Vox Populous: Molyneux Got Us A GODUS Video

By Nathan Grayson on December 18th, 2012 at 5:00 pm.

Perception of time isn’t what I’d call one of my strongest traits. Case in point: has it really been nearly 30 days since Peter Molyneux and co’s Project GODUS stomped its monolithic, Monty-Python-like foot onto Kickstarter? And have I really been alive for more than 30 days? Am I older than that? Was high school years ago? How very strange. Anyway, we finally have a video now. Of GODUS, I mean – not my painfully awkward high school existence. Delve beyond that oh-so-divine of interventions known as the break to see an early prototype of the Populous successor in action.

Looks… early. On paper, it’s supposed to be a fusion of Populous, Black & White, and Dungeon Keeper, but right now, it best resembles a lo-fi 3D Populous. Then again, this prototype was apparently hammered together in a mere two weeks. Given the timespan, it’s acceptable, but I do wonder if 22 Cans should’ve let GODUS cook a bit longer before leaping onto Kickstarter. As ever, I have to point to smaller efforts like Limit Theory. If one guy can stroll into the Kickstarter saloon and fire off gameplay video after gameplay video, it’s hard to watch larger companies cobble things together and not think they rushed in hoping to rely on name power more than anything else.

Molyneux and co did, however, deliver some good news alongside the video. GODUS’ single-player, they promised, won’t be bound by any sort of DRM.

“You will be able to play the singleplayer experience of Godus without needing to go online; you can play it while on a plane or when you’re in a cave. No internet connection required to play the game in singleplayer. An online connection is required for online multiplayer and potentially some additional features, but the singleplayer campaign does not require you to be online in order to be able to play.”

In a cave? Oh boy! Now I’ll never be bored during my days-long spelunking adventures ever again.

But yes, GODUS only has a few days left on its Kickstarter clock. It’s within spitting distance of its goal, too, but not so much that success is guaranteed. So then, do you plan on supporting it now? Or have you already? Regardless, EXPLAIN YOUR REASONING. This is a demand, probably.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. 2late2die says:

I think the main problem GODUS has is that I don’t think there’s a big craving in the gaming community for a god game. I’m sure there’s some demand for it, but I don’t think people are starving for it as much as they do for old school RPG or a rich space sim. Now, if they had more to show, with more complex interactions and features, rather than simple building and a bunch of red guys punching blue guys, then maybe it could spark a fire of a interest but as things stand there’s just nothing exciting about this project.

I think you’re right in saying they should’ve given it more time before going public and asking for money, especially considering that Molynuex, as much as I love the guy’s enthusiasm, has a lot to prove in terms of delivering on grandiose promises.

• Dog Pants says:

I’m not sure there isn’t the same demand for a decent god game, or at least I’m not sure that’s the main reason. Your other points ring more true. I had a look at the Kickstarter page this weekend for the first time, because I really would like a decent, modern god game in a similar vein to Populous, but I’m not sure of Molyneux’s pedigree any more. When I went to the page I couldn’t easily identify the rewards for various tiers, with student editions and seemingly beta-only access, and the lowest tier I could see to give me the actual game was £15. That’s more than I’m willing to invest in a project with so much uncertainty, I’d rather wait to see if it comes to fruition, and if it gets good reviews I’ll pay full price.

• bonniebova6 says:

to start earning 53$ in an hour… You can work for a few hours a day online and earn over 250$ every day… Start now, and at the end of day you can already have your first earnings. Good luck! Check it out yourself. See this..See More

• RogB says:

yup i thought the idea was to do a rough concept BEFORE asking for investment, rather than hastily cobbling something together in 2 weeks that doesnt really show anything new.
      ‘hey but it was only 2 weeks guys!… guys?’

i’d be more sold with a bunch of placeholder cubes showing cool ideas than a basic layered environment test showing the first 30 seconds of a game of populous.

• Tyrone Slothrop. says:

Oh dear, my comment was meant for above, excuse me, piña coladas and codeine are a fierce combination.

