Men Have War: Call To Arms Funding Drive

By Jim Rossignol on December 18th, 2012 at 6:00 pm.

So here’s a bit of interesting news. If you are me, at least. Which I am, for some reason. DigitalMindSoft, who took over Men Of War from originators Best Way (who are now making Nuclear Dawn), are making Call To Arms. They claim that the game “the true successor of the Men of War series.” And yes, it’s going to be modern-era combat: “Similar to Men of War: Assault Squad, Call to Arms also includes our innovative “direct control” feature, a 3rd person action mode used to operate your unit’s aim and movement. Whether advancing with a Humvee, infiltrating with a Scout Sniper or crashing through buildings with a M1A2 Abrams, everything can be controlled by you!” But there’s a twist, of a contemporary flavour, of course: they’re crowd-funding. I think I might just back this one, despite the rather obvious lack of a pitch video – come on, chaps!

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Gap Gen says:

“Hello? No, sorry, this is legs. 01395… ah, no, that’s a seven… right. You too. Bye.”

• FurryLippedSquid says:

Took me a moment, but it tickled when it hit. Bravo, sir.

2. Theory says:

I’d open my wallet this early for another Men of War, but I have a feeling that DMS are more interested in making another Assault Squad. They’ve made the standard mistake of asking for early funding without showing the game so we’ll just have to wait to find out which way things are going. :-/

Edit: Steam Cloud support is part of a €50k stretch goal? WTF?

• Berzee says:

I would generally pay a little bit to AVOID Steam Cloud support. o_O At least in games that auto-save and don’t let you name the saves.

3. leeder krenon says:

Fictional Cold War? Yes. Modern day bullshit war? Fuck off.

4. Stellar Duck says:

Aren’t Best Way making Nuclear Union?

5. El_MUERkO says:

having loved Assault Squad I shall give moneys

6. TychoCelchuuu says:

Assault Squad is one of my favorite games of all time and I think there’s a pretty good chance this game will be amazing, but the crowdsourcing thing seems kind of weird. It strikes me as an attempt to fleece us hardcore Assault Squad fans of as much cash as possible instead of just settling for a preorder for a normal price.

• Chris Kramer says:

You get the game for 20€ as a backer. Isn’t that quite a bargain for a pre-order?

• TychoCelchuuu says:

A normal preorder scheme doesn’t hold game features for ransom until the fans raise enough money.

• Chris Kramer says:

Nothing is being hold for ransom, as none of those features are complete, they can be completed with the help of the community. It’s a very simple scheme, people pre-order and contribute to the game and we can deliver more content and features without loosing independence. If at all, you save money, as you don’t have to pay for any DLC/features that have been financed by the community.

• PleasingFungus says:

I loved Assault Squad (and quite enjoyed your videos, too!), but something about the whole affair just seems – shoddy? Shifty? I think I’ll hold off for now, sadly.

• Chris Kramer says:

If you tell us why, we can maybe address your worries! :)

7. Zeewolf says:

Doesn’t look like the campaign is going very well, perhaps they need to do like Star Citizen and add a Kickstarter-part.

I’m not seeing any mention of a single player component (or coop vs. ai), so I’m not going to pledge until I know more about that.

8. Apocalypse 31 says:

“The aim is in the reach!”

Seriously. I’d pay to get some real voice actors

• PleasingFungus says:

The reach zone, please.

I’d pay to have the same terrible voice actors back. They’re hilarious! (Unintentionally.)

I still miss the objective-captured VA from the beta. “Things will get easier now.”

9. HKZ says:

I want that model! Where did it come from? (already built or kit form?)

10. lumpeh says:

They plan on bringing it to Kickstarter once they have some actual gameplay footage.

11. Jdopus says:

Shame this hasn’t got many replies, I guess it’s reflective of the series being a bit niche.

It’s a real shame, MoW Assault Squad was a brilliantly put together game and one I’d recommend to anyone who enjoys RTT games.

• BlackAlpha says:

Handing over the game to 1C certainly didn’t help Digitalmindsoft’s sales. As you might already know, 1C created some Men of War games, but they have been all pretty horrible. That is a shame, because the original Men of War games that have been created by Digitalmindsoft are really good. But now I often hear people say: “Men of War? That crappy Vietnam game? No thanks, I wouldn’t want to play another game from those developers.” And they don’t know the original Men of War developers are not to blame for the horrible Men of War offsprings.

• Jdopus says:

True that, at least Digitalmindsoft are developing this one, I’ll be keeping an eye to it, there’s a real shortage of any strategy games set in the modern day.