A Break In The City: Crysis 3

By Adam Smith on December 17th, 2012 at 4:00 pm.

Crysis 3 isn’t the first piece of entertainment to show us New York reclaimed by nature, but the city become prison-park could make for a compelling setting. The latest video advertisement for the game is the first part of the ‘Seven Wonders’ series, directed by Albert Hughes who you may know as one half of the Hughes brothers, mighty cinema-men of From Hell and Menace II Society. I think I’m supposed to care about the story here, but is it really anything more than an excuse to cram opposing forces into an interesting place so they can shoot each other? Nothing wrong with that but I’d prefer to see more of the weighty in-engine conflict and less of the build-up.

Will they just order him to put the bow down as well? That’s what I’d do but then again I’m not really sure what’s happening. I’ve already forgotten what all of the voices were saying but if movement feels as good in the actual game as it looks here, leaping around the ruins could be very entertaining indeed. I rate the glass-shattering very highly as well. The piecemeal destruction of glass is one of the incidental details that I always tend to enjoy, like foliage that reacts to people pushing through it.

I saw a tree performing what I can only describe as a ‘radical interpretive dance performance’ in Far Cry 3 yesterday. It was an unusual and glitchy reaction to a passing vehicle but I stood and watched, quietly impressed. Which game has the best foliage and/or breaking glass?

, , .

1. SkittleDiddler says:

Oscar-worthy direction there.

• Askeladd says:

Looks like one of the most boring shooters.

• Burgmond says:

How dare you say that. Crysis 3 is basically Halo if it were directed by Michael Bay. only its better

• Askeladd says:

You seem to imply Halo isn’t boring as well.

• Felixader says:

Here is my biggest reason why Halo is offputting to me: When you, the heavily armored the master chief, jump you float along. I don’t really know why, but i am not joking about this.

• BargainOnly_HalfMySoul says:

Halo is boring if you can’t find the fun in it, or if you don’t find anything about it interesting. Crysis is beautiful. I like things that move like they’re alive, like swaying leaves. They still need to work on getting crickets and beetles and humming birds, and a lot of other things like bullet shells too, but if I try really hard I can imagine that it’s some real place in indonesia or micro polynesian island or the future and stroll through the game peacefully with a silencer and a stealth, just taking a snack of a headshot once in a while to my left or to my right. I hope next generation peripherals come in the shape of inflatable shooting ranges with redeemable coupons for guns and .223 amunition from walmart.

• Joc says:

@Felixader That is my exact sentiment, and the slightly shameful basis upon which I build my disdain for the Halo series. The guy pulling the strings in the back of my brain just keeps going, “Well if they can’t get jumping right then what’s the bloody point?”

2. SuperNashwanPower says:

Looks OK, though given my disappointment with Far Cry 3 (Great until you have nothing left to do but the story or side missions) I am feeling a little unexcited about all the QTE Mc Knifey Stab. Will wait for reviews, then wait for a 50% sale – I have been burned a few too many times with pre-orders lately. I’m sure it will have a good degree of open-worldyness, but recent experience suggests that developers still feel duty bound to include a big dollop of nods to COD (COD-nods?) in order to make a game sell. That always seems to lead to a sacrifice of a sense of weight or depth thats hard to quantify.

Kind of expecting turret sections, cut-scenes, press space bar to not die, snipe the bad guys before the time runs out, slow-mo pistol scene, MISSION AREA etc etc. I say this with sadness not supercilliousness, its just what I’ve come to expect from series I once admired.

EDIT: “Duty bound”. Heh. I made an insightful pun and didn’t realise.

PoulWrist says:

What, pray tell, does FC3 have to do with Crysis 3? Other than both having the number 3 in the name.

• Sacarathe says:

Lol, they’re both based off the same engine(Farcry2, farcry3, Crysis 1,2+3 are all descended from the same engine: Cryengine 1), the first FC game was made by the chappys that went on to make Crysis. I’d say that makes there a lot of relation between them.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

The lineage is there definitely, good point. I mentally link all those games too. That said, my comment comes from a general sense of ennui that has begun to build up around games in general for me lately. FC3 could have been truly awesome, instead its sort of “really good interspersed with multiple shit bits”.

Like a really good chocolate fudge sundae but with every 3rd bit of fudge being a rabbit poo that you are required to eat or you can’t have the rest.

• ShadyGuy says:

This is incorrect. Far Cry 2 and 3, which were both developed by Ubisoft Montreal were made in the Dunia engine. Far Cry, and the Crysis series were developed by Crytek and were made with the CryEngine.

darkChozo says:

This is going to sound odd given the Internet’s general opinion of Far Cry 2, but am I the only one who misses respawning checkpoints? I always hate when open world games have a “remove all enemies from this area” condition, because that makes that area downright boring. I like open world games because they have so much potential for little scenarios like running across enemies in semi-random, only-somewhat-scripted areas, and I don’t care if you sacrifice some false feeling of progress to do it.