• Tyrone Slothrop. says:

I don’t know about that, if one built upon the fantastic terrain and physics engine of From Dust and married it with expansive population control and city building it could be one of the best games ever created. Indeed, even a vastly expanded sequel to From Dust would be wonderful.

• LintMan says:

I’m potentially interested in god games, but “It’s by Molyneux” and “It’s like Populous, B&W and DK” aren’t enough to sell me; I want to see some new gameplay ideas. A straightforward Populous remake with modern graphics doesn’t excite me at all.

• Joshua Northey says:

Ditto here. I loved Populous and Populous 2, but if I wanted to play them again I would just play them again. I don’t want to kick-start a remake for cell phones.

• Jamie White says:

I think the main problem GODUS has is that Perter Molyneux is part of it.

He’s very much like GOD himself. A liar.

• dE says:

I would have loved to see an experiment:
      Introduce a god game and see where it goes.
      Then announce Molyneux is part of the team.

Would there now be more or less backers?

• HexagonalBolts says:

I would murder for a good god game! Whether this is a good god game or not remains to be seen though, thus why I have not backed it

• Joshua Northey says:

I wouldn’t undersell the possibility that they don’t actually have the money to make this happen (without an early infusion of quick-starter cash and the increased access to debt that likely brings). Whenever companies do very odd things that appear shortsighted it is almost always down to a lack of funds.

How someone who has made tens of millions of dollars in the industry could be short of funds (or more specifically people to loan him funds) is another question, but those swank offices and “dream team” of workers certainly don’t come cheap.

colossalstrikepackage says:

But do they cost more than Peter has? I’m not sure I buy it. Besides, looks like these geniuses have kick started as an afterthought, and when the money did not fall from the sky, hastily did the ground work in hindsight. Surely their CEO learnt the basics over the last 2 decades? He’s made games I really loved, but this effort is far from inspiring. I hope he and his team pull it off, but they may need to reevaluate how they go about it. Or maybe get someone with management skills?

• forex broker says:

With the majority of forex traders using online forex brokers today, it is crucial that your forex broker has the capability to provide you with service whenever the forex market is open.

• socrate says:

Yeah…we really need another remake of Populous /rolleye,B&W was just that and turned out to be really crappy and buggy as hell to the point you couldn’t even finish the actual game,the few thing that was added didn’t really compensate for all that was lost in the process,B&W2 was even worst all the interesting stuff that was in B&W were dumbed down or completely removed or extremely limited….sure you could actually finish it this time by being stubborn but the game was extremely buggy aswell.

Then came Fable with the HUGE promise and the big talk which ended up being all a big lie and overhype….and this apparently worked through all 3 fable game since it actually sold for some dumb reason on console….don’t also forget the Fable 2 not on PC time….he though he was all big shot on console then he went and made Fable 3 for PC….like 6 month after if not more….and now he come back to PC and cell phone cause now people actually came back to PC and he stopped boycotting us….to many dev did this and found stupid excuse to do it and i have no respect for any of them.

Then you have the man himself Peter Molyneux who now go for kickstarter…guess no one wants to actually publish is crappy remake anymore that are actually uninspired and full of hype with no actual improvement or innovation,he proved a long time ago that he wasn’t the brain behind Bullfrog and that he was always all talk,the sad part is some people actually still think he is a genius.

And like someone said if i wanted to replay Populous id replay Populous 1 or 2…there is even a browser game that does it very very well and that is really fun to play,the fact that he made a vid that keep saying we did this in 2 week doesn’t really push me to support this at all….its like oh il go and make something that look crappy in 2 week and say i made that in 2 week gimme all your money because i am well known but somehow i need to get a kickstarter going instead of getting backed by a publisher or actually being able to finance myself…not that i made a shitload robbing everyone with my overhyped crap…/rolleye

Kickstarter was a place so indie game could actually rise and be at the same level of big company and for some dev to actually do original work to bring back good thing….not so already overpaid retard with a good background that could finance themself,instead dodge the risk factor and sell overhype yet again and make a living robbing people again…cause thats basically what he is doing…its like blizz doing a kickstarter for their next Diablo 3 expansion….its that silly…its just about removing the risk and cashing in,its totally not why i found that kickstarter was a good idea and if this “TREND” keep going i won’t look at kickstarter the same way ever again and probably won’t ever give again.

