Mega Man vs Chun-Li For Free On Your PC

By Alec Meer on December 10th, 2012 at 10:00 am.

those aren't the thighs you're looking for

I could probably tell you more about the prohibition era than I could about Mega Man games. Did you know that, on average, Americans consumed three times as much hard liquor while the eighteenth amendment was in place than they do now? And that there were getting on for 100,000 illegal speakeasies in New York alone? By contrast, I can tell you that I once played a Mega Man game on a friend’s GameBoy in the early 1990s and thought it was kind of hard.

Mega Man isn’t exactly a PC series, but nonetheless Capcom are releasing official retro shooty-platformers Street Fighter x Mega Man later this month, as a celebration of the series turning 25 and an apology for doing something or other I don’t really understand that made Mega Man fans upset. It features the little blue chap battling against similarly pint-size, 2D recreations of Street Fighter’s man-puncher’s gallery.

The game, which looks and presumably controls like the olden MM games, came about thusly, according to Capcom:

“Singapore superfan Seow Zong Hui (maybe you’ve seen his Dhalsim skills?) approached our own Christian Svensson back at EVO 2012 with the skeleton of SFxMM running on a laptop. Seeing the potential and serendipitous opportunity, Sven shared it with GregaMan and I a week later. We evaluated (aka played to death) it and said uh yeah, this is pretty damn cool. Then it all started coming together.”

As a result, it will be released free to the world, on PC and PC only, on December 17. Here’s what it looks like:

Adds Capcom, “We know it’s been a hard year for Mega Man fans, but I hope this proves our love and intent to the series, and that we have not heard the last of the little guy.”

I have no idea what manner of creature of a Mega Man fan might be, or why their year has been so awful. Maybe they ran out of milk and had to drink their tea black? That’s my idea of a hard time.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. Toberoth says:

Prettymuch obligatory link to Richard Cobbett’s writeup of Mega Man for the PC.

My favourite bit: “Mega Man? Ha! More like Smegma Man…”

2. Lars Westergren says:

Was it the joke character “Fat middle-aged Megaman” in the fighting games they were upset about? I liked him. Some much needed variety in character design.

• Ansob says:

Capcom had one or two Megaman games in the pipeline for the 25th anniversary, then ended up canning them and doing nothing at all. That’s what the fans are upset about.

This is this week’s best news, though!

• Baines says:

It’s a bit more than that., and it doesn’t really tie in with the 25th anniversary. That the anniversary was coming with no new game in sight was just seen as insult added to injury.

3. BreadBitten says:

“…and an apology for doing something or other I don’t really understand that made Mega Man fans upset.”

You’re kidding me, right? Sigh…

A treatment from Capcom was apparently leaked by some prying hands detailing their plans to have the Mega Man franchise be rebooted as a gritty, modern-day FPS where he’s a grenadier for a special task force, “The Light Force”, assembled by the UN. The game was said to be set in a, and I quote, “brown middle-eastern desert” and the story was described as being “a personal journey of a man torn between his life as a bombfighter and a family man”. It was slated to come out sometime next year for the WiiU, with optional connectivity with the 3DS via the, equally cancelled, ‘Mega Man Legends 3′.

• Anthile says:

So basically Hurt Locker.

• AJLange says:

I’m surprised no one is calling BS on this; it’s the first I’ve ever heard, but it’s kind of a … hilarious brilliant idea in a so bad it’s good sort of way? :)

Mostly, AFAIK, people are mad about the cancelling Legends 3 thing. Also the really terrible official iPad game.

• Baines says:

Mega Man Universe was also cancelled. People were less upset about that because it looked like a mess, but it still part of a string of events. It was kind of a no-win game, because it looked like it was going to be a somewhat shoddy effort even if it had been released.

Keiji Inafune left Capcom, and Legends 3 was canned. Both of those were big deals. People had already come to believe that Inafune was the only one championing Mega Man at Capcom. Legends 3 was a rather wanted game by fans, and Capcom had previously promised to create a Legends 3 demo and release it to judge whether the full project would be finished. With Inafune gone, Legends 3 was simply cancelled.

Mega Man was absent from Marvel vs Capcom 3. Classic Mega Man was in both MvC1 and MvC2, while Legends Mega Man was in Tatsunoko vs Capcom. While Mega Man was apparently the most requested character for addition to MvC3, Capcom chose not to add him. (Instead, they made Mega Man themed costumes for a couple of other characters.) People felt he had been teased by the Days of Future Past themed image in one of the backgrounds, where he was the only pictured character without a “Slain” or “Apprehended” label.

• Hilleltaco says:

Mega Man themed costumes for a couple of other characters? Which characters do you mean? The closest thing I can think of is Zero having that blue costume.

