Republic Enemies: Crusader Kings II Expansion

By Adam Smith on December 10th, 2012 at 8:30 pm.

When all of the expansions are in place, Crusader Kings II will be a completely inaccurate title. They’ll just have to change the name to ‘Medieval Chaps and Ladies (also infants)’ because everyone will be playable, even if they have no interested in Papal-dictated conquest or monarchical pursuits. Moving away from the previous alternate history DLC, The Republic is a meatier expansion that should alter the game significantly. Money, not blood, drives the engine of the merchant republics. Venice, Genoa, Pisa, the Hanseatic League and Gotland will all be playable, and Patrician families will have a greater emphasis on trade, cash and political corruption, the latter of which isn’t quite the same as defenestrating your first born. Probably.

The Republic opens for business early 2013 and will cost $10.

Leonard Nimoy would like to tell you about Venice’s history now, if you don’t mind.

, , , , .

slerbal says:

Awesome! More CK2 is a good thing! 250+ hours logged trying to breed a super race of rulers and inevitably ending up with inbred dwarfs :D

• Tssha says:

Hey, split the difference and you wind up with Tyrion Lannister.

Martel says:

Looking forward to this one as it seems to fit my playstyle a bit more. Hopefully I can run a gigantic financial empire to fund my coop buddy’s bloodlust.

3. Hanrohan says:

Got to say, as a student of History, I’m really hoping I get to play as Florence, and conquer Pisa.

• DonJefe says:

I am not a big student of history, so I may wrong here, but isn’t it the Medici’s that make Florence? They don’t show up until the early 1400′s. Which is a shame. I would have loved to play as the Medici’s and scrupulously rule the city. :)

• hjarg says:

Nope, Florence had been around since Roman times and for example, Medicies came to power when the first banking bubble of Florence got busted in 13th Century, City was successful and powerful long before Medicies.

• alh_p says:

Arguably, the Medicis co-oped the republic of Florence and turned it into their private Fief, hence why it would be fun – warping a nice (ha!) clean (ha!) republic to a hereditary state. You’d have to grind Siena into the ground first though.

• Hanrohan says:

As was said by the others, the City was established either by Caesar, or possibly Sulla, sometime in the 60s (BC that is), although in the 1000′s (the first part of CKII I suppose) it was nominally part of the Holy Roman Empire, by 1115 it was probably a republic (this being History from Memory :P). The city became pretty dominant in the area, thanks to a strong economy and a relatively large middle and upper middle class. Throughout the 12, 13 and 14th centuries, the City clashed with the other republican powers in the area, Pisa, Luca, Siena, but eventually ended up on top. At one point, Florence was the largest city in the world, and then the Black Death happened.

There was also pretty continuous wars against the Pope, the Emperor, the King of France, Genoa, Milan and Venice, all in all, its an awesome area of History which previously had a lot lacking in CK2. Hell, half the wars in the area were fought with mercs from France and England, look up Sir John Hawkwood, A pretty ridiculous individual who somehow managed to make money from being paid not to fight.

As for how the game might work, I’m really really hoping that you dont always have direct control, but instead have to constantly work for your family to remain pre-eminent in the doings of the republic, makes it difficult to walk that tight rope between being one of the leaders of the republic and being a prince, alla Cosimo D’Medici.

4. Red7 says:

Why is this a good thing (apart from the obvious) I hear you ask?

The Game of Thrones mod can add Essos now! Woop.

• Aedrill says:

Exactly. That was my first thought when I saw the title. Damn, this will be good.

• Zinthros says:

First thought when I saw the title — GAME OF THRONES MOD WITH ESSOS!

5. MrLebanon says:

*screams like a little girl*

6. fabulousfurrygingerfreakbrothers says:

I love this game, and playing as the Doge will suit me just fine. Now I wonder if this is going to be a precursor to some hot Far East action…

• Kandon Arc says:

I think they’d rather leave that kind of thing to EUIV, although maybe you could get some events near the endgame.