2. Teovald says:

I backed that game. Molyneux makes many promises he is not able to keep, but the result will be an interesting looking game, far from the legions of brown shooters.

• Tyrone Slothrop. says:

I respect your course of action but must so many things be justified by an appeal to a false dichotomy that because of the existence of ‘brown shooters’, X is valid or meritorious? Surely it’s part of the tiresome and hollow canard that ‘things could always be worse‘?

• Kasab says:

Do we even see that many brown shooters about? There isn’t much space for them against the two top brown shooters, and one of those has a tendency to go orange and teal. Brown really isn’t as prevalent a trope as all our generalisations insist.

• The Random One says:

Yeah, now that Warfighter (WARFIGHTER) is out I don’t think there are any brown shooters on development, except for The Undying Franchise. Skyrim and Dishonored (DISHONOURED) killed them dead I think.

• Teovald says:

As a matter of fact, I reffered to “brown shooters” in order to do not make direct comparisons.
        Brown shooter for me just mean unoriginal game, it does not even have to be a fps or tps.

3. yeastcapp says:

I’m not one to be negative usually, but the demo looks sparse and depressing

• tobecooper says:

Yeah, depressing is the world I was looking for. Obviously it’s an alpha and made-in-two-weeks, so it can’t look good, but this is just sad. No concept, no depth, cool music. Then, I looked at the four logos displayed on the main page and I realized the game is going to be Populous Mobile, isn’t it?

• jeffcapeshop says:

I think it’s telling that there are soaring “points” in place at this very early stage. Clicking and points! people love clicking and points! look at Curiosity!

you’re probably not going to get a whole lot more depth here either.

• Syra says:

it looks tedious

• Chalky says:

Yeah, I mean I’m not even sure what this is meant to be a prototype of.

The ability to spawn a large number of identical houses on a green texture? The ability for red and blue sprites to walk up to each other and play an animation until one of them disappears? To explore whether completely over the top “epic music” makes something mundane seem impressive? (it doesn’t)

Naum says:

I actually giggled when the music took a turn for the (ever more) excitement-inducing epic while little man-things began to hack away at each other. It’d actually make a lot of sense as a cynical comment upon the current state of video games — but not so much as a video attempting to sell me one of them.

4. R says:

I wish Molyneux would stop trying to make revolutionary games and focus on making good games.

I mean, I know this is supposedly revolutionary, but it looks like Populous. It sounds like Populous, based on everything he has said. Which is fine. I would love for him to revisit the formula. But that isn’t a revolution, no matter how massive it is online.

Focus on making it good next time, if there is a next time.

• Kasab says:

Twenty years ago, Molyneux made both the good and the innovative. When did he decide one was enough? If… if even one, really? What did his tenure at Lionhead really achieve, aside from a doshpocalypse for Microsoft and a lot of BAFTA nominations? It’s a quaint little circumstance that he’s now begging for funding to basically make Populous again, because no-one’s really one-upped Syndicate yet. Or Dungeon Keeper. Or Theme Park.

5. plugmonkey says:

I can’t help feeling that if they were going to put a few people onto knocking up a proof of concept demo, the time to do it would have been just before the Kickstarter began. Hindsight really is a beautiful thing.

I think in recent months, quite a few experienced developers have had a harsh reminder in how you go about pitching a project. You wouldn’t turn up at a publisher’s door with a vague idea, nothing to show, and expect them to write a cheque for half a million quid. It turns out you shouldn’t do that on Kickstarter either.

• Brise Bonbons says:

My understanding of the big game publishing world (limited though it is), is that you actually *do* go to a publisher with a general idea and little else. All the costly R&D that goes into making a proper prototype is usually put off until after the deal is in place.