Saints Row has the same problem; whoever decided there would be a late game scenario where they would take out the interesting enemies because of the story was an idiot.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

No I agree with you actually. I made the “mistake” of doing all the crafting / radio tower / outpost bits of FC3 first, and suddenly the game became really really dull. I was locked into the lackluster story missions until I could get to the second island. Now I have to play poker. I cant play poker.

I wish I had left some of the open-worldy bits and mixed them in with the frankly drab mostly COD-style missions, or that the game chucked me a few pirates a la FC2 when I am travelling to the next mission location.

Side note: The “my husband is gay” and the “find my medicine ingredients” missions (actually, ALL the side missions). What the actual fuck …? Its like someone had to find something for the summer interns to do and no one trusted them with anything substantial.

3. SuperNashwanPower says:

Far Cry 2′s foliage was pretty good with the movement and dynamic shadows, but I am going to go for Crysis 1 for the title of best. Its great when a tree falls over after an explosion.

Some of the best glass I have seen lately was actually in Black Mesa (the remake of HL1). Can’t remember how it broke, but it looked awesome intact.

4. Rian Snuff says:

Looks awesome as hell. I Can’t wait for more footage.

• Ultra Superior says:

..and foliage!

• SuperNashwanPower says:

I am going to pronounce that FAOW-LOOAGE from now on. Sort of french style.

• RockPiLP says:

How is foulage French style? Foliage is an anglification (?) of the word “feuillage”, from feuille (leaf).

Foulage is oddly appropriate in an FPS, even though neither FC3 nor Crysis 3 seem to feature weapon wear.

5. Casimir Effect says:

Mirror’s Edge had excellent breaking glass… when it didn’t cause the PhysX to break down and kill your frame rate

6. Milky1985 says:

So will this one end with a story segment about how the fights not yet over , or will you actually finish it this sodding time!

I did find it funny that the VO mentions that they even though they had won considering the endings of the first two games :P

7. Howard says:

The suit seems a hell of a lot more powerful this time around which is a good thing. Also, how the hell is Prophet in this? has that been explained yet?

• SighmanSays says:

Was explained explicitly at the end of Crysis 2. Apparently Prophet’s consciousness got uploaded into the suit or something like that, and so Prophet probably pulled a Grand-Theft-Me on Alcatraz.

Surprisingly enough it’s still -not- the dumbest thing that’s occurred in the series to date.

• RobinOttens says:

Yes, Prophet came back by taking over the suit or merging with Alcatraz’ broken body or somesuch. I can’t for the life of me remember the specifics of it. But I do recall liking that particular twist.

I’ll probably be playing Crysis 3 at some point. And like the previous two I expect a whole bunch of boring levels balanced out by a few really good ones and some cool mechanics that make it worth it.

• Dervish says:

I’m not saying Crysis 2′s writing was amazing or anything, but “you’re basically a dead body held together and animated by the suit” is the most amusing excuse for a mute protagonist I’ve seen.

Joshua says:

I thought it was fairly brilliant too. It gives you a certain sense of … vurnrability. It also explains why you can’t sprint all that fast :P.

• Howard says:

Yeah, that explains it: I just realised that I got to the end of Crysis 2 but was so pissed off and put-off by the ridiculous boss battle that I just turned it off and never bothered. Seriously, boss battles are simply no longer acceptable to me – quite possibly the worst mechanic to be leftover from the the origins on gaming.

• Dominic White says:

… What boss battle? The game ends with a fight against three slightly tougher-than-average enemy grunts. I remember being particularly disappointed that there wasn’t any kind of climactic final battle, just a bunch of mooks I shotgunned in the face.

• Burgmond says:

Have you beaten Crysis 2, it explains it.

8. Iskariot says:

I will have great fun with this game. Crysis is a great shooter.

PoulWrist says:

The first one, yes, the second one, not so much. Dash forward and spam E for insta kill on ALL enemies is not what I call a shooter…

• SkittleDiddler says:

What are you talking about? There was no “insta kill” button in Crysis 2.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

Takedowns from behind were QTE events weren’t they? Been a while since I played.

• SkittleDiddler says:

True, but that’s the case with virtually every game that has backstabbing as a featured mechanic. I’m not sure why it would be such a cause for concern in a generic series like Crysis.

• Dervish says:

They’re one-button kills, but not QTEs.

9. Calabi says:

I wonder what it must be like to be the Commander of these guys.

Does he have to explain to his superiors how he lost 56 men fighting against one man.

