Getting Chippy: Potatoman Seeks The Troof

By Adam Smith on December 21st, 2012 at 7:00 pm.

I could write a thousand words and I wouldn’t be able to explain Potatoman Seeks the Troof as eloquently as the wise old tiller in the video below. He says things like, “Strange year already, what with the bears nestin’ up under the crops, givin’ them the ‘tater shakes.” What I will tell you is that it’s the new game from the home of Dino Run, Pixeljam, and it’s available for $3 or in a pack with Dino Run, and other games and soundtracks for $10. There’s even a $5 pack with an album of music and a pixel game creation tool. The trailer alone is worth $20 though and yet, bizarrely, you can watch it below for free.

Trailer of the year.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. tobecooper says:

After watching the trailer I lost the ability to speak. Mind has expanded or got blown to bits. Not sure.

2. rawrty says:

I think that was the best 3 minutes of sensical nonsense I’ve ever seen. And now I feel it is my duty to help potatoman find the troof.

3. lordcooper says:

Oh dear, I think it’s happening again.

4. Unaco says:

Live Action trailer. Do people never learn?

5. Ryan Huggins says:

I can’t even…understand…what he is saying.

But it makes me want the game, so I guess it works.

6. Velko says:

Umm… I understood perhaps one word in ten. Okay, English isn’t my native language but… hmm.

7. GernauMorat says:

I understood the words individually but not en mass

8. the.celt says:

Awesome. A bit of David Lynch . A bit of the Coen brothers. I went on to read the WIT: Drox Operative right after this, and could barely comprehend the first paragraph. It’s like my mind had to dilate. Make it feature length and all I’d be able to do after watching it is walk around town trying to rub my forearm on people while purring in a high-pitched lady voice. Salute!

9. Clean3d says:

One of his words is worth a thousand pictures.

10. LionsPhil says:

Worryingly, I think I understood that pretty well.

Maybe I’ve just listened to too much Stanley Unwin.

11. The Army of None says:

Uhm.

12. junglist 69 says:

Well thats 3.14 sec I can’t take back………..

13. Haxavier says:

For you Brits/Islanders – this is what it’s like for an American listening to a Welsh farmer (or a Cockney gangster) pull out all the stops and speak with all the slang he can possibly put on there. :)

• frightlever says:

No. No, it isn’t.

I understood everything that was said. The patois was easily understood. What confuses the ear with Welsh (really?) or Cockney is the accent. Totally different things. Someone speaking unfamiliar terms clearly and slowly is never going to be as confusing as someone speed-mumbling argot in their street voice.

Also, great video but I will never pay for the game.

• LionsPhil says:

Indeed. For those of you struggling (it may help you to imagine the translated phrases spoked in the level, even tones of a Teach Yourself Flemmish instructional cassette tape):

Malik’s the name given me after my pawdad who first flushed Idaho dirt knuckles sometime ‘afore nineteen twenty two.

My name is Malik. It was named by my father, who has been around since 1922.

I’s born out of Beatrice Beula Ann Metasky Hendersnuse and right onto sixteen foot of December snow.

My mother is Beatrice, and I was born during a snowy December.

Our Jr. obliged himself in the otter-slick boil of a June Tuesday night the almanac called “the devil’s own bathtub”.

Our child was born one Tuesday in June.

Strange year already what with the bears nestin’ up under the crops, given’ them the ‘tater shakes. Then there was the outbreak a’ land salmon that just—just made things worse.

Unusual and unfortunate events had transpired that year.

That put a hurt right on us that we han’t felt since ’37 with pappy’s potato pop bust up.

We had not suffered such difficulties since 1937, when my father’s potato-based drink efforts were stopped.

Y’see, potato pop’s ground pugs gone spoilt, rung out with barrel oil mixed with bacon milk cut with paint crackle and a woodspoon a pool shock.

Potato pop is made from rotten potatoes, flavourings, and preservatives.

Pawdad’s a one built that mix.

Potato pop was invented by my father.

Some folks dash it with low burn diesel but that ain’t Hendersnuse.

Some people make potato pop with diesel in it, but that is not in keeping with my family traditions.

My pappy and paw paw used to shed brew it and sell it thirty cent a jar ’till the law came along with a stack-dime shooter and a piece a paper sayin’ a clutch of townsfolk took blind on the stuff.

My father and grandfather used to run a microbrewery for potato pop on their premises, which they sold for thirty cents per jar. This practice was stopped by armed police, who arrived with a warrant granted on the basis of the beverage causing blindness in the local population.