As I’ve seen it explained, most big publishers basically want to know what market space a game will fit in and what consumer demand it will fill, a list of bullet point features that will go on the box, and a rough budget and time frame. I have seen it explicitly said that the publishers do not care about game design details or technical specs, and would rather not be bothered with them.

Now, this is all 2nd and 3rd hand knowledge, I do not work in the game industry or anything. But this is how I’ve seen people who do work in the industry describe how to do a pitch and write a design document intended to be seen by the publisher.

Anyway, just a potential perspective on things. My information could be wrong.

• plugmonkey says:

Well, you want it to be brief, so you’re not going to go into great depth of design technicalities, but you also want it to be clear and focused. So, you go in with a specific idea and little else, with the little else being something that communicates how that specific idea is awesome. A proof of concept demo, a video, a ripomatic, a story board, a single image, hell, even a list of bullet point features if they’re stupidly great features. Something, anything, that makes the person listening to it say “Hey! That sounds great!”

You’re trying to build confidence and excitement. The way this Godus pitch has been run did neither.

Compare that to the Wasteland or Star Citizen or Double Fine pitches. Or the Chivalry one, or FTL. They all came in with a clear mission statement of exactly WHAT it was that they were going to make, with some supporting material to demonstrate WHY the people making it think it will be awesome, and you should think it’s awesome too! They all had something to show to generate a bit of WOW-factor.

Godus, and Elite: Dangerous, both seemed to think they could get away without bothering. Objectively, they’re both weak pitches. Weak pitches tend to get shot down in flames, even if they’re a strong idea, because you’re failing to communicate it.

• Flappybat says:

Agreed. They only seem to have made this because kickstarter has had some success, why not have a go? They plopped out a vague idea referencing an old game, chucked together some concept art and crapped it out in the hopes of hitting it big.

6. Scratches Beard With Pipe Stem says:

Would you play it on a plane?
    Would you play it in the rain?

• Laser-Pants 5000 says:

Would you play it in a cave?
      Would you play it at a rave?

• Atrocious says:

Would you play it at your house?
      Would you play it with a mouse?

Bracknellexile says:

Would you play it on a bus?
      Or would you just play Populus?

Lambchops says:

Would you play it on the street?
        Would you pledge to dear old Pete?

• Kadayi says:

Well given the endless rage people have towards DRM, there must be some out there whose mobile lifestyles are such that the mere thought of not being able to play a game at any point in time or any place sends them into conniptions.

• Loup Sombre says:

Would you play it with DRM ?
        Would you play it until the end ?

c-Row says:

Would you play this on a Wii?
      Or an XBox 3-60?

7. StevoIRL says:

God this looks awful. As an investor if I saw this prototype I would immediately put the brakes on and say stop. It’s not a game. The user doesn’t even do anything, The civ’s expand regardless of what action they take and honestly who gives a fuck about slightly moving a bit of boring terrain to the side.

It completely fails as a prototype. It points out why they should stop what they are doing and readdress their core ideas if anything because so far it just screams “User sits there and watches as the game plays itself”.

• Brise Bonbons says:

I’d have to agree, as much as I like the aesthetics (graphics and music) of what they’ve made. And, I mean, c’mon, that’s the point of prototyping! Sometimes you pursue an avenue and realize that it’s half baked and needs something more, and you save time in the long run by realizing it early. There’s no shame in it.

Personally, my expectations for a prototype for this game include at least a few god powers and… Really anything to spice up the basic town-building aspect of the game. Can they make shrines? Can you work miracles to give them food? Spawn hot springs for them to relax in? Not anything finalized or super complex, just some hint at where the depth in gameplay comes from.

Now, not to downplay the amount of work required just to get the game to this stage, but as has been mentioned, this stuff should have been in place at the start of the Kickstarter. And not just because Molyneux, I firmly think every game kickstarter should have a working prototype before launch, ideally that potential backers can play.

Maybe that’s me being an idealist, I dunno.

• StevoIRL says:

I agree 100%.

For comparison I checked out Limit Theory something which I was impressed if a bit skeptical like most for the sheer balls this dude has.

