Pioneering: Planet Explorers Alpha Download

By Adam Smith on December 10th, 2012 at 5:00 pm.

Planet Explorers, the voxel-based construction, exploration and critter-shooting game, has now reached version 0.41. It can be downloaded from Gamefront or using your torrent software of choice but it’s a fairly hefty download – 1.35 gig – so I haven’t had a chance to try it yet because my internet connection appears to have frozen as the winter chill sets in. The game is of the sandbox variety but places players on a specific, designed planet rather than a random world. The aim, at least in the early stages, is to defend a group of stranded colonists by building fortifications and learning about the flora and fauna. Two videos aim to show how exploration and construction work. They are below.

Building a gun is more exciting than building a castle but that’s possible because I’ve built loads of castles in Minecraft, but never a gun. Actually, never a castle either really. I’m more of a crap bungalow type of architect.

, , , .

1. webwielder says:

Waking Mars with guns? And a z-axis?

2. Fiatil says:

It looks fairly floaty but fun, downloading!

3. cloudnein says:

Trailer makes it look like 98.9% critter-shooting, 1% exploration, 0.1% construction. Pass.

Martel says:

Agreed. Sad, the premise sounded great, the implementation not so much.

• lordcooper says:

It would be unheard of for a trailer to emphasise the shooty bits to a ridiculous extent.

• runwalkerb says:

The trailer here is for alpha 0.4, which shows the added contents and some improvements over previous versions. Seeing their website or their page at IndieDB may get a better idea.

• Myarin says:

The character concept art (on the IndieDB page) is spectacularly “why wasn’t this artist snapped up by a big company long ago” great, the music is rousing and beautiful and Avatar-ish, but *man*.

The voice acting is “this is my first YouTube video” horrendous, the animation in the story trailer looks like Monty Python-style cutouts, and the game engine is Revenge of Quake 1.

Ryzom vibes? Nah, not as much Ryzom as Stargate Worlds. There’s a piercing feeling that half the team has a shared vision and knows exactly what they’re doing, and the rest of them are either just starting to learn how to make games or are phoning it in.

(Or it’s one person who’s a super-talented artist/musician and might be happier if they focused on that talent above the rest. Can’t find any definitive staff listing for the game, even on the company website. :/)

4. LimEJET says:

Welp, that’s me out. It used to look interesting, now it just looks like another crappy MMO. And those effects are the worst I’ve seen in quite a while (I know they’ll probably get fixed, but still).

• frightlever says:

I got a Ryzom vibe for some reason. Something about the colour palette.

5. Grey Ganado says:

I can build my own weapons? Sold.

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

I built a sword with extra blades on the blade, and blades on the pommel, and blades on the grip. It is a SWORD OF CUTTING THAT CUTS YOU TOO +1.

P7uen says:

Anyone know if you can construct your own hats?

6. sinister agent says:

I’m confused. I see what looks like a detailed and unique weapon designing system, which could be a fantastic thing for a tactical strategy game (e.g: JA2 1.13 2) or shooter, and then I see what looks like another bog standard MMO complete with the usual horrible controls and combat. What gives?

I quite like the music, mind.

Edit: Also, I should be less mean, especially considering the devs are probably reading, so I am downloading this now, to give it a fair hearing. The exploration aspect does looking promising.

Strand says:

That music truly is splendid. Almost as good as that for the sneak-peak of Stealer last week, albeit in a completely different vein.

It definitely works in setting the mood.

7. runwalkerb says:

I’ve been tracking this game since its 0.1 and I do believe it will make one of the greatest games if Pathea (the developer ) can get it done as promised. It’s much more than a polished Minecraft or a critter-shooter. It is buggy at this stage but it’s still alpha anyway. Kinda hard to believe an indi could make a game with such quality and fantastic features. Just eager to see what will come out.

8. Warduke says:

Looks like a lot of dangerous animals on that planet… or maybe they just don’t like getting shot.

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

It’s like Croydon High Street in that way.

9. the.celt says:

I’ve just been fiddling with it, and it’s much closer to Minecraft than anything typical of an MMO. Some of the reactions here seem very unfounded. I know you don’t have much to go on, but… YOU DON’T HAVE MUCH TO GO ON. “It’s got blue in it? I don’t do games with blue. Count me out.”

I was at their website. It’s very, very early in development. They hope to launch a Kickstarter for it. I think it looks promising at this early stage.

• Tetracell says:

What else can you expect from internet comments? It’s a shame there isn’t a link to download the alpha or anything in the main article so naysayers could give it a shot before just outright dismissing it.

• The Random One says:

Well, I hate to be that guy, but I don’t understand why anyone would play a game with blue in it. Have you ever played any good games that had blue in it? Nah, that one doesn’t count. It’s not really good, it’s all hype. Plus it’s not even blue, it’s just some light blue elements to please the blue-worshiping sheeple.

Chaz says:

So, we can design a gun that looks like a giant penis then?

• the.celt says:

I don’t know if I’ve ever seen one that doesn’t.

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

And you can make it immense, and make it out of diamond, and paint it black. I call it “The Substitute”.

11. BSG11 says:

Before building guns, how about building some backpacks and wilderness clothing? They dress like they’re going out to do some Christmas shopping, not exploring a planet.

• runwalkerb says:

You might have a different idea if you download the game and try a little.

Jackablade says:

Can we play as the duck billed hexa-tortoise? He’s one of the neater creature designs I’ve seen in recent times.

13. Aydrian says:

1.35gb is a hefty download? What? Most titles these days are 15gb+. I know it’s not finished, that’s not the point I’m trying to make. I’m trying to think about how anyone could consider this a hefty download.

strangeloup says:

I read that as “most titties are 15gb+”, and then started on a mad little train of thought whereby games would be smaller downloads if they had better female characters and less BOOBFACE.

In conclusion, I might need a bit more sleep.

14. Shooop says:

This MMO fad can’t die fast enough.

• Feferuco says:

What MMO fad? It is like people see characters swinging swords in a way that kinda resembles MMOs (and also resembles a ton of other games before and after MMOs) and BANG! It is terrible awful MMO and it certainly has everything that’s awful about MMOs.

15. spleendamage says:

Why all the MMO comments? It’s not an MMO. It’s single player and also some multiplayer maps. No where did I read “massively”, which incidentally is the first “M” in MMO.

16. Stevostin says:

It has to be say that while the characters are pretty bland – especially the dude – the landscape is really fine. Construction is what they should emphasize, of course, and maybe the defense thing. Although it’s cool to see believable creeps (if you can believe in a giant chicken that is) moving like animals do.

That being said, it has that german gamedesign vibe that pretend to do as if killing bugs, dinosaur and robot is as fun or even half as fun as killing people, hearing their scream of agony, their widows cry and their heir plot vengeance against you before they flee in terror when you run to them shooting and laughing like crazy.

That’s why zombie are great. They’re the best humans you can shoot in ridiculously high numbers and it’s ok, because they’re already dead, you see ?

17. caddyB says:

And here I thought people on RPS comments actually knew what they were talking about. It’s not an MMO, it’s not that combat focused, it’s an Alpha build.

From the looks of it, it’ll be a very fine game if they don’t lose direction, too.

18. thebigJ_A says:

Christ, *another* World War 2 game?!?

useewhatididthere?