The RPS Bargain Bucket: In Order

By Lewie Procter on December 8th, 2012 at 4:30 pm.

Much like I do every other Saturday, I’ve spent this Saturday looking all over for the best deals on digitally distributed PC entertainment software from across the internet. And guess what? There’s some cracking bargains this weekend. Read on for the detailed results of my investigations, and you can visit SavyGamer.co.uk to find out what games are cheap at any time.

Hotline Miami – £3.49/€4.24/$4.99
Or $4.99 at Amazon.com too.
This year’s gaming masterpiece, in my opinion. Alec put it well when he said:

It seems to want to teach you a lesson, but it is not prepared to explain what that lesson is and at the same time it chooses to behave as though nothing, nothing at all, matters. It’s nihilistic, but with an undercurrent of pitch-black irony and, of course, open sadism. It’s not courting controversy, but it wants to be objectionable. You could, perhaps, call it cool. I know I do. Super-cool. Just don’t expect satisfying answers: expect the narrative of your actions first and foremost, and on top of that a series of vicious events beyond your control.

The rest is here, and RPS verdict here.

Some pretty decent Sega bundles at Amazon.com.
There’s a good mix of stuff here. A pack of most of the Mega Drive’s library for not very much at all, a few different bundles including the recently HD rereleased Jet Set Radioooooooo, a load of Sonic games, a big Total War pack, and a mixed bag of interesting action games. Some of the register on Steam, and you need to use a US billing address to buy these. If you don’t want any of the games Renegade Ops is bundled with, read on…

Renegade Ops – £2.50/€3.25/$3.75
Or you can get a 4-Pack for £1.25/€1.56/$1.88 each. Registers on Steam.#
Comrade Caldwell thought this was quite good, and I’m very much inclined to agree with him. He said:

Nonetheless, the lesson is still learned. Renegade Ops may have a bizarre attitude when it comes to ‘challenge’ – it doesn’t have an steep difficulty curve so much as it has an eccentric difficulty curve. But that fits perfectly with its roots. It’s definitely a game that needs to be replayed level upon level in order for you to feel like the care-free, proudly unrefined badass it so clearly wants you to feel like.

More here.

BIT.TRIP RUNNER, Conquest of Elysium 3, Greed Corp, Hamlet, Leave Home & They Breathe – £3.31/€4.11/$5.30 at time of writing
Price will fluctuate over time, as explained here. All except Leave Home & They Breathe register on Steam.
Leave Home, then. There’s an understated genius to how it rethinks a few aspects of traditional shmup design. It’s a shmup with some generative level design, where it responds to how you are playing the game. It’s got an incredibly stylish neon appearance. It’s beautiful to look at and listen to, and I think that every single one of you should play it. BIT.TRIP RUNNER is fine, although you might already have it. I’ve not played anything else in this bundle myself. If you’re only interested in Leave Home, you could grab it in this bundle direct from hermitgames. That also includes fren-ze and qrth-phyl.

Deal of the week
The 4th Wall, The Adventures of Shuggy, Delve Deeper, Eversion, Fibrillation, Flibble, Shadows of the Vatican, Act:I, Stay Dead, War of the Human Tanks, PC – £1.75/€2.17/$2.81
Or pay any price to just get Delve Deeper, Eversion, Fibrillation, Shadows of the Vatican, Act:I & War of the Human Tanks. The Adventures of Shuggy, Delve Deeper & Eversion register on Steam.
I picked out this bundle specifically for Eversion. I’ve not played the rest yet, but Eversion is certainly something special, and I’d say worth the price of admission for a gamble on the rest of the bundle. Anyone played the other games in this bundle? Some of them look quite good. Don’t forget to vote in the Indie Dev Grant too.

Also of note:
McDROID – £4.99/Similar prices in other currencies.
Alien Hallway, Bridge It, Eryi’s Action & Terrorhedron 3D Coop Tower Defense – £2.50/Similar prices in other currencies.
The Bagfull Of Wrong – 62p/€0.77/$1
Transcripted – 79p. Registers on Steam.
Tiny & Big: Grandpa’s Leftovers – £1.74/€2.49/$2.49
Tomb Raider – £17.55/Similar prices in other currencies. Apply coupon “WINTR-SRVEY-42012″. Registers on Steam.
LEGO Batman – £2.59/Similar prices in other currencies. Apply coupon “WINTR-SRVEY-42012″.
LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes – £3.25/Similar prices in other currencies. Apply coupon “WINTR-SRVEY-42012″.