He has 4 demos of his prototype. Watching them I can clearly see what HE plans to implement AND what the CORE concepts are going to be like playing the game (he shows off quite a few in the demos).

Compare that to Godus. I watch a video of a gaming playing itself doing random spawns while the user gentle nudes corners of the earth with next to no impact. How entertaining. Like you said if you were going to prototype it gives us something which is impressive to the eye or something a gamer can relate to “Oh I can flood that city with my powers by draining the river into their town, brilliant”. Not this crap where I don’t even get the point of the user even being there.

8. Uthred says:

Is Godus really so important that there needs to be a post on it every time it gets any kind of significant update?

• Vorphalack says:

I think this has become less about GODUS and more about what happens when influential people do a bad kickstarter. In this particular case, it’s the developer equivalent of watching a car crash as they scramble to flesh out their pitch with a 3 minute video of nothing. While I think there is a good point to be made explaining why they are failing so badly, I also think we might have seen enough already.

• Lanfranc says:

I wouldn’t say the GODUS Kickstarter is “failing badly”. It’ll be really close with £70,000 to go, but the pledges have picked up in the last couple of days, so there’s a realistic chance it will make it.

• Vorphalack says:

Failing in the sense that they aren’t realising the potential for a crowd funded god game. With a better pitch they would have been over the funding line weeks ago.

• Joshua Northey says:

I agree with this completely. Done just a tiny bit better this game nets over a million easy, if not more. As it is they simply leave too many sitting on the sidelines wondering why.

They needed a better prototype, more well defined game (beyond just populous 1 with better graphics for cell phones), and a deep and frank discussion of why they need money when they should presumably both have it themselves and be able to get it from a bank or publisher.

• SkittleDiddler says:

This is RPS, where Molyneux taking a shit into a plastic bag is considered worthy of coverage.

• The Random One says:

“Peter Molineux extruded a massive turd onto the bag. There was a long pause, and then he farted.”

Lambchops says:

I did my god game backing with Maia. Godus can wait until the product if finished and I can see if it looks like it’s worth buying.

• abandonhope says:

I did my Dungeon Keeper-esque backing with Nekro (Maia was an almost, but low funds). Godus could turn out okay, or even great. What I don’t like is that Molyneux acts as if he’s come to save the world and Kickstarter with a game so revolutionary all our pants will fall off.

Meanwhile, Nekro looks vastly more original, and Maia looks a lot more cohesive and fun–with a better setting. I’m not sure what terrible evils Molyneux is trying to save me from, but lack of god game projects on Kickstarter isn’t one of them. He needs to stop selling the revolution and start selling the game.

• Yglorba says:

The weird thing is that it doesn’t look that original. From Dust didn’t come out that long ago.

• Hoaxfish says:

I think Godus has a lineage closer to Populous and Black&White (Large landmasses, rolling hills, villages, towns, houses, etc) than those Maia is aiming for (Dungeon Keeper-style, caves, tunnels, rooms). Lemons vs limes of god games I guess.

10. R says:

If Molyneux was Valve-clever, he would be doing a slow reveal of Godus through Curiosity.

• The Random One says:

Deusus ex curiositas?

There was a Godus ad on a Curiosity layer when it first came out; as I recall, people didn’t care much for it.

11. P-Dazzle says:

I think the fact that this game will be made whether it gets it’s funding or not is the reason I will not be funding it. Oh and that Peter Molyneux could stump up the £450,000 in a heartbeat himself if he so wished.

• Supahewok says:

This again? Molyneux has already said that he’s spent his small fortune on just getting his new company together.

I also don’t see why that would be a problem in the first place. Where the money comes from won’t affect the game, and by Kickstartering, he takes financial risk off of himself if the game turns out to be not popular. (I didn’t say BAD, I said not popular) For our part, we get to get the game at a reduced price. Sure, there’s always the chance it won’t show up or if it does, it’ll be a failure. That’s why you never put down money you can’t afford to lose. But that’s an entirely separate issue from “he should pay for it himself.”

