Cheap Shot: Pro Wrestling X – Uprising

By Adam Smith on December 21st, 2012 at 5:00 pm.

When I’m not commanding my vassals I like to watch big men in tights pretending to fight, so I was dismayed when Pro Wrestling X failed to reach its Kickstarter target. With man-grappling a thin stable on the PC, an independently developed game that aimed to bring back the glory days of No Mercy was a thing that I very much wanted to play. The team claimed that they’d be back with something playable but I didn’t expect them to follow through on the promise quite as quickly as they have. Continued development will now be funded by selling access to existing versions of the game, with updates provided as they are produced. With a minimum buy-in of $5, I’ve already determined to find out how well it all comes together.

Here’s a video showing some of the progress so far and items on the fix-list.

I’ve been enjoying WWE 13 a fair bit when I end up in front of my television instead of my monitor, particularly making wrestlers with oversized heads and hands, and then throwing them all into a Royal Rumble. It’s the booking and management side of the game I’m most interested in though and while Yukes’ ‘Universe’ mode has strong aspects, it’s also riddled with flaws. Something gangs of PC modders would probably turn their talents to quite readily if it ever showed up on these shores.

I suspect that side of Pro Wrestling X will take long time to materialise, if it’s planned at all, but all of the storylines and roster-bothering in the (not)WWE Universe aren’t worth the non-existent paper their code is printed on if the action in and out of the ring isn’t up to scratch. At least now we can see how that’s coming along.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. jayc4life says:

Given that it took 6+ years to even put out a working prototype so far, I’d say it’s going to be a hell of a long shot before we see what could be considered a final release version. As much stick as it’s gotten from the internet wrestling community at large for being the Duke Nukem Forever of the genre, at least it’s out there now, and that’s the biggest hurdle to overcome.

2. Drake Sigar says:

I’m not sold yet, but I was a huge wrestling fan from the late 80s to 90s and am dying for a PC wrestling game.

3. DickSocrates says:

I visit this site, PC Gamer, Kotaku, Joystiq, Eurogamer and Giantbomb multiple times every day. I also visit one wrestling dirtsheet just to keep up on the latest wrestling nonsense which I haven’t watched in over 10 years and will likely never watch again, as it’s dreadful. I do/did have a soft spot for wrestling computer games, Wrestlemania 2000 and then No Mercy being in my top 10 games of all time.

This is the first time I’ve heard of this game or that there was a Kickstarter. How was I supposed to know to consider funding something literally no one covered until after it was too late? I already do far too much reading about the games industry.

4. Chris Evans says:

Oh how I need to check this out when I get a chance after Christmas.

5. NoTanFightFan says:

I’m happy to support these guys. They’re taking in as much feedback as they can and they are actually trying to create something special for wrestling fans. They built the game from scratch, and though it isn’t perfected yet, with every donation, they’re putting money towards improving, rather than doing what they can out of pocket. Hopefully they can gather up a good budget to work with. Lance Storm has offered up his training facility for motion capture, and I believe he also said he would be looking at the moves in the game and be giving feedback as needed.

6. Zankmam says:

I actually contacted the author (with my best intentions) about a possible issue:
    “Will the game be a 2012 game with an old-school feel, or will it be an outdated game released in 2012?”

Check out the nice reply presented by the user “EmotionBlur”.

7. DonDrapersAcidTrip says:

What is with everybody on every wrestling forum having gigantic ass images and twenty quotes in their signatures. It’s like forums filled with females obsessed over benedict cumberbatch or the bad guy from avengers, only instead it’s guys and the pictures are romantically photoshopped imagery of sweaty dudes on steroids.

8. McCool says:

Purely in terms of a generator for stories, the Manager Mode in the first Smackdown vs RAW game was fascinating. It was something of a Vince McMahon Tycoon, giving you the task of booking matches and making stars out of the roster at your fingertips. To this day, I’m still unsure to whether or not this mode has ever been revisited, but it had a huge amount of potential.

Really, the idea of a Wrestling Sim game, ala Footballer Manager, is far more interesting to me than one that, uh, simulates the wrestling.

• Vurogj says:

Given that it is in your area of interest, there’s a good chance you already know about it, but I feel obliged to mention Total Extreme Wrestling from Greydog Software, which is pretty much exactly what you ask for in your post.

The 2013 edition came out this week, and there is a demo to have a look at.