Crysis 3: Six Minutes More Man-Arrowing Footage

By Jim Rossignol on December 21st, 2012 at 4:00 pm.

Crysis 3 has taken on a strange, amorphous shape in my head. I’ve not really been following it closely enough to really say all that much about it, and having gone back to look at all the previous materials to post this video – including Nathan’s interview with Mr Crytek, in which he talks about a lot of things which are not Crysis 3 at all – I’m rather excited. I realise I am in a (handsome, intelligent and perceptive) minority in having had a great time in Crysis 2, but I can’t help feeling that Crytek’s mission is laudable. They really do want to make the shooter that covers everything, and is all things to all shooter-fans. Yerli’s quotes in that interview suggest he’s lost none of his ambition, and it’s clear that all kinds of concessions have to be made in projects of this magnitude. And the very least they are aiming high. This new footage, below, contains some spectacular moments. Go take a look.

Crysis 3 squeezes into a skin-tight black release-suit in February.

, , , .

1. justinlee21 says:

I thought that this video has some footage about arrows being applied to a man’s face, TURNS OUT I WAS WRONG.

Gap Gen says:

Took me a minute to figure out why you’d want technical diagrams of the human anatomy.

• VeronicaWadlington says:

my classmate’s step-aunt makes $64 an hour on the laptop. She has been without work for eight months but last month her paycheck was $15654 just working on the laptop for a few hours. Read more on this web site..Read More

2. Terragot says:

Well tickle me chin and call me a plonka’, sounds li’ they bleemin’ well britished up ol’ Physcho even moah’. Tiddle-to don’t cha’ know, ey’ Lads?

• subedii says:

I guess they couldn’t get hold of the original VA. I have to say I felt he was a lot better.

• Shooop says:

Does that mean he won’t call anyone a muppet anymore?

There’s even less reason to give a shit about this game.

3. BD says:

That’s not Psycho.

They didn’t get the old VO to do the work.

Oh well.

4. kyrieee says:

Four games in and they still haven’t figured out to not make it about monsters.

• Wreckdum says:

Crytek… Well hopefully Warface will be half decent… All the gunplay of Crysis and NONE OF THE ALIENS! ….. *fingers crossed*

• Dominic White says:

Because that’s how you solve repetition in shooters, isn’t it? By removing every single enemy type outside ‘Man With Gun’. And every weapon needs to kill in one headshot, too, effectively making them all identical, too.

I’m personally glad that Crytek are still making games with some variety.

• Iskariot says:

I agree completely. Some want to make every game an average COD game. I am glad Crysis is nothing like that. I love the variety of human and non-human opponents.

5. mehteh says:

Gorgeous looking, but thats all its got going. The console focus and bloated nature of this FPS (big HUD, vignetting when getting hit, ridiculous size of the weapons, QTEs, slow and clunky console gameplay, etc) has me sighing in disgust.

• Dervish says:

Any HUD at all is considered consolitis now?

Nice edit but I think you need to compare with the original Crysis before you say this is “big.”

• F3ck says:

Every fucking game is like this now…

…feels like my my mouse is submerged in maple syrup…

Every. Fucking.Game.

• MrLakestream says:

So I suppose the “on rails” section is meant to be ironic?

AlwaysRight says:

Green, Green, Green, Green, PURPLE! #avatars

• SelfEsteemFund says:

We’ll get a non retard-centric fps at some point though right guys? ..g-guys? :’[

6. Blackcompany says:

Crysis would be a great series. Except for the aliens. Those are shit. Bipedal damage sponges with weird armor. Why not just play borderlands since it has the advantage of being, you know, actually fun.

• Shooop says:

Borderlands has that advantage over most games actually.

• F3ck says:

I was watching this and thinking: if this weren’t taking itself so seriously (a la Borderlands) and just had something else, something different

It doesn’t have to be the zaniness of Pandora, but it seemed like Crysis was something beautiful and fresh when I first played it…

…now it feels like they just keep taking away from the game – rather than adding anything making it worth revisiting.

• Shezo says:

And enemies in Borderlands are not bullet sponges, eh ?

• Chris D says:

Depends on the level difference mostly. That and making sure you’re using the right damage type. At least half of Borderlands’ DNA is RPG based. In my opinion it’s really good fun if you take it on those terms, though anyone who was expecting it to behave like a pure shooter may well be disappointed.

7. jimbonbon says:

At least the feature of the moment is there… zip-lines.

• F3ck says:

They would have given him a wing-suit too…unless the game’s too linear.

8. Syra says:

At first I was like… this looks gorgeous… but they went to all that effort to make that beautiful long grass and the goddamn explosives don’t even leave craters of dirt? WTF IMMERSION BROKEN

He’s knocking over trees with bullets but he can’t kill a few blades of grass with a grenade launcher.

