‘Tis The Season For Humble Bundle And Indie Royale

By Nathan Grayson on December 20th, 2012 at 2:00 pm.

The holidays are a time of indecision. Who should you visit? What ugly, uncomfortable seasonal sweater should you wear? Which deity(s) should you dedicate your hedonistic blood celebrations to (aside from Horace, of courace)? And, most importantly, what will you buy before/after your relatives shower you with socks or rocks or whatever it is that passes for a universal gift these days? But it doesn’t end there. Oh no. There are, after all, 927.45 trillion videogames to choose between, so you may as well just start sobbing and curl up in a fetal futility ball right now. Unless… no, no. That’s crazy. But maybe… no. It’ll never work. Ah, what the hell: bundles! Both Indie Royale and Humble Bundle have new offerings up, and they’re quite tempting, if I do say so myself.

So then, what’s inside the shiny, red-and-green-colored virtual wrapping? Well, Indie Royale’s Xmas Bundle 2.0 is packing physics puzzle-platformer Colour Blind, the utterly delightful Offspring Fling, Serious Sam Double D, Serious Sam: The Random Encounter, Wadjet Eye’s Puzzle Bots, and hex-based strategy Little Kingdom. It’s running right up until Christmas, so act with a quickness. Maybe even two quicknesses. Not three, though. That’s pushing it.

Humble Bundle, meanwhile, has returned from a brief (though perhaps not final) jaunt into triple-A-topia, and it’s bearing gifts of a decidedly more independent nature. Specifically, heavy hitters like The Binding of Isaac, Closure, and Shank 2 are all present and accounted for, as are photo-based puzzle platformer Snapshot, and – if you beat the average price – Legend of Grimrock and Dungeon Defenders. Oh, Indie Game: The Movie’s also included, which – come to think of it – could make for some interesting holiday viewing with the folks. This one will continue right into the new year, so feel free to take your time and use your remaining quicknesses elsewhere.

That’s 11 mostly great games and one, um, amusing movie for remarkably close to zero dollars. So, right then, seems like a solid no-brainer to me. Which is good, because – as I noted earlier – deciding is hard.

, , , , , .

1. Premium User Badge LTK says:

It’s Colour Bind without the L, Nathan. ;)

Forget the Steam sale, all I want for christmas is bundles.

• RuySan says:

Coour Bind?

• erikagarver9 says:

I quit working at shoprite and now I make $35h – $80h…how? I’m working online! My work didn’t exactly make me happy so I decided to take a chance on something new… after 4 years it was so hard to quit my day job but now I couldn’t be happier. Heres what I do..Read More

2. Gnoupi says:

This year, I was lacking time to experiment several new games. I had my eyes on Snapshot, Legends of Grimrock, Closure, Offspring fling, when they all released, but lacked the time, and was thinking that anyway, nothing lost in waiting.

And bundles are proving this to be right, once again. Be patient enough (and here, that’s really not a long time, as they mostly all released this year), and you can get any quality indie game you want, for peanuts.

On the one hand, it’s good for my wallet, admittedly.
    On the other hand, it’s clearly teaching me that I shouldn’t buy any game on release anymore. Even indies. There’s just no point in that. My current backlog is anyway big enough to prevent me from wondering “hm, I could use something new to play”, and in a few months’ time there is a bundle with what I wanted to get.

That’s worrying.

Because I’m at the point where I actually refrain from buying new things, because I hate the feeling to see a game getting discounted, or “pay what you want”, when I bought it on release and failed to play it more than a few hours. Especially when that happens a mere few months after.

• solidsquid says:

GOG has Legend of Grimrock on sale for the next half hour, either individually for 50% off or as part of the pack below for 75% off all of them

• Alien426 says:

That sale was very well thought out. When you already had a game from a bundle, it would subtract the price for it and keep the 75% discount. Thereby not having to buy a game you already have or having to remove it and live with only 50% discount.

• Kobest says:

Agreed and this tends to happen with AAA titles as well. I got Borderlands 2 when it came out and just one month after it went on sale for half the price! I don’t mind the money as much because I put plenty of hours into the game but this does not change my negative feeling when I see a huge discount so soon.

I guess we have to think more about how much we are willing to spend for a given game. Sometimes a huge discount can be a sting, but it also happens that I skip a sale because the game deserves full price (for example, Defender’s Quest).

• Randomer says:

At this point, my backlog is so huge that I really don’t buy any games (apart from a gem like Defender’s Quest). But I do buy the bundles, ’cause why not? The bundles are a chance for the game companies make money off someone like me who would not be spending any money on games otherwise.

But I’m a lost case. I can see there being an argument to cease Steam sales and bundles so as to stop making people like me.

3. YeOldeSnake says:

The Groupees Greenlight bundle seems to be quite interesting as well.

• kalirion says:

Indeed. And very much unlike the other two, I bet vast majority of bundle connoisseurs don’t already own most of the games it contains!

• YeOldeSnake says:

Indeed. It features some relatively obscure, yet quite awesome games. I think it deserves it’s own RPS article.

• manitoo says:

There’s so much to choose from :(

What do you recommend?

• Jupiah says:

I don’t really care for most of the games being offered, but one of the bonuses is La-Mulana! It’s worth purchasing for that alone.

4. Premium User Badge AmateurScience says:

I have a spare key or two from HiB 7. Pop a comment in if you use one.

Binding of Isaac + DLC: Q56X3-HEJD7-IFB3K

Indie Game the Movie: PKT92-T8MTI-BQ8HL

Merry festives!

