Heart Of The Swarm Beta Opens To Order Of Pre-Orderers

By Jim Rossignol on December 21st, 2012 at 3:00 pm.

The Big Lizard send word that they’ve opened Heart Of The Swarm’s beta to people who pre-ordered before December 18th. People who pre-order from now on will be placed in a kind of vat and liquidised. No wait, I read that wrong, they will be added to the beta in subsequent waves. That’s right. There’s a download link for the client through the link, but unless you’ve got beta access it won’t work, no way, no how. Unless you’re a magician. Or a magic hacker. Or a time-traveller. Any of those is fine.

The game itself is all set for a March 2013 launch. I’ve posted a trailer below, in case you’ve forgotten what a Starcraft 2 is, for some reason.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Fazer says:

Actually, it was already available for people who preordered, but only when bought outside Blizzard store. Now Blizzard joined the rest. Which sounds as silly as it was.

• VeronicaWadlington says:

my neighbor’s sister-in-law makes $60/hr on the computer. She has been out of a job for nine months but last month her pay was $19846 just working on the computer for a few hours. Read more on this web site..Read More

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

I had preordered it from Amazon for over a year. I canceled my preorder months ago, on the grounds that I could be hit by a bus tomorrow and I would hate for my last thought to be anger at having left a game’s worth of money just sitting there in Amazon’s pocket for so long for nothing.

• FreezerBag says:

I thought Amazon didn’t charge you until they’re about to dispatch?

• Varakkys says:

They don’t. I got my beta key a couple of weeks ago from some random guy in a twitch.tv channel – he was making multiple preorders from amazon, waiting til the key was emailed and then cancelling the preorder. All he needed was a different email address for each preorder. During the half hour I was watching, he did that for half a dozen other people in the chat channel.

• Ashpolt says:

This is daft, not least because Amazon don’t charge you until just before the package dispatches.

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

You’re right, it is daft. That was kinda the point, it was a rather polite rage-cancel. Perhaps I didn’t dial up the crazy quite far enough and it came across as simply daft rather my usual tending to the fairly absurd.

But I take full responsibility and hang my head in abject shame. It is a poor comedian who blames the audience for not getting his jokes (a bit like a certain Far Cry 3 writer, now I come to think about it).

3. pakoito says:

I have been seeing so much of it in Twitch.tv that I even thought the game was already out.

4. f1x says:

I cannot wait to pay 60€ again

just trolling its gonna be about 40 actually

5. jimmm25 says:

There is still no reason to buy it directly from battlenet, it has been possible to get beta keys by pre-ordering from other retailers for weeks now, and it looks like you wont get instant access if you buy directly. It is also a few pounds cheaper from other retailers.

6. Moraven says:

There has been…10 updates to the beta. Right now the biggest thing is balance infestors. There has been some other interesting changes to old units.

They finally made carriers have the ability to change targets from range. Now they need to update interceptor behavior.

7. TΛPETRVE says:

WTF happened to Kerrigan? Why does she look like a 12-year old? Admittedly, I haven’t played SCII and I do not intend to, but this just confirms my decision.

• f1x says:

I dont know but they managed to make it look incredibly not powerful, which is a shame

In wings of liberty wasn’t like this, but still I prefer Kerrigan from SC1 (talking in terms of “badassery”)

• solidsquid says:

Guess zerg regeneration was kind to her?

• Asurmen says:

She looks no different to me than she did in SC1, but what does the way you think she looks have to do with the quality of the game?

• Totally heterosexual says:

12?

Really?

• codename_bloodfist says:

Apparently becoming a Zerg also changes your ethnicity.

• secuda says:

ARGH lets start a petition!

8. killias2 says:

Looks like I’ll be preordering HotS once I get paid….

9. MadTinkerer says:

“I’ve posted a trailer below, in case you’ve forgotten what a Starcraft 2 is, for some reason.”

I haven’t forgotten SC2, in fact since they finally implemented the “arcade feature it’s nice to start up the SC2 client and see all the mods and custom maps right there.

But I did almost forget they’re still working on HotS. I guess balancing new Terran units in multiplayer takes at least a year for each one!

• JeCa says:

Seconded, although after playing a few random custom maps I do feel like getting into the ladder again, hope I’ll be able to not take it too seriously this time around.

And regarding the terran balance thing, I find it a bit funny how about half of the “new” units shown in that trailer have been removed, with most of the other drastically redesigned. I guess it does take some time to balance a multiplayer like that, but being able to see the iterative process through constant beta patches makes for a decently interesting ride.

10. dmoe says:

What’s wrong with her face?

11. mpourdas says:

Oh gosh, more cheesy dialogs

12. GValer says: