a boook store!), Duke3D, and Quake, but Quake 2 was the first game (besides QBASIC Gorillas) where I hacked around in the code. The ones I remember making were:
    -a blaster that basically shot instagib rounds and used a bluish projectile that had gone unused in the final game
    -a super shotgun that shot one rocket per pellet
    -a machinegun that shot rockets
    -probably a chaingun that shot rockets
    – a rocket launcher that shot 5 rockets at a time that went in random directions, in rough imitation of ROTT’s drunk missile
    -a railgun that did 1 damage (compared to the normal 100 or 150) but that imparted a large amount of momentum to whatever it hit, basically to make enemies fly around the level. I called it “the kicker” since and the term “kick” was used in the code.
    -a hyperblaster whose projectiles made grenade/rocket explosions upon impact

I can’t seem to find my modified code (or my lame/awesome maps…darn you, bit rot), but I did manage to find the unmodified code in my archives. Seeing the C code my 14-ish-year-old self, with no knowlege of programming beyond basic BASIC, delt with for creative fun is actually kind of inspiring…and guilt-inducing…I’ve gotten so lazy with respect to imaginitive modding…I’m going to go make something right now.

• Guvornator says:

I dimly remember a TC that was excellent, until the grenade launcher started shooting tiny marines that exploded. Not that that wasn’t excellent, but the crash to desktop that followed after was loads less fun…

32. x3m157 says:

Have not played Quake II yet, but I am planning to buy the whole Quake series sometime soon…
    However, I have played an excellent TC of Quake II known as DigitalPaint II -> http://digitalpaint.org/

33. nepenthes says:

I was more of a Team Fortress person, so i played the hell out of QWTF amd Q3TF. I remember playing the Q2 single player mode though, and was amazed how different it was compared to the first game- the crazy orbital drop in the intro, the linear levels and actual recoil in weapons like the machine gun.

34. aoanla says:

I’m in the group that has better memories of Quake than Quake II, which might be unfair on the latter. Mostly I remember its levels, and the hub-and-spoke structure, being confusing to navigate (and, even at the time, being somewhat annoyed by the horrible design for the Iron Maidens – something which Quake 4 at least sort of fixed), and finding the game surprisingly “samey” after the (unintentional) grab-bag stylings of Quake. (Plus, I preferred the more ambient soundscape of Quake’s music to the Hard Rock/Metal stylings of Quake 2.)
    And, alas, my computer wasn’t sophisticated enough to give the Amazing Coloured Lighting effect, so I don’t think I noticed the eye candy improvements as much as I might have.
    That’s not to say I didn’t play it to death, of course, including far too much time online in multiplayer (another reason, outside of the game’s control, I probably feel closer to Quake – I played most of my Quake deathmatch on a LAN with people I knew, while most of Quake II online with people I didn’t. And of course, the original Team Fortress mod on Quake, too…)

35. yhordi says:

When I was a kid my dad almost exclusively played Tetris and other similar puzzle games. He abhorred violence, and wasn’t a big fan of gore. With some incredible twist of fate I convinced him to play Quake II over the lan with me. He sucked at first, but after a an hour he was kicking my ass, and it was awesome.

36. Wixard says:

Everything in the 90s was better. The music, the games, the internet. It was all so fresh and innocent. Now it’s manufactured and exploited. Same with games. We went from warcraft and baldurs gate to mass effect and call of duty.

I remember playing quake 2 on dial up. I have too many good memories to recall, but probably the best is going from software rendering to hardware when i got a voodoo 2.

that blew my socks off.

37. Ganj says:

Quake 2 is the most fun I’ve had online in an FPS. Q2CTF is still the best capture the flag out there.

Nothing has compared to the adrenalin and sense of satisfaction of capping a flag in the dying seconds of a game, after having avoided the entirety of the opposing team, or quad+amp+chain rampages, humiliation kills with hand grenades, the rail gun, (oh the rail gun) and the sheer stupidity of the number of keys I had bound in *.cfg files.

38. dorobo says:

I heard strafe jumping was found out as a bug first :)

39. lordbuckethead says:

I have very fond memories of playing Instagib railgun matches with a grapple hook, staying up past 3 am on a school night. I haven’t played too many games quite like it. Boy, I feel old now.

40. Grayman says:

My introduction to online gaming. Every few years I will spend some time with it again. My favourite memory is hurh! hurh! hurh!

41. Red Pen says:

It would be nice if instead of posting a useless short list to ‘celebrate’ the anniversary of Q2, they would put some development work into their current Quake title (Quake Live).

42. R0ll3rG says:

Loki`s Minions Capture the Flag in Q2 was awesome with its offhand grappling hook and brilliant map design, nothing has come close to it since. Teamplay at its finest.

43. alhazan says:

3d explosion models
    getting a frame every several seconds on an s3 virge or something, marvelling at the amazingness anyway

edit: turning 30 next week :/

44. thecat17 says:

I still remember the first time I played Q2 multiplayer. Hilarity was not expected, yet it happened.

Just me and my brother over LAN, playing Deathmatch on (I believe) the first single-player level in the game. There’s this really dark spot at the bottom of the map, low ceilings that I think you had to crouch to walk under, and faint orange lighting which still somehow managed to keep the area almost pitch-black. We ran into each other there, literally. Both of us walking forward for a few seconds before either of us realized we weren’t moving and that the other person was directly eye-to-eye.

