(Mid)Winter Is Coming: The Lords Of Midnight

By Adam Smith on December 13th, 2012 at 7:00 pm.

The news of Mike Singleton’s death earlier this year was extremely sad. Midwinter and its sequel are very high up on the list of games that made me, capturing so much that I admire about what is possible in games. When I first encountered them I was too young to realise how special they were – two decades later, their scope and ambition is more apparent than ever. I didn’t spend as much time with Singleton’s Midnight series but its combination of wargame and fantasy adventure marked it in my memory as one of the few games that engaged on both an epic and a personal level. I’ll be playing plenty of it soon though – Singleton was working on an iOS port and it’ll be out soon, with Windows and Mac versions.

The graphics have been updated, although it’s a case of making them slightly crisper rather than revamping them as far as I can tell. More importantly, the interface has been modernised. I happily berate people who are put off by appearances, but when something interactive is difficult to interact with…well, that can be a problem. Dwarf Fortress, I’m looking at you. Literally. I have it running in a window right now. I’ve just started out and I feel good about how things are going to go this time.

I’m glad Dwarf Fortress just crept into my mind because I imagine if Lords of Midnight were made today, it’d have the same sort of following.

The Lords of Midnight are due, if the Winter Solstice reference on the site is to be believed, on the 21st of December.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Hoaxfish says:

Since Mike’s dead… who exactly is releasing this?

• RobF says:

Chris who’s been responsible for a number of excellent ports previous. He was working with Mike on both LoM and more projects just before Mike’s death, it’s all above board.

• arleneroberts says:

Justin. I agree that Frances`s blurb is amazing… last friday I got a gorgeous Mercedes since getting a cheque for $8981 this past five weeks and-over, 10-k this past month. with-out any doubt it’s the best job Ive ever done. I started this 3 months ago and almost immediately startad bringin home at least $70 per/hr. I follow this great link..Read More

• egg-zoo-bear-ant will e 91 says:

RobF, do you think Chris will be able to develop some of the new games Mike was working on? I hope so.

Is there some way spam could be stopped without affecting the rest of us? Obviously this is something that thought’s already been given to… Any progress? Such rubbish seems really sad and disrespectful, especially now.

• MistyMike says:

Haven’t you heard? EA acquired the rights. A WiiU port is coming early 2013.

• Nix Nada says:

Disney just bought the rights off EA and are working on Lords of Midnight 3, 4, and 5.

Seriously though, this was a fantastic game and it’s great to see the remake coming to PC (was worried it would be iOS-only since I’m fondleslabless).

2. UncleSmoothie says:

Developer Chris Wild confirmed to Pocket Tactics the other week that the iOS version is coming on the 21st: http://pockettactics.com/2012/12/05/the-lords-of-midnight-return-on-the-winter-solstice/

3. Antsy says:

Utterly invigorating.

4. bad guy says:

I like that picture

5. iainl says:

Does “other projects” mean there’s a chance of being able to play Midwinter again? Because that was the one for me, too. Midnight was just too much for me to get my head round at the time. But then, I was only a kid.

6. bVork says:

Wow. I love the cleaned-up graphics. Reminds me of Tolkien’s line art.

• Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

I agree. It is a thing of beauty that should be pointed to, underlined, and branded on peoples’ foreheads when they talk about updated graphics on a remake.

• Caiman says:

Absolutely, it keeps the look and feel of the original graphics while upping the resolution in a non-obstrusive manner. Really nice work.

• Spacewalk says:

They aren’t doing much for me. The landscapes look okay but the characters not so much. It’s like they’ve spent ten minutes drawing over the original graphics in Inkscape. What I’d like to see is everything redone to look like the illustrations in the novella.

7. Imbecile says:

I’d love to see Midwinter 2 remade. Maybe in the Farcry 3 or Skyrim-esque engine, with a completely open world and a free license to find someone. Kind of how I hoped Far Cry 2 would play out…

• noom says:

I think I commented on Eurogamer’s Midwinter retrospective something to the effect that Far Cry 2 was the game that had most evoked the spirit of Midwinter for me recently. A very, very different game obviously, but you can imagine it playing in a very similar fashion to Midwinter with a minimal amount of modification.

8. brulleks says:

oh. oh. oh.

Words fail me.

Will we be able to download and print the keyboard overlay? That would just finish me off nicely.

9. bill says:

There has better be an ANDROID version coming! Especially after they got the freeware version on android taken down.

LoM was awesome. Imagine if someone could do a modern game like that.

10. Malibu Stacey says:

OMG OMG OMG.

Lords of Midnight & Doomdarks Revenge were 2 of the “games wot made me” ever since they were given away on Zzap! 64 covertapes.

Many a cold wet evening in Glasgow (of which there was never any shortage) was whiled away in front of a 15 inch CRT playing these when I were but knee high to a grasshopper.

DO WANT.