The 12 (Board)Games Of Christmas: Day One

By Robert Florence on December 12th, 2012 at 1:00 pm.

Ignoring the convention of Christmas’s 12 days, Rab Florence is bringing his twelve board game suggestions to you in time for them to appear in appropriate stockings. Here’s the first day:

Yes, on the first day of Christmas my true love gave to me an X-WING in a PEAR TREE. Okay, not a PEAR TREE but a BOX. A small box containing an X-WING and a couple of TIE Fighters. And some dice. And some templates. And some cards. And a lot of fucking awesome. (Sorry for the bad language, Santa!)

I’ve written about The X-Wing Miniatures Game before on RPS, and you can go take a look at it here, but this little update is to let you know that it’s STILL great, it STILL holds up and it’s probably only going to get better through 2013 as it gets expanded.

WHAT IS IT?

It’s a Star Wars space battle skirmish game where one player plays the Rebel Alliance and the other player The Empire. You move little plastic ships around on a table, planning your moves in secrecy, and rolling dice to blow the hell out of your opponent. It’s a THRILL.

WHO TO BUY IT FOR

A geek in your family who loves games and loves Star Wars.

Anyone who loves Star Wars but doesn’t realise they love games.

A parent with kids of 8 and up who love games. A love of Star Wars is not necessary. This game will create that love.

WHERE TO BUY IT

Any games shop – there’s been a Christmas restock of this game. I saw it this very day, in fact. Here’s a handy site that lets you find a local game shop.

You can also find it online, of course. But try to support your independents.

WHAT TO BUY

The Core Set is plenty. It offers a lot of fun. If you’re SURE the person you’re buying for will love it, or you have a bit more money to spend, maybe pick up an extra X-Wing or an extra TIE for the card variance. Or buy an extra Core Set for a bigger battle, Or, you could pick up a Y-Wing and a TIE Interceptor so that you have some heavy ships moving around. Or all of the above if you are mad/rich/Santa.

FIRST DAY DOWN!

And it’s the X-Wing Miniatures Game. What will be next? And who will it be good for? Stay tuned to RPS!

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. tengblad says:

Excellent first choice! I played this game at a friend’s house a few weekends back and her son was so intrigued with the game that I’ve bought a copy for him as a Christmas present.

It’s worth to note that the game doesn’t at all require you to be a huge Star Wars fan. I’m a casual one at best, and I still find the game a blast to play just based on the mechanics alone.

2. HilariousCow says:

Now I remember what I wanted for christmas! Thanks Robert!

3. frightlever says:

Would be nice if we could get an idea how long a typical game lasts – not just for this one specifically but for the series of articles in general.

Also, pictures.

4. NathaI3 says:

Dammit if i hadn’t already bought a present for my brother i’d buy this, he’d love it. Never mind, there’s always next year

5. Brian_black says:

Rab, I think you meant TIE Advanced. The Interceptor isn’t coming out until wave 2 hits in February, which can’t come soon enough.

• westyfield says:

Plus the Interceptor is a light fighter, not a heavy ship as the article states.

(Yes I am a huge Star Wars nerd, how did you guess?)

6. Groove says:

“WHO TO BUY IT FOR”

- Me, because I want this game but I don’t want to spend all that money (specifically you should buy it for me then keep buying me all the expansions, because they’re the part that’ll beggar me).

7. wiper says:

X-Wing is worth it for the bit where your girlfriend, at the start of the first game, accidentally kneels on the X-Wing model. It, reasonably enough, breaks under this unexpected weight. Your girlfriend looks upon your distraught face and promptly runs off in tears, and you spend the next half hour having to convince her that it’s alright, she hasn’t ruined your birthday.* And then put the game away, never to be played.

So, yeah, the X-Wing miniatures game is the best present to ask for!

*replace with Christmas/other present-giving occasion as appropriate

• SanguineAngel says:

This story has made me sad for both of you!

• Tiax says:

Wait, this story is real ?

Where did I put my Nelson gif…

• wiper says:

Yes, this story is real! To be honest, it’s more entertainment than I get out of most of my boardgames – you know, that pile of shame that sits, never having been touched beyond looking at the bits and pieces. Who knew fragile little models could be so much fun?

8. plugmonkey says:

Awesome. Brother in law sorted.

Faster, Rab, faster!

Are there some surprises coming, or should I read back through the last dozen cardboard children posts to get the general gist?

9. McDan says:

Saw this, the Metro 2033 boardgame and City of horror in my local Waterstones a couple of weeks ago. Bought city of horror but the other two are still there. So tempting…

10. NarcoSleepy says:

The Millennium Falcon and Boba Fett’s ship expansion will be out soon. Really looking forward to that.

11. MrPyro says:

Just bought this for a friend; thanks for the recommendation

12. Kea says:

Hmmmm. This is a definitely good board game, as it is based on the goo’ ol’ Wings of War. ( The system has been modified for SW, and is quite efficient)

However (in france at least), the price is sort of painful. That is 15 € for a tiny extra miniature and a few cards. And the main box includes only 3 miniatures, which makes it very limited. That can take your “dream game” way over 100 €. Actually, the sky really is the limit, here.
    I know SW fans are now used to these “special pricing”, but I’ll rather keep my Wings of War, and draw a few cards by myself.

I hope the price in glorious Albion or the land of freedom is more reasonable, and this “special SW pricing” is a special courtesy for us poor froggies out there.
    But it is still a good game. Yet, better appreciated as a gift.

13. Severian says:

This is currently my cardboard GOTY. Play it nearly every week with a buddy, trying out new squads, strategies, etc. The spatial element of the game cannot be underestimated. I’m getting better, but I still regularly run into my own ships (or my opponent’s) because I can’t “see” what’s going to play out well. Love love love it. Worth the money. Well, if you have a job and aren’t destitute, I mean. Then you should probably buy food.

14. Karmakaze says:

Any scuttlebutt on if/when this or Wings of War will become an iOS game? Sounds perfect for async play!

15. Radiant says:

The games are over too quickly.

After a handful of turns you’re essentially done and it doesn’t really offer as much variation, as with a game with a wider scope of play, for repeat plays

I’m not a big fan which is a shame.

• belgand says:

I’m with you there. I played a single game of Wings of War and it was just sort of dull and tedious. I didn’t really see any advantage in playing again or how the game could really be changed all that much between games.

Comment on this story