Here’s Another Episode Of Crysis 3′s Not-Quite-A-Movie

By Nathan Grayson on December 20th, 2012 at 9:00 am.

Crysis 3: starring The Bow and What's-His-Face, holder of The Bow.

If you have a perfectly pristine photographic memory for Adam’s posts – and honestly, who doesn’t? – you’ll remember that he recently came across the first episode in EA’s Albert-Hughes-directed “Seven Wonders” Crysis 3 series. He also said these things, “I think I’m supposed to care about the story here, but is it really anything more than an excuse to cram opposing forces into an interesting place so they can shoot each other? Nothing wrong with that but I’d prefer to see more of the weighty in-engine conflict and less of the build-up.” Frankly, I share that sentiment, and apparently, so does Albert Hughes. Episode 2, you see, is all action. OK, and there’s some cheesy narration, but you can ignore that.

Those are certainly some powerful bow blows. Or I suppose the Ceph’s pink, gelatinous flesh could just be really soft. Hm. Now I kind of want to eat Jello.

More importantly, though, that’s all looking quite nice. It’s Crysis, so there’s invisibits and armor-denoting eyeball scales and MAXIMUM TRAIN LEAPS and all that fun stuff. But it looks as tense and skull-shattering as ever, so I can’t really complain. Granted, my Far Cry 3 instincts were telling me to use the tall grass to break line-of-sight and get some distance (like, say, a mile) before re-engaging, but Crysis has evolved into a very different sort of game. I’m not complaining, mind you – though personally, I’d say I’m more of a sucker for open world madness than slightly scripted spectacle.

Again, though, as far as power fulfillment man/squid shootery goes, Crysis 3 seems primed to hit all the right notes – even if a number of them are fairly predictable. I imagine I’ll be checking it out, anyway. How about you?

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. justinlee21 says:

Shooting aliens with a bow? Such a waste.

I wish Crysis would just knock it off with the aliums, I want to drag humans around damn it.

2. MeestaNob says:

Is this going to be saddled with Origin, or is EA merely publishing it?

3. Terragot says:

Dayum.

Also why does a peasent like arrow make aliens die a horrible splosiony death and a big ol’ gun firing something like 7.62 mm nato rounds hardly make a scratch?

I’d be all over this shooter if the actual shooting part made sense.

Dayum.

• kadeton says:

You mean the “peasant-like” arrow with the hardened alloy armour-piercing tip and explosive payload, fired from a recurve bow with a draw weight set for a guy in a suit that gives him super-strength? I can’t imagine.

Explosive arrows do rather detract from the bow as a stealth alternative to a gun, but the whole setup seems to be going for rule-of-cool, so whatever I guess.

• Sakkura says:

The higher velocity of bullets increases the resistance force exerted by the target. Penetration can be easier to achieve if you go slower… A valuable life lesson.

• simonh says:

Reminds me of a rather surprising episode of Mythbusters, where they were testing the trope of jumping into the water when under fire. The more powerful the gun, the shorter the bullet could travel in water. A .50 cal sniper round will simply explode at the surface and not penetrate at all.

• Didden says:

I like the fact that the arrows appear magically as well…

4. Sakkura says:

I’m glad I didn’t hear about MAXIMUM TRAIN LEAPS when I was 12 years old. That could have gone horribly wrong.

5. Syra says:

Suddenly I want to be in this playground very much…

6. byteCrunch says:

Where do all these arrows keep coming from? Magic invisible quiver.

• Didden says:

Ah good I’m not the only one to spot that minor detail.

• DrKilljoy says:

Actually, if you look carefully they appear to be coming out of that box part of the bow. A box that is shorter than the arrows I should mention. Maybe they’re retractable or something.

• nearly says:

part of the bow is actually a 3d printer.

I’m not sure if I’d be insulted if the bow required you to pick up ammo or not.

7. Turkey says:

Interesting. Didn’t know this was a game about choice. I guess I want to be the hunted… No, wait, the hunter… hunted seems more exciting… but beeing the hunter does have certain advantages.

I can’t decide, you guys.

8. Trithne says:

I really don’t like the Aliens from Crysis 2/3. I always felt like the ones in Crysis 1 were the Mi-Go, and they at least interested me, but then they changed everything for Crysis 2 and it became boring.

9. felisc says:

How i wish the story would be as simple as “see this tower in the distance ? The big baddie lives there. It’s 20 kilometers away, you’ll have to walk there with your magic suit and heavy guns.” I’d love to play a crysis 3 like that.

10. Flakfizer says:

Why is the Team Fortress announcer there?

• SuperNashwanPower says:

I thought it was the half life 2 announcer

Attention ground units. Anticitizen reported in this community. Code: lock, cauterise, sterilise

Apparently thats the same woman who does GlaDOS, Ellen McLain (in half life I mean, dont know about crysis)

11. Iskariot says:

Looks very good to me. This game will be great fun to play.

12. Fallward says:

This looks beyond boring. Generic FPS from 12 years ago in fancy graphics, most likely to appeal to the younger audience (12-16 yr old males). Will be sticking to FTL i think,

13. fallingmagpie says:

Anyone else feel like Crysis 3 has already been out for about 6 months?

14. SuperNashwanPower says:

Hi Nathan

Not wanting to come across as internet-rude, but I’m sort of perplexed by this:

“Granted, my Far Cry 3 instincts were telling me to use the tall grass to break line-of-sight and get some distance (like, say, a mile) before re-engaging, but Crysis has evolved into a very different sort of game. I’m not complaining, mind you – though personally, I’d say I’m more of a sucker for open world madness than slightly scripted spectacle.”

Maybe the two sentence parts aren’t strictly in reference to one another, but I going to assume they are ;) Half the story missions in Far Cry 3 are linear, scripted and QTE driven [Not to mention the Lost Expeditions extra content where I was sure my name should have been 'Ghost']. There’s even three turret sections, precisely two more than most COD games. I am wondering, did you skip over the story and just play in the open world bits? I couldn’t believe the amount of times FC3 took away control, made me do a QTE fight scene or railroaded me, given how little coverage that actually received in the press. I am asking because I feel like I must have missed something. Beyond radio towers, relic & loot containers, outpost liberation and hunting / crafting, what truly open world stuff does FC3 have? Everything else restricts you to a small bit of map about the size shown in the trailer above.

It took me a few hours to do all the open world bits, I am genuinely intrigued to know how you guys are finding so many open world hours in it? With all outposts gone,and the second island friendly, there arent even any enemies to fight. Are you just attacking friendlies and endlessly hunting tigers with C4? Help me love this game as you do, cos I pre-ordered and now feel silly!

15. Network Crayon says:

There’s a lot i like the look of in this, The big dome, the authoritive announcer lady. Makes it seem like a huge game, like running man.

16. SuicideKing says:

Ok, at least we have new aliens.

Though seriously, is this entire game going to be played in a dome?

• SuperNashwanPower says:

What if it’s a really massive dome?

• SuicideKing says:

No…i don’t know. Not the same as a big island or rain forest or a city which merges into a huge jungle…imagine if Crysis 3 was set in a really dense version of Amerish with cities/towns/villages/outposts instead of the bases?

I wish, too that Crysis had someone other than the Ceph and Cell.

17. Felixader says:

I really wished someone would take the tech and make an appropriate (Open World?) Turok.

I am Turok!