I don’t remember which one of us made it out of that blaster battle alive, but. The laughter. Oh, how we laughed. The amount of which was so high, that both of us still remember that encounter to this very day.

I then went on to being completely obsessed with Rocket Arena 2. If you were on Ned’s RA2 Server during its heyday you’d most likely have seen me there, bitching about how terrible I was. Shout outs to sw00p, Wary, isuck, AkA death, 3nt1ty, the BoNE clan, and everybody else who had fun turning me into gibs. Wouldn’t be the gamer I am today without y’all.

45. Nate says:

I think that part of the thing about QII was it came out at just the right time. 3d acceleration and broadband were both catching on.

For me, I was living in the same house as a friend that was designing levels– I remember testing his level (“Shrunken Head”) over and over again, slowly getting better, figuring out how to put rockets where he was running, and how to use the railgun– like there was a thin tripline running from its barrel, and when he crossed that line, it would pull my finger on to the mouse button.

46. Unruly says:

I had written up a long post earlier when this article still only had a couple comments in it, but it got eaten by the vast maw of the internets. So here’s my second try at it.

I just want to say, that despite making me feel old by knowing the age of the game, going back and playing it again makes me feel like I’m 9 years old again. I was lucky and had a dad who loved his PC and PC gaming, so we always tended to have rather top of the line hardware, and when Quake 2 came out we were able to run it with hardware rendering and everything. It was amazing, to say the very least. Granted, I never played the original Quake, so it was a huge step forward from Doom and Duke Nukem 3D(though I had tons of fun with both of those as well).

I ended up falling in love with 3 mods relatively early on, with 2 of them leaving very lasting impressions on me. Those 3 mods were Lithium Mod, Rocket Arena 2, and Action Quake 2. Lithium was amazing because of its off-hand grappling hook and how it made the super shotgun the best weapon EVER. Grapple another player, pull yourself to them, and a single point-blank shot with the SSG was usually enough to kill them. If you had the strength rune, you’d instagib them.

Action Quake 2 was amazing for pretty much everything it did. Location based damage, bleeding/wounding effects, the spectacularly fun jump-based melee, and, my personal favorite thing, the stealth slippers and handcannon combo. Back in the day if I was playing on Teamjungle I could get across the map in seconds using the trick jumps that were all over. Then I’d just run up behind enemies without them knowing, get point blank, and empty both barrels. It was about the only way that the handcannon was useful, but boy was it satisfying. The sniper rifle was also a big favorite of mine. I still vividly remember shooting people in mid air with it and seeing that huge particle blood rail come flying out of them, and then watching them die a second or so later from bleed damage.

And, last but most definitely not least, Rocket Arena 2. Oh how I loved RA2. So many hours spent playing Q2DM1. So many rails ridden and pills swallowed on that map. I had a bad problem of not knowing when to break off a chase so my fate was usually getting popped by a pill someone launched around a corner as I followed them. But oh the fun I had. Chaingun duels in the main pit. Trick shots with the railgun as I RJed over the pit going from the very top platform to one of the middle levels. Chasing people through the sewers lobbing grenades and rockets everywhere…

Oh, and how can I forget the 1v1 and 2v2 arenas that were built into each map? The Warehouse was always an arena I played, even if I had to go for a 2v1 that I was sure to lose. Just stay out of that little hallway on the side if you wanted to survive in that situation. Railgun Stadium was also another good one that I played tons of. Those arenas are something that need to come back in games. I want to be able to create and leave my own team and join various mini-maps inside one big one any time I feel like it. But then again, I’m not sure how well that would fit with today’s shooters outside of something like Halo.

I just wish I could get Quake 2 to run well online. I tried playing some RA2 a couple years ago and even after modding my game with all the fancy new community patches that have come out to supposedly fix everything. The game just ended up playing super choppy, like I was experiencing massive amounts of lag, but it wasn’t actual lag. I tried fiddling with it for a few days, but to no avail. Which made me a sad panda, because I really wanted to play some RA2 at the time.

47. TheMopeSquad says:

Thanks for the kick to my wrinkly balls RPS :(

My fondest memory of Quake was installing it on the computer in the front office (i was in technical theater) and playing it with my friends, we played X-Com on it too. Eventually the teacher thought it would be a good idea to get more computers backstage on a LAN so of course we usurped those and played deathmatch.

48. popedoo says:

I was 16 when this came out. :)

We used to play this solidly at weekend LAN sessions. Rail gun FTW!

Then Half-Life came out and we got hooked on Crossfire instead. :P

• Agricola says:

Happy memories. Must admit my first experience of the game was the PS1 port in late 1999. I still didnt have a pc at that stage. A year or so later I got myself a cheap desktop from Dell (lol) and installed this. Greatest memories of it are the MP. Only had the worlds worst dialup connection so my MP experienced revolved around a friend of mine dragging his pc to my house for some LAN goodness. We were both new to MP gaming and PC gaming in general, having been mostly single player console gamers. So the excitement of setting up the LAN and eventually finding each other in a map was immense!

And then the mods! – I can still hear Homer Simpson screaming as he gets shot in the ass!

49. Tompig says:

DOOM is 19 tomorrow… step aside Quake, its the true god-emperor of FPS’s birthday.