7. Nate says:

“They’ll just have to change the name to ‘Medieval Chaps and Ladies (also infants)’ because everyone will be playable.”

I have to admit, that is the game of CK I want to play: spend a few generations as a nobody, eventually marry into a weak claim, beg borrow or steal an army, and get myself a province.

That, plus Total War style battles.

• MrLebanon says:

*head explodes*

• wodin says:

I’d like abit more input in the battles..but not realtime total war style..

• fabulousfurrygingerfreakbrothers says:

I find the wars a bit too micromanagey already. It’s all about the kids for me.

• revan says:

That’s how I got my paws on the Kingdom of Croatia. Lowly Count in what would later be Duchy of Bosnia schemed and first created the aforementioned title, then through assassination split Croatia from Hungary, and after that my ducal peers from Slavonia and Dalmatia, for some bribes, of course, started a faction to install me as the ruler. They fought a war for me, too. I didn’t even raise any levies or hired a retinue. The claim itself was falsified, of course. And then the Byzantines came…

8. King in Winter says:

Eeeeexcellent.

9. Arcanon says:

Venice, yay.

I get to roleplay as my own city for the first time since Medieval II Total War, all your trade are belong to us xD

• Superpat says:

Roleplaying you own city is always fun but unfornately doomed to failure on my part, I managed to get Quebec independent in Victoria 2 but it kinda turned to a frozen piece of shit afterwards… (Not enough base development to be able to actually DO anything)

10. scottossington says:

I wish I was smart enough to understand how to play this game. It looks so sweet.

• pakoito says:

As any other videogame, it’s just a combination of pushing and pressing the correct buttons and sliders to get an effect, fewer than you would expect because you have no real control over most of them anyway. There’s no hard math involved in here. You can lose. You will lose. But you will enjoy doing it, which is the point.

cairbre says:

Me too. I need to sit down some Saturday and spend the day trying to figure it out. I love to read about the game and it sounds great but I can’t get to grips with it.

• noodlecake says:

There are some good lets plays where everything is explained clearly on youtube. Once you get the absolute basics down it all just falls into place. Most of the game involves lots of sitting and observing with the odd tweak here and there, especially when you’re just a count. It’s impossible to win and very difficult to lose. I find it to be the perfect game to play stoned because you don’t need to interact with it that much and you can play it one handed. :P

11. Winterborn says:

Was hoping for Pagans but this is the next best thing.

12. belgand says:

I feel like they’re overdoing it a bit with the expansions. I mean, I realize they’ve been doing this sort of thing for a while now, but this is, what, the fourth expansion in about six months?

• ShineyBlueShoes says:

Well this is kind of what DLC at it’s best was meant to be in theory; a replacement for boxed expansion packs that could be delivered in smaller more affordable chucks and selected a la carte. I think that by the time they’re done you’ll have what would be considered a nice expansion pack in the old days.

Tom De Roeck says:

Well, you can still play against everyone with dlc or without; that is basically how DLC is done properly: content heavy but entirely optional, as the best features are patched in anyway.

Its a bit like how Dawn Of War atleast used to do it.

13. Universal Quitter says:

This reminds me, why DID Firaxis not go with Nemoy for CiV? The replacement was okay, but c’mon. It’s Spock.

14. ShineyBlueShoes says:

I really hope they keep expanding eastward so many we’ll get to see an expansion focused around China.

• Winterborn says:

Never going to happen. They leave the far east for the EU series.

15. pretty fiendish says:

Well how about that. I just finished reading a book on the history of Venice (or at least the bit where they sail around, fight Genoa and rule the Mediterranean). Perfect timing. I’m looking forward to proving I am nowhere near as efficient at trade as the Venetians were, just as I have already proved many times that I am not a particularly successful medieval ruler!

16. plumbob says:

Can I play a pagan Lithuania yet?

No? That’s all I really wanted.