• SuicideKing says:

yeah you’re right, i missed that. I’m not sure i saw the grass reacting to movement either (as in, NPC/player movement).

But there’s interactive water, if that floats your boat.

• -SD- says:

The grass does react to character models and such. Watch the clip more closely.

9. Ryan Huggins says:

IT IS VERY PRETTY.

10. Cytrom says:

Its pretty ironic, that despite the bumpy road, it was ubisoft who finally made the proper sequel to far cry, keeping the original gameplay concept intact and even enhancing it and bringing it to a bigger scale, while crytek only managed to pimp out the graphics and turned the gameplay into cod with nanosuits. Don’t get me wrong this looked great, its just bothers me that crytek has comformed into this generic MMS trend instead of continuing the revolution they have started with FC.

Also, that guy doesn’t look or sound like psycho… at least they could have kept the look.

11. SuicideKing says:

At first i was like…oh come on, another video in that dome, with tall grass, aliens and a bow.

Then i was like, that’s going to make me jump.

Slightly CoD/BF style scripted train ride though.

Did anyone else notice how many times the FPS dropped?

• skinlo says:

Can’t tell from a recorded video on Youtube.

• mseifullah says:

Came here to say exactly that about the framerate drops. Either they were playing this on a console or this is going to bring the average gaming PC to it’s knees when every graphical feature is turned all the way up.

12. mikmanner says:

Oh boy that’s boring, anyone else feel like they’ve been playing this game for 20 years?

13. nimzy says:

After reading the article title I was abruptly reminded we still don’t have a game (as far as I can tell) based on The Most Dangerous Game.

14. yourgrandma says:

Looks awfully boring… just like crysis 2. Also could they possibly make the weapon models take up more of the screen?

• Iskariot says:

Boring?
      What a weird statement..
      Either you do not like shooters at all, or you are one of those with that typical ‘lets-bash-crysis’ mindset.

15. wodin says:

Fucking Roast potatoes…never heard that expression before..

16. Synesthesia says:

wasnt prophet dead since crysis 2?

• subedii says:

*SPOILERS* (Obviously):

Yes and no. Prophet ended up “merging” with Alcatraz at the end of C2. The suit was symbiotic and effectively contained prophet’s “ghost” in it.

Not entirely surprising given the author of the game wrote Altered Carbon.

17. Mctittles says:

The main action in the game took place somewhere that looked the size of someone’s backyard. Then cutscene and “on rails” shooting.

18. Sparkasaurusmex says:

maaan it looks like all the parts are completely scripted :/

19. Iskariot says:

I am very much looking forward to adding this game to my Crysis collection. This will be great fun.

20. matrices says:

Iskariot, how much are you being paid to repeatedly pipe up with your meaningless and suspiciously PR-like non-contributions to the conversation?

This game looks boring as fuck. Uninspired. There’s just nothing about this or past footage of the game that indicates any level of fresh or clever thinking.

Crytek had basically three good ideas – giant jungle environments, awesome graphics, and the nanosuit – and they haven’t done anything to improve on the original formula, only finding ways to detract from it.

• Iskariot says:

So because my opinion differs from yours I must be some sort of corporate enemy. What’s wrong with you?

You believe me stating I like what I see, or looking forward to this game is a more meaningless non-contribution than your subjective and unsubstantiated and repeated dragging down of this game?

Can you not accept that people have different opinions about games? Does everyone have to agree with you or else be suspect? I think that is a very adolescent world view. And I am decades past that limited way of thinking.

I apologize for being a fan of the Crysis games. I just am. Perhaps it is a lack of taste, or perhaps I am totally bonkers, but I love them. I even liked Crysis 2, even though I felt it was too linear and constricted. Nevertheless Crysis 2 was an excellent and very enjoyable scifi shooter. Elsewhere I have explained elaborately why I think so. So I will not repeat myself.

From what I have seen about Crysis 3 up to now I draw my own conclusions and they are obviously the opposite of yours. I think it looks good, it looks exciting and it looks more than inspired enough to be a good game. A game that does not have to reinvent itself to have the potential to become one of the best shooters of 2013. A game I really look forward to playing.

You do not have to agree. I am sure I would not want to play most of the games you like even if they paid me. That is life my friend. People differ!

I do not know what you expect of ‘any level of fresh or clever thinking’ as you call it and I do not know how you can negatively judge an entire game based on the snippets we have seen so far.
      Also I do not know why you would expect everyone on the planet to have the same opinion as you do.
      Try to accept that is not and never will be the case.

In short: Grow up.

21. AlienMind says:

“They really do want to make the shooter that covers everything, and is all things to all shooter-fans.”

Clear indication of off-the-peg product which will cater to exactly no one.