Also, this is the first I’ve heard of Godus for sure being developed if it doesn’t get Kickstarted. Could you please tell me where you got that from? I didn’t see it on the page.

• P-Dazzle says:

Look at the size of the office in their videos, and the amount of staff they have. They are obviously not a “kickstarter or bust” set up.
        If this kickstarter fails I will be 100% confident that the game will still be developed. Make a note ;)

• Supahewok says:

I’m certain as well. However, I haven’t heard anything definite of how they would do so: securing funding from private investors? Going back to a publisher? Coming back to Kickstarter after marinating the product for a year or so? Go into debt? Some of those options are worse than others. It sounded as if you might have known something more concrete.

12. Beernut says:

I don’t have much experience with god games, never having played Populous, so I don’t have an exact idea of what I would expect from one. But I honestly can’t find anything compelling or new in GODUS’s pitching-videos, which would make me want to play it. It looks a bit like a giant sandbox to me, with the player who can manipulate the environment or use some more directed powers to influence the little people scurrying around. Life in the sandbox would go on fine without the player, though. From everything I’ve seen so far, GODUS seems to be extremely shallow when it comes to gameplay or general involvement.
    In Black & White you could at least command your powerful half-god-creatures in order to interact with your minions and it had the whole “moral education”-aspect to it, in which your creature would align its behavior in respect to your actions and become as evil/good as yourself in the long run.
    I’ll reserve final judgement for the finished game of course, but up until now I’m more sceptical than enthused.

13. King in Winter says:

That’s nice and all I suppose, but it seems to me that it is just an AI technology demo. The other half of the game is missing completely; the divine powers that players can use. Let’s see some fire and brimstone raining down, and hear about the mechanics involved. Then, perhaps, we can discuss about pledging to the kickstarter.

14. rustybroomhandle says:

I’d totally pledge to this, but sadly I spent my last penny in the world on the Lore Kickstarter. That’s so awesome it even got a feature on Forbes http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/12/17/meet-lore-the-most-entertaining-kickstarter-project-of-all-time/

Seriously though, for all the negativity I do feel like 22 Cans will produce a passable game in the end. Maybe not revolutionary or anything, but hell not much is any more.

• Ruffian says:

rofl, this is too awesome. how have I not seen it until now? Manandtaur, probably the best piece of concept art for a monster in a game ever made, in the world.

15. -Maelig- says:

Looks awfully generic. I really don’t mind the protoype being lo-fi and clunky, but where’s the ambition? “3D Populous” sounds a bit shy as a concept.

• zaphod42 says:

Molyneux, like some other “big name” developers, seems to be completely unaware of what other developers have done in the years since he released Populous.

We see this a ton where these guys seem to think the industry froze when they released their game, and they just have no CLUE all the many games that have come out since and the ways that gameplay has grown. They think the same games from the 80s will still be revolutionary; its laughable. They don’t play games though so they have no clue, there’s a huge disconnect.

Seriously Molyneux, a modern populous? Who cares?

The new Sim City looks like the exact same thing but x 1,000 more detailed and balanced and tested.

• Lemming says:

I’d argue that in terms of the god game genre, the industry has pretty much froze. What innovations have their been since the Dungeon keeper/Theme Park days apart from graphics? A ‘selection of the best’ game with to a modern audience would seem the most timely thing to do, IMO.

• edwardoka says:

Dwarf Fortress.

• Lemming says:

That’s not a god game, that’s a war of attrition against a UI.

• edwardoka says:

Can’t it be both? :D

If Dungeon Keeper is a god game, I’d strongly argue that DF is too. Toady has taken that genre so much further than anyone else.

16. zaphod42 says:

Don’t believe his lies. Molyneux is the worst of the games industry, completely unaware of what other developers are doing, massively overconfident in his own abilities, makes his programmers work 24/7 to make up for his bad design mistakes, its terrible. He seems to think crunch time is something to celebrate.

Quote the kickstarter, “GODUS draws on the cunning battle-psychology of Dungeon Keeper, the living, changing world of Black & White and the instinctive, satisfying gameplay of Populous.”