Does he have to write letters to their next of kin explaining how they died pointlessly as cannon fodder.

• SighmanSays says:

Prophet: “MAXIMUM SHAME.”

• Syra says:

Perhaps all the dull brained man shoots should force you to do that to proceed to the next level.

• Dervish says:

“Cannon fodder” is hardly appropriate when it’s one guy sneaking and dancing around and killing them dead.

• Ultra Superior says:

until you hear “maximum armor” and the following rain of LMG bullet casings

• Ultra Superior says:

They send their bodies back home in metal caskets wrapped in flag to hide the utter madness of never-ending and meaningless slaughter (hereby known as “The war on prophet” ) behind a thin veil of commercialized patriotism.

10. ninjapirate says:

The game looks so beautiful, and that’s my issue with it…. I wish it was anything *but* a shooter. I’d much rather explore my surroundings and marvel at the graphics.

• Ultra Superior says:

Do so when they’re dead.

No one shall interrupt your meditative bonding with nature.

11. int says:

Did they ever explain what happened to Nomad in Crysis? I recently played Crysis 2 and I don’t remember any mention of him.

12. foda500 says:

I suppose this fills my grass quota for today.

@int Nomad died in a comic.

13. Stevostin says:

The guy plays like a noob. Cancel cloak before you shoot, you idiot! You’re wasting energy!

Apart from that: looks like a typical Crysis 2 cleanup.

Writing & tone in this are improved over Crysis 2 thus. Let’s hope it sticks in the final game.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

They have changed / simplified that now. You can fire cloaked without burning energy IIRC, from previous dev videos. TBH I preferred the controls of Crysis 1 – they were pleasingly difficult to master.

14. aamosnyc says:

Give me the option to turn off the damn suit voice and I’m sold.

• Iskariot says:

I love the suit voice. I wish it would talk to me all day long.

• SkittleDiddler says:

Down a whole bottle of opiated cough medicine and you’ll get your wish.

darkChozo says:

Top of the range for Ford Focuses (Ford Foci?), presumably. The one true Focus, the alpha and the omega, the template upon which all Foc[uses/i] are created.

(edit: curses, spam comment deleted and all the replies toppled)

16. Iskariot says:

“It’d actually be much more realistic to suddenly have the lights go out”

You could do that yourself at the appropriate moment.

• subedii says:

Actually in the first game, a near grenade or explosion would often cause your vision to black out for a second.

17. junglist 69 says:

So more of the same right , armour , speed , cloaking , same voices for NPCs , same location but different : | , same guy , same gameplay. I would suggest if you are going to showcase this game , show us something we haven’t really seen , or is that still to come? Or maybe the attitude of the devs is ” if it aint broke “

18. mseifullah says:

I’m actually disappointed with what I just watched. When I heard that these “episodes” were coming, I thought it was going to showcase elements from Crysis 3 as well as (and mainly) Crytek’s CinemaBox (basically their equivalent to Source Film Maker, but targeted at big production companies). Instead of a “film,” I got some semi-HUDless gameplay with an occasional shot of transition-into-cover animations.

To clarify, I’m not disappointed with the gameplay that I saw — it looked nice, but I am disappointed that we didn’t see a full-fledged CinemaBox film.

To go off on a tangent, I believe that Source Film Maker, CinemaBox, and to a lesser extent Unreal Engine 4 & Unity are the start of something special that will eventually transform Visual FX and CG Feature Films.

Back when Pixar’s Cars was in production, the tools team created (almost) real-time lighting tools so that the team could get near final render quality feed-back instantly. A small but important step towards real-time renderers replacing and complementing offline rendering.

19. Sacarathe says:

If you cannot believe it is possible to loose in a single player game, what is the point.

20. Shooop says:

This of course represents 5% of the actual gameplay, the majority will be turret sections, corridors, and QTEs.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

Press E to agree with comment

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

21. Skusey says:

I remember the first Resistance had really nice glass. The grenades were great as well.

22. goettel says:

More of the same, I’m sure a lot peeps will enjoy it.
    Vid leaves me cold, in any case.

23. SuicideKing says:

More i look at Crysis 3 the more i’m reminded of Crysis 2 (and it’s not exciting me).

24. Network Crayon says:

How does crysisman’s stealth camo make his gun go invisible?

25. Thotep says:

Red Faction 1 had the best glass shattering: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4arXQJKg_E8

26. NeuralNet says:

Please bring back a proper speed mode, that’s all I ask!

Crysis 1 was amazing for running through and over enemies, scaring the hell out of them and then disappearing/punching/shooting them in the face.

27. wodin says:

Quick question..why was he floating in space at the beginning?

I never finished Cryisis 2..was nearly there and then for some reason my attention turned elsewhere.