Hack And Therefore Slash: Van Helsing In The Forest

By Jim Rossignol on December 20th, 2012 at 5:00 pm.

Neocore’s action-splatterer, The Incredible [We'll be the judge of that - RPS] Adventures of Van Helsing, is looking pretty impressive. With four-player co-op and a follower system, it’s just as ambitious as other ARPGs out there, but also seems to offer something more, claiming of the follower that you can “Build and develop their hideout and place traps to defend it from waves of terrible monsters.” Which sounds interesting like a tower-defence sub-game. Anyway, the new trailer (below) shows off Mr Van Helsing doing death stuff in a resplendent gothic forest, and reveals a rather handsome engine. I’ve posted a dev video too, which shows off some other lighting stuff.

Hey look, we interviewed Neocore about the game.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. godofdefeat says:

Looks good.
    And promising.

• erikagarver9 says:

Now difficult to get a job with good salary, but with this company you can make $ 45 per hour. All information on this site..Read More

• killuminati says:

Yup, I can see my playing this game and enjoiyng it more than D3.
      Plus.. what the bot said!

2. Ryan Huggins says:

Just watched what I presume was a gameplay trailer. It looks pretty good, but I feel like I’m too much of a fan of shitty, stylized, 2D graphics. :I I can’t wait to start developing in 3D so I can better appreciate it. haha

3. Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

The Allegedly-Incredible-But-Not-Yet-Evaluated-For-Incredibility-However-Charitably-Allowed-To-Use-The-Word-Incredible-Until-Proven-Otherwise Adventures of Van Helsing?

4. RogerioFM says:

Kind of tired of dirablo, But ok, I’ll take a look when it’s done.

5. Moraven says:

Gives a Grim Dawn vibe.

• gravity_spoon says:

I think someone said the same last time RPS posted about this game. And I do have to agree……again. It might be a bit more colorful than GD though.

6. golem09 says:

watchign that lightning demo, I just had to think about how the next elder scrolls game will look like, if they finally make a completely new up to date engine.

• FurryLippedSquid says:

I think that’s a safe assumption as the current one doesn’t work on PS3 tech.

7. barelyhomosapien says:

Looks like it could be good!

The combat didn’t seem to offer much in the way of feedback (satisfying punchy sounds, OTT effects and ultra violence) though which I personallu find important in an ARPG. Not a final build of course so definitely one to watch,

8. tobecooper says:

In a previous trailer, he was running though a city, now he runs through a forest. Progress!
    But I like what I’m seeing. The game is supposed to be 8-10 hours long, so it could be an amusing little experience. A tower defense sub-game could be a fun addition too.

9. Solidstate89 says:

Hellsing huh? Needs more oversized pistols.

10. spongthe1st says:

I don’t know about this. I would’ve preferred a Van Helsing game to be a bit more about investigating and tracking down an individual or small group of powerful monsters within a certain area rather than fighting wave after wave of grunts. Imagine Hitman but in an 18th century Romanian township and you have to figure out and confront who the vampire is, or something. To me this is rather like taking Sherlock Holmes and turning him into a door-kicking Sweeny-esque lawman.

11. mehteh says:

Its on consoles too? ive been looking forward to yet another dumbed down RPG failure like Dungeon Siege 3

12. Hanban says:

I am oddly enough reminded of Nocturne. That was a great game!