Suuuuuuure it will, Molyneux. Especially considering you only have like 1/4th the development team and money and time that each of those games took, individually, somehow you’re going to make something that’s better than all of them put together?

He’s like a spoiled child who doesn’t know any better, he demands the impossible.

17. Mark_S says:

Populous II was absolutely one of my ‘games wot made me’, instilling me with a lifelong love of the genre and an enduring egomania and disdain for humanity that I bear with me to this day. Seeing this demo, I’m reminded of the feelings of bitter dissapointment that I felt upon playing Black & White and realising I’d been sold an overblown tamagotchi interactive screensaver. Boo!

• Ruffian says:

I felt the same way, playing the game, after getting excited over reading the box.

• Kobest says:

I remember reading about Black and White’s developer diaries each month published in a Hungarian gaming magazine and boy, it sure sounded like a revolutionary game crafted from the tears of Jesus. When it came out though, it drained all meaning from the word ‘disappointing.’ Of course, the reviewers of the magazine simply had to give it a 90+ score after all the coverage that crap got over the months.

Now, I’m not sure if I’m witnessing a game developer’s excessive narcissism here, but if the guy wants to remake Populous why can’t he just say it so? The fact that this terrible pitch can raise this much of money is a bit disgusting.

18. Bhazor says:

“No internet connection required to play the game in singleplayer.”

The fact you have to specify that is kinda depressing.

• Citrus says:

Coming up next, MORE STEAM DEALS. YAY DRM!

*everyone bends over for Gabe*

19. Crainey says:

I was pretty disappointed by From Dust and this game looks very similar to it, that’s my main reason I’m not throwing my money at this. Another of my reasons is that the feature list and general vision of the game is so vague that I don’t know what I’m putting my money towards. Like you and countless others have said, they thought Peter’s name would carry them over the goal easily and overzealously rushed out a Kickstarter Project, we need to see what we are pledging towards!

20. benkc says:

“We put this together in under 2 weeks”, 4 weeks into the project, really begs the question of what they were doing in the first 2 weeks of the kickstarter that was more important than a basic prototype. (Or of course, in the weeks leading up to the kickstarter’s launch.)

• BrightCandle says:

They were fixing curiosities server presumably after their very bumpy release.

• Citrus says:

And they couldn’t have waited until they have fixed those issues before starting a Kickstarter? I mean creating a proper demo for Kickstarter would’ve required every person if they are a small team (not really).

21. BrightCandle says:

He laughs at his potential investors in the videos. You should never make jokes about how you won’t deliver, making light of the people who might invest is pretty dumb. They don’t deserve to make their funding goal after curiosity and that terrible campaign and 2 week hobbled prototype. They will though I suspect just make it.

But PC and mobile….? Which hole has peter been hiding in where he thinks that appeals to PC gamers to get another game hobbled by the interface and capabilities of such a crippled platform.

22. AlienMind says:

The first shown pixel of the intro of Syndicate is a better game than this

23. Ruffian says:

So, it’s a bulldozing sim without a bulldozer and some AI running around in the background or what? I don’t even get what this is supposed to be. What the hell are the random numbers at the top and sides supposed to be?

• Sam says:

The number at the top is your “belief”, which is basically mana for casting various spells. The more people you have the faster it generates, there’s also something about if they build higher elevation(?) houses they give more belief. I think it’s those spells where the main interest in the game will be found. But they’ve not shown any in action yet, just some concept art for a tornado and mentions of things like earthquakes.

All they have in the prototype so far is the basic landscape changing ability, the AI creating houses on flat land, and filling them with more people. The larger area of clear land you create around a house, the more it’s able to expand. Certainly it’s a pretty shallow game without the spells in place.

The numbers at the side are just a count of the populations of the two players.

24. Sc0r says:

I still don’t forgive Molineux for messing um Black&White by over-simplifying or leaving out major game features.
    And I’m not quite sure why I pledged for GODUS. I just did in an act of desperation and hope.