You can always find more cheap games across all platforms over at SavyGamer.co.uk.

__________________

« | »

1. Simon Hawthorne says:

I’m really tempted by the Tomb Raider deal but I’m finding it difficult for all the reasons the recent “No to Pre-Orders” article stated…everything I see about the game says I’ll like it, so I suppose I’m just worried about the parts I haven’t seen…still, it’s a very good price.

• yogibbear says:

I first want to know more about the DLC… as it might be worth getting it on steam if those DLC unlock tiers end up being worth it. :/

• miuqnbsab says:

10.1 inches Andr oid 4.0.3 Rockchip2918 1.0GHz Tablet PC with external 3G, Wi-Fi, 1080P HDMI playback, capacitive touch! Christmas is coming! This is a nice gift! Super Stick! 30% off! I like http://eror.name/c3d3do

• ShineyBlueShoes says:

The other equally pressing problem is that very shortly afterwards the game will be 25-50% off. That’s just the economic reality that the big publishers have established for all but the biggest games.

• HadToLogin says:

You know this Tomb Raider will have two elements:
      -Lara will be broken by her first kill, so to forget about it she decides to go on rampage killing another 1000 people
      -”to survive another fall, win another QTE seqence”.
      If you want it as decent shooter, then you’ll be fine. If you want it as Tomb Raider, well, it can’t be worse then Angel of Darkness, I guess.
      This game will have same problems Hitman Absolution has -decent game, but different from expectations.

• Yosharian says:

I went for it, 18 quid for what looks like a decent triple A game can’t be argued with, really. I’m sure I will hate all the QTE bullshit, but I’m optimistic that there will be a pretty decent game attached to it, sorta like the way Far Cry 3 was a decent game despite all the stupid popups and handholding.

And even 50% off a £35 game is close to £18…

2. seamoss says:

The RPS Bargain Bouquet listing deals from Green Man Gaming – the end of the world *must* be near…

3. Cytrom says:

Seems like its the silence before the storm…

4. Eschatos says:

Get the latest Indie Royale bundle. Conquest of Elysium 3 is an excellent game worth far more than the total asking price.

• Martel says:

I have no desire in any of the other games in that bundle, but COE interests me. Worth it just for that one?

• ShineyBlueShoes says:

I bought it just for CoE3 after reading Tom Chick’s game diary on it. Now I’m only a few pages into the manual and the icon sits on the desktop taunting my fear of it, still the prospect of it is exciting enough.

• NathanH says:

Yeah, it’s worth £3. Not the greatest game ever, but good fun.

5. Stirbelwurm says:

For anyone not north american, this deal is by far the best this week: http://www.getloadedgo.com/

Essentially, you can get Anno 2070 for 6€. Even if the game is not as good as 1404, for this price, it’s really worth it.

• Gargenville says:

I sort of get the impression it only checks your location through your Get Games account, considering this is the first Get Loaded deal I’ve seen that actually requires an account and the account info includes an address.. Ubi’s crummy uPlay DRM launcher thing might do IP geolocation though.

• Martel says:

Great, the first one of those getloaded deals I’ve actually wanted to buy, and it’s the one that you can’t get in NA. Makes me a sad man

• ShineyBlueShoes says:

All Securom and UPlay DRM FYI.

• fish99 says:

Plus you can’t just enter the codes on UPlay and have it download them, you have to download them from Get Games.

• Gargenville says:

The best one is Driver SF which you download through the getgames thing, then install it and THEN uPlay is like “oh hey you own Driver SF!” and downloads and installs it again through its own internal system.

• fish99 says:

That’s so stupid it’s actually funny :)

• ShineyBlueShoes says:

Considering all the hullabaloo that surrounded the PC DRM when that game came out I’m actually less shocked than I would have expected.

6. Pozen says:

I’ve only played Shuggy of the Bundle in a Box games but it’s excellent. I got about 8 hours out of it so it’s not the longest and apart from the occasional frustrating level its a pretty challenging little platformer. Stays fresh by introducing new mechanics all the time. Worth the price of admission just for that, I’d say!

