Hawken Nearly Ready For Hawking, Open Beta Opens

By Nathan Grayson on December 13th, 2012 at 10:00 am.

It's as Sun Tzu once said, 'Do not just stand there. Bust a move.'

It’s cold outside. Holiday vacation hasn’t started yet. The world might end soon. These are all equally pressing issues, but fortunately, I think I’ve got a solution that wraps them up in a nice, holiday-friendly bow: giant robots. Think about it: they’re naturally warm, have no concept of “work,” and will probably be the reason our race of overly argumentative organ pods goes extinct anyway. Win-win-win. Also, Hawken just went into open beta. It’s really great, so it’ll probably help you feel better about the sorry state of your life and stuff. But mainly those other things.

Did you enjoy the obligatory over-produced launch trailer? I know I did. Now I want a game where we play as a bullet taking an educational field trip through a mech’s oil-sputtering insides. Although really, I just want more playable bullets in games.

Anyway, hopping into the beta’s as simple as heading to this page and pushing buttons until something happens, so I recommend doing that. That said, a word of warning: the beta got off to a rocky start, and Adhesive took it down for some last-second account re-configuring. Apparently, though, the bug-shaped beast has been thoroughly slain, so everything should be running smoothly now. Still, though, it’s a beta. Expect a few hiccups here and there.

Right then, who’s going to jump in? I’ll probably have to save this one for the weekend (TOO MANY GAMETHINGS), but it’s definitely got me stomping about and making obnoxious “pew” sounds in anticipation. If, however, you still need convincing, do take a look at Adam’s impressions of the shockingly fast-paced robo-blast-’em’up.

, , .

1. Sulaco says:

Watched this trailer after watching the trailer for ‘Pacific Rim’, and now I am seriously in the mood for a robots-shooting-each-other kind of game. Most certainly trying this out ASAP.

• Jiblet says:

That may be the daftest thing I have ever seen.

• Davie says:

But, Guillermo del Toro! It will be goddamn amazing.

• Network Crayon says:

Hardly a new premiss, Daftest i agree with.

• Sleepymatt says:

Wow… I can just see the pitch for that movie

del Toro: Its essentially “What happens if you cross MechWarrior, Godzilla, Glados from Portal and Independence Day?”

Exec: pffft *yawn*

del Toro OK, I’ll thrown in some Inception “Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam”s

Exec: SOLD!

• Dominic White says:

It’s an 80′s super-robot manga story done by hollywood. Giant interdimensional space-lizards Vs giant fighting robot team? Been there, done that, can’t wait to see it on the big screen.

2. yurusei says:

Hawken : Robots Undressing.

I’d play the shit out of that.

3. dorobo says:

Played in all events before open beta.. and this was the main reason for a pc upgrade :)

4. Shadowcat says:

Another memorable quote from Sun Tzu’s eternal classic THE ART OF WARFACE.

Chaz says:

It’s cold outside; there’s no kind of atmosphere
    I’m all alone, more or less ……..

6. Kollega says:

Fittingly for it’s title, Bulletstorm had playable bullets. Sort of. And it was kind of odd that your enemies developed super-dodging skills whenever you played as a bullet.

darkChozo says:

Not to ignore your point or anything, but now I’m sad that Hawken isn’t about falconry.

7. Unrein says:

Now I really want to play Sun Tzu’s Dance Attack from Harmonix.

8. LionsPhil says:

The funny thing is that it was only two days ago that they finally went “oh, the closed beta’s been broken for a bunch of people due to an account-mangling bug, go here to redo your callsign”.

The aformentioned here wasn’t working yesterday either.

It’s, uh, apparently very beta. I hope the actual game is a touch more reliable than their web and account systems.

9. TechnicalBen says:

IMO they killed the game in the eleventh hour by adding P2W elements. Granted, it’s small elements, but it’s the first step in muddy waters. I’d not want to eat a dinner I knew had a tiny amount of poison in, and I’d not want to play a game that had a tiny amount of pay to win in either.

10. absolofdoom says:

Are you enjoying the time of eve?