• Mman says:

Used the Indie Game the Movie code. Thanks!

• Loodac says:

And I got Isac. Thank you kind sir, and happy holidays!

• Anguy says:

Apropos HIB: I still got a key left from HIB6 with Wizorb, BIT.TRIP.RUNNER, Gratuitous Space Battles, and Jamestown.
      Please comment if anyone has used it:

4Y7Q3-NGB8D-C0PEC

Binding of Isacc
      6A0MY-MLED6-D63MA

Snapshot
      A3B5G-FNQ4E-0T256

Wizorb, BIT.TRIP.RUNNER, Gratuitous Space Battles, and Jamestown
      EFVAH-7Y097-D4LWN

Please post when you’ve taken one, or it’s been used.

• galen says:

I’ve taken Snapshot, thanks!

• Vlad The Impaler says:

I now have obtained Bit Trip Runner, Wizorb, Space Battles and Jamestown. Many thanks.

• Scandalon says:

Some scurrilous malcontent has used the Dawn of War code without posting, or even a “thank you”.

• Commissar Choy says:

Extra keys for anyone who wants!
      The Binding of Isaac + Wrath of the Lamb DLC Steam Key
      HD8E7-VKL70-6KLJV

Shank 2 Steam Key
      WZFXG-JNE2J-KTBRA

Please post when taken. :D

• Loodac says:

Got Shank 2, thanks! :)

• SkittleDiddler says:

Somebody used the BoI code, and it wasn’t me. I’ll thank you for that person, though :)

5. Commander Gun says:

Bundles start to annoy me really. Some games appear again and again, so that half of the games are always already in my inventory. Granted, the games are still cheap then, but still.
    And then there’s the vague definition of what an indea game is nowadays.

And i said it once and will say it again. Time proves again and again that, if you do not play competetive games online, your best bet is to lag 6-9 months behind release schedule.Your favorite indie game will eventually comeout in a bundle, and the mainstream games will simply be for sale with 66/75% off being no exception.

• Mattressi says:

I’m not sure what you’re annoyed about; that bundles contain so many games that they will often overlap (which isn’t an issue since they’re great deals anyway – and if you don’t find them to be, you can just not buy them) or that games become cheaper as they age?

Time also proves again and again that what you’ve said is true for everything related to electronic entertainment (and many other goods). Old movies and albums sell for much less than new releases, consoles sell for 5x as much (or more) when first released compared to their price after a few years of release. It’s not like games are unique in this, nor is it likely that any slightly-observant person has been hoodwinked by this phenomenon. If you don’t like that games are worth less half a year after release, wait half a year. If you can’t wait, pay the higher price (because all you’re paying extra for is to have it “right now”).

6. Kobest says:

These are great bundles but my only complaint is that many of the offered games cannot be bought in the Humble way (DRM-free, Linux/Mac support, etc.) after the Bundle expires. It would be great if the developers offered their games on their websites if someone misses out on their Humble versions. (For example, Shank 1, I’d love to buy it the Humble way but managed to miss out on the deal.)

• Kefren says:

Yeah, they should make sure each game appears on GOG.

• Kobest says:

That would be great! They really have everything for it: DRM-free coding, extras, etc. I bet they would make some extra cash with that option.

• MichaelPalin says:

They still lack Linux support though, :/ I guess they will have Linux support next year, but I don’t understand how is it so difficult to release Linux versions of games that already have a linux version. Or even Mac, Legend of Grimrock has Mac support, but gog only features the windows client.

• MichaelPalin says:

Yeah!, it’s quite strange that HIB games are not automatically featured on the Humble Store, not sure what would prevent a developer to allow that once they have been in a bundle.

7. Ryan Huggins says:

One of the best bundles I’ve seen since the one with Cave Story + in it. I love the Humble Indie Bundle, but I already have all the games! haha.

8. kwyjibo says:

I much preferred the non-Indie DRMed non-Linux version of the Bundle.

9. SuperNashwanPower says:

DELECTURABLY BUNDULAR

10. Baines says:

You should point out that, unlike the THQ games, that is Dungeon Defenders *with* all DLC. The game has over $100 of DLC, after all.

• Commissar Choy says:

That’s why I bought it honestly, I wanted all that delicious DLC after being denied the majority of it on console.

• Baines says:

I bought it even though I already owned Dungeon Defenders and some of the DLC. The Humble Bundle BTA was less that the missing DLC would cost me even during a 75% off Steam sale. Which says as much about Dungeon Defender’s volume of DLC as it does the nature of bundles.

11. JD Ogre says:

Really wish Humble’d slow down on the Bundles. Make ‘em quarterly (preferably scheduled so they don’t overlap with the seasonal Steam sales) and I bet that both the average donation/purchase and number of sales would go up (and with no need to find filler games to pad them out like we’ve had many times before).

Two traditional Indie Bundles a year and two specialty (company-focused or non-game, like the book & music ones) bundles would be best, IMHO.

• Falcyn says:

To be fair, the flagship “Humble Indie Bundle” is less than quarterly — this is the 3rd this year. The main bundle, IMO, has never been padded. The other ones, sure, but you can always ignore them.

12. Premium User Badge elderman says:

I do my best to pay a significant fraction of what the bundle is actually worth, but I can never buy a Humble Bundle without a guilty feeling I’ve gotten away with something.

13. Premium User Badge Carra says:

Indie game the movie is an excellent flick.

14. Ernesto says:

The bundle singularity is near :D