7. airtekh says:

No mention of FTL?

It’s six dollars on their official page, and you get a steam key as well as DRM free download.

• Dare_Wreck says:

Thanks for this tip, airtekh! I wanted to take advantage of the recent GOG or current Steam sales for FTL, but I really wanted a DRM-free copy AND a Steam key. I didn’t realize the developer was having the same sale, so I took advantage of it to get both! The only thing missing is the soundtrack (something you get with the GOG purchase), but I can wait for FTL to inevitably eventually pop up in a Humble Bundle or Indie Royale deal to get that.

• Malibu Stacey says:

Works out at £3.86 according to Paypal (may be more if you use other payment methods) which is cheaper than Steam’s weekend sale price of £4.19 & more of the cash should go to the devs (they use the Humble Bundle to process payments & issue keys etc).

• drewski says:

$6 for the DRM free version *and* a Steam key. You really can’t go wrong, people.

8. Yglorba says:

It would have been nice if someone had mentioned the latest Indiefort bundle when it started so we could’ve gotten the whole thing!

9. Nova says:

The Euro price of Tomb Raider is not “similar” to pounds.
    29,25 Euro to 21,77 Euro (£17.55).

• Wedge says:

I’d say that’s pretty similar to how things usually work…

10. arboreal says:

My ‘wait until Far Cry 3 is on sale/patched’ resolve is weakening.

Where is it cheapest at the mo’?

11. malkav11 says:

They Breathe is incredibly creepy, based on footage I saw of the XBLIG release.

12. mwoody says:

The sega classics bundle is $5 and comes with a $5 promotional credit towards any of these games if you purchase them in Jan 2013. Frankly, I think it unlikely that I’ll have any games left unbought after the Steam holiday sale, but it’s worth a mention.

13. Kill_The_Drive says:

Shame on you, Lewie. Instead of just giving out the -35% code for GMG you should direct people to take the survey:

• The Random One says:

It would be difficult for me to complete that survey, given that I’ve never bought on GMG before.

14. Tancosin says:

No mention of the Humble THQ Bundle? I know RPS already had a whole post on it, but still.

• Unaco says:

It was in last weeks Bargain Bucket post, along with a standalone post.

15. echoMateria says:

The Bundle in a Box listed as the Deal of the week above has a mention “Don’t forget to vote in the Indie Dev Grant too.” An explanation on how to vote seems necessary based on the number of people PMing me asking how on all the forums I hang out with this nick, this is how:

After buying a Bundle in a Box, you get a mail with a link to a page with the keys for the games you got with this bundle. The pool to pick the candidate you like for the Indie Dev Grant is at the bottom of that page. Click to the check-circle beside the name of the game you like, scroll down to the very bottom of the list and hit Vote.

Our next release 99 Spirits is a candidate for the Indie Dev Grant. Vote for it to help us bring you the best Japanese indie games in English.

16. iridescence says:

I picked up Supreme Ruler:Cold War for $5 (75% off) at Gamers Gate. It has mixed reviews but for that price I figured it was worth taking a chance on

17. flipflop mcbop says:

picked up hotline Miama (steam), Anno 2070 and Settlers 7 (getloaded), and all are extremely pleasing.
    Especially Settlers.

18. ShineyBlueShoes says:

Shame that the Lego games don’t register on Steam, really wanted Lego Batman 2 at that price. Might grab Miner Wars 2081 which is $3.25 on GMG with that coupon.

• dE says:

A quick note: Miner Wars 2081 uses Always Online DRM, even for the Singleplayer part of the game – although the Developers claim it’s not DRM and instead say its “just server interactions”. Make of that what you will.

19. TheMopeSquad says:

Half Minute Hero slipped under the radar and was added to their Big Picture deals about a day ago for $5.99.

Chivalry is going to be reduced to $12 on GreenManGaming for THURSDAY only, so with the voucher you can get it for less than $10.

20. zipdrive says:

Lewie,
    After selecting Lego DC 2 and inserting the code, I got a price of $19.50.
    This is really nothing like the price you posted. Maybe because I’m on the wrong continent?

• ShineyBlueShoes says:

Yesterday was the last day of that price, now they’re running a special on FEAR.