Look Around You: Perspective Out Now (And Free!)

By Nathan Grayson on December 13th, 2012 at 2:00 pm.

Don't worry. It'll make far less sense in just a moment.

I think we can all remember a time when we were younger – assuming, of course, that none of us has been hit on the head with any large objects (or small, densely packed objects) very recently. Regardless, it was many, many cloud-enshrouded moons ago, yet I remember it as clear as I day. I was fool-hardy, obstinate, and brash. I made life-affirming mistakes, and also, Jim wrote a thing about a game. Now, though, times have changed. I have, you might say, gained Perspective. And now – for zero of your precious monetary units – you can too.

If you need a refresher, Perspective’s a puzzle-platformer about crazy dimension-shifting from the equally crazy kids at Digipen. Does a jump seem completely impossible? Well then, shift your view such that two bits of un-linked platform align in a two-dimensional fashion. Then scamper ever onward to rescue your lost love or become even more blue or whatever it is you’re actually trying to accomplish.

The small amount I’ve played so far seems to do a good job of living up to the puzzle-solving conceit’s ample promise, too. There’s definitely a Portal-esque “Wait, the world doesn’t work this way and my brain calls shenanigans on you, good sir” learning curve, but it starts off relatively simply to ease you in. The thing that really threw me is that you’re actually switching between a first-person viewpoint and control of your tiny Mega-Man-meets-Tron smurf person. So it’s far more direct than, say, Fez on consoles, if you’ve ever played that.

Perspective’s made a good first impression so far, though, and I’m looking quite forward to digging deeper. Or maybe moving in the opposite direction, but in such a way that it creates the illusion of depth. Or maybe… hm. I should probably go ponder elsewhere. My brain seems to be getting all over the floor again.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Mr. Mister says:

Oh yesh. The_Quiggles from Team Nitronic did the music (or some of it, don’t know).

• arleneroberts says:

Start working with Google. $83 an hour! Seriously I don’t know why more people haven’t tried this, I work two shifts, 2 hours in the day and 2 in the evening…And what’s awesome is I’m working from home so I get more time with my kids. check it out..Read More

• sfury says:

Sorry I’m not actually replying to you – but wow those spammers above have gotten smart.

2. Lambchops says:

Look around you. Just look around you. Can you guess what it is?

• Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

It’s all around us.

We use it every day.

You might even be using it right now!
      *Video clip of boys playing football*

That’s right. It’s regret.

3. Bracknellexile says:

Love this game! I really should be working but just one more level….

Still can’t believe they gave it away free, it’s miles better than most of the £5 games out there simply for the sheer genius of the concept alone.

• Godwhacker says:

It’s rather rough and ready. Great idea though. Have you considered sending them a cheque?

• Squishpoke says:

It isn’t an original concept. See: Echochrome, CRUSH and Fez.

• Ryuthrowsstuff says:

It was created as a student project at Digipen, which means Digipen owns it. The school allows their students to release things for free, but effectively the team who made it isn’t allowed to sell it without Digipen’s consent/involvement.

4. BobbyFizz says:

I have an overwhelming desire for a casserole now.

5. sinister agent says:

Typo in the title. Should read “Look Around Yog”.

6. Sardonic says:

Just what are birds anyway?

We just don’t know.

7. Apack990 says:

DAMN IT only 9 days to play it before the world ends :(

8. jinnyjinjin says:

It requires DX11? Really? Jesus…Well, I’ll not be playing it any time soon. :-/

• Noise says:

Are you expecting games made in 2012 to run on an operating system from 2001? Why would you expect that? It’s ok Windows 7 is actually better than XP.

9. luukdeman111 says:

Teeheehee, I torrented it….. BAD ME!

10. Henke says:

I like it but WHY ON EARTH does it not save? I was really far in when I decided to stop and make dinner. When I come back to it later, hoping to pick up where I left I can’t! There IS a Continue entry in the menu but clicking it does nothing. :|

• Kemipso says:

The save works just fine for me, I can continue right where I left the game.
      Note: I left in one of the “larger” area, not in the middle of a smaller room, that might be important?

On a side note, the game is really enjoyable, I recommand it to whoever has a spare hour or two!

11. Jahkaivah says:

This is one of those games which gets a whole load of people swearing because they had or were even working on a similar idea themselves.

12. kenji213 says:

oh man, that ending took me by surprise. seriously, play it to the end, it’s great.

• Jahkaivah says:

“i can’t wait for this to go the way of Narbacular drop and get acquired by valve or something.”

I admit I actually ctrl-f’d “Valve” when I first looked at this article a few hours ago and was shocked that no one had posted that one yet.

13. rockman29 says:

Does it really require DX11? I’m on DX10.1 sighs…

14. Xzi says:

A free game utilizing interesting and under-used mechanics? Hold on a moment while I make out with my PC’s front USB panel.

15. The Random One says:

Hoorah! An indie game that explores its main mechanic fully but doesn’t add half a dozen extraneous elements from the halfway point on! This is brilliant!

Though I think the moving elements didn’t really fit with the game and they only made me click at precise moments to “cheat” past dangerous parts. Fortunately the game ended soon after.

16. noclip says:

It’s a puzzle game for people who enjoyed the puzzle puzzle in Braid. Play to the end, it’s worth it.

17. Stephen Roberts says:

This needs to be seen by more eyes. It’s a real Art of Looking Sideways thing. I realise other titles might have already played with a similar mechanic (Fez?), but this feels pretty damn special.

Oh yeah the ending shows some special flair as well. There is a wit being wielded here in a very pleasing way.

18. ekuurh says:

This game is remarkably original and fun.
    I’ve had about 5 “Aha!” moments in a 30 minute run. I haven’t seen such a good puzzle since Portal (pardon my French).

Comment on this story