4. pakoito says:

This is not a capcom’s game but a fan-made one that got the big C attention and decided to get the marketing team into believing they made it and they actually care.

• pakoito says:

SHAMEFACE!

• Low Life says:

Yes, shame on Capcom for spending their money on marketing a fan-made game. I bet they even paid the guy who made it. What a fucking horrible company.

• pakoito says:

One trailer on #SF25 stream is not a huge spent in marketing.

• Low Life says:

What are you expecting them to do? Have Mega Man posters on bus stops for a silly crossover game? Besides, it’s not even released yet, so we don’t know if they’ll actually have ads on websites when it is out.

Capcom officially getting behind this got the game on the front page of every single gaming news site. That’s marketing done right.

• JackDandy says:

Capcom are still shitbags. They just want another cash-in on people with nostalgia goggles.

Call me when they actually produce a brand new Megaman game while not making a complete mockery of the franchise. It seems to be their favorite passtime these days (DmC, Megaman Xover, RE6..)

• Lim-Dul says:

Yup. They even mentioned that the game is out thanks to fans in the trailer.

People are never happy…

Instead of endorsing the project Capcom might have sent a cease & desist letter to the makers. That happened many, many times in the past (not necessarily with Capcom).

• Low Life says:

@JackDandy:
            Ah yes, the famous move of cashing in on people by releasing a free game. Those nostalgia goggle wearing people better be careful.

@Lim-Dul:
            Yeah, I tried to come up with a scenario in which people wouldn’t get mad at them, but that doesn’t seem possible. At least this time it’s just a vocal minority of silly people.

5. Anthile says:

A Megaman game as PC-exclusive just proves that the end times are upon us.

• Frank says:

This. I’ve never met a megaman fan, either.

• MadTinkerer says:

OH REALLY!?!

Well let me get my monocle and top hat on because I PLAYED THE ORIGINAL MEGA MAN DOS GAME, SUCKAS! YOU JUST AIN’T AS GOOD A PC PLAYA AS I AM!

(And yes, it is and was a sucky port most notable because several assets were stolen from Megaman DOS for the original Duke Nukem and Capcom never called Apogee on it, but my point is that prior art exists in this case, all the way back to DOS. Harumph.)

6. Jamesworkshop says:

i’m not sure Chun li’s thighs are big enough to keep me interested in this

7. Commander Gun says:

Heh, a Megaman vs SF game!
    According to the Megaman pholosophy, i guess we get a stage of each SF character with that character as its endboss. After that one is defeated, Megaman should get a signature move from that character. So eventually, Megaman is able to do a Shoryuken, Sonic Boom, Spinning Bird Kick, and most importantly, the Spinning Piledriver!

8. yurusei says:

I am strangely receptive of game crossovers ever since watching Wreck It Ralph last weekend.

9. Randomer says:

Does anyone know of any PC games that would fall into the “Mega Man X-like” genre? Something with lots of cool boss fights and secret item power-ups that require you to jump back and forth between stages to find. I had high hopes for ARES when it came out, but soundtrack aside it was a pretty huge let down.

• twig_reads says:

While maybe it’s more like Metroid,it still has some of those elements you want – Iji, it’s a free game made by a single developer for 4 years. A true labor of love and a good actiony platformer.

• InternetBatman says:

Besides emulation, I’d say the field is pretty small. Doesn’t Terraria kind of play like that? Sega released a bunch of genesis games in a big collection, so there might be some there (it’s like 40 games for $1.50), Cave Story has similar boss fights, Shank has a lot of jumping in its fights but its pretty different, but I think it’s a pretty small field in general. I would say Cave Story is the closest.

I wish there were games like Megaman Battlenetwork on PC.

• Treymoney says:

I assume you’ve heard of Cave Story? Because it’s free, and it’s brilliant.

• JackDandy says:

The Ys games are excellent for that. Try Oath in Felghana on Steam.

• Bjorkquist says:

I really liked Explodemon, I think it falls under that category. http://www.explodemon.com/

• Panda Powered says:

Knytt Stories maybe. Its more like a metroidvania but its free. Nifflas has done some other platform games but I have only played Knytt Stories and I highly recommend it.
      I can also recommend the fan level Don’t Eat the Mushroom. :P

• Bhazor says:

Noitu Love 1 and 2 by Konjak comes highly recommended.

It has a really unique mechanic that focuses on mouse and keyboard. It also has some of the loveliest pixel art I’ve ever seen.

Another one I’d recommend is Abuse, which is sort of like the Alien 3 game but with mouse controls. No real bosses but still a lot of fun. However, it is pretty much abandoned ware now so you’ll need to do a bit of snooping.

10. Bhazor says:

So swag.

Still disappointed we aren’t getting a proper next gen 2d Megaman game though.

11. MOKKA says:

Looks like I found my game for the holidays.