That’s all stick-chuck, though.

This tale was an irrelevant aside.

First time I saw that gnat of a dug nugger I was lookin’ for my nip-shears and come up on him nestled eight fingers deep a’ feed hose.

I first saw our tiny potato son while looking for my tools. It was buried deeply in the irrigation plumbing.

The mi’t I looked into all those eyes I knew he weren’t no normal spud.

I was able to rapidly determine that it was not a normal potato.

It took us a flick to figure a rightful for our Junior.

It took us a while to work out the right occupation for our child.

Couldn’t pull plow on account of his condition.

He could not operate a plow because he was a potato.

He weren’t worth a fix a’ box marbles for house chores neither.

He could not perform household chores because he was a potato.

My wife Merma was a one to show him the dancin’ when he’s just a tot.

My wife, Merma, took it upon herself to teach him to dance while he was still a small child.

His feet weren’t put too right so he just sorta’ jumped here’n'ere a bit, but he loved it so we just let him be.

He could not dance because he was a potato.

Even though he looked a pack mule chewin’ bumblebees.

The appearance of him jumping around in an unco-ordinated fashion was comical.

Merma wanted to put the learnin’ on him just herself, keep him away from the other boys.

Merma wanted to home-school him to keep him isolated from other children.

Cain’t never could see him as nuthin’ but my own kin, though, and had ta’ treat him such which meant sendin’ him off for regular schoolin’.

I, however, could only see him as one of my own, and as such was compelled to give him a normal upbringing at a state school.

The other boys, mosta’ their paws’s chunkrut farmers, too, so they’s was keen to tatemaws just fine, but they ain’t never seen a totter plop square in the booksroom with ‘em an—s’pose it din’t set right.

The other children were mostly the sons of farmers as well, so were accustomed to the existence of potatoes. However, seeing a potato sitting in the classroom with them presumably caused them a degree of cultural shock.

They made a fool of him somethin’ fierce.

The bullied the everloving crap out of him.

Didn’t stop fer the rest a his schoolin’.

The bullied the everloving crap out of him for a long time.

A few times a year, somebody would butter him up but good.

A popular prank was to butter him, because he was a potato.

I remember one boy who jugged a gallon a his maw-dad’s brown gravy ‘n doused our Junior like mater paste on a hornet’s nest.

One particular incident involved a boy carrying a gallon of his parents’ gravy to school and pouring it all over my son, because he was a potato.

Rest a the day he were hounded by miter bats, pickin’ and a chunkin’ bits as big as Lincoln quarters outta’ his head.

This lead to him being assaulted by ravenous wildlife.

Didn’t help none he wouldn’t quit dancing.

I am concerned that my son is not a real man.

Shoulda’ kept him on the farm. He belongs on the farm.

I am a failure as a father.

Where is he now?

I wish I knew. I really do.

Everything has fallen apart.

He just left this.

It is all of him I have left.

I hope he finds it. For all our sake.

I am worried that it is all of him which is left.

14. Fiatil says:

This is probably the best game trailer I’ve ever seen. This man has so much wisdom.

15. SonicTitan says:

Holy hell. Someone’s been watching their Bad Lip Readings.

Though this one’s a bit more whimsical and less…sinister? Bug fuck insane? Seriously, what do you say to that?

16. Cryptoshrimp says:

It’s a shame. The trailer is great, but the game looks, well, terrible.

17. Berzee says:

The last scene ^_^ so good. So…excessive.

18. Lambchops says:

I don’t want to be that guy, but since nobody else has stepped up to the spud filled plate . . .

That trailer was awful.

EDIT: It appears Unaco was “that guy” earlier in the thread, should have left him to it I guess!

19. trjp says:

I’m in for anything PixelJam do – Dino Run SE is THE BEST endless runner ever made – their Vol1 Music Compilation is one of my most listened to albums – I’m always up for that stuff :)

$15 for all their stuff plus more stuff through the next year?? TAKE MY MONEY NOW!

20. ZephaniahGrey says:

I don’t know what the big deal is. I live in the American mid-west. You have to have conversations like that just to order a pizza.

21. Synesthesia says:

ok, what? i think that it… no. what? em. no. give me a sec. i need to

22. Josh W says:

This is like the indie version of one of those big grand halo trailers; doesn’t really tell you anything about the game, but wonderful for ambience. And because it’s indie, they have the leeway to try to portray something wonderfully sideways.

Comment on this story